• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Linkhero1

I'm going to revisit my N64 collection. I think I have around 50 games but I'm definitely missing a handful of games I do want such as Quake and Doom.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People who say this kind of thing really need to look at the library again and realize how good so many of the games they are ignoring are... NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, all have lots of games that are absolutely worth getting, and the big name titles are definitely not the only ones.

That kind of "a couple of the most popular games is all I need" attitude is one of the reasons why I make those "game review summaries" threads, with reviews of all the game I have/have played for a system...

On that note, my SNES reviews list remains about 2/3rds done, so I still need to go back and write those last ~50 reviews...
I feel you are right for most consoles.. But N64? Enh... I think a ~15 game collection would cover most of the hits for a non-hardcore collector.

Teknoman

I'm not counting better made ports either. Like OoT? I dont really need that since the 3DS version just feels much better and is pretty much the same game.

Link to the Past for SNES is different, since thats pretty much the best version when weighing pros and cons of other releases (GBA). Same with Majora's Mask since it hasnt been rereleased in any improving on it (unless you count the VC release, but thats another story).

I feel you are right for most consoles.. But N64? Enh... I think a ~15 game collection would cover most of the hits for a non-hardcore collector.

I have over 150 N64 games, and I definitely do not have all of the games worth owning.

And sure I may love the system, but seriously, a big part of the problem is that people don't give a lot of the library a chance to begin with... they should rectify that by trying more games. Some of them are great.

Zing

Banned
Look like my $500 will clear today in my Paypal account. And then back to buying stuff I don't really need! Yes!

lol. I know for sure I'll go after Mega Man X3.

Speaking of Mega Man X3…

8569266291_9be9c196a1.jpg

I found these two on a Kijiji listing. $150 for both, definitely more than I would ever wish to pay for a cart-only game, but less than eBay rate and the labels aren't jacked like 95% of eBay listings for this game. Now I just need the manual!

inner-G

Banned
I need help GAF.

I'm running out of space for SNES carts, and I need some advice.

Here's my cart-only games:

I think its like 150+. Should I:

A. Fork out the dough for universal game cases

Or

B. Put them in some cheaper rack, or horizontally on some shelves or something.

I like the universal case idea, but its a lot of money and work to print all the labels, plus I'd still need shelving for the cases.

Ultimately though, that may be the coolest/best method.

What do you think?

Teknoman

Buy a shelf or some sort of larger container first. After than, i'd get UGC if you want to protect the games. Its not really necessary, but it looks nice, and keeps them safe from anything random.

I need help GAF.

Or

I like the universal case idea, but its a lot of money and work to print all the labels, plus I'd still need shelving for the cases.

What do you think?

Sell them while the market's hot and use the money to put your kids through college.

I need help GAF.

Or

What do you think?

Now that I have a handful of rarer things, I'm really wanting to get some UGC. Don't want things like Earthbound having it's label rub against other things. But, yeah. That'll take up even more space so if you're hurting for space or something, you'd still have problems. But, at least your carts should be better protected.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I snagged all five for $110 CAD total. I think I did okay.

I'm seriously considering the UGCs, but my issue is I can't seem to find any for SFC carts. I have a ton of them coming in the mail and I'd absolutely like to protect them.

I've been thinking about getting a SNES Jr. (again, I sold the one I used to have years ago) and having it modded for component/s-video output. Anyone know a good place to get that done?

I snagged all five for $110 CAD total. I think I did okay.

I'm seriously considering the UGCs, but my issue is I can't seem to find any for SFC carts. I have a ton of them coming in the mail and I'd absolutely like to protect them.

I've been thinking about getting a SNES Jr. (again, I sold the one I used to have years ago) and having it modded for component/s-video output. Anyone know a good place to get that done?

Why get a jr if the original works with s video outta the box?

Because the original Super NES is a ghastly looking machine? I know that's one of the reasons I purchased my SNES mini and got rid of my non-yellow Super NES. (The other is that it reminds me a bit of the Super Famicom/PAL SNES; I hook up PAL controllers and it looks pretty neat!)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Less likely to get disgustingly yellow, mostly. Hah. Every SNES I've had has ended up pretty grody except the Jr. I've also heard it has a superior video chip, but you have to hack in S-video.

