• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

-KRS-

Oh man that fucking sucks. Hope it turns up. :(

And yes the SFC version is in English. Actually it's the same exact ROM as the US version I believe.

Teknoman

Yeah I can relate. Awhile back my Neo Contra just up and vanished. I know I wouldnt sell it, so i'm sure I let a friend or relative borrow it. Only thing is...it had been so long, I had no idea where the game was. Luckily it wasnt that expensive.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If you have to, just get the Super Famicom version if cheaper. Supposed to have a 100% english setting.

The Japanese version of Super Metroid is literally identical to the US version. Seriously -- look at the ROM. It's called Super Metroid (UJ).smc or something along those lines, because the actual data on the Japanese cart is actually the same thing as what we got on the US cart.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Japanese version of Super Metroid is literally identical to the US version. Seriously -- look at the ROM. It's called Super Metroid (UJ).smc or something along those lines, because the actual data on the Japanese cart is actually the same thing as what we got on the US cart.

Actually you can include the PAL version in that too... also checksum identical.

Which leads me to believed that it was not retimed for PAL, and runs in slow motion on their TVs.....

Teknoman

Oh man that fucking sucks. Hope it turns up. :(

And yes the SFC version is in English. Actually it's the same exact ROM as the US version I believe.

That should help out alot of people, unless they just like the US cart art.

Danny Dudekisser

That should help out alot of people, unless they just like the US cart art.

Which they shouldn't. The Japanese cart's artwork is worlds better.

Eh, but the important thing is that we all love Super Metroid, right? i actually played through the game again about a week ago... it does not stop being good.

Yeah, Super Metroid jumping up that much is so strange.

I just found my manual for mine along with a giant stash of NES and SNES boxes and manuals, notably pretty much everything (big size manuals, maps and such) for many of the big RPG and Adventures games, Zeldas, Final Fantasy II and III, all four Dragon Warriors, etc. I need to start putting that stuff on the 'bay so I can fund a few more carts.

Danny Dudekisser

I wonder what actually caused SNES games to skyrocket in price in the last several months... it's just kinda weird. And more importantly, I guess, I wonder if it's a temporary thing rather than just the way things are gonna be from now on. I dunno...

Though, I suppose I'm glad that I already have most of the SNES/SFC games that I actually want.

I wonder what actually caused SNES games to skyrocket in price in the last several months... it's just kinda weird. And more importantly, I guess, I wonder if it's a temporary thing rather than just the way things are gonna be from now on. I dunno...

Though, I suppose I'm glad that I already have most of the SNES/SFC games that I actually want.

The trend has been there a while, actually.

I sold off (almost) my entire CIB SNES collection sometime in 2009 because I had most of the games on the VC. However, sometime late 2011 I noticed that prices were steadily climbing. Games were going for much more than what I sold them for just a short while back. So without hesitation, I bought back every single one of the games I parted with. I had a feeling things were about to get crazy.

johnsmith

remember me
Thanks for the tip on the JP version. Fortunately I thought about asking someone who'd borrowed some GBA games, and had returned those, but had also borrowed Super Metroid and still had that. Phew.

Jhriad

Getting back into collecting has me kicking myself for throwing away mint & near mint SNES boxes for all my games a few years ago. The boxes for the RPGs are just so insanely priced now.

Edit: Does anyone have any experience with the Retron 3? I'm considering kickstarting this for the game + Retron 4 combo but I don't have any experience with the systems so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Link isn't working for me.

Don't think it's coming back down, but it surely has to be slowing down. Earthbound having gone up about $50 over the last month and a half or so is insanity. Tons of theories on why. People who grew up with it are reaching the age where they have some money to spend, youtube channels/shows specializing in retro games, this year being kind of lack luster as the current gen cycle winds down. Who knows.

It's also a little high, don't you think? I've seen auctions ending in the $50s recently.

You are correct. I thought they regularly sold for about $80. I didn't look into it price wise since I decided against it. But, it did have a pretty nice label outside of a small nick. Still, not worth it.

Link isn't working for me.

Don't think it's coming back down, but it surely has to be slowing down. Earthbound having gone up about $50 over the last month and a half or so is insanity. Tons of theories on why. People who grew up with it are reaching the age where they have some money to spend, youtube channels/shows specializing in retro games, this year being kind of lack luster as the current gen cycle winds down. Who knows.

You are correct. I thought they regularly sold for about $80. I didn't look into it price wise since I decided against it. But, it did have a pretty nice label outside of a small nick. Still, not worth it.

Try it again. It's Zelda 3, in case you're wondering.

Speaking on crazy price jumps, I bought Flintstones 2 NES Christmas 2010 (or was it 2011) for $140, which I though was stupid then, but my mom sent me money for Christmas/Birthday and I was thinking "Eh, it's either with this money or never."

It's now selling for like $700 and $800. o___o;

I have a picture of me buying Little Samson on eBay for $40 in like, 2006ish.

$400-$450 now.

Speaking on crazy price jumps, I bought Flintstones 2 NES Christmas 2010 (or was it 2011) for $140, which I though was stupid then, but my mom sent me money for Christmas/Birthday and I was thinking "Eh, it's either with this money or never."

