• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Like I ranted long while ago, I never see any NES/SNES games in flea markets and I frequent them a lot. So yesterday I went to get a thing I saw day before that and I noticed two loose NES games in a bag. I checked the spines and they were SMB and NES Open Golf.

As I own 0 NES games at the moment (feels bad man), I would have gladly picked those up... but they were 25 euros.

Why.jpg

smbu2000

I'm just wondering, but is the game E.V.O. any good? Asking anybody who owns/has played it.
I'm thinking about picking up the SFC version (which is muuuuuch cheaper than the SNES version), but I don't want to get it if it isn't any good.

televator

Like I ranted long while ago, I never see any NES/SNES games in flea markets and I frequent them a lot. So yesterday I went to get a thing I saw day before that and I noticed two loose NES games in a bag. I checked the spines and they were SMB and NES Open Golf.

As I own 0 NES games at the moment (feels bad man), I would have gladly picked those up... but they were 25 euros.

Why.jpg

Even more stunning in light of the fact that Euro > Dollar. WTF, man? What sort of sick sad world is this? That price is insulting.

Even more stunning in light of the fact that Euro > Dollar. WTF, man? What sort of sick sad world is this? That price is insulting.

Because old must mean expensive. Same thing with records: people put 7 euro price tags for records that aren't worth even a penny because #old #retro

Can't wait for futu-boom instead of retro-boom

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I'm just wondering, but is the game E.V.O. any good? Asking anybody who owns/has played it.
I'm thinking about picking up the SFC version (which is muuuuuch cheaper than the SNES version), but I don't want to get it if it isn't any good.

I've played through it multiple times and I'd say it's a pretty good action platformer. What makes it stand out is the evolution aspect where you can evolve certain body parts to make your own freak of nature, with different stages of evolution depending on which era you're currently in. It can be a bit grindy at times, but it's not so bad. Definitely worth a playthrough.

It has a novel concept but the actual game play is kind of tedious... if you're the type that enjoys that sort of game it can be quite addictive but for others I imagine the endless biting / eating (especially when you first start) will be rather boring.

Fox Mulder

Why.jpg

Idiots think all old games are worth $2000. I found a reseller at a flea market that had a huge selection, but they were all common games overpriced out the ass.

Then I drove down the road and found good stuff for $1 at goodwill.

Idiots think all old games are worth $2000. I found a reseller at a flea market that had a huge selection, but they were all common games overpriced out the ass.

Then I drove down the road and found good stuff for $1 at goodwill.

Lucky. I haven't had any decent classic game scores at a goodwill since about 2005.
All local goodwills send the old Nintendo and Sega stuff to their auction site.

Stretched to widescreen? Gross

Aren't GBA games kinda widescreen anyways?

Yeah. GBA's aspect ratio is 3:2. Ideally it would display in a 3:2 window, but it's closer to 16:9 than it is to 4:3.

Credo

I'm going to repost this from earlier in hopes someone might know the answer. I hope you all don't mind:

I'm having a bit of trouble with one of my games. You know how some old games have the flicker effect? Well, I was playing King of Dragons yesterday, and as I started out, there was quite a bit of flickering with my character and the enemies on the screen. I'm kind of used to this, so it didn't bother me too much. However, it did become an issue when, at certain points on the screen, my character and the enemies would completely disappear. If I kept moving, I'd eventually get to a point on the screen that would make them reappear, but it was very annoying. This became a horrible problem when I came to the boss fight at the end of the first stage and both my character and the boss were invisible. I took the cart out, cleaned it with alcohol and Q-tips, and tried it again. My cleaning apparently did nothing because the same amount of flickering was present, including the invisibility with the boss at the end of the first level.

I had been playing as the same character (the warrior), so I tried playing as another character (the archer). Fortunately, I was able to see and beat the boss at the end of the first level, even though there was still a lot of flicker happening throughout the whole level. BUT....unfortunately, I got to the sixth or seventh level's boss as the archer and the same problem happened again. My archer and the boss became invisible, rendering the game unplayable.

I don't know if this explanation makes any sense, but if it does, can someone tell me what the problem is? Is it a problem with my cart, or is it my SNES that's the problem, or could the problem be caused by the plasma HDTV I'm playing it on?

