• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Danielsan

Wel then, this came in the mail yesterday:

gXgY84Y.jpg

The most expensive SNES cartridge I currently own. Paid almost € 100 for it. Was it worth it? Probably not. But I really wanted to own a copy of this game.

Also picked up Brain Lord for less than € 10 with shipping and I got a copy of Contra III for my birthday from my father. A copy of Megaman X should also be on the way as well.

CT62J3a.jpg

Thanks again to Drain You for the copy of DKC3:

CP7mLTM.jpg

Arrived today, and now my trilogy is complete. You are seriously awesome.

Lucky, that's the last one I'm looking for too. #3 in series seem to escape me. I have Mega Man X 1 and 2 now but I don't know if I'll ever own 3 at the price it's at now.

Krelian

Wel then, this came in the mail yesterday:

gXgY84Y.jpg

The most expensive SNES cartridge I currently own. Paid almost € 100 for it. Was it worth it? Probably not. But I really wanted to own a copy of this game.
How come the box is US while the cartridge is PAL? Was it cheaper this way? I'd like to have a copy of this game as well. Maybe some day...

Danielsan

How come the box is US while the cartridge is PAL? Was it cheaper this way? I'd like to have a copy of this game as well. Maybe some day...
Dude who was selling it had it this way and I didn't really mind. The cartridge alone (English version) tends to go for up to € 99-120 in Europe so I took the box, which is in pretty good condition, as a great plus.

lupin23rd

Is it import friendly?

I don't really mind getting SFC versions, I just want to be able to read them. I saw a SFC version of Demons Crest end for a good price yesterday on eBay too.

Is Demon's Crest on the Japanese SFC usually available for a reasonable price?

After remembering that the game exists, I've only ever seen two copies here in Japan in the last few months - both at the same store, and cart-only being 6000 yen while the boxed version was 15000 yen. Unclear if it was still sealed, but I doubt it because Mother 1+2, Mother 3, and EVO were all way overpriced and marked as "beautiful condition".

Wouldn't mind giving this game a go.

Danielsan

Is Demon's Crest on the Japanese SFC usually available for a reasonable price?

After remembering that the game exists, I've only ever seen two copies here in Japan in the last few months - both at the same store, and cart-only being 6000 yen while the boxed version was 15000 yen. Unclear if it was still sealed, but I doubt it because Mother 1+2, Mother 3, and EVO were all way overpriced and marked as "beautiful condition".

Wouldn't mind giving this game a go.
Around €54 ($ 69) seems to be cheapest Demon's Blazon goes for on Ebay right now. Still cheaper than the US or PAL cartridges, but compared to the prices of the US cartridge you really don't save all that much.

smbu2000

Just picked up these two games today when I was out browsing. Ranma 1/2 was 250 yen and Gokujou Parodius was 950 yen. Both in good condition.

I need to get an ASCII Pad soon. I wonder if I can drop in purple and lavender buttons from a SNES Pad.

I was thinking of doing the same, but only to get Famicom colors in my OG controller.

Yeah, it's very easy to swap the buttons. Took me a few minutes to unscrew both controllers and swap the buttons between the ASCII Pad and my SNES controller. The buttons fit fine in both controllers.
The ASCII Pad has a much longer cord than SFC controllers, although not quite as long as a SNES controller.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
to continue this threads obsession with borked mega man x carts took this while at one of the game shops was just funny because all the other carts were in perfect shape
messedupx_zpsefb32f06.jpg

IrishNinja

^haha that's actually not half bad! seen way way worse, god i hated those generic gamestop inserts for years

also props to Danielsan, not many Demons Crests up in here! lemme know how far you get too, heh

Is it import friendly?

I don't really mind getting SFC versions, I just want to be able to read them. I saw a SFC version of Demons Crest end for a good price yesterday on eBay too.

i sure hope so - it's a ninja action game where i don't see much text.

speaking of, just copped it on ebay for $45 shipped, fuck yeah

^haha that's actually not half bad! seen way way worse, god i hated those generic gamestop inserts for years

also props to Danielsan, not many Demons Crests up in here! lemme know how far you get too, heh

I got the first shitty ending. Need to go back and figure out what you have to do to get the rest of the game.

