• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
A friend is thinking that she is crazy because she remembers having a black Snes black controllers as a kid.

How insane is that memory ?

Maybe a rare special edition .. maybe a snes clone ....

I don't think that there's a thing as a Black Snes controller.

However, while googling it, you made me remember I have one of those:

40405.jpg

So thanks for that, I guess.. :D

Zing

Banned
A friend is thinking that she is crazy because she remembers having a black Snes black controllers as a kid.

How insane is that memory ?

Maybe a rare special edition .. maybe a snes clone ....

Probably a Sega Master System or Genesis.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that there's a thing as a Black Snes controller.

However, while googling it, you made me remember I have one of those:

40405.jpg

So thanks for that, I guess.. :D
I really regret not ordering one of these when they first came out. I want one badly the but the prices D:

Those prices are insane. You can buy 100 cases for about $80 shipped, and it costs .69 per print at my local Staples. So they cost like $1.94 to make.

Actually there are places where you can buy them individually for like under 2 bucks (With no artwork obviously) but yea, I got to agree with you there. Price gouging like hell.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I see your point but they don't look too cheap to me and getting to print alternate covers like the Super Fam ones is a nice bonus.

Oh, sure, they're an AMAZING IDEA. Protects your games much better than those flimsy cardboard boxes, gives you an excuse to buy the cheaper, cart only games (you can print and/or buy the manuals by themselves), they look good stacked and will last much longer than the mentioned cardboard boxes.

I just never through they looked right, and I never knew why. I think it's the clear plastic.

The price of convenience, man. It's all good. What are most people going to do with 100 cases? It's just a lot of hassle for little return.

Can't put a price on convenience, that's for sure.

As for what I would do with 100 cases, I'd put about 1/3 of my games in cases. So, if you had a few hundred games, the price difference is literally $2,418.

Actually there are places where you can buy them individually for like under 2 bucks (With no artwork obviously) but yea, I got to agree with you there. Price gouging like hell.

Yeah. This sites sells them for $1.60 each: http://www.racketboy.com/store/featured/universale-game-case.html

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Can't put a price on convenience, that's for sure.

As for what I would do with 100 cases, I'd put about 1/3 of my games in cases. So, if you had a few hundred games, the price difference is literally $2,418.

Also, they don't ship the crate of 100 game cases overseas. I'd like to believe that the other, more expensive site does. :D

SUPARSTARX

How much are people paying for the original systems? Are there remade snes consoles? Seems like a lot of people are picking up snes consoles to play with

How much are people paying for the original systems? Are there remade snes consoles? Seems like a lot of people are picking up snes consoles to play with

Like $15-$30 depending on reseller markup for an original system. I'd steer clear from 3rd party clone systems because they tend to have compatibility issues. Apparently Capcom games sound terrible on them too.

Zing

Banned
I agree the clear cases look cheap. I have a single black case, holding Pocky & Rocky, and it looks outstanding. It actually looks like the original box.

8142743277_0579cc8a52.jpg
8142742187_66763474df.jpg

It's the clear plastic.
Question to anyone who has purchased universal game cases: let's say I would put the cartridge in the case and NOT have any artwork printed out, would I be able to see the cart label through the plastic, just by looking at the spine?

Edit: I'm probably in the minority here, but those black cases do nothing for me. And they look kind of cheap as well, if you ask me...

It looks like they sell pretty regularly from like $60-80+ on eBay. The BINs are all well over $100 (and way too damn much). I'd pay like $30-40 but not twice that. Ugh.
Sorry to "hijack", but would you, or anyone, recommend the N64 Hori mini gamepads? (How's the button layout?)

(This talk about Hori pads unfortunately brought back my urge to get that (pricey) controller, lol.)

How would I go about getting those covers printed from Staples, out of curiosity?

Put everything you want on a USB stick or disc. If you want more than one of the same thing, put multiples of it on there to keep it simple. Tell them you want it all printed on legal size paper, no re-sizing. It'll take a bit because they have to convert it to PDF for some reason (I haven't messed with converting it myself because I know nothing about that shit and I'm afraid of messing up the dimensions).

That's it. I'd ask them to cut them for you also. My Staples did it for free, same with converting. Some people on the Cover Art forums have said they were charged a couple bucks for conversion and cutting.

If they tell you no, just try again when someone else is there or try a different place. They're technically copyrighted so some places won't do it. I've now gone twice and had it done no problem both times.

Question to anyone who has purchased universal game cases: let's say I would put the cartridge in the case and NOT have any artwork printed out, would I be able to see the cart label through the plastic, just by looking at the spine?

Not really. It'd be blurry and pretty hard to read.

IrishNinja

Those prices are insane. You can buy 100 cases for about $80 shipped here, and it costs .69 per print at my local Staples. So they cost like $1.94 to make.

ah, was totally gonna ask if you can get staples to cut them too, but you just answered that...ive just printed them all from work & had my girl cut them herself so far, which has worked but when the pile's too large you can tell she's giving up on the later ones, heh

Put everything you want on a USB stick or disc. If you want more than one of the same thing, put multiples of it on there to keep it simple. Tell them you want it all printed on legal size paper, no re-sizing. It'll take a bit because they have to convert it to PDF for some reason (I haven't messed with converting it myself because I know nothing about that shit and I'm afraid of messing up the dimensions).

