• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

smbu2000

Well I guess I should be fine posting this in here since I don't think there is a NES/FC thread. Anyway, finally picked up a Famicom (AV) for myself! (Along with Ducktales.)

Are the AV Famicom compatible with NA games version also ?
I remember hearing this somewhere.

If you have a pin adapter they should work fine I believe. I've seen adapters to play NA games on a FC, but I didn't have a FC until now so I didn't need one. I might pick one up now, although all of my NES games are at my parents house in the US...

Reposting this bit on the new page:
Are the AV Famicom compatible with NA games version also ?
I remember hearing this somewhere.
You need a converter, but they'll work perfectly provided you have one with everything wired up correctly (most for sale are wrong!) You can find the boards that are wired incorrectly for pretty cheap (http://r.ebay.com/X0AVQX), and they're supposedly a really easy fix (linky). Or you could spring for more and buy one that's either already been fixed or was made correctly (http://r.ebay.com/l2wEyF).

Also, yeah, expect Duck Tales 2 to go up.

smbu2000

Cool :)
With the box even! I've been thinking of getting one myself. How does the AV famicom compare picture quality-wise to an AV modded Famicom? Anyone tried?

Also like the label on the Japanese Ducktales cart with Scrooge's head sticking out of the console. And all Famicom game boxes just look great in my opinion.

And about an NES/FC thread... early in this thread I said I would make one, but lately I've become more and more depressed and have lost motivation to do things, so I don't think I'm the right guy to do it anymore. So if anyone wants to make one, go ahead. I'd probably do a terrible job with it anyway. NES/FC is my favorite console to collect for though so I hope someone makes a thread. :)

And now, please, let the SNES talk continue! :D
Yeah, I was glad it came with the box!

It's basically just his head on the cart and there's not much actually hidden. The box art is nice on the FC boxes.
The boxes are nice and small unlike the large-ish NES game boxes. Then again the NES carts are bigger. My old NES boxes would either get flattened or worn out eventually. The plastic FC game boxes hold up well unlike the cardboard FC/NES game boxes. Kind of like MD/Genesis game boxes vs SNES/SFC ones. ;-p

-KRS-

^I just love those Namco hardcases they had for some of their FC games. It's to the point where I'll buy them simply to have the box now haha.
And the regular FC boxes are so small and cute! And it's much easier to find them it good condition than the western boxes.

Ha, ha, I don't think DuckTales for NES is gonna get too pricey.

There are more DuckTales carts floating around out there than Mega Man 2 carts.

But nice minty CIB copies would be worth obtaining for sure.

Well you should never underestimate the idiocy of some collectors I guess. I saw a beat up PAL ducktales cart go for around $45 (300 SEK) a couple of days ago and it wasn't a buy it now listing... I also saw a Mega Man 1 cart in pretty bad condition go for $58 (380 SEK) a while ago. I don't know if they're new to the whole collecting scene or what it is, but those prices are just insane. I tried to bid on a Mega Man 1 cartridge yesterday but it ended at $44 (290 SEK), and I'm just not willing to pay that much (even though my max bid was 280 which was also too much really). It's not worth it. Especially not when you look at completed listings and see Mega Man 1 cartridges that has ended at around 200-220 SEK recently.

I know that NES stuff is very popular lately in Sweden but it's just ridiculous sometimes.

Sorry I just wanted to vent a little haha.

Mega Man 1's value has been on the rise lately, surprisingly. I remember passing up a $30 copy recently at a flea market thinking the seller was insane, but I looked it up and that was actually a little low.

-KRS-

Yes it seems that way. I was holding out for a CIB copy in good condition for a decent price since i have 2 and 3 CIB in good condition. But now I'm kind of regretting not buying a cartridge earlier because now I'll never be able to justify the cost of a CIB copy and the cart prices are creeping up. =/

Krelian

Speaking of Mega Man, I think I'll go the (Super) Famicom route to get a complete cart collection. The games are so much cheaper, it's not even funny. And with Mega Man games having so little text, language is not a problem either.

It was a bit expensive, I paid 8,900 yen for it (tax included.) then again I've seen local shops selling just the body (no controllers) for 7,000-8,000 yen. Auctions for just the system itself with 1 or 2 controllers can be about 7,000 yen or so and then there's shipping, etc. Plus if I have a problem with it I can take it back to the store (for a limited period of course.) My system came with both controllers, manual and box. No AV cables/Power Brick, but Nintendo doesn't include those in the box. It uses the same ones as the Super Famicom though (which I have many of!) so I just used those.

The only thing I didn't notice is that it's missing a rubber foot on the bottom! I wonder if I can swipe one from one of my SFC consoles and put it on there, heh.
Thanks for the info. 8900 Yen doesn't sound too bad I guess.

Mega Man 1's value has been on the rise lately, surprisingly. I remember passing up a $30 copy recently at a flea market thinking the seller was insane, but I looked it up and that was actually a little low.