So I saw this today. The items of interest were priced at $100. I am basically broke (aka just got married, going to Disney World in three months and then buying a house right after that) so I just ended up posting to NintendoAge: "Cover cost plus a little, I'll go back." To be honest, I probably could have grabbed the Donkey Kong Jr. and flipped it for an easy extra $100+ (it's probably a 9.5 out of 10) but I ended up grabbing it for someone on NA for the price of lunch for me and my wife.

That was my gamer good karma for the day! I hope it turns around on me. :)

Yeah, it's very easy to swap the buttons. Took me a few minutes to unscrew both controllers and swap the buttons between the ASCII Pad and my SNES controller. The buttons fit fine in both controllers.
Nice! I want to try and find a better ASCII Pad first, the buttons in mine are a little battle worn.

Danielsan

i sure hope so - it's a ninja action game where i don't see much text.

speaking of, just copped it on ebay for $45 shipped, fuck yeah
Got the first and second ending today. Spend the entire day going through every fucking level 5 times to get the rest of the upgrades. Only to realize that
you can break the skull piles from the second and sixth level with your dash
, as well as fact that
there are in fact upgrades in the level that leads to Phalanx
. Had to use a FAQ to find those things out. Tomorrow I'll go for the third and final ending. :) If I can win the
third headbutt game
that is...

Teknoman

Is it import friendly?

I wouldnt mind most action games, especially if the text isnt that important or I already know the story for the most part.

to continue this threads obsession with borked mega man x carts took this while at one of the game shops was just funny because all the other carts were in perfect shape
messedupx_zpsefb32f06.jpg

Now that is how you replace a cover!

Is anyone else like me and just resigning themselves to wait for a potential bubble to pop? I think a big part of the ridiculous increase in prices is because people who gamed on these systems back in the day were mostly children at the time and are now in a position where they can afford to buy a bunch of these games. I'm kind of thinking of just waiting it out for the SNES collecting thing to pass so I can buy the carts I want without forking over $40+ for each one (and in some cases well over $150).

I'm not talking waiting like 2 months either, I'm talking years, possibly close to 10.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i really dont know the big boom didnt really start till id say mid 2012 when i saw prices start to sky rocket you might be able to wait it out but whos to say how supply and demand will be then might go down or might go even higher

Is anyone else like me and just resigning themselves to wait for a potential bubble to pop? I think a big part of the ridiculous increase in prices is because people who gamed on these systems back in the day were mostly children at the time and are now in a position where they can afford to buy a bunch of these games. I'm kind of thinking of just waiting it out for the SNES collecting thing to pass so I can buy the carts I want without forking over $40+ for each one (and in some cases well over $150).

I'm not talking waiting like 2 months either, I'm talking years, possibly close to 10.

I just suck it up often times. I keep waiting and waiting for the bubble to burst and then it doesn't. Summer is coming, I can go to the flea market and find stuff to sell, thus buying up whatever retro games I so desire.

Fox Mulder

Sure, you could wait it out, but you only live once. It's not so bad paying $80 or whatever on games you really really want. Everything released these days is $60 regardless of quality, and cartridge games could go for more than that back in the day.

I just accept that these are the prices now.

Rezae

Maybe the pricing bubble will burst when this overly long generation finally rides into the sunset and the not-so-hardcore collectors dump all of their collections to fund PS4 and 720 purchases.

I think the bubble will pop over the next 2-5 years. There will be people who get a nice collection going, then move onto the next hobby and unload everything they've collected to fund something new. Shit, even I was at a guitar shop a couple days ago and started having some bad thoughts about what I could buy if I dropped my SNES stuff.

IrishNinja

also Rygar, what shop is that? looks awesome.
and yeah i could see swapping for the SFC buttons, there was a guy in our own buy/sell thread selling usable SFC controllers on the cheap though

i wanna say yeah, wait long enough (10 years, damn) and you should see things level off...but i could totally be wrong, maybe good copies of things will be harder to get, or some Retron system release will get more folks buying them? hard to say, personally our digital future has me thinking it's worth investing in, but i agree that especially on the SNES front shit's silly.

thankfully most of what's left on my short list is cheap shmups like Axelay and Gradius 3...R Type 3 can eat a dick though

Sure, you could wait it out, but you only live once. It's not so bad paying $80 or whatever on games you really really want. Everything released these days is $60 regardless of quality, and cartridge games could go for more than that back in the day.