Hey all, I'm selling off a bunch of Super Famicom games as well as some Famicom games. Hope it's okay if I provide a link to my post in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. I've sold a lot to a few regular posters in this thread, actually.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51742185&postcount=6128

I've bought a lot from Dog Problems, and all of it is of great quality that collectors would appreciate.

smbu2000

I've played through it multiple times and I'd say it's a pretty good action platformer. What makes it stand out is the evolution aspect where you can evolve certain body parts to make your own freak of nature, with different stages of evolution depending on which era you're currently in. It can be a bit grindy at times, but it's not so bad. Definitely worth a playthrough.

It has a novel concept but the actual game play is kind of tedious... if you're the type that enjoys that sort of game it can be quite addictive but for others I imagine the endless biting / eating (especially when you first start) will be rather boring.

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like an interesting concept and I wouldn't mind trying it out. The game isn't too expensive, but I just bought another game though so I'll wait for a little bit before I pick it up. Thanks again.

Fox Mulder

Lucky. I haven't had any decent classic game scores at a goodwill since about 2005.
All local goodwills send the old Nintendo and Sega stuff to their auction site.

There's one goodwill here that does that, but you can usually tell if there's nothing but old toasters and clothes. A goodwill close to my work regularly has game goodies like consoles, games, and controllers. I just drop in and see what they have on my way home. I got a working n64 that had an expansion pak for $5 yesterday. I got a fat ps2 there for $10 that I flipped for $50 on ebay. A perfect working NES Advantage for $2.

Jomjom

Banned
I figured this question would be relevant here, but I have a copy of Chrono Trigger that has complete everything, even down to the survey card thing that you were supposed to send to Square as well as the cartridge baggie. However, the outer box has a 3 inch vertical slash through the front. I'm thinking of selling it, but I have no idea how much this would affect the value? I'm guessing it would kill it.

krae_man

Turns out I can't play All Stars+World on my FC 16 Go. There seem to be compatibility issues. Also I don't want to dig up the TV out and wireless controllers so I can be player 2.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I figured this question would be relevant here, but I have a copy of Chrono Trigger that has complete everything, even down to the survey card thing that you were supposed to send to Square as well as the cartridge baggie. However, the outer box has a 3 inch vertical slash through the front. I'm thinking of selling it, but I have no idea how much this would affect the value? I'm guessing it would kill it.
Yeah I think the box is mostly worthless but shove it up on ebay anyway, someone may well disagree and buy it for more that just the cart price.

Thanks again to Drain You for the copy of DKC3:

CP7mLTM.jpg

Arrived today, and now my trilogy is complete. You are seriously awesome.

Teknoman

Got an offer for FFVI for my Shadowrun on Nintendoage, asking the guy to send pics of its condition first. He did say he would want me to send the game first and then he would send ffvi upon reciept. Is that the usual procedure for trading or could it be precautions since im new? Im cool with it if the games looks good, but just hope i dont get burned. Guess hes thinking the same lol.

Fox Mulder

Got an offer for FFVI for my Shadowrun on Nintendoage, asking the guy to send pics of its condition first. He did say he would want me to send the game first and then he would send ffvi upon reciept. Is that the usual procedure for trading or could it be precautions since im new? Im cool with it if the games looks good, but just hope i dont get burned. Guess hes thinking the same lol.

NA has built in user feedback for transactions, so you can see his history. If he's good, I wouldn't worry as it's because you're a new user.

Teknoman

NA has built in user feedback for transactions, so you can see his history. If he's good, I wouldn't worry as it's because you're a new user.

Makes sense. Yeah his feedback is pretty good so i've got nothing to worry about. I could just send him the game tomorrow, but I guess I should just wait on the pics he said he would take Monday.

I just spent eight hours game hunting, a big chain here was doing B2G1.

It was garbage, waste of time, waste of energy, waste of spirits.

I came out with some games, but for the time invested, I would have rather shot a load on eBay.

NES Spoils:
Xenophobe
Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary
Fisher-Price: Perfect Fit
Bee-52
Rollerball
The Black Bass
Othello
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Super Jeopardy!

