• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Danielsan

Finished both Illusion of Gaia/Time and the originial Donkey Kong Country yesterday.

I never quite finished Donkey Kong Country as a kid and it's been such a long time since I played it. It actually kind of left me amazed at just how great and creative it gets. Love the feel of the platforming, love the graphics (people who say it doesn't hold up, get the fuck out). It's also one of the few, if only, games where I actually look forward to the water levels.

Illusion of Gaia/Time is a great little action RPG. Its story is completely throw away, and I got the feeling that the translation may have been lacking, but the setting holds your attention and the game looks and plays great. Given the fact that this is one of the spiritual predecessors of Terranigma, and it's easily available in Europe, I wanted to finish this before I got in to my copy Terranigma.

i want this samegame cartridge so bad..and a satellview just for the curiosity
!B0uLLWw!mk~$(KGrHqN,!ikE)q-i4ni,BMbfjSzM0!~~_35.JPG

those adapters always remind me of the pc engine and its massive addon library
just look how damn sexy the LT looks
pce_off_0013.jpg

DSC00857.jpg

Blah. You guys got me excited to finally play Yoshi's Island. It's not working. If I watch the opening, it eventually hits some graphical glitches and then freezes at a black screen with the music looping. I can skip the intro and get to the menu, but there are lines everywhere. If I try to start a new game, it immediately just goes to a black screen with the music looping. Cleaned it four times now, making no difference.

Sucks. Going to have to contact the guy on ebay

EDIT: Cancel that. My problem is far weirder. It's the SNES, not the game. I bought a SNES with a bunch of games for cheap off ebay, was going to keep the games I wanted and sell the system with the games I didn't, plus some others I had found locally just to flip. I was using that system since I'm in bed sick all day and didn't want to go down stairs where my main SNES is.

After YI failed to play, I decided to play some Mega Man X2. It's opening movie wouldn't play either. It would freeze at a black screen, able to hear the music only. Went down stairs and grabbed my actual SNES, both games work 100% fine on it. This is going to be even more fun.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Guess I'll try cleaning the contacts on the system and see if that helps before I contact the seller for a return.

I have heard about mode7 and/or enhancement chip games not displaying correctly on faulty SNESes. Does it look something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ9Y8klzveA

Seems like it's time to get a replacement console.

Zing

Banned
Yes, even when you think the contacts and system connector are clean, they probably aren't if you are havin that sort of trouble. The games you mention have the additional pins on each side of the main connector. It is difficult to clean them on the cart or the system. Clean more, or just get a new system.

I have heard about mode7 and/or enhancement chip games not displaying correctly on faulty SNESes. Does it look something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ9Y8klzveA

Seems like it's time to get a replacement console.

Yes, even when you think the contacts and system connector are clean, they probably aren't if you are havin that sort of trouble. The games you mention have the additional pins on each side of the main connector. It is difficult to clean them on the cart or the system. Clean more, or just get a new system.

Mode 7 works fine. Just seems like games with special chips inside. Game Genie doesn't work either. I can't move the cursor left or right and can't see the numbers being entered except for the first one in each line.

Like Zing said, it's pretty hard to clean the left and right contacts on the system. I tried a bit though, didn't work. Just sent the guy a message on ebay. Still sitting in bed sick today so I'll have to get it all packed up and shipped back to him tomorrow.

Here's a youtube video I made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkpmJ9acDKY&feature=youtu.be

Kind of long. You can skip ahead a good minute when you get to Yoshi's Island 'cause the first half of the intro plays fine before it glitches out and goes to shit. The end of the video you see me switch to my junior to show all the games runs fine on it.

zulux21

so, I'm trying to price out my snes collection for personal value knowledge (I want to figure out how much my game collection is worth, plus it's a good thing to know for insurance purposes), and for most of my games it was easy to do, one game is giving me majors troubles to price, megaman x3.

Given you guys are collectors I figure you would know what a Cart only with a label that shows some light wear would go for. The completed listings are ebay are a crazy range from 85 to 200 for the stuff in that condition... so it's really hard for me to get a fair value so any input you guys have on the game's value would be great.

Great. The guy who sold me the messed up SNES is refusing a refund:

i'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having with this system. But when i listed the system with the games that were with it, they were just fine. If you have a newer game with an enhanced chip or something, then the system might not support it. The system you are playing it on, is probably a more later model that can support it. Whatever game i put in the system, worked just fine. No glitches or anything at all. Played perfectly. I posted up pics showing the game is on. i sold the system like i described it. If your trying to play a game with an enhanced chip or something, its not my fault the system dont read it. It worked when i sent it with the games i sold with it. Nothing wrong with it. i'm sorry you are having problems with it. But i sold it as is....i listed it with no refunds....im sorry....

I was hoping since he has 100% feedback that he wouldn't be a problem. Now I have to file a claim with ebay and everything.

Parallacs

Anyone care to take a guess at the final sales price of this auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Great-...2561?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item3a7fb7e9e1

From the feedback:
Asked for an unsecured payment through Western Union after having paypal listed.

