• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Meh, I just played through Illusion of Gaia a few months ago after getting it. I definitely prefer Soul Blazer. Obviously, have never played Terranigma.

It seems like there is a pretty even split between all three as far as which one people prefer. Don't get me wrong, I really like all three. But, Gaia wins out for me.

how cheap we talkin? always meant to go back & finish that one one day, but im more leaning towards a repo cart of Terranigma at this point

Should be able to get one for $15 pretty easily on ebay. Out of the trilogy, Gaia is my favorite. It suffers from a bad translation that makes some of it hard to understand, but I love the cast of characters.

Meh, I just played through Illusion of Gaia a few months ago after getting it. I definitely prefer Soul Blazer. Obviously, have never played Terranigma.
I loved Illusion of Gaia when I played it. I have Soul Blazer sitting on my backlog as well as a really cool Terranigma repro I got from OCD today (along with Tales of Phantasia). Love 2D (action RPGs)!

Teknoman

Posted on NintendoAge...but hopefully they arent too skeptical about me since it's my first post there (lurked alot...NeoGAF and FFXIV official forums are all I need lol). For some reason it says I just joined today though...

How is Tales of Phantasia SNES version? The GBA game really turned me off.

Posted on NintendoAge...but hopefully they arent too skeptical about me since it's my first post there (lurked alot...NeoGAF and FFXIV official forums are all I need lol).
I could vouch for you, for whatever it will be worth. What is the thread?

The encounter rate on the SNES version is trash (and I say that as an RPG Grinder), otherwise it's pretty similar to the GBA version but worse since the GBA version at least took SOME things from the PS1 game.

khaaan

This thread is probably a better place to ask than the stupid gaming questions that don't deserve their own thread thread, are there fake SNES cartridges? Is there an easy way to identify them if I can personally inspect them? I found a flea market that has a couple games for fairly cheap but it looks shady as heck.

Teknoman

This thread is probably a better place to ask than the stupid gaming questions that don't deserve their own thread thread, are there fake SNES cartridges? Is there an easy way to identify them if I can personally inspect them? I found a flea market that has a couple games for fairly cheap but it looks shady as heck.

There are. We had a discussion about bootleg Earthbounds awhile back (label color differences). I dunno if its that widespread to pop up at a flea market though.

So I just thought about Nightmare Busters today.

I go to Super Fighter Team's site and they're sold out.

Oh well, my bad for just now looking at SNES stuff.

Then I go to their Facebook page: "Nightmare Busters is now sold out! (4 hours ago)."

My luck.

Posted on NintendoAge...but hopefully they arent too skeptical about me since it's my first post there (lurked alot...NeoGAF and FFXIV official forums are all I need lol). For some reason it says I just joined today though...

I posted too, though I'll have to edit in it's a joke post, as I imagine I'll get a shit ton of PM's lol

The only way to be 100% sure is to open it up (need a special bit you can get for cheap off ebay). If you see wires on the inside, it's a fake.

What are the games, and what makes it seem shady to you?

I bet he's right. It'll take a while though, just like that OP said.

I find this thought interesting:

Collecting retro games is not like comics, baseball cards, etc. Those hobbies cut across generations. Retro games, I feel, really only hold value to those who grew up in that particular time period.

Never thought about that before, and I bet that's pretty true.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So having just got SoulBlazer, and wanting to pick up Gaia, I feel like I should get Terranigma. How much of a PITA is it to run the PAL cart? I assume everything is fucked because of the refresh rate?

I find this thought interesting:
Collecting retro games is not like comics, baseball cards, etc. Those hobbies cut across generations. Retro games, I feel, really only hold value to those who grew up in that particular time period.

Yes, it really does make sense.

Although I'm pretty "old", aside from the odd Pac Man/Jungle Hunt/Pitfall game here and there, I only started playing video games with the NES (thus no knowledge of Atari and older carts collecting). Did the price of games for the older systems crash in the last few years or so (this is what I get from some of the posts in that discussion)? If that's the case, NES/SNES/Genesis etc. games are infinitely more playable than Atari games, so I doubt it would follow the same downward spiral.

Wereroku

I am a bit new to all this but is $37 for Final Fantasy 3 cart only a good deal? Also would $35 for Breath of Fire 2 cart be a good deal? Thanks. Just collecting slowly and wanted these to play but I don't know the going rate on them.

I am a bit new to all this but is $37 for Final Fantasy 3 cart only a good deal? Also would $35 for Breath of Fire 2 cart be a good deal? Thanks. Just collecting slowly and wanted these to play but I don't know the going rate on them.
I am thinking that that's a good price on Breath of Fire II and maybe (high-end) average on Final Fantasy III, depending on the condition.