Oh, and yeah, it's hideous. If I could get a Super Famicom and not have to chop up the case to play US carts I totally would.

Kainazzo

If you properly mod a Jr. for s-video, the quality will be better than that of an original (the difference varies between original variants). Some late SNESs are almost indistinguishable from a Jr., but in general the latter has a better video encoder.

Teknoman

UGCs work just fine for SFC carts.

The only things you ever have to mod them for are NES carts and maybe...I dunno...Jaguar or Neo Geo carts lol.

Teknoman

I was mostly having trouble finding scans. Though I didn't look too hard, I just didn't find much at The Cover Project.

Ohhh...in that case, i'd say just get some talented GAF members to make cover art for you. Cover project does have a few SFC covers for some of the more popular titles...but i'm having trouble finding stuff for games like Super Adventure Island myself.

Zing

Banned
The Jr is extremely cheaply made. The plastic is thin. The case is so light, it slides around. They didn't even bother to paint the lettering on the case. Nintendo simply had their engineers redesign the SNES to use the most cheap design and Chinese parts possible. Even the new controllers are worse. It's a prime example of what you don't want in a redesign from a consumer perspective.

Compare this to the PSone. Sony redesigned their system to be more efficient to manufacture and ship, more reliable and durable, and look great. They did all this, used superior parts than in the original model, and still managed to cut costs and retail price to a minimum.

Sony designed their system to be better, while Nintendo designed theirs to be cheaper. Stick with the original SNES.

Linkhero1

I need help GAF.

Or

What do you think?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70104099/

billy-bookcase__57384_PE162946_S4.jpg

Cheap, lots of room, sexy

I need help GAF.

Or

What do you think?
I recommend only making cases to display the games you really like and want to play, leave the rest packed up in tubs.

Kainazzo

Sony designed their system to be better, while Nintendo designed theirs to be cheaper. Stick with the original SNES.

I was going to touch on that above. Although the Jr. can have a higher quality video signal, it's honestly tough to notice unless you see the two side by side. I'm a stickler for the SNES, but as long I'm running RGB on a nice television, I have a hard time telling the difference. Definitely don't rush to buy a Jr. if you just want a marginal boost in video quality.

Nintendo removing features is an interesting cycle though:

-Top-Loader NES removed composite video (unless you get the Japanese model)
-SNES Jr. removed native s-video/RGB
-Late N64 models removed moddable RGB output
-Gamecube took out component/480p output
-Later Wiis do not have disc drives capable of DVD playback (via modding), some do not play Gamecube games, and some aren't even online-enabled.

Wonder what's in store for the Wii U!

inner-G

Banned
Lots of good ideas, I'm gonna marinate on it for a bit. In my heart, I want UGCs, and I don't want to waste money on a stopgap either.

plc268

It looks really easy, if you know someone who can solder decently it should be no problem. Need to give it a go myself one of these days.

Guide here.

That's for adding capability for using an rgb scart cable.

Svideo is slightly more complicated:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...ur-Super-Nintendo-Mini-Jr-model-2-for-S-video

I was going to touch on that above. Although the Jr. can have a higher quality video signal, it's honestly tough to notice unless you see the two side by side. I'm a stickler for the SNES, but as long I'm running RGB on a nice television, I have a hard time telling the difference. Definitely don't rush to buy a Jr. if you just want a marginal boost in video quality.

-Later Wiis do not have disc drives capable of DVD playback (via modding), some do not play Gamecube games, and some aren't even online-enabled.

Yea, but the difference between 1chips and non 1chips are pretty noticeable. With the jrs, you're guaranteed to get a 1chip. With the normal snes, it's more of a crapshoot.

Plus, I like the jr design more, and it's less prone to yellowing. A couple of mods (svideo, rgb, power led, sfc tabs), and it's the ultimate snes.

Apparently If you complained to Nintendo about poor video on your top-loading NES you could send it in and they'd send you one back with composite video out via an AV connector like the AV Famicom.

