• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Zing

Banned
That auction was discussed other forums. Some suspect that at least a few of those are reproductions. The seller babbles in selling repros already.

I don't understand why anyone would pay more than 9x the going rate of a single cart, or why anyone would even pay that. If you sell in bulk, you need a bulk rate.

Linkhero1

That auction was discussed other forums. Some suspect that at least a few of those are reproductions. The seller babbles in selling repros already.

I don't understand why anyone would pay more than 9x the going rate of a single cart, or why anyone would even pay that. If you sell in bulk, you need a bulk rate.

Probably trying to mix a real cart or two with reproductions. I mean, if anyone was going to spend that much money, I'm sure they would check all the copies.

That is the same guy we were complaining about last week.

Check out his buyer feedback. He has bought almost every copy of Eartbound for the past three months to try to corner the market.

I used to do that in WoW but on a much more massive scale.

That is idiotic.

It isn't as though Earthbound is a super rare game. Expensive, yes, but not particularly rare.

Parallacs

That is idiotic.

It isn't as though Earthbound is a super rare game. Expensive, yes, but not particularly rare.

Yes. It is very common. Looking right now, there are about 80 auctions up that actually have the game. But timewise, only about three auctions end per day.

This seller clearly has the cash to keep up with that rate while trying to resell at a higher amount. His pricing seems stupid though.

Yes. It is very common. Looking right now, there are about 80 auctions up that actually have the game. But timewise, only about three auctions end per day.

This seller clearly has the cash to keep up with that rate while trying to resell at a higher amount. His pricing seems stupid though.

All I can say to that guy is

Good luck!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well at any rate, finally got my stuff together and grabbed this:

$(KGrHqV,!o8FEJtgd2JGBRLOHVPUO!~~60_12.JPG

Big shoot em up fan, so I have no idea how i've never played Axelay, especially when i've heard so much about how great the game is. 14 bucks.
On eBay? I was just about to buy this, and I clicked back in and it was sold.

Sushigod7

Check out his buyer feedback. He has bought almost every copy of Eartbound for the past three months to try to corner the market.

Your right this person seems to have a bottomless pit of money to throw at rare games.

Neckbeards like that piece of shit are why I implore all collectors to disregard high BIN listings. Make these fuckers have actual auctions with low starting bids, no reserve. Make it not worth the effort to try to "corner the market."

I'm very tempted to "Ask the Seller" some troll questions. :D

Parallacs

Back from Tokyo. I was pretty selective with what I bought. Mostly 100-250yen games. hard finding deals this trip.

Beautiful pickups! What are you going to play first?

Wow, I didn't know Secret of Mana was the second in the series. I haven't played it yet, despite owning it for two years!

Haha.

I think his bigger mistake was buying all of those Demo carts. No one collects those pieces of crap. I see them all the time at swap meets.

I'm trying to think of a game where you could 'corner' the market if you had enough disposable income.

And I guess you could do it with the rarest of the rare games, like games that had sub-10,000 print runs.

But not Earthbound. The game sold over 140,000 copies. It's everywhere.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Just whipped through Power Rangers in one sitting, fantastic game. Natsume are so damn good! Shame they just churn out Harvest Moon these days :(

I'm trying to think of a game where you could 'corner' the market if you had enough disposable income.

And I guess you could do it with the rarest of the rare games, like games that had sub-10,000 print runs.

For ebay, all you need to do is "corner the market" on the copies available during a certain time period, not every copy ever made. If you can get uninformed "collectors" who just read some retrogaming blog post to BIN now for ten times what you paid, you win.

For ebay, all you need to do is "corner the market" on the copies available during a certain time period, not every copy ever made. If you can get uninformed "collectors" who just read some retrogaming blog post to BIN now for ten times what you paid, you win.

I'm gonna do this with Super Metroid! Here we go!

Fox Mulder

I found a CiB magical quest for $9 at a pawn shop, the game is perfect and the manual is great, but the box is pretty beat up. I don't care about the boxes, so someone can have it if they want.

42miNCn.jpg

Maybe games like Wild Guns, Dracula X and of course Hagane. Final Fight Guy even.

Actually, I would love to know which SNES games had the lowest print runs here in the U.S.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I arranged my collection alphabetically and took a (shitty iPhone) picture tonight because I was feeling bored.

I know I have StarFox, Donkey Kong Country, and Turtles in Time somewhere in my house, but I couldn't find them for the picture. One of these days I'll take a bottle of Windex and some Qtips after the dirtier carts. And I've got a whole buttload of games coming in the mail, though most are SFC. I'd say things are off to a decent start.

Teknoman

Pretty simple, really.

The last few years of Madden had tons of data on them, what with all the animated sprites, graphics for major players, logos, and fields, game code, music, and battery backup.

PERFECT for using for an RPG. :)

Think NBA live 95 would be one?

johnsmith

remember me
Just bought CIB copies of Dragon Quest 2-6 for $75 total off ebay. So $15 per game shipped. No idea if I got a good deal or not. Was going to just get the carts, but then saw that the complete versions were relatively cheap. Now I just need to find Dragon Quest 1. While a little rarer, it doesn't seem to sell for too much more.