Wereroku

Yeah I really wanted BOF 2 and I saw they were offering FF3 as well. They listed it as very good so I think its a good price. Not that it is a big deal to me since I am mostly just getting them to play. Breath of Fire 2 is in great condition but it has a big fat sticker on the label but i am pretty sure I can get it off without hurting anything.

Thanks for the link.

I disagree with the guy saying games like Contra III and Turtles in Time shouldn't be going for $30-40 because they were common titles. Sure they sold a lot, but those are staples in the SNES collection and still great games to this day, hence everyone wanting them.

If I ever downsize my SNES collection, those will be some of the last to ever go.

Yeah I really wanted BOF 2 and I saw they were offering FF3 as well. They listed it as very good so I think its a good price. Not that it is a big deal to me since I am mostly just getting them to play. Breath of Fire 2 is in great condition but it has a big fat sticker on the label but i am pretty sure I can get it off without hurting anything.
Here's a hint for that, use a hair dryer on low setting to warm the sticker goo a bit, then peel from the label side first (if you peel from the cart side, you risk pulling the cart's label up with it).

What is fascinating about the current retro gaming market, is how many of the arguments from both sides of the aisle make sense. Whether you think it's a bubble or not, there are many solid points being made on either side of the argument. Really fun and exciting debate when you're a collector like most of us in here.

Edit: This was in response to SkyMasterson 10:08 post.

Wereroku

Here's a hint for that, use a hair dryer on low setting to warm the sticker goo a bit, then peel from the label side first (if you peel from the cart side, you risk pulling the cart's label up with it).

Thanks will give that a go then. I am always a little baffled by what is done to carts sometimes though. I can understand a rental sticker but this is like a quarter machine sticker just really odd. Also I got a copy of Megaman X earlier that I swear had soda on the inside of it. Good for me since it was dirt cheap and worked after cleaning but still really strange.

What is fascinating about the current retro gaming market, is how many of the arguments from both sides of the aisle make sense. Whether you think it's a bubble or not, there are many solid points being made on either side of the argument. Really fun and exciting debate when you're a collector like most of us in here.

Edit: This was in response to SkyMasterson 10:08 post.

Yea, it makes for a fun read/discussion.

Time will tell I guess.

I do agree with the OP's post saying the VGA stuff is laughable bullshit. Could not agree more.

Thanks will give that a go then. I am always a little baffled by what is done to carts sometimes though. I can understand a rental sticker but this is like a quarter machine sticker just really odd. Also I got a copy of Megaman X earlier that I swear had soda on the inside of it. Good for me since it was dirt cheap and worked after cleaning but still really strange.
There's a mad science to recovering carts! And you can score some good loot for cheap and then clean it up to its full value.

I actually gave a lecture on this at a convention a couple of months ago.

Teknoman

How do you get the residue from the label off, after pulling it? I've got some goo be gone...but that might be too strong.

Yea, it makes for a fun read/discussion.

Time will tell I guess.

I do agree with the OP's post saying the VGA stuff is laughable bullshit. Could not agree more.

I've still not heard a good answer on who the VGA are and why their opinion is worth so much.

Kainazzo

Has anyone ever found one of these cases in pristine condition? For almost two decades I've used them to store my SNES games (didn't even know they were originally for the NES), but they've become well worn (and rare) in that time. Shame, since I love the classy look; I'd love it if someone made a leather reproduction with brass rivets. Been wanting to take a crack at it myself, actually >_>.

Thanks for the link.

I disagree with the guy saying games like Contra III and Turtles in Time shouldn't be going for $30-40 because they were common titles. Sure they sold a lot, but those are staples in the SNES collection and still great games to this day, hence everyone wanting them.

If I ever downsize my SNES collection, those will be some of the last to ever go.

At the end of the day, a game is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. I think his point is just that there are so many copies out there that people shouldn't be willing to pay those prices. There's more than enough for everyone.

I mean, looking at Earthbound. On the 24th, one copy sold while eight copies were listed. On the 23rd, three copies sold while six were listed. Seems like the supply is outweighing the demand pretty heavily. So it seems clear supply is not what is driving up the costs. So what is it?

There are actually less copies of Turtles than there are Earthbound. So I guess that's not the best example to use since it does seem like it's demand is more in line with it's supply.

I've still not heard a good answer on who the VGA are and why their opinion is worth so much.

If prices really do come down over the coming years, there are some people who are going to get totally fucked for investing in VGA graded video games. I don't know who those people are since I don't know anyone who pays for that shit, but they must exist.

