• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Sony designed their system to be better, while Nintendo designed theirs to be cheaper.

But the very first revision of original Sony Playstation (SCPH 1001) with RCA outputs still provides the best audio. You can check audiophile forums for threads about people tracking those down.

And look at PS3, over they years they stripped PS2 hardware BC, PS2 hardware/software hybrid BC, SACD playback, USB ports, etc. They're guilty of removing features to keep costs down too.

But the very first revision of original Sony Playstation (SCPH 1001) with RCA outputs still provides the best audio. You can check audiophile forums for threads about people tracking those down.

And look at PS3, over they years they stripped PS2 hardware BC, PS2 hardware/software hybrid BC, SACD playback, USB ports, etc. They're guilty of removing features to keep costs down too.
Good counterpoints.

Off topic: Regarding system appearances, I don't really get why some would, on one hand, criticize the Wii/U for its looking like an external hard drive (it does), and on the other hand praise the PS2 slim for its sleekness: it also looks like a hard drive! Phat PS2 all the way for me! ;)

^

What are the three SNES carts sitting on their own shelf?

Couldn't modify the shelves to make room so I just stuck the ones that didn't fit in there. The tower is connected in the middle because they are just some cheap ones I picked up so its limited. Some NHL game that came with the SNES I bought, Gradius 3, and Tetris Attack.

InfectedZero, what did you think of Aliens: Infestation? (Word on the street (lol) is that it's some sort of metroidvania "clone"; I'm intrigued, especially since it's so cheap.)

InfectedZero, what did you think of Aliens: Infestation? (Word on the street (lol) is that it's some sort of metroidvania "clone"; I'm intrigued, especially since it's so cheap.)

It's cheap and fun, definitely worth a play through. Expect slow, methodical movement, ammo watching and dying. Not really a Metroidvania per se, but it borrow heavily from the style.

Edit: I know, I'm not InfectedZero.

Fox Mulder

Got damn! Where did you score that all from?

at a pawn shop near me that I've been picking from lately. They had some rare Wii games that I sold for profit a few weeks ago, and get a decent stream of SNES games, so I keep popping in.

It was a quick visit today, but it I might go back tomorrow to get a couple things I left like super castlevania 4, link to the past, and a better condition DKC3 than what I have.

Pretty much what Omegasquash said. I think in my mind I made the error of expecting a metroidvania. But for what it is and for $15, it was worth it. Better then Colonial Marines I bet! ahahah

This final dungeon in Final Fantasy V is no fucking joke. Gonna need some nice and easy FF2 after this.

Damn, that's a decent price? Glad that's one of the few games that survived my childhood.

It is no joke at all, I see why they were reluctant to bring the game over. If you don't know how to utilize the job system correctly, the game will cream you. If you can...well...there will still be parts where the game will show you up but crushing the final boss and he only getting in like 4 attacks total was a great feel!

It is no joke at all, I see why they were reluctant to bring the game over. If you don't know how to utilize the job system correctly, the game will cream you. If you can...well...there will still be parts where the game will show you up but crushing the final boss and he only getting in like 4 attacks total was a great feel!

I thought I had an okay party for a first timer and feel like I've done a decent amount of grinding throughout the entire game.

Party (all level 41):

Knight - Dual Wielding
Mime - Dual Cast - Time - Black
Mime - Dual Cast - White - Summons
Knight - White Magic

I assume my knights are kind of the weak links that I should have gone with a mystic knight or something. Too late now.

I thought I had an okay party for a first timer and feel like I've done a decent amount of grinding throughout the entire game.

Party (all level 41):

Knight - Dual Wielding
Mime - Dual Cast - Time - Black
Mime - Dual Cast - White - Summons
Knight - White Magic

I assume my knights are kind of the weak links that I should have gone with a mystic knight or something. Too late now.

If you can unlock the final save point (Have to fight a tricky boss), farm around that area. Average encounters give 20+ AP and Movers (Very rare) give easily over 100 AP...you could master any class with ease!