Mega Man 5 prices are going insane. It's selling for about $60 with shipping pretty regularly.

-KRS-

$60 sounds very cheap to my ears haha. Here's one right now that ends in three days and it's currently at 600 SEK ($93). http://www.tradera.com/nintendo-spelet-mega-man-5-auktion_300810_177570184

And here's one that ended at 863 SEK ($132). http://www.tradera.com/mega-man-5-i-mycket-fint-skick-till-nintendo-nes--auktion_300813_173690148

Cart only! And that's without shipping. Welcome to Sweden, yay. :D
I suppose the PAL carts are actually more rare though. It was the last NES Mega Man game released here.

Edit: lol meanwhile here was a Japanese CIB copy that ended at 67 SEK (around $9-10) http://www.tradera.com/mega-man-5-japanskt--auktion_300813_173950864
I'll probably get one of those if I get it.

Zing

Banned
$60 for any particular cart wouldn't even phase me. I only buy games I really want to play, and I get a lot of value out of my collection. I paid $60 at a Mexican restaurant last night. Any Mega Man game would beat that in value.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Mega Man, I think I'll go the (Super) Famicom route to get a complete cart collection. The games are so much cheaper, it's not even funny. And with Mega Man games having so little text, language is not a problem either.
I got all the SFC Rockman games for significantly less than just X3 costs. Also the Famicom carts for 1-6 are really awesome looking.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Wondering if there any Must-haves that people can recommend for me. For the record I am trying to keep my SNES collection small, so I'm trying to avoid anything that isn't an amazing game, or something I have some nostalgia attached to.

Current SNES games -

Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Kirby Super Star
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Starfox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid

Games I'm planning to buy still -

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
F-Zero
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Megaman X
NBA Jam
The Lost Vikings
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tetris Attack

To get a couple of obvious recommendations out of the way - The other megaman games are out because of price. As are a handful of other games like Harvest Moon, and the other kirby games (though I have the wii collection so thats not really much of a loss) Not a fan of breath of fire, or fighting games.

Wondering if there any Must-haves that people can recommend for me. For the record I am trying to keep my SNES collection small, so I'm trying to avoid anything that isn't an amazing game, or something I have some nostalgia attached to.

Current SNES games -

Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
Earthbound
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Kirby Super Star
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Starfox
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid

Games I'm planning to buy still -

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
F-Zero
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Megaman X
NBA Jam
The Lost Vikings
Tecmo Super Bowl
Tetris Attack

To get a couple of obvious recommendations out of the way - The other megaman games are out because of price. As are a handful of other games like Harvest Moon, and the other kirby games (though I have the wii collection so thats not really much of a loss) Not a fan of breath of fire, or fighting games.

Definitely need some Konami lovin' in there.

Sparkster
Contra III
Castlevania
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Gradius III
Batman Returns
Aladdin
Magical Quest
Goof Troop
UN Squadron
Actraiser

Krelian

I got all the SFC Rockman games for significantly less than just X3 costs. Also the Famicom carts for 1-6 are really awesome looking.
True, the artwork looks more consistent anyway. I think for the Famicom games I'll try to get CIB versions, for SFC I'll be content with just the carts.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Definitely need some Konami lovin' in there.

Sparkster
Contra III
Castlevania
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Gradius III
Batman Returns
Aladdin
Magical Quest
Goof Troop
UN Squadron
Actraiser

While I can't believe I forgot castlevania, stuff like the disney games are pretty much the exact definition of "Not quite good enough to be in my collection". Like I said, trying to keep it small, so its amazing/nostalgia or no-go.

Teknoman

Lol everytime i post about trading shadowrun in the bst thread, i end up on the last post of the last page. Need to work on my timing...

DoubleTap

Just wanted to share my small pick up. Sellers from Japan are great. Even included a snack.

8581334882_88bc67fab9.jpg

Thanks to this thread I've added a few SF titles to my small library:

Super BomberMan 2
Super High Impact Football
Wild Trax (This one didn't age well, I remember enjoying it and now I can't recall how)
Star Fox
King of the Monsters 2

Picked up a 6 button pad too.

My Super Famicom seems hit and miss when I turn it on. The contacts probably need some deep cleaning.

I just placed an order at a local store for Final Fight 2, Final Fight 3 and Kendo Rage for $65.

I probably shouldn't have since I just made two REALLY big purchases in the last few weeks, but I needed those Final Fight games after how well some of the co-op beat 'em ups I had went over at my last gaming party and I think FF3 can go for $65 on its own.

So now the plan is to pretend I'm not trying to buy SNES games for a few weeks as I let my spending cache recharge.

Yeah, that'll happen.

-KRS-

While I can't believe I forgot castlevania, stuff like the disney games are pretty much the exact definition of "Not quite good enough to be in my collection". Like I said, trying to keep it small, so its amazing/nostalgia or no-go.

huh, I think at least Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse is legitimately awesome. Not too crazy about aladdin though.