That's it. I'd ask them to cut them for you also. My Staples did it for free, same with converting. Some people on the Cover Art forums have said they were charged a couple bucks for conversion and cutting.

If they tell you no, just try again when someone else is there or try a different place. They're technically copyrighted so some places won't do it. I've now gone twice and had it done no problem both times.

Ah, thanks.

The copyright thing was what I was curious most about, I had read that some places won't print them for you.

IrishNinja

^yeah, i had zero luck with kinko's in the day (tried xenogears art book and other stuff), regardless of employee. i hear staples is way more forgiving.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The price of convenience, man. It's all good. What are most people going to do with 100 cases? It's just a lot of hassle for little return.
Unfortunately I think it would drive me to purchase more games. :( I think I'm at about 50 SNES/SFC carts now, with another 40 or so on my want list.

Credo

Before I put it on eBay or somewhere else, is anyone here interested in a CIB Magic Sword for $20 shipped? I have pictures if you're interested.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That black shiny case also looks cheap. I don't know, there's something about the official Genny cases (the only example I can think of) that don't seem cheap.

That black one looks like a low quality, low budget, generic cartoon 5 dollar bin at wal-mart DVD case.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I still think they're wonderful.

So when you're down to the last few games you want for your collection, do you ever just say fuck it and buy them for close to what they are going for?

Cause I just bought a CIB Lufia II for $110, which is more I've ever paid for a single game. I figure at the very least I can get $40 or so back by selling the box/manual/inserts.

I'm really close to spending the $45 to get R-Type III and $80 to get Ogre Battle, which would just leave a few more games left. At this point it just seems like finding these specific games out in the wild would be a pain nowadays.

At this point it just seems like finding these specific games out in the wild would be a pain nowadays.
Yeah, I just buy stuff online that I need now. Finding anything of note in the wild (and then for a fair price) is nigh impossible now.

One thing I am thankful for is having SOME foresight and getting A LOT of good duplicate carts.

It makes having to pay high dollars for some of this stuff easy to shrug off when you flip something you got for $9 a few years ago for $100.

Yeah, I just buy stuff online that I need now. Finding anything of note in the wild (and then for a fair price) is nigh impossible now.

One thing I am thankful for is having SOME foresight and getting A LOT of good duplicate carts.

It makes having to pay high dollars for some of this stuff easy to shrug off when you flip something you got for $9 a few years ago for $100.

Yea, I've got some good trade bait as well. I'm actually on NintendoAge trying to trade for the last of my wants and have done a few trades already, but of course the games I'm looking for are harder to find as is and I'm competing with others wanting the same games haha.

May just end up selling some of here here to fund the rest.

Teknoman

Ooh Actraiser and Mystical Ninja...been wanting to play those...definitely adding to watch list so I can give it some thought.

Yea, I've got some good trade bait as well. I'm actually on NintendoAge trying to trade for the last of my wants and have done a few trades already, but of course the games I'm looking for are harder to find as is and I'm competing with others wanting the same games haha.

May just end up selling some of here here to fund the rest.

Maybe I should try there since no one seems to be interested in Shadowrun on the BST thread. Either that or its not as comparable in rarity as any of the games I wanted for it ( Mario RPG, FFIII, Lufia 1, Lufia 2, or Breath of Fire 2).

Ooh Actraiser and Mystical Ninja...been wanting to play those...definitely adding to watch list so I can give it some thought.

Maybe I should try there since no one seems to be interested in Shadowrun on the BST thread. Either that or its not as comparable in rarity as any of the games I wanted for it ( Mario RPG, FFIII, Lufia 1, Lufia 2, or Breath of Fire 2).

You should! So far I've gotten MMX2, Magic Sword, MMPR and a Sega Saturn S-Video cable for fair prices/trades.

Shadowrun is at least worth a Lufia I trade. For the others you may want to offer you could add some cash if you're willing to do that.

That's what I say in my posts anyway and it seems to help with the responses I get.

So when you're down to the last few games you want for your collection, do you ever just say fuck it and buy them for close to what they are going for?

Cause I just bought a CIB Lufia II for $110, which is more I've ever paid for a single game. I figure at the very least I can get $40 or so back by selling the box/manual/inserts.

I'm really close to spending the $45 to get R-Type III and $80 to get Ogre Battle, which would just leave a few more games left. At this point it just seems like finding these specific games out in the wild would be a pain nowadays.

Will probably end up doing this for Harvest Moon. Since the thrift stores like to put everything good online, it just seems I'll be stuck going this route.

Teknoman

I have both! They're just sitting in "the collection" for now.

I plan to tackle them both soon. Or maybe sort of soon, they might be good games to break my game room in once we get our house later this year.

Yup Illusion has some pretty haunting themes, plus i'm a sucker for ANY game with Nazca lines.

Top Bottom