• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

Dracula X is one of my most wanted. I don't think I'd be able to afford it for a few years :(

I scored pretty good last night:

KCKSPQD.jpg

Has that small tear right above the left shoulder spike, but it's not bad at all and the rest of the label looks great. Got some other stuff with it just to flip, depending on how ebay sales go it will have cost me $50-70 in the end.

I'm pretty ecstatic. Thought it'd be a long time before I could afford that game.

Sexy!

Teknoman

KCKSPQD.jpg

Has that small tear right above the left shoulder spike, but it's not bad at all and the rest of the label looks great. Got some other stuff with it just to flip, depending on how ebay sales go it will have cost me $50-70 in the end.

I'm pretty ecstatic. Thought it'd be a long time before I could afford that game.

Nice, congrats! lol while I was out yesterday, one of the smaller retro (really overpriced though) shops was talking about how they sold one for like 80 a few years back, but the most recent they had sold at 300...cartridge only. Which is nuts, so glad you got a fairly reasonable price.

huh...okay
1) how much does X for sfc usually go for?
2) what all do i gotta do to my snes to make it work?
3) anyone know if theyll fit in universal game cases? This might be a better option for overpriced/non text heavy SNES carts

I can answer 2 and 3.

2: Just open the cartridge slot with your hand, and look for a plastic tab on either side of the cartridge connector (or whatever its called). All you have to do is either take a flathead+hammer and bash the tabs down as flat as you can (doesnt have to be perfect, just enough so the SFC will fit).

Either that or just use needlenose pliers and rock the tabs back and forth until they break off.

3: Yup, perfectly.

Got a new shelf cause my old one was grossly inadequate. Still had to do some double stacking on the NES stuff, but at least I don't have things piled in front of other things.

I6WLvXQ.jpg

Pretty good collection for SNES considering I just started at the end of November. NES has been growing steadily also now that I'm kind of reaching the end of what I really want on SNES (outside of expensive stuff like MM7, X3, and Dracula X).

inner-G

Banned

KCKSPQD.jpg

Decatur?

I saw that one there a few weeks ago

Decatur?

I saw that one there a few weeks ago

Yep. That's the second time I've seen one there. The first one was too torn up to be in my collection.

That place definitely seems to have a steady supply of good stuff. They seem to be the most expensive out of all the disc replays though. I got DK Country from the Terre Haute one last week for $6, they had one yesterday for $14. The first time I went there back in January they had Super Metroid for $25, and this time they had one for almost $50, so they've raised some of their own prices as well.

Anyone here ever try their hand at make custom cover art for those universal game cases?

I have. Using the templates from the coverproject, I made a vertical cover for Pilotwings, was well as some covers for Phantasy Star and PSIV (using classic black grid Genesis style to match PSII and III so they'll match when together on the shelf).

I'd like to upload them to coverproject.net, but I can't get my account approved for some reason.

Edit: How do they look?

Quackula

Got a new shelf cause my old one was grossly inadequate. Still had to do some double stacking on the NES stuff, but at least I don't have things piled in front of other things.

Get some cardboard and stick them between the NES stacks. This will allow you to remove games from the bottom one without the top one falling. It works great as long as you don't remove too many of the bottom games at once.

Now im worried my earthbound cart will stop working, with how expensive it's gotten. Ive already had to replace soul blazer.

What would cause it to stop working? If the battery dies it's not too hard to replace, especially if you already know how to soldier.

Teknoman

I have. Using the templates from the coverproject, I made a vertical cover for Pilotwings, was well as some covers for Phantasy Star and PSIV (using classic black grid Genesis style to match PSII and III so they'll match when together on the shelf).

I'd like to upload them to coverproject.net, but I can't get my account approved for some reason.

Those are really nice actually. Honestly I was going to see if someone could do me a favor:

Was trying to get some Shining Force cover art using the JP front art, but with the NA style/back descriptor.

Shining Force 1,2, and in the Darkness. Its probably more for the Sega thread lol

Linkhero1

Went to all the local retro game shops in the Bay Area today. We first went to a record store that also carried a bit of games. They didn't have anything interesting in particular but I did manage to snag a copy of Brain Lords the last time I stopped by. We immediately headed out after a few minutes to check out the next spot. We came upon a gold mine, or so I thought. They have Dracula X, six copies Earthbound, Demon's Crest etc. You name it and they carried it. The problem was they over priced the shit out of their games. Dracula X cart for $200? No thank you. Earthbound cart for $399? No...no and no. Every single item they had was 3x-4x the price they're going for on eBay. They had a fantastic collection, but I can see why the place was empty and they were happy once we entered the shop. The next store we went to was a few minutes away and they were actually shut down. Yelp said otherwise but they closed a while ago due to constant robberies.

In the end I ended up getting Shadowrun for $35 from a place in Concord. I was disappointed that I couldn't find anything for a steal. If the shop that had the gold mine wasn't overpriced, I would have spent a lot of money and bought Earthbound for a few gaffers.