Try to master Hunter and Mystic Knight. They both have great benefits for a fighter. Mastering Red Mage does wonders for your mages since you get the ability to cast two spells at once.

If you can unlock the final save point (Have to fight a tricky boss), farm around that area. Average encounters give 20+ AP and Movers (Very rare) give easily over 100 AP...you could master any class with ease!

Try to master Hunter and Mystic Knight. They both have great benefits for a fighter. Mastering Red Mage does wonders for your mages since you get the ability to cast two spells at once.

Yeah, that's exactly where I've been grinding for a bit. Already have the dual cast for my mages. Giving it a go right now, if I lose I'll level up my fighters with some hunting and mystic knight.

Yeah, that's exactly where I've been grinding for a bit. Already have the dual cast for my mages. Giving it a go right now, if I lose I'll level up my fighters with some hunting and mystic knight.

And as a tip for the second form of the final boss, you can summon Odin from the Magic Lamp and he'll kill off one of the sections.

Also GP toss is great to have on everyone. Oh and you can earn Ragnarok in the final area, you just have to beat Shinryu. I think you can steal the best katana in the game in the Cleft Dimension (castle area).

Do you have Mighty Guard?

-KRS-

Here's a US Mega Man X on a Swedish auction site. Not the best label, but it's gonna be interesting to see how much it goes for considering most people there aren't interested in NTSC games unless it never came out in PAL land. The current bid is around $8, but the highest bidder is a known reseller so he's surely looking to get it for cheap and resell it on ebay.

http://www.tradera.com/mega-man-x-super-nintendo-snes-ntsc-auktion_301513_177294042

Oh and there's an X2 as well, but again the highest bidder is that reseller guy.
http://www.tradera.com/mega-man-x2-super-nintendo-snes-ntsc-auktion_301513_177293759

I'm kind of thinking of bidding on X2, but I don't know if it's even worth it with that guy bidding on it.

And as a tip for the second form of the final boss, you can summon Odin from the Magic Lamp and he'll kill off one of the sections.

Also GP toss is great to have on everyone. Oh and you can earn Ragnarok in the final area, you just have to beat Shinryu. I think you can steal the best katana in the game in the Cleft Dimension (castle area).

Do you have Mighty Guard?

3QAo3ME.jpg

Didn't get mighty guard, I didn't use blue mages or skills at all. I skipped Shinryu also. Going to go back and give him a go now that I've finished the game, heard he was super hard.

Pretty much just kept dual casting Fire 3 and Bahamut while my fighters fed the Mages ethers/elixers. Final bad guy wasn't as hard as his actual dungeon was. Things almost went bad when I was down to the final piece and he took out half the team with Meteor.

Over all, really liked it. Main cast wasn't nearly as awesome as FF4, they were kind of plain really outside of Faris. But, the job system was just awesome to play around with and figure out what skills you wanted and everything. Had some cool story elements and changing locations.
Galuf's death
was completely unexpected, so that was a neat twist.

Pretty cool.

Remember to pack some rings to absorb Tidal Wave or you won't get anywhere!

And steal lances from the Crystal Dragons because they tear him up.

Teknoman

About Nosferatu, should be pretty import friendly right? Doesnt seem to have much in the way of required dialog choices from what i've seen.

-KRS-

Alright, I'll skip it then. Thanks for the quick response. :)

Edit: Just so we don't misunderstand each other, I was looking to buy it, not sell it.

ys45

Just received my Knights of the round today (SFC version) .
The game is sealed and look brand new (seller never stated it was brand new in auction)

So i was wondering if there a way to check if its really brand new or if its been repackaged ?

Look new to but I'm no expert.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My first batch of SFC carts showed up in the mail yesterday: Sparkster, Do-Re-Mi Fantasy, and Magical Pop'n. Not a bad first haul.