I just accept that these are the prices now.

it's funny, i was haggling forever for a $25 loose copy of Phantasy Star IV (one of my favorite JRPGs) and then remembered being a kid and spending a $100 gift certificate for EB and getting like $2 and change back...only difference was a cheap paper box and black & white instructions.
I'm doing the same shit with Lufia 2, never bought it when i really wanted it cause it went from like $75-80 to simply not for sale, now im just being cheap cause i saw an auction where 1 + 2 went for like $40 and i wanna catch that

Maybe the pricing bubble will burst when this overly long generation finally rides into the sunset and the not-so-hardcore collectors dump all of their collections to fund PS4 and 720 purchases.

man in this current climate, there's gonna be people scooping that up so fast...ive gone to craigstlist offerings the very morning theyve come up and been too slow

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
was the gamesworld in las vegas some of their prices were way off but they had a few things for under ebay/amazon prices that i should of bought but was in a hurry and only grabbed captain commando from them passed up a loose cart chrono trigger for $55

I went home this weekend and decided to take some pictures of my game collection to share. I had been on a buying-spree 2 years ago, which added quite a few. I noticed prices suddenly got crazy for a lot of games, so I'm glad I got out while I could.

I'm very pleased with my collection, as the vast majority are CIB and in excellent condition. Anything with an obvious price tag is actually on plastic outside of the box. Battleclash and Super Star Wars are sealed. All boxed games include manuals. Most include inserts.

My loose carts are an odd story, as I got them from a brother's friend way back in the day: $40 for FFII, FFIII, Mana and Kirby. BoFII was from a gentleman on GAF. The rest have been purchased in-store or on eBay.

Not Pictured:
- console + 2 controllers (CIB)
- console + 2 controllers (loose)
- Mario Paint box + manual + mouse + pad
- official Nintendo S-video cables
- variety of official strategy guides

Regrets:
- sold Mega Man X2 (loose) FOR $22 BACK IN 2005
- sold Ogre Battle (loose), didn't think I needed second copy
- sold DKC3 (CIB) + guide, because I was stupid

televator

At first I just thought Mega Man carts got beat up the same as any other cart, but now I think Mega Man carts are exactly the kind of carts that are expected to be damaged. What is this phenomena?

thankfully most of what's left on my short list is cheap shmups like Axelay and Gradius 3...R Type 3 can eat a dick though
R-Type 3 is much better than Axelay, and Gradius 3 is much better elsewhere (Saturn, Playstation, PSP, and PS2). I'd skip those two in lieu of R-Type 3.

At first I just thought Mega Man carts got beat up the same as any other cart, but now I think Mega Man carts are exactly the kind of carts that are expected to be damaged. What is this phenomena?

I can't speak to the original release, but the Majesco reprints of Mega Man X have cheaper labels that are more susceptible to damage.

Danielsan

Fuck the true final Demon's Crest boss. Seriously. The entire game is pretty easy thanks to the continue system. Bosses and levels range from easy to challenging but fair. And then you try to go for the true ending and have to deal with a hard as shit mini game and two ridiculously hard boss fights. Guess I'll have to grind some coins to stock up on ginseng.

Gameboy415

Man I cant find a high quality scan of the SFC Super Adventure Island boxart anywhere...

517a9Ebw2gL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Actually i'd probably be good to make a request with just a larger version of that art.

If I can get my scanner working with my new PC, I'll scan my copy for ya.
I should have time to tinker with it this weekend.

IrishNinja

R-Type 3 is much better than Axelay, and Gradius 3 is much better elsewhere (Saturn, Playstation, PSP, and PS2). I'd skip those two in lieu of R-Type 3.

aw, dammit...i guess ill look into gradius 3 on the others, if i can swing a cheap axelay i might still though.

R-Type 3...what's a good price? that's another fine candidate for SFC purchase if there's a big enough price gap

ps found you guys a winner here

Teknoman

If I can get my scanner working with my new PC, I'll scan my copy for ya.
I should have time to tinker with it this weekend.

