• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Zing

Banned
In the videogame collector community specifically, CIB stands for Cartridge, Instructions, Box. Not "complete in box," although perhaps other collecting communities use it to mean that
Sorry, but it's been "complete in box" since the beginning of time. The only place I have seen it be otherwise is on Nintendoage, where their database names it as such, and even then it's probably only half the users who agree.

Whenever I've said "CIB" I've always meant complete in box. Though that in itself infers the cartridge instructions and box are all included, so I guess both work.

-KRS-

Huh I didn't know about that. Just checked my Yoshi's Island cart and indeed there is one. But it was only on one side... is that normal? :S

rockmang15

Neo Member
After watching the Game Chasers on Youtube, it really got me back into my collecting and hunting after years of letting it collect dust. I Hit up a Swap meet down south Florida and Scored a MMX for $10 along with some other goodies.

A fellow Gafer buddy came over Sunday and said "man you're collection has grown alot lately, I'm guessing you're hooked on that Gaf Snes thread" lol

I wasn't... but I am now!

GulAtiCa

I generally consider CIB to be just game, box and manual. I tend to throw away the extras (though generally depending on what they are I may keep)

Fox Mulder

After watching the Game Chasers on Youtube, it really got me back into my collecting and hunting after years of letting it collect dust. I Hit up a Swap meet down south Florida and Scored a MMX for $10 along with some other goodies.

A fellow Gafer buddy came over Sunday and said "man you're collection has grown alot lately, I'm guessing you're hooked on that Gaf Snes thread" lol

I wasn't... but I am now!

I've still yet to find an awesome deal in the wild.

I'm also still in a collect everything mode, which limits my snes funds and focus. I'm still getting 360 games, finally getting into the great wii library, and recently got a bunch of Genesis titles too.

I've still yet to find an awesome deal in the wild.

I'm also still in a collect everything mode, which limits my snes funds and focus. I'm still getting 360 games, finally getting into the great wii library, and recently got a bunch of Genesis titles too.
Keep at it. You typically won't find good deals unless you do a lot of hunting.

2x

Bought a bunch of Genesis games, and I am looking right now at some original Xbox games that I missed, plus Dreamcast and Saturn titles. No to mention new Xbox 360 and Vita releases, my budget is already exploded 3 times.

Parallacs

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hey now, don't give me any ideas. I haven't started collecting Dreamcast games yet. I only have a handful :p
Dreamcast is a fun, relatively cheap system to collect. Also it takes up very little space. I have 137 (holy cow I never updated my list with Under Defeat!) games, and it only occupies one shelf in my dresser/book case thing.

Linkhero1

Dreamcast is a fun, relatively cheap system to collect. Also it takes up very little space. I have 136 games, and it only occupies one shelf in my dresser/book case thing.

I've been meaning to start collecting Dreamcast games for some time. I think it has quite a few great gems. Ahhh time to start looking. I already know what I want.

Edit: And the first game I want is $100-$200 -_-

Like all Capcom DC games, wasn't it rather easy to find back in the day? Hate it when uncommon games become so scarce/sought after seemingly overnight at some point.

I've taken to browsing the recently completed BIN listings and I'm not sure which is worse: people buying outrageously priced listings, or missing out on a super low/mistake price.

I've taken to browsing the recently completed BIN listings and I'm not sure which is worse: people buying outrageously priced listings, or missing out on a super low/mistake price.

I am pretty sure there's a way to set up email notifications through eBay if something gets posted for a specific price. Couple that with a smart phone using push notifications and that will likely increase your odds dramatically at getting something for the price you want.

I am pretty sure there's a way to set up email notifications through eBay if something gets posted for a specific price. Couple that with a smart phone using push notifications and that will likely increase your odds dramatically at getting something for the price you want.

Oh I know. This is mostly just for entertainment at this point. Thanks for the tip, though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to check some local shops to see if they may have anything first. It sucks because I loved the game back in the day.
Well, it looks like the prices vary a whole hell of a lot on ended auction copies. Dreamcast isn't nearly as popular as SNES or something, so you can find great deals from time to time. I almost cried the day I saw that I missed someone who had all the rare STGs I'll probably never be able to afford (Karous, Radilgy, Trizeal, etc.) up for auction, and all ended under $10. :(

Likewise. I don't really need the rest of the fluff included.

