• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Haha! It could be this summer, it could be years from now.

Zelda 3 should not be able to sustain it's value indefinitely because it sold over a million units in North America alone.

I remember a couple of years ago, you couldn't get Final Fantasy VII for less than 60 bucks, which is insaaaaaane. But eventually prices dipped back to normal levels again. I mean, there's just so many copies of it floating around, it was just inevitable.
I still have my copies of both Link to the Past and Final Fantasy VII, from their respective release days, complete. In fact, I never broke the tab on the hint book that came with Link to the Past. :D

Is it me or has Link to the Past game only drastically increased in price on eBay over the last couple of weeks. Now it's $25-30 BIN whereas I remember it being significantly lower recently. Why is SMW So much less than LttP?

It has gone up most definitely. I bought my copy a little over a year ago in extremely good condition for ~$15. In fact, the first I bought had an expired battery, the seller was kind enough to do a return (I wasn't expecting that tbh), and I bought a second in much better condition and a working battery for the same price, so it's not like I got a "deal"on it.

SNES collecting is becoming a vicious cycle for me. I look at some game prices and say "wow, that's too expensive" and sit on it for a few months, then come back and see the price go up and I say "wow, THAT'S too expensive" and still get nothing.

Teknoman

Well one thing about Earthbound and other RPGs, at least if you drop a decent amount...if you happen to find another by chance down the line...you can make your money back and then some.

Speaking of which...what do you guys think the lowest price you should pay for Wild Guns or Earthbound on ebay?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm one of the few that thinks that you simply shouldn't be buying Earthbound - not for its current prices.

I mean seriously - 200+ dollars for Earthbound? Is a game that will sit on your shelf really worth that much to you?

I'm one of the few that thinks that you simply shouldn't be buying Earthbound - not for its current prices.

I mean seriously - 200+ dollars for Earthbound? Is a game that will sit on your shelf really worth that much to you?

I really doubt it's coming back down, sadly. When I have the money to blow I'll sadly pay it. Loved the NES one, so I really want to play it.

Teknoman

Well for me i'd be playing it / replaying every so often. Honestly i'd probably pay 150 max, but thats because of the way things are. 200 bucks is just crazy though.

But like I said, if I do end up coughing up the money for it one day, and just happen to come across another in a thrift/video/pawn/whatever store for cheap, i'd at least make my past money back and then some.

I mean the current environment, if you want an actual cart of Earthbound, Wild Guns (NA or JP), or Hagane...you're going to have to pay at least current gen new game prices, if not more.

Kinda like that for import Genesis titles that are better than their NA/EU counterparts as well.

It means the difference between owning Earthbound and not owning Earthbound.

It's never going to be released again.

Linkhero1

I don't think Earthbound is worth even $150. I bought it for $60 two years ago and I've only played about an hour of it. I'm not willing to spend more than $60 on any loose carts -_-

This is very true. If you're not willing to spend that much, see if people will trade games.

Teknoman

I don't think Earthbound is worth even $150. I bought it for $60 two years ago and I've only played about an hour of it. I'm not willing to spend more than $60 on any loose carts -_-

This is very true. If you're not willing to spend that much, see if people will trade games.

I wish someone would sell me a copy of the game for 60 bucks lol. Been trying to trade my sealed Xenoblade on the BST thread for a decent quality loose cart Earthbound, but no bites so far.

Linkhero1

I wish someone would sell me a copy of the game for 60 bucks lol. Been trying to trade my sealed Xenoblade on the BST thread for a decent quality loose cart Earthbound, but no bites so far.

You should try CL. If I can snatch a copy for cheap locally, I wouldn't mind trading it or selling it at the cost I bought it + shipping.

Yeah, I think of Earthbound as a very, very, very expensive rental.

Buy the game, play it, then flip it, get your money back(or more, depending on how long you wait).

True, but it's a nice staple to have in your SNES collection.

Didn't Mother 2 just get released on VC?

Granted, a $300 console + whatever the cost of the SNES VC titles are going for is still way more than an Earthbound cart goes for...

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

Trading is different. I'm giving away games that I probably don't play anyway, so it's not a big loss. $200+ dollars is groceries, or my car payment, or taking my girl out, or buying my son clothes.

Now, I understand that my priorities were different even 5 years ago, when I was single, and buying $300+ Neo Geo games.

But I STILL play those Neo games. Its the nice thing about the Neo - arcade games can be played for a half hour, and then put away. I played Earthbound, and didn't get into it. Bought it for 40 new (ages ago), and sold it for $100 complete (again, ages ago). Its one of the few SNES games that I honestly don't miss.

Now Mega Man X3, that one I kick myself for...

Linkhero1

Trading is different. I'm giving away games that I probably don't play anyway, so it's not a big loss. $200+ dollars is groceries, or my car payment, or taking my girl out, or buying my son clothes.

Now, I understand that my priorities were different even 5 years ago, when I was single, and buying $300+ Neo Geo games.

But I STILL play those Neo games. Its the nice thing about the Neo - arcade games can be played for a half hour, and then put away. I played Earthbound, and didn't get into it. Bought it for 40 new (ages ago), and sold it for $100 complete (again, ages ago). Its one of the few SNES games that I honestly don't miss.
I have to say that I agree with your sentiments. It's very true that once your priorities shift that you might not get another chance at getting certain things you may want.

Now Mega Man X3, that one I kick myself for...
I got this for $60 as well :p

I did miss out on Demon's Crest, Castlevania Dracula X and Wild Guns. :(

I was lucky enough to get Earthbound for next to nothing, so that's one thing off of my list of expensive SNES stuff to buy. Honestly, the most expensive games I want at this point are Chrono Trigger and Mega Man X2 & X3.