From the auction:
The shipping cost is NOT 4USD; its 25 USD. (WORLDWIDE)

Item location:
Tegucigalpa, Francisco Morazan, Honduras

Haha I wouldn't bid a single dollar for that auction. In answer to your question, less experienced eBayers will probably bid $500 for it tops. I wouldn't be suprised it it got no bids. People hate dealing with South American (or in this case non-US/Canada North American) auctions.

Credo

I wouldn't touch it either, but that's just because of my insane pickiness and the quality of Wild Guns in the picture.

I bet it goes for over $500 though.

Parallacs

I wouldn't touch it either, but that's just because of my insane pickiness and the quality of Wild Guns in the picture.

I bet it goes for over $500 though.

Yeah, the EVO looks pretty nice though. I have been debating whether or not I want it. I watched a Lets Play of it for a while and the game looked pretty boring. I was debating it back when it was priced $60 so I'm definitely not hunting hard for it.

My priorities now are:
Harvest Moon
Ogre Battle
Mega Man 7

Credo

Yeah, the EVO looks pretty nice though. I have been debating whether or not I want it. I watched a Lets Play of it for a while and the game looked pretty boring. I was debating it back when it was priced $60 so I'm definitely not hunting hard for it.

My priorities now are:
Harvest Moon
Ogre Battle
Mega Man 7

I've talked myself out of EVO. I'd like Harvest Moon too, and Ogre Battle would be quite nice.

Parallacs

So you two are the clowns that keep bidding up Harvest Moon to $130 each week?

Thanks... :)

I've been trying to get into New Beginning on the 3DS but it is dragging. I miss the simplicity of being given a junk farm and working every day to improve it.

Credo

Hahaha, no, I haven't actually bid on Harvest Moon yet. I haven't decided if I want it THAT badly. I know the price won't ever decrease, so I guess I'm just waiting for some miraculous deal to appear.

I've yet to bid on Harvest Moon once...I might in the coming months, hoping I can grab a game and a manual at the same time and I'll be good!

Kainazzo

that auction says King of Demons is included in that lot. I thought King of Demons never came out in NTSC? So I am assuming it is a repro which means some of the other in the lot could be as well

The red King of Demons (top row center) is definitely a repro, and the green one below it with Cell on the label looks like one too. Never heard of an official NA SNES release without a label name.

I know the price won't ever decrease
Indeed. Where I grew up, the game was impossibly rare from the get go. In 1997, some used game store in Quebec city already had it up at $100. So, $130 (in 2013 dollars) is a relative deal compared to that value. ;)

Regarding EVO, I must say I love the setting/concept and even the somewhat "clunky" gameplay. I understand some might be bored by it, but I find it addictive in its own way. I'd rather play that overpriced ambitious game than an overpriced ninja action game like Hagane for instance. But to each their own.

Credo

that auction says King of Demons is included in that lot. I thought King of Demons never came out in NTSC? So I am assuming it is a repro which means some of the others in the lot could be as well

Nice catch. It's JP only. I wonder if he got fooled by someone and is reselling it or if he's the one trying to do the fooling.

Nice catch. It's JP only. I wonder if he got fooled by someone and is reselling it or if he's the one trying to do the fooling.

I think he knows, he's just not good at communicating it:

1) EVO: search for eden
2) Wild Guns
3) Captain Commando
4) Demon's Crest
5) King of Demons (This is the english version of japanesse game MAJYUUOU)
6) X-men Mutant Apocalypse
7)Zelda a link to the past
8) Biker Mice From Mars
9) Dragon ball Z2 and Z3.

Drain You

Haven't had the time to read through this thread yet but I saw it and figured Id post here before posting in the free to a good home thread. I recently bought boxed copies of DK1 and DK2 and am looking to acquire DK3 boxed. So in the mean time id like to find a good home for my loose carts of DK2 and DK3, first one to quote me gets em. Lower 48 only please.

Haven't had the time to read through this thread yet but I saw it and figured Id post here before posting in the free to a good home thread. I recently bought boxed copies of DK1 and DK2 and am looking to acquire DK3 boxed. So in the mean time id like to find a good home for my loose carts of DK2 and DK3, first one to quote me gets em. Lower 48 only please.

What?

EDIT: Did I just win something?

Guy on ebay contacted customer support apparently and told them to decide. I'm going to be pissed if by some crazy chance they side with him. I sent the youtube video to them when I opened the case, but it's kind of a hard thing to explain that some games will work, some won't.

The guy was trying to claim I was trying to use newer games with special chips that just won't work on older SNES models.

Always something with ebay...

Thanks for the DK3, Drain You. That completes my trilogy and gives me a new game to play (never played it before).

I'd like DKC2, if possible.

Teknoman

Guy on ebay contacted customer support apparently and told them to decide. I'm going to be pissed if by some crazy chance they side with him. I sent the youtube video to them when I opened the case, but it's kind of a hard thing to explain that some games will work, some won't.

The guy was trying to claim I was trying to use newer games with special chips that just won't work on older SNES models.

Always something with ebay...

i5ulUxUIdn4TI.gif

Guy tried to do that to me not too long about with a TG16/CD combo. Sad that he would try to make some technical stuff up just to save face. They'll force a return with the ebay buyer protection if you file it.