That would be great, thanks.

EDIT: Gradius 3 doesnt really feel that bad on SNES...but then again thats the only version i've played. I'd go after SFC R-Type 3 if only for the cover art. The NA version looks like some sort of placeholder art. Looks like you can find it for around 30-35...but alot of places online are trying to charge 70+ if they can. 50+ for the NA version.

emb

Oh, R-Type 3 is expensive? Makes me feel even better about finding it for 5 bucks at a pawn shop. So rare to actually find good deals. Cool game too!

Teknoman

Oh, R-Type 3 is expensive? Makes me feel even better about finding it for 5 bucks at a pawn shop. So rare to actually find good deals. Cool game too!

Yeah I had no idea it was pricey until I actually looked it up on a whim. Actually i'd never seen the NA cover art before tonight lol. Played the GBA version and the Virtual Console release, but I think I might join the SFC crowd on this one.

Then again, the price gap seems to only be 10 bucks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I really like Gradius III on SNES... its one of those cases where it might be arcade-imperfect, but I love the SNES music+graphics and unique changes to the gameplay (Turtles in Time is in a similar boat).

IrishNinja

yeah, im putting in an offer or two on the cheap...never got to play it, and shmups are one of those genres i love but rarely get better at, heh

also, went & looked up Captain Commando...well, that's what i get for thinking that'd be cheap/Spawn-priced

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
yeah, im putting in an offer or two on the cheap...never got to play it, and shmups are one of those genres i love but rarely get better at, heh

I didn't even really get into them till my late 20s. Now I'm not bad. There is hope!

ys45

Is it me or there is some kind pattern here for SNES ?

I mean the first game in a series is cheap/affordable (i.e Lufia or Mega Man X) and then the sequel is like + 100% more expensive.

Is it because they produced less copy ?

Is it me or there is some kind pattern here for SNES ?

I mean the first game in a series is cheap/affordable (i.e Lufia or Mega Man X) and then the sequel is like + 100% more expensive.

Is it because they produced less copy ?

Yes, the sequels tend to be more scarce. Same trend goes for many NES games too, especially if the sequels were released very late in the system's life.

Yeah I had no idea it was pricey until I actually looked it up on a whim. Actually i'd never seen the NA cover art before tonight lol. Played the GBA version and the Virtual Console release, but I think I might join the SFC crowd on this one.

Then again, the price gap seems to only be 10 bucks.

I was happy to find a copy recently at a Half Price Books for about $19.. not super cheap but not overly expensive. Still doesn't beat my copy of SMRPG for $4 at a flea market.

ys45

I went to flea market last week and i got Paladin's quest with manual and box for 25$ but the box is pretty screwed up and the map is missing .

I also got Raiden Trad CIB for 15$ and Final Fight 2 (cart only) at 20$

I saw Chrono Trigger cart at 70$ and Lufia 2 box only for like 70$
The guy was also selling empty box of Mighty Final Fight on NES for 150$

At first i tought Lufia 2 was CIB for this price i was gonna get it, but then the guy told me it was an emtpy box -_-

Oh and MMX3 CIB (very good condition) at 250$
So i guess i can forget flea market for getting rare games at decent price .

I went to flea market last week and i got Paladin's quest with manual and box for 25$ but the box is pretty screwed up and the map is missing .

At first i tought Lufia 2 was CIB for this price i was gonna get it, but then the guy told me it was an emtpy box -_-

Resellers know the value of their stuff. If you want real deals at the flea market you're going to have to rummage through random vendors items.

Teknoman

Yeah just go to different flea markets/thrift stores and do what Sixteen-bit says. You never know what you'll find in random bins/behind counters/inside toy bags.

Its also how I got my Mischief Makers for 2 bucks and a back lit SP for 3.

I was happy to find a copy recently at a Half Price Books for about $19.. not super cheap but not overly expensive. Still doesn't beat my copy of SMRPG for $4 at a flea market.

Thats pretty good, especially considering alot of the HPB in my area seem to go for online prices most of the time. You can find some good stuff in there that miss the mark though. Never anything involving popular characters or series unfortunately.

Top Bottom