Zing

Banned
To find a non-yellowing SNES, look for:
Two rubber feet, not four
Injection molded "eject" on the eject button instead of painted
No locking mechanism
Warning sticker above the power button, although this has often been removed over time

These are the attributes of the later production runs which do not yellow.

I bought a SNES Jr brand new in box. The video and build quality was poor compared to my old system. I promptly packed it away for good after running a bunch of tests to confirm. I still have it and would sell if anyone is interested in an essential NIB SNES Jr. I also have the matching controller which is new-in-box. The controller is extremely difficult to find with a legit seal. I've only seen two, ever, on eBay. Every other controller in box is a bootleg.

7565455954_6b422d9841_n.jpg
7565455550_e0a7db1f52_n.jpg

To find a non-yellowing SNES, look for:
Two rubber feet, not four
Injection molded "eject" on the eject button instead of painted
No locking mechanism
Warning sticker above the power button, although this has often been removed over time
That's my SNES, purchased launch day in 1991.

The only 'yellowing' is very very slight discoloration of the plastic around the controller ports.

Thaedolus

I've got two SNES systems, one with a busted power port, the other works fine. The bottom half of the working one is yellow, the top is good. The bottom of the broken one is good, the top is yellow. I've been considering swapping the two, but unless I gut the working one, I'll have a fully yellow working one and a gray broken one.

Decisions...

(Working system was given to me from a friend, has the warning sticker on the top. Broken system is from Christmas 1991.)

owlbeak

Are the Starfox Super Weekend edition cartridges still going for $400-600? I have had one since I bought it from Nintendo Power back in '94. I think there's only ~2,000 of them?

I've got two SNES systems, one with a busted power port, the other works fine. The bottom half of the working one is yellow, the top is good. The bottom of the broken one is good, the top is yellow. I've been considering swapping the two, but unless I gut the working one, I'll have a fully yellow working one and a gray broken one.

Decisions...

(Working system was given to me from a friend, has the warning sticker on the top. Broken system is from Christmas 1991.)

I've never disassembled a SNES... why can't you put working guts into the good shells?

You could also whip up some Retr0brite: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

Credo

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in the thread before, but what exactly causes the yellowing? I got my system in March 1992 and have kept it stored in a plastic container when not playing it, and it looks just like it did in 1992 with no discoloration. Is it exposure to the sun or something else that causes the yellowing or is it just luck that some people's stay the same and some people's turn yellow?

ys45

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in the thread before, but what exactly causes the yellowing? I got my system in March 1992 and have kept it stored in a plastic container when not playing it, and it looks just like it did in 1992 with no discoloration. Is it exposure to the sun or something else that causes the yellowing or is it just luck that some people's stay the same and some people's turn yellow?

Seem to be caused by some chemical fire retardant in the plastic.

http://www.tested.com/tech/2505-why-your-old-super-nintendo-looks-super-yellow/

I've never disassembled a SNES... why can't you put working guts into the good shells?

You could also whip up some Retr0brite: http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

I need to try this sometime. My brother and I have two SNES 1s from when we were kids sitting in a closet that are super yellow on top (bottoms are fine). I like my smaller Jr. but it'd be fun to try just to see how well it works.

Are the Starfox Super Weekend edition cartridges still going for $400-600? I have had one since I bought it from Nintendo Power back in '94. I think there's only ~2,000 of them?

Looks like they go for about $600 on ebay. Here's an active one right now and there are a ton of successfully sold ones for about that.

If you do sell, make sure you make it clear that it's original as there are reproductions of it all over the place.

Replacement labels are easily bought or printed. An X3 cart with no label would be a good deal even at $100 given the current prices ($170-180 with ripped label).

Yep. I'd guess that sells for somewhere around $70-90.

Linkhero1

What's the best cleaning solution for the SNES? I remember someone posted one a while back but I wasn't able to find it. I finally bought some security bits so I can open up my console and carts.

Can't wait to find dead spiders, roaches, etc. in my carts and consoles

Top Bottom