Edit: I remember the first stage of Magical Quest being a little boring though. It gets way better after the first world though.

Well. Pffft. I think they're among the best games in the library, anyway :p

Also: Turtles IV. It's a requirement.

Yeah, most (if not all) of the Capcom Disney games are crisp.

My friends were doing some hardcore Goof Troop co-op last week.

It's also awesome that Capcom basically made a sequel to one of their earliest arcade games under the guise of a licensed game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
^ Yeah, I'm gonna say your opinion there is factually wrong ;)

Those Disney games are Capcom classics. Don't let the license cloud your judgement.

Krelian

While it's still a good game I don't think The Great Circus Mystery is an absolute requirement. I recently played through the whole game with a friend. It's fun and looks good but it's way too easy and kinda short. Not the worst idea to get it, I recommend its prequel and the other Capcom games first, though.

While it's still a good game I don't think The Great Circus Mystery is an absolute requirement. I recently played through the whole game with a friend. It's fun and looks good but it's way too easy and kinda short. Not the worst idea to get it, I recommend its prequel and the other Capcom games first, though.

Yeah, Great Circus Mystery really did seem like a 'younger sibling' game to me. The first one was much better.

I'm thinking of making a run at an upcoming Hagane.

In that regard, what would a fellow GAF collector offer (or appraise) for my spare EarthBound, which will include the guide. The cart label has a little wear (enlarge photo). The guide is in great condition but it's in a box that's under six boxes on the top shelf of the closet, so I wasn't brave enough to go after it just yet. I'm not sure I'm selling it just yet, I'm just curious how close I could get to Hagane with this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I know this isn's SNES but it is Nintendo related. I am finally unpacking all my old game stuff from when I was a kid and ran across this Famicom cart for Super Mario 3. Is it a counterfeit cart? I cannot find one like it anywhere.

-KRS-

It's a very good pirate cart though. I'm surprised they bothered to put a Nintendo logo on there. As far as I know the original cart doesn't have that right? And the label is identical to the original cart. So at least it's not one of those Russian market pirates where they remove all copyright and just slap on a label with some random shit on, like the ducktales one I posted earlier. :p

lupin23rd

Been in Tokyo for 6 months and started a healthy SFC collection (that I will post up when I get back home in a week or so), but just in Osaka now and it is kinda depressing the quality of the SFC collections they have here.

That being said, I picked up 3 titles (mostly for kicks) I have not yet seen in Akihabara - Area 88 (UN Squadron), Joe and Mac, and WWF Royal Rumble. Unfortunately Area 88 and Royal Rumble look like they were actually in a rumble, but I wanted boxed copies and these are the only ones I have seen. I am usually pretty picky about quality, at least for the box.

Unfortunately, the only game I have left that is high on my list is Super Return of the Jedi, and while cart-only is easy, I finally found one a little more complete.... cart plus instructions -_-

Throw it up on ebay and start bidding at $275-300. You should get enough to buy Hagane.
Good. :)

Considering I probably paid $20 for this EarthBound back in the day and my wife just found the book in her parents garage, I think that's an okay trade.

I also just got Arcana from eBay for $10. I forgot I made an offer on one. So NOW I'm on buying freeze until next weekend.

Danielsan

My SNES haul for this weekend just came in.

YitL008.jpg

A second copy of Super Ghouls and Ghosts for € 10. Mostly bought it because of the box and the fact that this cartridge has the purple label, whilst my other cartridge has the boring black label. Love this game to death. I do wish the box was in a slightly better condition and had the manual included, but ooh well.

A US copy of Super Turrican for € 12,70.

U.N. Squadron + manual for € 12,50. Just played a half an hour of this game and it's fucking amazing!

I couldn't deal with the stress of collecting boxes and manuals.

I do have a box of them in a closet somewhere, would anybody be willing to trade carts for that stuff or should I just send them to eBay (eventually)?

I couldn't deal with the stress of collecting boxes and manuals.

I do have a box of them in a closet somewhere, would anybody be willing to trade carts for that stuff or should I just send them to eBay (eventually)?

What boxes/manuals do you have? I'm sure many posters here would be interested in trades.

What boxes/manuals do you have? I'm sure many posters here would be interested in trades.
I'll try to dig everything out soon, but I do know I have maps/manuals for a lot of the "hot button" games (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.). I have boxes and manuals for some high dollar NES games too like Cowboy Kid, Bubble Bobble 2, Ufouria. Yeah, I really should start getting rid of this stuff to help pay out for the rest of the carts I want. Luckily my SNES want list is not too big.

Actually, my box and manual for Ufouria has a cart too since it's a duplicate, niiiiice.

Nice, gold ribbon version. My Link to the Past with that. Is there a list of how many games got rereleased like that?

Top Bottom