$400-$450 now.

That was a good deal even then, actually. I've been looking for Flintstones 2 for an affordable price since the turn of the new millennium, without luck.

$400-$450 now.

I don't even want to talk about the rare NES stuff I got rid of back in 2005-6. I kick myself for getting rid of my SNES stuff, but it was nothing compared to my NES stuff...

Try it again. It's Zelda 3, in case you're wondering.

Working now.

Random story. A friend was borrowing my brother's copy of LttP maybe six years ago or so and dropped it, breaking the back of it. Friend went out and bought him a CIB copy (original release not the players choice). Pretty awesome looking. Cart looks like it has never left the box.

BocoDragon

I wonder if the "impermanence" of the Wii VC is now dawning on people... they'd rather invest in carts than the ephemeral and temporarily-supported VC.

That was a good deal even then, actually. I've been looking for Flintstones 2 for an affordable price since the turn of the new millennium, without luck.
Yeah, I think I was noticing $160 average at the time.

Mine has a tiny nick in the label that only I or other insane collectors would notice. It made my cringe when I got it since my philosophy was on the high dollar games that they need to be mint...... and that was BY FAR the most I spent on an NES game. I thought about getting another and selling the other, which would have translated into me getting another and keeping the second, which would have WAY more than paid for itself by now. Oh well.

I wonder if the "impermanence" of the Wii VC is now dawning on people... they'd rather invest in carts than the ephemeral and temporarily-supported VC.

You'd think Nintendo would be seeing these prices going crazy and try and do something about getting things like Earthbound, Mega Man X series, Demon's Crest and the like on Wii U VC. Playing all that shit with the WiiU Pad support would be pretty awesome.

BocoDragon

You'd think Nintendo would be seeing these prices going crazy and try and do something about getting things like Earthbound, Mega Man X series, Demon's Crest and the like on Wii U VC. Playing all that shit with the WiiU Pad support would be pretty awesome.

It would also drop the prices for cart collectors a bit. I mean, look what happened to the price of FF7 after the PSN version.

That could be a part of it. I know I was feeling a lot better about the VC a couple of years ago, when I felt all the old classics would eventually find their way onto the service. Not so much now.

I think another huge part of it is the growing interest in retro games among people in general. It isn't just SNES games that are going up in price, it's retro games all across the board.

I think SNES games are going up the most due to that system's reputation as having the best games of all time. Quite a few people still feel it was the apex of this hobby.

Yeah, I think I was noticing $160 average at the time.

Mine has a tiny nick in the label that only I or other insane collectors would notice. It made my cringe when I got it since my philosophy was on the high dollar games that they need to be mint...... and that was BY FAR the most I spent on an NES game. I thought about getting another and selling the other, which would have translated into me getting another and keeping the second, which would have WAY more than paid for itself by now. Oh well.

I have a Complete in box copy of Little Samson. Box and manual are in beautiful, pristine condition, but there's a catch - some dork burned their initials into the plastic on the cartridge. The front. Yeah.

One of these days I'll flip it for a nicer one.

BocoDragon

That could be a part of it. I know I was feeling a lot better about the VC a couple of years ago, when I felt all the old classics would eventually find their way onto the service. Not so much now.

I think another huge part of it is the growing interest in retro games among people in general. It isn't just SNES games that are going up in price, it's retro games all across the board.

I think SNES games are going up the most due to that system's reputation as having the best games of all time. Quite a few people still feel it was the apex of this hobby.

The damn conclusion to Wreck-It Ralph has him musing that "Gamers say we're 'retro', which I guess means 'old, but cool". Respect for old games was a concluding message in a mainstream Disney film!

I know a 15 year old kid who bought his friend a SNES cart of FFIII. I used to wonder if old games would be ignored and forgotten by younger generations... leaving me feeling old and lonely... But actually, it's totally remembered by new generations, and these little shits are competing with me on eBay driving the prices up!! argh! ;)

The damn conclusion to Wreck-It Ralph has him musing that "Gamers say we're 'retro', which I guess means 'old, but cool". Respect for old games was a concluding message in a mainstream Disney film!

I know a 15 year old kid who bought his friend a SNES cart of FFIII. I used to wonder if old games would be ignored and forgotten by younger generations... leaving me feeling old and lonely... But actually, it's totally remembered by new generations, and these little shits are competing with me on eBay driving the prices up!! argh! ;)

That line got me right in the feels. Quite a few moments from that movie did, actually.

tigerkiddo said:
And I bought that LttP, thanks for the link!

Welcome.

-KRS-

Actually you can include the PAL version in that too... also checksum identical.

Which leads me to believed that it was not retimed for PAL, and runs in slow motion on their TVs.....

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but that's not right. I don't know what PAL version you have checked but my PAL cartridge of it has German and French language options, and no Japanese. I don't think that's the case with the US/JP version. And I've played hacks of the US/JP ROM on my PAL SNES and it seems to move slower than the PAL version (though I have to check that more closely.) So its odd that it would have the same checksum.