I passed up Chrono Trigger on CL a few weeks back for $55. The label was a bit scratched up, but I really wish I had just went for it anyway.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've asked around and I've looked around but I can't find an answer, so I'll try again: will any of the repro makers replace the chips in SFC carts with translated EEPROMs? I'd really like to get repros of Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3, etc. but I'd prefer to have them on the original SFC carts. It'd probably cost a lot of money but I think it'd be cool enough to be worth it.

Teknoman

I've asked around and I've looked around but I can't find an answer, so I'll try again: will any of the repro makers replace the chips in SFC carts with translated EEPROMs? I'd really like to get repros of Bahamut Lagoon, Seiken Densetsu 3, etc. but I'd prefer to have them on the original SFC carts. It'd probably cost a lot of money but I think it'd be cool enough to be worth it.

Actually that would be pretty cool. If anything i'd just send an email to any of the more refutable repro makers and ask if its possible. Sometimes they do custom labels for people, so why not a cart? Unless its more complicated than just changing shells.

On Megaman X series, personally i'd just go with the SFC versions. Unless you've never played them/are that into the X universe and want to understand the story, its easier/cheaper to just go import.

I would contact this poster here and ask him about it: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=97442

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
On Megaman X series, personally i'd just go with the SFC versions. Unless you've never played them/are that into the X universe and want to understand the story, its easier/cheaper to just go import.
I gave up on getting the US ones for this very reason. I got X, X2, X3, Soccer, 7, and Rockman & Forte for $130.

Perfect. And he's only one state over from me. I'm definitely going to reach out to him.

$25 bucks just for providing a donor cart? Now that would be great.

He posted this:

"Keep an eye out for madden 95-98 for the main rpgs and nba live 96-98 for some of the other hacks and lesser known rpgs."

for donor cart examples, but any reason why certain sports games work?

I don't really know shit about it. But, I'm guessing it depends on what features the board has (battery/number of chips).

Here's an example of different boards:

uVoPzhP.jpg

Top is Castlevania 4, bottom is NBA Showdown. So you can see C4 would make a shitty donor since it has no battery and half the chips.

Teknoman

I don't really know shit about it. But, I'm guessing it depends on what features the board has (battery/number of chips).

uVoPzhP.jpg

Top is Castlevania 4, bottom is NBA Showdown. So you can see C4 would make a shitty donor since it has no battery and half the chips.

Makes sense.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

uVoPzhP.jpg

Pretty simple, really.

The last few years of Madden had tons of data on them, what with all the animated sprites, graphics for major players, logos, and fields, game code, music, and battery backup.

PERFECT for using for an RPG. :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What do you guys think about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160987581720?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

I've never run across an SNES game that just didnt work...most usually required some really good cleaning. Then again, if I decided to jump on it, could just be a waste of 60 bucks if it really didnt work.

I once had a copy of Mega Man 7 that I just could not get to work. I cleaned that motherfucker dozens of times. Disassembled it, did a thorough job, everything. Just would not work.

Some guy was still willing to pay 40 dollars for it though...hopefully he had better luck than I did.

Olly88

Heh, typical. The first time in ages Mystical Ninja comes up for a good price BIN is the time my bank account has been temporarily frozen/safeguarded.

Teknoman

What if the actual board is cracked or something? :p

I once had a copy of Mega Man 7 that I just could not get to work. I cleaned that motherfucker dozens of times. Disassembled it, did a thorough job, everything. Just would not work.

Some guy was still willing to pay 40 dollars for it though...hopefully he had better luck than I did.

Heh guess I better back off, never thought about that.

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160987581720?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

I've never run across an SNES game that just didnt work...most usually required some really good cleaning. Then again, if I decided to jump on it, could just be a waste of 60 bucks if it really didnt work.

I've only ever had one game I couldn't get to work (Uniracers). I cleaned it a billion times. It would get to the start menu, but when I clicked the start button it would just freeze. The music would keep going and everything, but not shit would happen.

Linkhero1

Did you try soldering a flux capacitor to the board? ;)

I'd buy broken boards if they weren't going for so much just so I can examine them.

Earthbound will come down. Eventually Nintendo will get its shit together and re-release it (it coming to Japan is a hopeful sign) and at that point the cartridge will drop in value to where it's somewhere around Chrono Trigger levels.

Pretty simple, really.

The last few years of Madden had tons of data on them, what with all the animated sprites, graphics for major players, logos, and fields, game code, music, and battery backup.

PERFECT for using for an RPG. :)
Yeah, the donor cart needs to have the ROM memory capacity as well as any other specialized chips that the repro game needs, as well as battery for save games. The late Madden games fit the bill for both technical and cost reasons: sports games are plentiful and dirt cheap, perfect for donor carts.

Linkhero1

No, but there's a good chance I flung the cart 88 miles per hour across the room in frustration.

LOL

Earthbound will come down. Eventually Nintendo will get its shit together and re-release it (it coming to Japan is a hopeful sign) and at that point the cartridge will drop in value to where it's somewhere around Chrono Trigger levels.

Maybe, maybe not. As others have pointed out in this thread VC releases don't really dent the pricing of SNES games that much. It will definitely go down, but it won't be cheap either. Chronotrigger has been climbing up in price iirc.

Teknoman

Well at any rate, finally got my stuff together and grabbed this:

$(KGrHqV,!o8FEJtgd2JGBRLOHVPUO!~~60_12.JPG

Big shoot em up fan, so I have no idea how i've never played Axelay, especially when i've heard so much about how great the game is. 14 bucks.

Top Bottom