• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Ahem. So I'm just going to leave my final find of the day here.

jpsQZCG.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

It's a very good pirate cart though. I'm surprised they bothered to put a Nintendo logo on there. As far as I know the original cart doesn't have that right? And the label is identical to the original cart. So at least it's not one of those Russian market pirates where they remove all copyright and just slap on a label with some random shit on, like the ducktales one I posted earlier. :p
It's funny you say that, because it totally is a bad pirate. Looks nothing like the original.

Here's the real Famicom cart:

smb3famicom_big.jpg

-KRS-

Yes, yes. I meant more compared to most other pirate cartridges. It doesn't have a ton of the stuff that immediately gives it away as a pirate, like chinese characters as the logo, misspellings or completely unrelated/home made label art. :)

I was mistaken on the label looking identical though. But at least it's the same artwork.

Edit: Most other FC pirate cartridges I should say. I don't think I've ever seen a "good" pirate cartridge for the famicom. They didn't seem to care much back then. It's not like it is with the GBA pirate games which can be very hard to tell the difference from the original.

Teknoman

I'll try to dig everything out soon, but I do know I have maps/manuals for a lot of the "hot button" games (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.). I have boxes and manuals for some high dollar NES games too like Cowboy Kid, Bubble Bobble 2, Ufouria. Yeah, I really should start getting rid of this stuff to help pay out for the rest of the carts I want. Luckily my SNES want list is not too big.

Actually, my box and manual for Ufouria has a cart too since it's a duplicate, niiiiice.

Nice, gold ribbon version. My Link to the Past with that. Is there a list of how many games got rereleased like that?

About how much would they go for? I'd be interested in the Bubble Bobble 2 manual and box.

-KRS-

...I think I'm giving up on this swedish auction site now you guys. It's just getting more and more ridiculous every month. Now that PAL Demon's Crest cart I mentioned a while back ended at 787 SEK ($121) with like three people willing to pay 700+. What the hell. It used to be so good with prices on retro games there compared to ebay. :(

Danielsan

...I think I'm giving up on this swedish auction site now you guys. It's just getting more and more ridiculous every month. Now that PAL Demon's Crest cart I mentioned a while back ended at 787 SEK ($121) with like three people willing to pay 700+. What the hell. It used to be so good with prices on retro games there compared to ebay. :(
Everyone is using Ebay to check prices. Also, re-sellers especially like to check non-ebay auction sites to pick up valuable games for cheaper than their ebay value which tends to drive up prices. It's the same deal over here in the Netherlands.

I had these show up the other day. I know they're not particularly rare or impressive, but they're my first SFC games so I'm pretty excited.

IMG-20130319-00530_zpsd1887727.jpg

Guelph-20130319-00532_zps13e8fc10.jpg

lol at people forgetting the GB collector's thread.

Second, that is pretty slick!
Ah, my bad, I just got comfortable here.

But that seriously made my day. Once I sell it, I will just consider the $20 I spent on it what I spent on the CIB MUSHA I just got in the mail.

$20 MUSHA, ah, that's nice.

There's still the issue of Zombie Nation and Hagane I have to deal with though.

About how much would they go for? I'd be interested in the Bubble Bobble 2 manual and box.
The BB2 box and manual are basically "just out of the seal" quality. I'm slightly paranoid on even selling them since the prices don't seem to be stalling. The last box and game (no manual) on eBay sold for $555 and the cart's label was destroyed.

Like, I know I can drop my spare Earthbound to cover most of a Hagane. But what if I keep it for another year, with the guide, what would it be worth then? It's crazy. I'm not good at this stuff, haha. I'm good at buying, not selling!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
man fate likes to laugh in your face sometimes im saving to go to vegas on the 28th of this month and the site i buy most my games from is posting a ton of shit i want thats usually not there when i have the money for it gah

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
estarland posted a ton of nes games i want last time this happened to me i had to pay all my bills during one pay period so i couldnt buy any games that week and i lost out on a complete blackthorne for 32x and a complete super double dragon for pretty cheap

Teknoman

Ah, my bad, I just got comfortable here.

But that seriously made my day. Once I sell it, I will just consider the $20 I spent on it what I spent on the CIB MUSHA I just got in the mail.

$20 MUSHA, ah, that's nice.

There's still the issue of Zombie Nation and Hagane I have to deal with though.

The BB2 box and manual are basically "just out of the seal" quality. I'm slightly paranoid on even selling them since the prices don't seem to be stalling. The last box and game (no manual) on eBay sold for $555 and the cart's label was destroyed.

Like, I know I can drop my spare Earthbound to cover most of a Hagane. But what if I keep it for another year, with the guide, what would it be worth then? It's crazy. I'm not good at this stuff, haha. I'm good at buying, not selling!

In that case, personally i'd say hang onto whatever you dont have doubles of, or at least whatever you think you might regret selling in the long run. Even though I sold my Shining Force CD via GAF, I still regret letting it go.