Just received my Knights of the round today (SFC version) .
The game is sealed and look brand new (seller never stated it was brand new in auction)

So i was wondering if there a way to check if its really brand new or if its been repackaged ?

Look new to but I'm no expert.

It's a re-seal. Super Famicom games never had factory seals.

Alright, I'll skip it then. Thanks for the quick response. :)

Edit: Just so we don't misunderstand each other, I was looking to buy it, not sell it.

Yeah, Star Fox isn't worth that much. You can probably get a complete copy of it for less than 15 bucks on a good day.

-KRS-

Man I told myself that I would buy more SNES/SFC games the next time I got money, but so far I've only bought Famicom games... Haven't seen anything for the SNES that really interests me for a decent price yet this month. =/
I did end up buying Magical Taruruuto Kun for SFC though for cheap. Seems pretty decent.

Edit: ^Oh really? Damn that's cheap. I'll wait a bit then. Thanks again. :)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If you don't mind telling , how much did you pay for Do-Re-Mi ?
I got it for $50. It was an excellent deal. Magical Pop'n was $70. I probably wouldn't have dropped that much coin if I'd thought I had a chance of getting them for that price any time in the near future.

ys45

I got it for $50. It was an excellent deal. Magical Pop'n was $70. I probably wouldn't have dropped that much coin if I'd thought I had a chance of getting them for that price any time in the near future.

Wow a good deal indeed !
Considering that right now loose cart are going from 120$ to 150$ on eBay .

Danielsan

Just got a new haul in today from my spending spree this past weekend.

c6KuFcJ.jpg

Donkey Kong Country (CIB), Out of this World (CIB) and Earthworm Jim (sadly without booklet).
All the boxes and booklets are in pretty great condition.

Olly88

Bought Mystical Ninja from eBay this morning. The payment went under review though according to the seller, anyone had that happen before? Hope it doesn't take long to clear.

beanman25

I've got more games then this, but these are my favorites. It's nothing compared to some of your guys collections though!

Looking for Pocky and Rocky 2.

I've got 2x FF3 and CT. Although, I'm keeping the boxed FF3 and not touching the game anymore.

Haven't played it in a while, but if I recall correctly, the two player mode wasn't really "involving" for the second player.

Yes, first one is really hard.

Zing

Banned
Don't get in the rut of buying sequels just because you have the first game. Pocky & Rocky 2 is not worth the going rate.

I'm considering selling my spare copy of Earthbound (with the guide since I don't care about that) to grab a few of the higher dollar SNES games (maybe Hagane and Final Fight 3) before they get any more out of hand. Any other trade suggestions on that note?

Teknoman

You could trade for Undercover Cops if you like beat em ups.

On that note...i'm not really that into Shadowrun. Would anyone want to trade a JRPG for it? Its in great shape aside from the back label looking like someone tried to rip a sticker off the back.

j5yH64JodxoLd.jpg

Maybe like Lufia 1, Lufia 2, Final Fantasy III (VI), Super Mario RPG, or Breath of Fire 2? Going to also post in the BST thread.

johnsmith

remember me
God damn it. Going through my games today I just realized Super Metroid is gone. Had a ton of cousins and extended family over for the holidays, it wouldn't surprise me if that's when it disappeared. That's the only game gone too, and Earthbound is still here, so maybe I just let somebody borrow it, but I have no idea who.

Don't think I'll rebuy it physically if I can't find it since the price has gone up so much.

Teknoman

God damn it. Going through my games today I just realized Super Metroid is gone. Had a ton of cousins and extended family over for the holidays, it wouldn't surprise me if that's when it disappeared. That's the only game gone too, and Earthbound is still here, so maybe I just let somebody borrow it, but I have no idea who.

Don't think I'll rebuy it physically if I can't find it since the price has gone up so much.

If you have to, just get the Super Famicom version if cheaper. Supposed to have a 100% english setting.

Top Bottom