SNES Spoils:
Baseball Simulator 1.000
Smash TV
Hyperzone
The Ignition Factor
Sim City
Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose
Hook
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure

Genesis Spoils:
Bonanza Brothers
Arrow Flash
Tiny Toons All Stars
Fantasia
Tiny Toons Buster's Hidden Treasure

I spent $17 real money (the one off location we went to) and about $50 (?) store credit.

Jhriad

I just spent eight hours game hunting, a big chain here was doing B2G1.

Game XChange? Went by mine for that deal earlier in the month. Actually found some gems in the Atari selection.

Hey all, I'm selling off a bunch of Super Famicom games as well as some Famicom games. Hope it's okay if I provide a link to my post in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. I've sold a lot to a few regular posters in this thread, actually.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=51742185&postcount=6128

That copy of The Goonies is tempting. I'd better not though.

smbu2000

I found this SFC case earlier today. It was only 580 yen and it came with a (non-working) SFC console, 2 controllers, AV cables and a power adapter. Not bad!

I also picked up these at the same shop.
The loose FC carts were 100 yen each, boxed Goemon gaiden FC game and Hokuto no Ken 6 SFC cart were 280 yen each. Pretty good prices.

I found this SFC case earlier today. It was only 580 yen and it came with a (non-working) SFC console, 2 controllers, AV cables and a power adapter. Not bad!
If those controllers are extra (and official Nintendo SFCs in good condition), I would really like a pair.

But otherwise, I'm really jealous of the Japanese retro scene, all dem 100 yen games.

Jhriad

But otherwise, I'm really jealous of the Japanese retro scene, all dem 100 yen games.

After another morning of garage/yard sale hunting only to hear "Someone was just here and bought all our video game stuff" at every place I'm jealous of any scene where you can find anything reasonably priced.

After another morning of garage/yard sale hunting only to hear "Someone was just here and bought all our video game stuff" at every place I'm jealous of any scene where you can find anything reasonably priced.
Indeed. After yesterday's adventures (Movie Trading, by the way, not GameXchange), I am done with local hunting for the most part.

smbu2000

If those controllers are extra (and official Nintendo SFCs in good condition), I would really like a pair.

Well one was the Nintendo one and the other was an Ascii pad. I think that's my second Ascii pad now and I have a couple of SFC controllers. The stereo AV cables and Power Adapter were both official Nintendo ones, which is nice as I can use them with my AV Famicom as well!

Picture quality isn't great as I just took the pic with my phone. I usually use my camera for pics.

I also picked up these GB games for 100 yen each:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52035675&postcount=467

They also had a Gold N64 with an extra gold controller there as well for 3480 yen that I'm thinking about picking up.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
hitting gamers paradise and gameworld today along with the pinball hall of fame in las vegas hope the 2 retro stores pay off and I can find wild guns or evo

Well, I'm not happy with what I paid for it considering how long it's been on my eBay Watch List and how many times I saw it sell in lots for $60 or so a couple of years ago, but this is the final "big dollar" NES game I could really care to have in my collection. Plus it's in crisp condition and it was off of NintendoAge instead of eBay, so that's good.

IrishNinja

took Draclua X (SFC) for about $40, that feels way more fair than the SNES rate.

honestly i just noticed this one, and it's another great deal - Dracula X + Super Castlevania IV for $70, you get both uncensored & plus idve just sold my SNES SC IV for like $35 anyway.

RPGs aside, i wonder why more of you guys aren't importing? its supposed to be a simple mod, and stuff like Mega Man X2 looks way way cheaper, im sure other games as well. for me, they're all going in universal game cases anyway, but you gotta admit most SFC carts have way better labels!

I need to get an ASCII Pad soon. I wonder if I can drop in purple and lavender buttons from a SNES Pad.

that would be a pretty pimp controller, man

took Draclua X (SFC) for about $40, that feels way more fair than the SNES rate.

honestly i just noticed this one, and it's another great deal - Dracula X + Super Castlevania IV for $70, you get both uncensored & plus idve just sold my SNES SC IV for like $35 anyway.

RPGs aside, i wonder why more of you guys aren't importing? its supposed to be a simple mod, and stuff like Mega Man X2 looks way way cheaper, im sure other games as well. for me, they're all going in universal game cases anyway, but you gotta admit most SFC carts have way better labels!

