• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

smbu2000

Today I have ordered;

Controller Extension Cables - goddamn SFC cables are short!
Astro GO GO - amazing box art, kinda crappy game but one I played the crap out of anyway
Natsume's Wrasslin' game - SFC version because Natsume are awesome and this game was neat

SNES! :D

Haha, this is what I think as well! I also have a SNES mini and I always use the SNES controller it came with even on my SFC simply because it has the nice long cord!

Credo

I'm having a bit of trouble with one of my games. You know how some old games have the flicker effect? Well, I was playing King of Dragons yesterday, and as I started out, there was quite a bit of flickering with my character and the enemies on the screen. I'm kind of used to this, so it didn't bother me too much. However, it did become an issue when, at certain points on the screen, my character and the enemies would completely disappear. If I kept moving, I'd eventually get to a point on the screen that would make them reappear, but it was very annoying. This became a horrible problem when I came to the boss fight at the end of the first stage and both my character and the boss were invisible. I took the cart out, cleaned it with alcohol and Q-tips, and tried it again. My cleaning apparently did nothing because the same amount of flickering was present, including the invisibility with the boss at the end of the first level.

I had been playing as the same character (the warrior), so I tried playing as another character (the archer). Fortunately, I was able to see and beat the boss at the end of the first level, even though there was still a lot of flicker happening throughout the whole level. BUT....unfortunately, I got to the sixth or seventh level's boss as the archer and the same problem happened again. My archer and the boss became invisible, rendering the game unplayable.

I don't know if this explanation makes any sense, but if it does, can someone tell me what the problem is? Is it a problem with my cart, or is it my SNES that's the problem, or could the problem be caused by the plasma HDTV I'm playing it on?

Haha, this is what I think as well! I also have a SNES mini and I always use the SNES controller it came with even on my SFC simply because it has the nice long cord!

I use American SNES controllers on my SFC not only for controller length, but also because I actually like the lavender and purple buttons, and more importantly the concave X and Y buttons.

Zing

Banned
I have owned Ninja Warriors for a long time, but I have a quirk where I don't play games if I don't have the manual. I always read the manual first, and keep it handy. I haven't seen a manual on eBay for at least a year, other than a CIB or two.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have the SFC cart of Ninja Warriors and even the story intro is in English with Japanese subtitles.
Sweet. Now I just need a copy to come up on eBay that isn't CIB and over $100. Looks like the last two auctions sold around $40, I'm way into that price.

ys45

Yeah CIB Ninja Warrior are very expensive tough, i might go for the cart only

Im trying to get all the best Beat em up game on SFC/SNES

So far i got:

King of Dragons
Knight of the Round
Final Fight

Next target is Ninja Warriors and if IIRC Power Rangers was good too i remember playing one as kid and it was great (game play similar to Ninja Warriors)

inner-G

Banned
Yeah CIB Ninja Warrior are very expensive tough, i might go for the cart only

Im trying to get all the best Beat em up game on SFC/SNES

So far i got:

King of Dragons
Knight of the Round
Final Fight

Next target is Ninja Warriors and if IIRC Power Rangers was good too i remember playing one as kid and it was great (game play similar to Ninja Warriors)
If you don't have Final Fight 3 or Turtles in Time, those are both solid beat-em-up picks.

smbu2000

I use American SNES controllers on my SFC not only for controller length, but also because I actually like the lavender and purple buttons, and more importantly the concave X and Y buttons.

Really? I don't know I like the color scheme of the JP SFC controller, even though I grew up playing a US SNES (as I'm from the USA.) The concave XY buttons are useful for finding which buttons are which quickly, but to be honest I didn't even notice that the buttons on the SFC controller were different at first. The cord length is what really stood out for me.

Glad to see Im not the only one preferring Soul Blazer, i also got tired of Gaia and just stoped playing (emulator)

Nah, you're definitely not alone. Like I said previously, it seems each of the three are pretty equal as to which people prefer. Just know that Illusion of Gaia sold the most, so my opinion is obviously the correct one.
sarcasm

smbu2000

Just got Mother 1 (FC) and Mother 2 (SFC) in the mail! Very nice! I really like the look of the Mother 1 cart, why didn't more SFC/SNES have different colors?

Anyway, looking forward to playing Mother 1 on my recently acquired AV Famicom.