Also remember that PAL-land actually consists of many regions with separate releases. It's one of those things only PAL collectors have to care about I guess. I have the release for the NOE region. Maybe the UKV one is identical to the US/JP rom?

Edit: I just md5summed both ROMs to be sure and here's the result:
3d64f89499a403d17d530388854a7da5 Super Metroid (E) [!].smc
21f3e98df4780ee1c667b84e57d88675 Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc

Michan

Just saw this at Hamamatsucho Station in Tokyo (it's huge!):

ZcVvUtWl.jpg

Fox Mulder

The VC should be a console selling feature but Nintendo just doesn't care. It's sad how they waste the best back library in the industry.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunset-Riders-Super-Nintendo-1993-/310636164614?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item48535bb606

Not too bad of a price, considering what it goes for now and the condition it's in.

So glad I found mine in a pawn shop for $20. Gives me hope as I keep digging around town.

BocoDragon

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but that's not right. I don't know what PAL version you have checked but my PAL cartridge of it has German and French language options, and no Japanese. I don't think that's the case with the US/JP version. And I've played hacks of the US/JP ROM on my PAL SNES and it seems to move slower than the PAL version (though I have to check that more closely.) So its odd that it would have the same checksum.

Also remember that PAL-land actually consists of many regions with separate releases. It's one of those things only PAL collectors have to care about I guess. I have the release for the NOE region. Maybe the UKV one is identical to the US/JP rom?

Edit: I just md5summed both ROMs to be sure and here's the result:
3d64f89499a403d17d530388854a7da5 Super Metroid (E) [!].smc
21f3e98df4780ee1c667b84e57d88675 Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc

I suppose you're right. The SNES archiving community used to index the rom as JUE... but it seems that changed.

IrishNinja

i feel you guys on losing games...i lost Zombies Ate My Neighbors (thankfully a cheap replacement, but still one of my favorites so it stung at the time), FF IV (with maxed out characters!), and worst of all?! my momma used to buy me games blockbuster was getting rid of on the cheap, so i had the orange (?) cart of Final Fight Guy for years, now i can't find it...go on & look up what that one's worth, shit

Just saw this at Hamamatsucho Station in Tokyo (it's huge!):

yo i would go make friends with whoever over there to debo this when its time is up

$400-$450 now.
It's you?! Definitely December 2010: I was considering buying that one too but decided against it. Then, it skyrocketed in 2011 so I put the purchase on the ice. However, in 2011, I still had the presence of mind to snatch Little Samson, Bubble Bobble 2 and Bonk's Adventure on the NES when they were still "affordable". I have mostly all the rare and coveted (playable) NES games (not interested in shit like Stadium Events), yet Flintstones 2 will probably stay forever a glaring hole in my collection: I just can't bring myself to shell out $700+ for it. :(

-KRS-

Man I really want a copy of Little Samson as well. Luckily the PAL version is much cheaper, although still expensive depending on the region. Being Scandinavian I prefer to have the SCN release, but that one is more expensive than other PAL releases where I usually get games. Still, nowhere close to $400.

The NES game I'm glad I bought before it spiked is Mr. Gimmick, although it was still pretty damn expensive when I bought it.
I suppose you're right. The SNES archiving community used to index the rom as JUE... but it seems that changed.

Oh I didn't know that. Interesting.

Zing

Banned
I'm playing through Soul Blazer for the first time and it is just the kind of game for me. Linear, mildly challenging, and most importantly, no boring moments. I always wondered why it was called "Soul Blader" in Japan, until I read the story. That name sounds very odd until you realize that the character wields the "Soul Blade", which would make him the Soul Blader! Now Soul Blazer sounds lame.

I'm playing through Soul Blazer for the first time and it is just the kind of game for me. Linear, mildly challenging, and most importantly, no boring moments. I always wondered why it was called "Soul Blader" in Japan, until I read the story. That name sounds very odd until you realize that the character wields the "Soul Blade", which would make him the Soul Blader! Now Soul Blazer sounds lame.

Probably just be hearsay, but I recall a story about Enix PR not wanting "Blader" to be mistaken for "Bladder" by western game players.

I have given up in any hope in anything Earthbound related in the US. I don't understand how Nintendo can dump money into terrible games IE Metroid Other M, Wii Music, etc. and ignore anything Mother related to come over here. It must be something really hard to do programming wise to re edit the copyrighted materials *rolls eyes* It's like the keep giving the Mother fans of the world outside of Japan a hand job and then cutting off the hand right as everyone is about to orgasm. Pshhh. Maybe I am just grumpy that I had to sell my copy with big box and manual back in 2006
:(

EDIT: Also started playing Secret of Mana. Pretty damn good besides my other two characters always dying. The first boss was also pretty hard.

I hate you. Blargh.

In all seriousness though...

southpark_nice.png

Heh, heh.

You know, I actually bought the game because I played it and thought it was a really awesome game. I had no idea it would be hyper expensive someday. Same thing happened when I bought Shantae(thanks to the suggestion of The Takeout Bandit on these very boards, no less!).

Top Bottom