Went to all the local retro game shops in the Bay Area today. We first went to a record store that also carried a bit of games. They didn't have anything interesting in particular but I did manage to snag a copy of Brain Lords the last time I stopped by. We immediately headed out after a few minutes to check out the next spot. We came upon a gold mine, or so I thought. They have Dracula X, six copies Earthbound, Demon's Crest etc. You name it and they carried it. The problem was they over priced the shit out of their games. Dracula X cart for $200? No thank you. Earthbound cart for $399? No...no and no. Every single item they had was 3x-4x the price they're going for on eBay. They had a fantastic collection, but I can see why the place was empty and they were happy once we entered the shop. The next store we went to was a few minutes away and they were actually shut down. Yelp said otherwise but they closed a while ago due to constant robberies.

In the end I ended up getting Shadowrun for $35 from a place in Concord. I was disappointed that I couldn't find anything for a steal. If the shop that had the gold mine wasn't overpriced, I would have spent a lot of money and bought Earthbound for a few gaffers.

Those prices are insane. I don't get how the hell places like that stay in business, unless the lower end stuff is more reasonably priced and they just go insane with rarer item pricing.

Teknoman

Heh I was thinking about doing that myself...if I ever ran into that many for a decent price anyway.

Actually the same situation happened to us on Saturday, except we went to the over priced place first (they even had Neo Geo cartridge games in the original box) and the decent priced small store later. Actually got some nice deals at the smaller store (Congo's Caper and some Genesis stuff).

Those prices are insane. I don't get how the hell places like that stay in business, unless the lower end stuff is more reasonably priced and they just go insane with rarer item pricing.

People dont know about the prices, have cash to spend, and just get em. The store I went to was right around the corner from a fairly nice neighborhood, so I can see how they hang in there. Someone was buying Contra 1 for like 40 bucks when we went into the store. They also had Mystical Ninja 1 priced at like 50 bucks and Pilotwings for 20.

Quackula

I've heard some places will overprice some goods as a way to keep stuff in the store, so they look like they have a strong inventory. I guess the idea is that you'll pop in and buy something before leaving.

Teknoman

I downloaded the scanned covers for NA and JP, cut the JP front cover off, pasted on the NA cover, and used a Genesis logo from a template. :D

Well at any rate, I cant wait to see the other two if you choose to do them... especially if it was that easy, because that was exactly what I wanted :p Maybe we should have a custom cover art section in the OP for the SNES and Genesis threads? Or think that could be a bit much? I've seen talk of UGCs and whether or not to use custom cover art, so it could be useful?

Linkhero1

Grey Ocarina of Time cart was $50 and Super Double Dragon was $50 as well. They didn't have anything priced appropriately. Even the GBA games were over priced. I asked how long they've been in business for and apparently it's been 3 years since they opened.

I've heard some places will overprice some goods as a way to keep stuff in the store, so they look like they have a strong inventory. I guess the idea is that you'll pop in and buy something before leaving.

I really doubt this is the case. They have a lot of boxed items that aren't for sale which they use to display inventory.

Quackula

Grey Ocarina of Time cart was $50 and Super Double Dragon was $50 as well. They didn't have anything priced appropriately. Even the GBA games were over priced. I asked how long they've been in business for and apparently it's been 3 years since they opened.

I really doubt this is the case. They have a lot of boxed items that aren't for sale which they use to display inventory.

Do they sell anything besides games? Maybe they stay afloat through something else.

IDK, I've got a few overpriced sellers locally too, but they've been around a while and seem to know what they're doing. (They're also leechers who buy up every decent game deal in town)

Linkhero1

Do they sell anything besides games? Maybe they stay afloat through something else.

IDK, I've got a few overpriced sellers locally too, but they've been around a while and seem to know what they're doing. (They're also leechers who buy up every decent game deal in town)

Not from what I could tell. They had stacks of a lot of games all over. It's a family owned business so it might not be the only business they own.

Those are awesome looking. Makes me want to hunt down a copy of PS4.

People dont know about the prices, have cash to spend, and just get em. The store I went to was right around the corner from a fairly nice neighborhood, so I can see how they hang in there. Someone was buying Contra 1 for like 40 bucks when we went into the store. They also had Mystical Ninja 1 priced at like 50 bucks and Pilotwings for 20.

Shit is crazy. I just got Mystical Ninja last week for $7.

Teknoman

Amano art makes any box look great.

Friend just moved into a new apartment. The landlord told him the last tenants trashed the place. This was sitting on a bookshelf in a black Nintendo sleeve:

Too bad they didn't forget more. But, still pretty awesome.

Thats crazy that they trashed the place, but just have a really good copy of Zelda 1 (no black spots or anything) just lying around lol.

Niwa

I got around €350 for my boxed copy (box and manual were in bad shape). I think for the cartridge alone it'd be around €150. I don't think you'll be able to find a genuine box without the game though.

Oh Boy! Are the ones on ebay replicates?

I wish I could get that much for it.