(I already had the GBA games, just threw them in for the picture.)

P1010653_a_zpscf3d3927.jpg

MoxManiac

The main thing I like about Soul Blazer over Gaia is there's so little text/dialogue in comparison. In SB you are walking around and fighting within like 3 minutes of starting a new game. Gaia on the other hand, makes you sit through piles of horrible dialogue before you get to do anything meaningful.

The main thing I like about Soul Blazer over Gaia is there's so little text/dialogue in comparison. In SB you are walking around and fighting within like 3 minutes of starting a new game. Gaia on the other hand, makes you sit through piles of horrible dialogue before you get to do anything meaningful.

The opening of Gaia is the fucking worst. School, cave to hang with friends, home to eat snail pie with Kara, guards taking her, go to castle, thrown in jail, and then finally actual game-play.

I still absolutely love the hell out of that game. But, yeah. Fuck that long opening.

The other big problem is the translation. There is some shit important to the story that is all kinds of nonsensical because of the translation.

Here's a whole page about the changes made to the translation, some of them were on purpose due to Nintendo of America not wanting religious themes in games.

http://www.terraearth.com/illusion-of-gaia/translations/

Zing

Banned

There is actually a decent amount throughout Soul Blazer, though, and it is all translated almost perfectly. The ending sequence was one of the longest I have seen in a SNES game, and throughout the entire game, I never once felt like something was mistranslated. Enix should have had that translator work on Gaia, because what I have seen is worse than I even I could do.

Pretty good deal! Final Fight 3 is worth $75 these days (and then some) and I have seen Final Fight 2 at $30+ for quite some time, too. (Kendo Rage kinda sucks though. ;-)

Pretty good deal! Final Fight 3 is worth $75 these days (and then some) and I have seen Final Fight 2 at $30+ for quite some time, too. (Kendo Rage kinda sucks though. ;-)
Kendo Rage was $5 and I got caught up in SETA's catalog after seeing the Nosferatu posts a few pages ago.

Plus, I'm always slightly amused at blatant anime games that made it over from that era.

Anyway, $15 for Final Fight 2, $40 for Final Fight 3 and $10 for Arcana.

Pupsicles

My adapter for my US SNES is totally fried :( anyone have any suggestions on where to get a new good one? The many I keep coming across on the Internet have reviewers warning me about them "frying" my circuits? Not sure of anyone else has had this issue? I'd really like to play my Link to the Past again.

My adapter for my US SNES is totally fried :( anyone have any suggestions on where to get a new good one? The many I keep coming across on the Internet have reviewers warning me about them "frying" my circuits? Not sure of anyone else has had this issue? I'd really like to play my Link to the Past again.
Have you check your local second hand shops?

Super Castlevania
Secret of Mana
Skyblazer
The Lost Vikings
Out to Lunch
Mega Man X (you've got the others but not this one)
Ah yeah, I'll add Super Castlevania and Mega Man X.

I have a Secret of Mana floating around out there, I just need to get it back.

I'll look out for the other too, they all look to be pretty good.

Thanks, very good suggestions.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I've updated my .txt; I separated the duplicates and made a wanted section (which still needs tweaking).

http://textdump.net/read/1754/

Also, I'm open to suggestions to add, punish me!
Pretty great list. Three Mario RPGs I found pretty amusing. How did that happen? Was it intentional? I have dupes of stuff like Mario World and All Stars but nothing great.

If you wanna sell a Mario RPG I'll buy one.

krae_man

In der mail today, about $75 for everything (and most of that on one cart).

I just looked at my collection and I have Final Fight 2 and 3 but not 1. I have no idea how that happened.

Anyway, grabbed these today:

suPBrfc.jpg

Going to have to wait to play All Stars and World since my SNES broke. Have to wait for a friend to fix it.

Pretty great list. Three Mario RPGs I found pretty amusing. How did that happen? Was it intentional? I have dupes of stuff like Mario World and All Stars but nothing great.

If you wanna sell a Mario RPG I'll buy one.
GameStop Fire Sales. 40% off plus Buy Two Get One. I mostly built up my NES collection then. I really regret not focusing on SNES until now, but I did decent with what I grabbed. I did snag a lot of doubles of RPGs because I thought they would increase in value the most, dumb me. Well, except for that spare EarthBound, yum.