EDIT: Estarland seems to be iffy at times. Sometimes its got some really decent prices, but others it seems a little too high.

I bought Stunt Race FX today. I really like early flat-shaded polygon aesthetic, so I think this game is beautiful. Framerate is lol though.

$60 for any particular cart wouldn't even phase me. I only buy games I really want to play, and I get a lot of value out of my collection. I paid $60 at a Mexican restaurant last night. Any Mega Man game would beat that in value.
Quoted for good common sense (IMO).

Picked up this beauty in a visit to a (very) small video game convention in Montreal this weekend (only $15!):
I'm keeping the cart, but unloading the box. Also managed to put my hands on Paper Mario and Mario Party 2 on N64 ($3 each at the Salvation Army).

^ Yeah, I'm gonna say your opinion there is factually wrong ;)

Those Disney games are Capcom classics. Don't let the license cloud your judgement.
What do you guys think of Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion on the Genesis? I have Magical Quest and enjoy it (don't care about Aladdin - at least the SNES version is much better than its Genny counterpart) and would like other Mickey Mouse games to play with my 7 year old son, who's big on platformers.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
What do you guys think of Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion on the Genesis? I have Magical Quest and enjoy it (don't care about Aladdin - at least the SNES version is much better than its Genny counterpart) and would like other Mickey Mouse games to play with my 7 year old son, who's big on platformers.

Castle and World are great games, if a little easy. World is great in co-op, though, you should go for it!

They're good, but they are very much more traditional platformers whereas the Capcom SNES Mickey games tend to do a few extra creative things, espeically with the costuming system. Absolutely worth getting though (and cheap!) and I believe World is co-op.

Picked up this beauty in a visit to a (very) small video game convention in Montreal this weekend (only $15!):
Sexy.

the price of zombie nation has jumped as well its like in the $300-400 range now was at $150 not to long ago
Ugugh, that's the last "high dollar" NES game I want. I think.

I skipped it SO MANY times for cheap two years ago when I got burned out buying stuff, dumb dumb dumb.

Castle and World are great games, if a little easy. World is great in co-op, though, you should go for it!
They're Japanese games (i.e. designed in Japan), right? For example, I don't want Mickey Mania and its ilk because, as a rule, I steer clear from 16/8 bit games designed in the West (save a couple Rare games here and there). Shallow as it may be, I don't enjoy the aesthetics/controls/gameplay/music of Western games of the era. (So that leaves more Earthworm Jims and Blackthornes and B.O.B.s for you guys to scavenge for. ;-)

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
They're Japanese games (i.e. designed in Japan), right? For example, I don't want Mickey Mania and its ilk because, as a rule, I steer clear from 16/8 bit games designed in the West (save a couple Rare games here and there). Shallow as it may be, I don't enjoy the aesthetics/controls/gameplay/music of Western games of the era. (So that leaves more Earthworm Jims and Blackthornes and B.O.B.s for you guys to scavenge for. ;-)

Fairly certain that they're both Japanese :)

Teknoman

What about...this:

Beach

Akrillic

The music not the gameplay :p

Teknoman, that second Plok song sounds like 70s prog rock, pretty nice! I remember the game had different music from the norm, more "organic" sounds, but not like that, lol!

I can appreciate its quality, but it's not my cup of tea as far as gaming tracks go (paradoxically, I'm a big prog fan (Genesis, early Kansas, Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP...)).

I'm more of a Mega Man/Ninja Gaiden/Ys/Castlevania type music kind of guy.

Teknoman

Teknoman, that second Plok song sounds like 70s prog rock, pretty nice! I remember the game had different music from the norm, more "organic" sounds, but not like that, lol!

I can appreciate its quality, but it's not my cup of tea as far as gaming tracks go (paradoxically, I'm a big prog fan (Genesis, early Kansas, Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP...)).

I'm more of a Mega Man/Ninja Gaiden/Ys/Castlevania type music kind of guy.

Totally agree, just wanted to see what you thought about some outliers from the norm. Though I will say i've got a soft spot for Earthworm Jim music.

Been laying in bed sick all day. Finally went back and finished Skyblazer. I feel like that final boss is just luck when it comes to dodging his green laser. Really awesome game, though.

Think I'm gonna try a little Yoshi's Island. I only ever played a little of it at Best Buy when I was a kid, and I recall my only thoughts being "this isn't Mario World!" We'll see.

Picked up Sim City today for $5 since I was craving it really bad. About to beat Donkey Kong Country 2!

Nice. Best Sim City. I'm not sure I've ever finished DK2. I know I played a ton of it, but not sure I ever completed it when I was a kid.

Teknoman

Been laying in bed sick all day. Finally went back and finished Skyblazer. I feel like that final boss is just luck when it comes to dodging his green laser. Really awesome game, though.