How do you get the residue from the label off, after pulling it? I've got some goo be gone...but that might be too strong.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Who died and made them kings? (A friend of mine who used to be big into Star Wars figurines swears by the VGA. I find the very existence of such an organization shady as hell.)

Well, that depends on the residue and the severity of what's left.

You could use a small piece of masking tape to try and tick it off.

Heating it with a hair dryer and then rolling into a ball with your finger could work too.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
When they first started off, the general reaction from the retro community was "this is a dumb scam and no one needs this".

I certainly hope people haven't bought into the idea just from their sheer persistence at the practice.

Teknoman

Cool...I think I need to go back and look at what games have stickers on them. Alot I just left alone out of label ruining fear lol.

Great advice. Used this same method (with a heat gun instead of a hair dryer) to carefully remove a yard sale sticker from a copy of Aero Fighters.

Kwixotik

I've taken a hiatus from collecting due to being broke as fudge, but I started playing FFVI today. It's pretty fun so far. What are your guys' favorite SNES RPGs? The only ones I've played are Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, but I didn't get far in Chrono Trigger. I also played a little of Super Mario RPG and up to the class change in FFIV.

Teknoman

Almost all of them honestly, but to list a few:

Final Fantasy IV
Breath of Fire II (going to be playing 1 for the first time soon)
Final Fantasy VI
Earthbound
Secret of Mana
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia

Of course my tops might change now that we've got access to repros / knowledge of some other RPGs that flew over my radar (I want to play Paladin's Quest).

I've taken a hiatus from collecting due to being broke as fudge, but I started playing FFVI today. It's pretty fun so far. What are your guys' favorite SNES RPGs? The only ones I've played are Earthbound and Chrono Trigger, but I didn't get far in Chrono Trigger. I also played a little of Super Mario RPG and up to the class change in FFIV.

title.gif

By far my favorite SNES RPG.

For fans of the series, it's got pretty much every major character that you would want to see and it even has voiced attacks. It's actually a really fun game. Ended up getting a repro cart of it a few years ago just so I could play it on my actual SNES.

I don't mind traditional RPGs, but I haven't played many: Dragon Warrior I, Final Fantasy I & IV, Chrono Trigger and Lunar SSSC, that's it. So, almost by default, Chrono Trigger is my favourite on the SNES (even though I got creamed at the final boss, lol).

emb

So I was just looking at some of my games the other day, and noticed that my copy of Megaman X has no back label, but instead has raised plastic text saying what the label would say. Is that normal for that game? I tried to kind of feel the back of my other carts, and I don't think there are are letters carved out like that under the labels. Weird, though it's not really a big deal to me. I paid 5 bucks at a pawn shop any way, plus it's not rare and not even in great shape.

IrishNinja

it may be, but i hate it all the same - again i think gaming culture in general still treats itself as disposable entertainment.
we should celebrate landmarks in design the way movie buffs celebrate advances in storytelling, cinematography

I'm too lazy to sell it but I could probably trade?

Yeah, but only in a roundabout fashion.

sounds alright by me, you looking for anything in particular? feel free to post or PM details man!

also i gotta know your MUSHA roundabout story.

Maybe a Majesco reprint?

Probably a good guess. I just checked mine and it has a normal sticker though.

EDIT: Just did some googling. There are supposedly three versions of X. Made in Japan, Made in Mexico, Assembled in Mexico (Majesco version which won't have the sticker).

Sorry I haven't been very active lately. Life stuff and not a lot of cash for SNES games, plus I've been kind of really getting into the 3DS lately because I picked up an XL.

At any rate, which link did you want added to the OP? The clear cases for $59?

edit: This one... http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

No problem. I think that and a link to the cover project and maybe a quick guide on how to get them printed would be good (just plain legal size paper is really the only important part).

Oh and thanks Pixy and Sky.

Anytime! Hope you get a trade out of it.

So I was just looking at some of my games the other day, and noticed that my copy of Megaman X has no back label, but instead has raised plastic text saying what the label would say. Is that normal for that game? I tried to kind of feel the back of my other carts, and I don't think there are are letters carved out like that under the labels. Weird, though it's not really a big deal to me. I paid 5 bucks at a pawn shop any way, plus it's not rare and not even in great shape.

Mine's the same way. Always wondered about it too.

I actually prefer it that way without thee sticker. Easier to clean and one less thing to worry about on a cart when I make a purchase.

Edit: Here's a really nice copy of MMX for not a bad price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-X-Super-Nintendo-1993-gr8-cond-free-shipping-listing-num-A14-/171014681424?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item27d144f350

Top Bottom