Yeah, I plan to start selling stuff this weekend to help justify buying more, I'll PM you if I ever get to it, haha.

I just looked at my collection and I have Final Fight 2 and 3 but not 1. I have no idea how that happened.
I grabbed FF2 and FF3 because my friends were having a good time with co-op games and I know they're getting pricey; though to be honest, they all kind of suck.

You got the version of Mario World with the special Luigi graphics!

krae_man

I grabbed FF2 and FF3 because my friends were having a good time with co-op games and I know they're getting pricey; though to be honest, they all kind of suck.

You got the version of Mario World with the special Luigi graphics!

That they do. I remember 3 sucking most with the stupid Street fighter enemies. I just don't understand how I didn't buy the first one when I started collecting SNES games. I bought all the cheap stuff I used to own first and that should have been on the list.

I already own All Stars and World, but I am interested in the differences.

Anyway, grabbed these today:

suPBrfc.jpg

Going to have to wait to play All Stars and World since my SNES broke. Have to wait for a friend to fix it.
Street Fighter 2010 is criminally underrated/misunderstood. It's part of my top 10 NES games ever (yes). When you get the hang of the controls, the gameplay becomes amazing IMO. I find playing the game using the NES Advantage stick works better (use the turbo!). Music is classic NES goodness. Hopefully you'll truly give it a shot someday (now would be a good time since you SNES broke ;-). It is also a great example of a game that feels impossible to beat, yet everytime you play you make constant improvements and before you know it, you can beat it every time you try.

That they do. I remember 3 sucking most with the stupid Street fighter enemies. I just don't understand how I didn't buy the first one when I started collecting SNES games. I bought all the cheap stuff I used to own first and that should have been on the list.
Capcom should be ashamed of themselves if Final Fight 2 or 3 came out after any of the Streets of Rage games.

Though King of Dragons and Knights of the Round are pretty dope, so I guess I can't blame them for being lazy with Final Fight.

I already own All Stars and World, but I am interested in the differences.
It's only new sprites for Luigi, but it's really neat. He spits fireballs instead of tossing them!

Street Fighter 2010 is criminally underrated/misunderstood. It's part of my top 10 NES games ever (yes).
It's a great game! The name screwed up its legacy. Stupid Capcom (again).

I might take up a deal on some carts tomorrow to flip, I guess I could get an easy $50 or $60 profit if I bother with it (I'm so lazy, haha).

That would cover a decent uncommon, I guess.

Zing

Banned
I hate Donkey Kong Country (raises shields), but my wife like them, so they're on the invisible want list.

Both Drakkhens are fairly cheap, I'll keep an eye open for them.
I hated DKC at first also. You can probably find my negative review on Nintendoage still. I eventually came around, and ultimately had a lot of fun with all three games. The third is my favourite.

krae_man

What am I seeing here? Is that a Gameboy Advance game being played on a SNES? And if so, where can I buy this?

Until early type "Nintendo DS" "Game Boy Advance" top models of the Game Boy was supported, because the cartridge slot has been eliminated from the "Nintendo DSi", will it not often also called human cartridge no longer play. Is full of classics, such as "Super Mario Advance" series "Rhythm Tengoku", "Golden Sun", "The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap", "Made in Wario", "Ace Attorney" "Game Boy Advance", however.

Some people may be too late, so I think the hand-held game machine two generations ago, it is what you want to play occasionally. Adapter will be released in response to such a demand. Operation is possible and compatible computers, "SNES" in the adapter called "Advanced" Adapter.

You can play a game of "Game Boy Advance" then output to the TV using the AV cable is now possible. Portable device will also be compatible with the machine, such as "poke FAMI DX" also. It is a version of "Game Boy Advance" "Super Boy" and a brief description.

"Advance adapter" here reference retail price is ¥ 3400 will be released in mid-May in stock.

Memorial to more than two million units sold "poke FAMI DX" mobile compatible machine that can play the Super Nintendo Entertainment System is the first anniversary since its launch at the same time "pokeFAMI DX Black Edition" will be released. Here improves compatibility with new IC chip, playing the "SNES" more titles have become possible, and has become ever more clear screen LCD as well.

Possible to use the "Advanced adapter" even "pokeFAMI DX Black Edition" of course.

Click here for reference retail price is ¥ 6980 with the launch in late April.

This is the link google translated.

Top Bottom