Think I'm gonna try a little Yoshi's Island. I only ever played a little of it at Best Buy when I was a kid, and I recall my only thoughts being "this isn't Mario World!" We'll see.

Nice. Best Sim City. I'm not sure I've ever finished DK2. I know I played a ton of it, but not sure I ever completed it when I was a kid.

Oh man, you've never really played Yoshi's Island? You're in for a treat.

Indeed, the game is amazing, gameplay is intuitive as hell, even if it's more of an exploration type game (for a 2D Mario at least). Though don't think of it as a true blue successor to Mario World (even if it says so on the box ;-).

Indeed, the game is amazing, gameplay is intuitive as hell, even if it's more of an exploration type game (for a 2D Mario at least). Though don't think of it as a true blue successor to Mario World (even if it says so on the box ;-).

Yeah. That's exactly what put me off as a kid. I thought it was awesome looking graphically, but when I realized it wasn't really like Mario World, I checked out. Been watching for a cheap copy, finally got one for $10 this week.

I can understand. It's not as fast nor magical/perfect as Super Mario World, that's for sure. Still, it's in the upper echelon of platforming excellence, just below SMB 3 and SMW. Have fun!

I remember watching my brother play back in the 90's and remember great things about it. And for DK2, its so much more improved over the first one. First time I am really playing it, I had it back in the day but only played till the Lava section. The camera following your character is much more improved! No more blind leaps of faith for the most part. AND THE MUSIC. I knew of alot of the songs but some I never heard and holy shit they are incredible.

Blah. You guys got me excited to finally play Yoshi's Island. It's not working. If I watch the opening, it eventually hits some graphical glitches and then freezes at a black screen with the music looping. I can skip the intro and get to the menu, but there are lines everywhere. If I try to start a new game, it immediately just goes to a black screen with the music looping. Cleaned it four times now, making no difference.

Sucks. Going to have to contact the guy on ebay

EDIT: Cancel that. My problem is far weirder. It's the SNES, not the game. I bought a SNES with a bunch of games for cheap off ebay, was going to keep the games I wanted and sell the system with the games I didn't, plus some others I had found locally just to flip. I was using that system since I'm in bed sick all day and didn't want to go down stairs where my main SNES is.

After YI failed to play, I decided to play some Mega Man X2. It's opening movie wouldn't play either. It would freeze at a black screen, able to hear the music only. Went down stairs and grabbed my actual SNES, both games work 100% fine on it. This is going to be even more fun.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Guess I'll try cleaning the contacts on the system and see if that helps before I contact the seller for a return.

Teknoman

Blah. You guys got me excited to finally play Yoshi's Island. It's not working. If I watch the opening, it eventually hits some graphical glitches and then freezes at a black screen with the music looping. I can skip the intro and get to the menu, but there are lines everywhere. If I try to start a new game, it immediately just goes to a black screen with the music looping. Cleaned it four times now, making no difference.

EDIT: Cancel that. My problem is far weirder. It's the SNES, not the game. I bought a SNES with a bunch of games for cheap off ebay, was going to keep the games I wanted and sell the system with the games I didn't, plus some others I had found locally just to flip. I was using that system since I'm in bed sick all day and didn't want to go down stairs where my main SNES is.

After YI failed to play, I decided to play some Mega Man X2. It's opening movie wouldn't play either. It would freeze at a black screen, able to hear the music only. Went down stairs and grabbed my actual SNES, both games work 100% fine on it. This is going to be even more fun.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Guess I'll try cleaning the contacts on the system and see if that helps before I contact the seller for a return.

Not me...hopefully a good cleaning will set things straight. I've got a SSF2 that acts strange ...but thats on the Genesis side of things, and the cartridge's fault.

Cleaning it didn't help. That sucks. Gonna record a youtube video of it tomorrow to send the guy on ebay cause it's pretty hard to explain. What's weird it that Skyblazer plays fine. It's like games with special chips like MMX2 and Yoshi's Island have issues with this system for some reason.

inner-G

Banned
My brother got me a Supaboy as a groomsman's gift, it's pretty cool to mess with, but not a replacement by any means.

I saw the same company just announced the retron 5 though and that thing looks sweet if it'll really be under a hundo. I'd keep my CRT and original stuff for sure but it would be nice to easily play upscaled on a LCD and be able to play Famicom carts. Idk about the lag though the lag on the LCD TV itself bothers me on old games, but RPGs and whatnot are Ok.

Quoted for good common sense (IMO).

I'm keeping the cart, but unloading the box. Also managed to put my hands on Paper Mario and Mario Party 2 on N64 ($3 each at the Salvation Army).

Nice find on Sonic Blast Man 2, I'm also looking for one.

jayTOH

I have the same problem with my SNES. It started with my Tetris Attack cart saying it was a pirated copy, then eventually more of my carts either didn't work, only got up to the start menu, etc. I also opened it up and cleaned it a bit, but that didn't change anything, either. I wish I knew what the problem was =\

Top Bottom