I'll never play them but I basically want to set up a DQ shrine with my DQ figures.
ibqeXVauhRdLYr.jpg

Jhriad

Thinking about picking up a few CIB SFC games but they don't appear to have the plastic insert that holds the cart. Anyone know if there's someplace that sells them? Authentic or reproduction is fine.

Probably one of the easier ones to do this with is Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru for the Saturn. Between 5,000 and 7,500 copies exist, and it's a decent enough game to be sought after.

Thinking about picking up a few CIB SFC games but they don't appear to have the plastic insert that holds the cart. Anyone know if there's someplace that sells them? Authentic or reproduction is fine.

I'm not sure, but you might consider just buying super cheap complete games and use them as donor inserts.

Parallacs

I thought that was Super Castlevania IV? or where both reprinted?

I guess both. My copy of Dracula X is from Mexico. Still a hard game to find.

For limited runs (not counting rental-only), the best answer is Aero Fighters. Supposedly, the production was only 2,000. It sells for $275 now.

Linkhero1

Are plastic box protectors worth buying? I have a few but I have 50+ boxed N64/SNES games. I'm not sure if I should get some for the rest of my games.

Linkhero1

Parallacs

Wow nice! Congrats to him hope the buyer pays with no issue sometimes high dollar items get joke bids etc.

I was just about to post this!

Looks like the winner had 70 feedback, and all of the bids were high feedback bidders.

After reading how hard it was to get the game, I hope the sale finishes a lot better. I can't imagine shipping a $23,000 item.

Sushigod7

I was just about to post this!

Looks like the winner had 70 feedback, and all of the bids were high feedback bidders.

After reading how hard it was to get the game, I hope the sale finishes a lot better. I can't imagine shipping a $23,000 item.

Yeah the insurance on that will blow the postal workers minds!

Beatrix

This thread inspired me to look back at my collection and there's only a few games I'm willing to recollect.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Final Fantasy 3 (6)
Chrono Trigger
Starfox
Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3

Thankfully most of these are in "reasonable" price range, sadly I'll probably will never play them again. I'm just a hoarder and want these carts. ;)

Thankfully most of these are in "reasonable" price range, sadly I'll probably will never play them again. I'm just a hoarder and want these carts. ;)

Why wouldn't you play them again? In my experience most SNES titles stand the test of time and I think that's why it's so popular. I've spent twice as much time in my SNES library this past year than current gen games. Unless you're short on gaming time as it is, give those games a shot.

Anth0ny

Just picked up a perfect, grey Super Nintendo. Let's get this shit started.

I'm going to start with the basics. Anyone know the approximate values for these games?:

Super Mario All Stars + World
Link to the Past
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI

I know I could just check ebay, but I'm hoping to save some money at the flea market or an upcoming convention. Surely there's a site for this kind of stuff...

Parallacs

I'm going to start with the basics. Anyone know the approximate values for these games?:

Super Mario All Stars $15 + World - $10 < might want to just get on ebay
Link to the Past $15 < I found a boxed copy for $4 but that was luck
Yoshi's Island - $15
Donkey Kong Country - $5
Donkey Kong Country 2 - $5
Chrono Trigger- $50 (get on ebay. you won't find it at the swap meet)
Final Fantasy VI - $35 (get on ebay. you won't find it at the swap meet)

I know I could just check ebay, but I'm hoping to save some money at the flea market or an upcoming convention. Surely there's a site for this kind of stuff...

Swap Meet (flea market) Prices: @ like two months of searching. Swap meet sellers (and especially resellers) know that Mario games sell well. Any game with mario on the cover is automatically $10. It is dumb.

Linkhero1

Super Mario All Stars + World
Link to the Past
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI

Welcome to the club
Probably just timing. An excellent+ complete copy of the game should go for no less than $800 at this point. The box alone is worth several hundred if in mint condition with insert.

Although that copy doesn't have the cards and does not have a mint box. Must be newbie or idiot buyers.

It's just too crazy imo. It's not a rare game yet it's selling for top dollar.

Anth0ny

Swap Meet (flea market) Prices: @ like two months of searching. Swap meet sellers (and especially resellers) know that Mario games sell well. Any game with mario on the cover is automatically $10. It is dumb.

woah, much lower than I expected for those games. I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

Parallacs

woah, much lower than I expected for those games. I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

Just for reference, I am in the LA, Orange County area and have 15 swap meets to choose from every Saturday. I can imagine your area is a lot less saturated with videogames, so you might have to wait longer or pay more.

I like to watch videos of other people swap meet hunting for some strange reason. I watch Pat the NES punk (San Diego I think) and The Game Chasers (Dallas, Texas). All three of these guys are annoying to listen to but it is entertaining when they stumble on something huge. It sort of feeds my Storage Wars addiction.

Teknoman

Just for reference, I am in the LA, Orange County area and have 15 swap meets to choose from every Saturday. I can imagine your area is a lot less saturated with videogames, so you might have to wait longer or pay more.

I like to watch videos of other people swap meet hunting for some strange reason. I watch Pat the NES punk (San Diego I think) and The Game Chasers (Dallas, Texas). All three of these guys are annoying to listen to but it is entertaining when they stumble on something huge. It sort of feeds my Storage Wars addiction.

Glad i'm not the only one. I'm watching a flea market madness (pat) atm. It kinda helps though, since you can see what else might be hard to find/uncommon that you didnt know of.

Top Bottom