Guy tried to do that to me not too long about with a TG16/CD combo. Sad that he would try to make some technical stuff up just to save face. They'll force a return with the ebay buyer protection if you file it.

LOL. Said they'll make their decision within 72 hours. With the youtube video showing it not functioning, I'm sure it will all be okay. Just lose out on the $10 it'll cost to ship it back to him.

I'm sure he really didn't know. It came with six games, which all will work fine since they're just normal games with no special chips. If he would have just taken the return I would have still given him positive feedback for handling the situation well. Now he gets his first negative, first time I've given negative. So that's exciting.

What the fuck!? Ebay sided with the seller! I'm now stuck with a faulty SNES. Wow.

They're saying I simply received the item and changed my mind!? What the shit.

That's eBay.

I have no words. I sent them the youtube video showing that it doesn't work. And they respond by just saying "oh, you just changed your mind, case closed"

I cannot believe this. Wow. I'm trying to find a number to call and bitch instead of just appealing the decision.

Fox Mulder

I have no words. I sent them the youtube video showing that it doesn't work. And they respond by just saying "oh, you just changed your mind, case closed"

I cannot believe this. Wow. I'm trying to find a number to call and bitch instead of just appealing the decision.

I was sent a bag a paperclips that clearly had a listed weight that was obviously far below what I ordered, but still lost because the seller had a tracking number. It's a crap shoot every auction.

Thats crazy...even after filing with the buyer protection thing?

Yep. I'm on hold with a rep who is supposedly reviewing the case now. I don't know how I can tell them it's broken, send a video showing it's broken, and be told I just changed my mind about the sale and therefore it's not protected.

Ebay...

EDIT: Alright, he's transferring me to another department, I think he said appeals. He said he saw the youtube video and everything. Maybe by some crazy chance they'll realize this is ridiculous and I wont' be stuck with a broken system.

EDIT 2: On hold again while this second person looks over everything. I think I should have done a second video where I actually talked about what was happening. I imagine someone who doesn't have a clue about this shit doesn't understand what is going on in the video. Like I should have said "here is where there should be a game, and there isn't. That is a problem."

What the fuck!? Ebay sided with the seller! I'm now stuck with a faulty SNES. Wow.

They're saying I simply received the item and changed my mind!? What the shit.
Wow. I am genuinely surprised: for a few years now, it seemed eBay all but sided with buyers, even when they were obviously wrong/lying.

P.S. To compensate, at least you've got a cool, free, DKC3 cart coming your way. ;)

They're saying I should have asked if it would work with games with "special chips" in them. So the seller listed it correctly and I'm fucked. I was dumb to assume that it would work with every SNES game just because it was a SNES and listed as working. I should have asked if it worked with "special chips".

Amazing.

Did the money come from your debit/credit card through Paypal? If so can't you ask your bank to do a chargeback?

I think it was a direct transfer from my bank, so I assume I can't?

It's a case where the people at ebay making the decision don't have a clue what they're talking about, just like I said. I explained to her that every SNES is supposed to play every SNES game. She didn't get it. "Well, you should have asked about these games!" Even though the listing says: "ALL 5 GAMES AND SYSTEM GUARANTEED TO WORK" Like if you buy a car on ebay that the seller says work perfectly, but you didn't ask about the brakes, they don't guarantee the brakes.

They're saying I should have asked if it would work with games with "special chips" in them. So the seller listed it correctly and I'm fucked. I was dumb to assume that it would work with every SNES game just because it was a SNES and listed as working. I should have asked if it worked with "special chips".

Amazing.

So was this a US system? Does it not work at all?

So was this a US system? Does it not work at all?

Yes, US system. It seems to have something wrong with it where it won't play games with special chips in them like Yoshi's Island and Mega Man X2&3. I'm sure the seller really had no clue about the issue. But, the idea that I'm now stuck with a broken system because the seller didn't know is crazy, when he stated the system was guaranteed to work. I should have obviously asked him to guarantee he meant it would work with all SNES games. Woman on the phone said that since it worked with the games that were included, that's good enough for them.

I actually asked if I could re-list it with the sellers description, and was told no, because I now know. So, she essentially told me the sellers listing was correct and therefore they sided with the seller, but I couldn't use that same information. Because it's incorrect.

I am so pissed.

As far as I know you can only do a chargeback if the payment was made via a debit or credit card.

I didn't know you could pay through Paypal directly from your bank, I thought it had to go via a card.

Yeah, you can. Just checked, and yeah I paid directly through my checking account.

It gets even weirder. Normal FX chips seem to work just fine.

So, out of the things I've tried...

Not Working:

Game Genie
Mega Man X2
Yoshi's Island

Working:

Super Gameboy
Stunt Racer FX
Star Fox

So it seems to not like Capcoms chips and FX2s for some reason. What other weird chips are there out there?

Platy

A friend is thinking that she is crazy because she remembers having a black Snes black controllers as a kid.

How insane is that memory ?

Maybe a rare special edition .. maybe a snes clone ....

Top Bottom