For me is the opposite. I was a very carefull children, and kept all my games with everything included. Unfortunately I had to sell/give everything a long time ago. Now that I have to resources to buy those games again, my memories will be better fulfiled if the game contains all the inserts. Of course, it is not possible in most cases, but when I can, I go for it. I also keep everything that comes with new games, you should see what comes inside Xbox 360 LE in Japan.

PopeReal

When I sell games on eBay I only list them as CIB if they have everything, inserts included. I list them as "w/ box and instructions" if they have that only. I figure it is better to avoid confusion that way.

For me is the opposite. I was a very carefull children, and kept all my games with everything included. Unfortunately I had to sell/give everything a long time ago. Now that I have to resources to buy those games again, my memories will be better fulfiled if the game contains all the inserts. Of course, it is not possible in most cases, but when I can, I go for it. I also keep everything that comes with new games, you should see what comes inside Xbox 360 LE in Japan.

Yeah, I'm good without the box but I like having the manuals and maps if the game came with it.

Didn't know that. Weird.

Right next to the search bar is a star and the word "save." Just set up your criteria and hit the save button. You can configure your search from my ebay.

Unfortunately, I believe that the frequency for email notifications is once a day, not immediately.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why did Cannon Spike increase in value? Might want to pick up the import (Gun Spike) because it's like, $40.

It's always been pretty pricey, if I'm not mistaken. Low print run game that was initially a budget release, but featured classic Capcom characters? Not surprising.

Linkhero1

Well, it looks like the prices vary a whole hell of a lot on ended auction copies. Dreamcast isn't nearly as popular as SNES or something, so you can find great deals from time to time. I almost cried the day I saw that I missed someone who had all the rare STGs I'll probably never be able to afford (Karous, Radilgy, Trizeal, etc.) up for auction, and all ended under $10. :(

Well, on the bright side it's only a select few games that are pretty pricey. I'm still able to get hits like Crazy Taxi for relatively cheap.

Yeah, I'm good without the box but I like having the manuals and maps if the game came with it.

I don't throw any of that away just the other inserts if I have to. They don't matter to me.

Right next to the search bar is a star and the word "save." Just set up your criteria and hit the save button. You can configure your search from my ebay.

Unfortunately, I believe that the frequency for email notifications is once a day, not immediately.

Wow. How come I didn't know about this earlier. If it were an immediate email for each listing then it would have been fantastic.

Linkhero1

Check out yes boss' advice from the shoot em up thread. Get that cheat disc that works like a pro action replay, JP version of the game, done.

I'm actually considering this. I'll see if I'm able to pick it up over the weekend at a local shop otherwise I'll just get the JP version.

Teknoman

I'm actually considering this. I'll see if I'm able to pick it up over the weekend at a local shop otherwise I'll just get the JP version.

Here is the link for the disc if you decide to go that route:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...em5ae07880e1&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13633930535642

Welp, ruined 5 of my games trying to replace the battery. Might just start putting SNES stuff on the backburner now.

Ouch...no way to send them to someone to fix them? They arent totally dead or something are they?

Ouch...no way to send them to someone to fix them? They arent totally dead or something are they?

Not sure what's wrong with them, but they don't boot anymore. The only loss was Super Mario World, though. I made sure to only attempt to practice on cartridges I didn't really mind messing up.

I'm more bummed about not being able to get the hang of soldering more than anything.

IrishNinja

Man between that metroid ice metal thread & zelda repro carts im debating a flashcart, which ones known for the best compatibility?

Well, in a weird turn of events, I took a huge risk and managed to solder in a new working battery for Earthbound, and it works like charm.

Turns out I had the iron a little too hot, and it probably fried the other boards a bit. Set it to 15w and everything went smoothly.

Sushigod7

Well, in a weird turn of events, I took a huge risk and managed to solder in a new working battery for Earthbound, and it works like charm.

Turns out I had the iron a little too hot, and it probably fried the other boards a bit. Set it to 15w and everything went smoothly.

Wow nice job practice makes perfect Mario took the bullet for the more important game.

beanman25

Say I'm not comfortable changing the battery myself, is there a site or something that will do it for me if I mail them in?

Top Bottom