No end labels though. So if you have a bunch or cart-only games, organization becomes an Issue. I know that very well with my N64 stuff.

I try to only pick up import titles if they're exclusive to a region or generally better than the American version (like Bare Knuckle III). For a lot of people it's all about uniformity.

that would be a pretty pimp controller, man

I'd import but I've already got nearly all the games I want for the SNES and the ones I do want are kinda text heavy so I got to go with the American version, ugh.

IrishNinja

ah, both fair points...i certainly cant bitch about subjective stuff like uniformity while im replacing my genesis shelf's universal game cases with proper shells out of some OCD shit, heh. and text heavy stuff is of course a deal-breaker.

i just mention it because so many action & other titles we post links to here are a great deal cheaper, is all. it's also cool that the Retron 5 (assuming that goes well, in terms of fidelity) won't give you any issues with em.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I tried to stick to US releases when available but the prices are silly as hell in a lot of cases, so SFC it is. It's been a dangerous god damn game, though. So many games I never knew about I now know about and want
or have already bought.

Teknoman

Well, I'm not happy with what I paid for it considering how long it's been on my eBay Watch List and how many times I saw it sell in lots for $60 or so a couple of years ago, but this is the final "big dollar" NES game I could really care to have in my collection. Plus it's in crisp condition and it was off of NintendoAge instead of eBay, so that's good.

I've...never seen that game before. Its crazy how many 8 bit and 16 bit games that released and flew right by me as a kid/pre-teen. Then again, we usually just Gamepro/Nintendo Power/EGM or cover art shopped.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
got captain commando for kinda cheap at gameworld and boxed copies of star tropics and 1943 for $10 each at gamers paradise was pretty cool the big stuff i wanted though was not for sale boxed aes and pcengine along with a atari lynx and i was ready to drop some bones down on them

Teknoman

Man I cant find a high quality scan of the SFC Super Adventure Island boxart anywhere...

517a9Ebw2gL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Actually i'd probably be good to make a request with just a larger version of that art.

Teknoman

Brain+Lord.gif

Decided to sit down with Brainlord today. Cool surprise in that the graphics are nice, and the soundtrack has a cool early SNES feel to it, for example Town of Arcs or the main overworld/road to tower theme, which gives me Ys vibes.

A little while after starting the game and reading the intro / talking to the npcs, I wondered why the game was called Brainlord, since there was more talk of "The tower of light" and "Dragon warriors" than anything else.

I've been wandering around the tower for a couple hours...now I know.

Puzzles, phantom floors, and fake doors aside, the combat system is pretty straight forward (attack with B, block with Y, jump with A) and has a decent pace to it. You can also buy/find "fairy" (they actually look like little demons / familiars) helpers that float behind you, either boosting stats, healing/reviving you, or blasting different elements at enemies. Haven't run into a boss yet, but I think i'm getting close...or at least I hope so.

EDIT: Yup...but the boss type caught me completely off guard. I can take Resident Evil, Dead Space, Silent Hill, and Dark Souls monstrosities...but
Giant cockroaches
still make me feel itchy lol.

IrishNinja

^that is so awesome, i cant justify it myself but its such a cool cabinet.

and tekno, those brainlord tracks you posted make me wanna play that one!

so...Hagane looks like another easy SFC decision, eh

Yep, I'm doing the same thing.

I'm pretty adamant about getting the NA versions of all the games I want, but fuck the American version of Hagane. Way too damn expensive and even if you do find it for cheaper than it's going rate, it'll be in shit condition.

Yep, I'm doing the same thing.

I'm pretty adamant about getting the NA versions of all the games I want, but fuck the American version of Hagane. Way too damn expensive and even if you do find it for cheaper than it's going rate, it'll be in shit condition.

Yeah, the condition issue is why I originally went with the SF version. If I'm remembering right it was a Blockbuster exclusive in the US, which explains why every US copy I've ever seen has had their stickers on it. And I think they were the annoying kind that are still sort of there even after it has been taken off. A lot of video rental stores used those damn stickers.

It's been well over a decade since I've searched out a copy of it so maybe nicer copies are more available.

Top Bottom