Those prices are insane. I don't get how the hell places like that stay in business
I thought the same three years ago when I saw a mint/like new copy (with stickers) of Magic Knight Rayearth sitting in the cabinet of a Microplay store here in Ottawa: it was $125 then, which was way too high at the time. At $125 now, the shape it is in, it is almost a steal when you consider market prices. Maybe someday that $399 Earthbound will look like a bargain! ;)

Well at any rate, I cant wait to see the other two if you choose to do them... especially if it was that easy, because that was exactly what I wanted :p Maybe we should have a custom cover art section in the OP for the SNES and Genesis threads? Or think that could be a bit much? I've seen talk of UGCs and whether or not to use custom cover art, so it could be useful?
Hope the SNES bros don't mind all these Genny covers in here

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in Winnipeg visiting my partner this weekend, and we went to the local retro shop P-n-P Games yesterday to see if there was anything good. Well, there wasn't really any good games in stock, and stuff like NBA Jam T.E. was being sold for $20, soooo I don't think it would have mattered.

On the other hand, I found a guy on Kijiji selling a bunch of good games and I'm going to meet him in an hour. Soul Blazer, Robotrek, Pocky & Rocky, Axelay, and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts will soon be mine.

GulAtiCa

Look like my $500 will clear today in my Paypal account. And then back to buying stuff I don't really need! Yes!

lol. I know for sure I'll go after Mega Man X3.

Thats crazy that they trashed the place, but just have a really good copy of Zelda 1 (no black spots or anything) just lying around lol.

The back has a little bit of black rubbing, but yeah. It's real nice looking overall, and it was in a black sleeve. I find it funny imagining that these people who refused to pay rent and trashed the place when they got booted had an entire bookshelf of nice well taken care of NES games.

Just won an auction for FF6 JP. Mainly bought it for that amazing box art. I think it's one of the greatest game covers of all time.

Niiiice. I really didn't overly care for FF6 (played it for the first time back in December). But, that art is so awesome I still want to buy it. I wish FF4's art wasn't so lame.

So I popped in Gradius 3 last night trying to 1CC it, I put about 2 hours into it. The last Gradius I played was the GBA one Gradius Galaxies back when in 2001 and remember really enjoying it. I am soooo close to beating this one I can feel it. I woke up this morning and got to the boss rush area which I believe is before the last level, then proceeded to get trapped in the shifting wall level, totally fucking me over.

Linkhero1

I'm soooo close to completing my SNES collection. I just need several games but they're all too expensive for my current budget. I think I'll move onto collecting N64 and NES games since they're relatively cheaper than SNES.

Anth0ny

I'm soooo close to completing my SNES collection. I just need several games but they're all too expensive for my current budget. I think I'll move onto collecting N64 and NES games since they're relatively cheaper than SNES.

Way ahead of you.

Who wants to start the thread? lol

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I went back and grabbed a few GBA games this last week, I think I might try to finish off that one too. Thankfully prices haven't gotten too insane yet. Don't think I'll ever be able to afford Ninja Five-O though.

I worked on N64 right before I slipped into SNES collecting. I got most of what I wanted, but I'm sure there are a few stragglers I forgot about. Can't wait for the thread!
It's not hard to have a good N64 collection: Nintendo/Rare/Konami, boom!, over.

I'm oversimplifying a bit, but for my taste, I'll never need more than 25 games for the system, if that (I don't even care that much about Rare's games). I was 19 at the time of the launch, so that might explain a thing or two (lack of nostalgia being one). That being said, my collector heart will gladly follow that thread when it's created. :)

Teknoman

All i need are Ogre Battle 64, the three Bomberman games, F-Zero X, an actual Sin and Punishment cartridge, and Mystical Ninja 64.

Jhriad

There was a buy it now that popped up for cheaper than what I ended up paying for it. You should look for that one.

Kinda curious if your copy will have the plastic insert. I didn't see it in the picture so I assumed it wasn't included when I bid. Also lost the bid on the SFC FFV the same seller had. Wasn't really trying for it though.

This thread needs to die. It's making people interested in buying old games and my wallet doesn't appreciate the competition.

Way ahead of you.

Who wants to start the thread? lol

I've considered starting a General Game Collecting OT but, if I'm being honest, I was afraid it would reignite the interest in the hobby for more Gaffers so I decided it could wait. In the past 30 days I've been outbid on 64 different items.

I only have about 15 N64 games, but I feel like I already have everything I want. I'm only missing the prohibitively expensive Bangaioh.

People who say this kind of thing really need to look at the library again and realize how good so many of the games they are ignoring are... NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, all have lots of games that are absolutely worth getting, and the big name titles are definitely not the only ones.

That kind of "a couple of the most popular games is all I need" attitude is one of the reasons why I make those "game review summaries" threads, with reviews of all the game I have/have played for a system...

On that note, my SNES reviews list remains about 2/3rds done, so I still need to go back and write those last ~50 reviews...

Top Bottom