• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

-KRS-

I guess you're right I've found a few cheaper, so far none under $50 though.

Wanted to try Ogre Battle, cheapest one was $93 plus shipping on ebay. Ugh I wish I could read japanese.

Don't we all. Dont we all... =/

Or German for that matter. Some of those RPGs released in Germany with only German text are dirt cheap on auction sites outside of Germany.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
finally found super bomberman now all i need is mega bomberman and bomberman 2 to complete my console bomberman collection :D
northandsouthbomber_zps89d50f32.jpg

Krelian

Don't we all. Dont we all... =/

Or German for that matter. Some of those RPGs released in Germany with only German text are dirt cheap on auction sites outside of Germany.
German is no problem for me, so maybe those auction sites outside of Germany are a good source for some more expensive games. Could you give me some examples maybe?

But yeah, I wish I could read Japanese.

-KRS-

German is no problem for me, so maybe those auction sites outside of Germany are a good source for some more expensive games. Could you give me some examples maybe?

But yeah, I wish I could read Japanese.

Like here's a German Secret of Mana cart on a Swedish auction site that ended at 40 SEK. That's around $6. http://www.tradera.com/secret-of-mana-till-super-nintendo-snes-auktion_301501_178864185

For comparison here's a Scandinavian release (SCN) with English text that ended at 460 SEK, or $72. http://www.tradera.com/secret-of-mana-scn-snes-auktion_301504_175053598

smbu2000

Have a question for everyone which would be the better game to get King of Dragons or Knights of the Round? King of Dragons looks longer and a lot like the D&D games so that is what I am leaning towards.
I prefer the King of Dragons. I've only played through a bit of Knights of the Round (on my psp), but I didn't think it was as good as King of Dragons.

Krelian

Like here's a German Secret of Mana cart on a Swedish auction site that ended at 40 SEK. That's around $6. http://www.tradera.com/secret-of-mana-till-super-nintendo-snes-auktion_301501_178864185

For comparison here's a Scandinavian release (SCN) with English text that ended at 460 SEK, or $72. http://www.tradera.com/secret-of-mana-scn-snes-auktion_301504_175053598
Damn, that is cheap! Will definitely check this out now. Thanks! Btw, Tysk means German in Swedish? That's interesting.

But the prices online are only going up, which many sellers will look to first when pricing their games for flea markets or pawn shops. Finding gems in the wild for cheap is fun, but I've accepted that eBay prices are just how it is now and must be budgeted for.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's what I'm going to have to accept as well. Sucks I'm starting now to build this.

Here's my ideal collection.

- Chrono Trigger
- Donkey Kong Country
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Earthbound (lol, yeah right - not happening anytime soon)
- Final Fantasy II
- Final Fantasy III
- Kirby Superstar
- LoZ: A Link to the Past
- Secret of Mana
- Starfox
- Super Mario All-Stars
- Super Mario Kart
- Super Mario RPG
- SMW2: Yoshi's Island
- Super Metroid

Prices on all of them are crazy high though. Starfox might be the cheapest option but the only one I bid on, I got sniped out of. Haven't tried looking for one since.

Are there any games you fine folks would recommend that could be had pretty cheap off eBay? Keep in mind I totally missed the SNES generation so those are the most well-known games I know of. I had a Genesis, which I still have. Wish I had an SNES too at the time. :-(

^^A good, cheap game I'd recommend is Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (seriously).
MMPR is a poor man's Ninja Warriors Again. Same developer (shadow-developed by Natsume for BanDai) and same engine. It's a satisfying beat-em up and you can't go wrong for $5-$10.

Another good cheap game is F-Zero.

Edit: Oh god, if you want a good laugh check out this cheap SNES game recommendation page. Looks like it hasn't been updated in quite a while.
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/cheapest-super-nintendo-snes-games

I got a MMPR game for Genesis. One of the 6 or 7 games I got. It's probably the same one, haha. Great game, though.

As for F-Zero, didn't even think of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I got a MMPR game for Genesis. One of the 6 or 7 games I got. It's probably the same one, haha. Great game, though.

As for F-Zero, didn't even think of that. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Power Rangers games on SNES and Genesis are actually completely different games. The SNES ones were done by Natsume and the Genesis ones were done by Banpresto.

Credo

^^A good, cheap game I'd recommend is Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (seriously).
MMPR is a poor man's Ninja Warriors Again. Same developer (shadow-developed by Natsume for BanDai) and same engine. It's a satisfying beat-em up and you can't go wrong for $5-$10.

I played MMPR to death back when I was a kid and was into the series. Recently when I was going through my collection, I saw the game and decided to try it again, thinking that I only had good memories because I'm a nostalgia junkie. Well, it turns out that the game is still good. It's not a 10 out of 10 masterpiece, but it's still a fun little game even now.

LostAnkh

Another good cheap game is F-Zero.

Edit: Oh god, if you want a good laugh check out this cheap SNES game recommendation page. Looks like it hasn't been updated in quite a while.
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/cheapest-super-nintendo-snes-games
Dude, that game was awesome. MMPR the Movie for Genesis, had some great sprites and was a fun beat 'em up in general. Plus I loved throwing enemies at the second player. XD

Dude, that game was awesome. MMPR the Movie for Genesis, had some great sprites and was a fun beat 'em up in general. Plus I loved throwing enemies at the second player. XD

I was actually talking about the first SNES game (non-Movie). It's quite different from the Genesis ones.

I did rent Genesis Power Rangers the Movie in my youth. I wonder if it stands up favorably today.

Zing

Banned
king of dragons is really freaking good with alternate routes and a couple different classes to choose from but its hard as balls knights of the round is a more straight forward brawler with solid combat and much easier imo then king of dragons
"Hard as balls"? Have you actually played it recently? Maybe you are thinking back to when you were a kid. The first time I played it, I set it to "expert" just to give it a quick try. Next thing I know, I am at the end of level 13 without using a single continue. I really wanted to like this game, but it's so mindlessly easy. The sound effects are rather poor as well.

It seems like one of those games that would be fun coop, but is otherwise bland. It feels like it goes on forever. The elf seems overpowered.

LostAnkh

I was actually talking about the first SNES game (non-Movie). It's quite different from the Genesis ones.

I did rent Genesis Power Rangers the Movie in my youth. I wonder if it stands up favorably today.
Whoops, totally misunderstood. That game is also good, music and gameplay wise. I just wished the Ranger sprites weren't the same! :O

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Oh man, the first Power Rangers game on SNES? I remember when I rented that... my parents weren't exactly thrilled, because you beat people up and they didn't want me to becoming the violent person that I am today. But yeah, game was surprisingly good. Or at least, I remember it being.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
are you kidding those dragon rider guys will ruin your whole day and the game is not very lenient with the continues game over is game over

Linkhero1

"Hard as balls"? Have you actually played it recently? Maybe you are thinking back to when you were a kid. The first time I played it, I set it to "expert" just to give it a quick try. Next thing I know, I am at the end of level 13 without using a single continue. I really wanted to like this game, but it's so mindlessly easy. The sound effects are rather poor as well.

It seems like one of those games that would be fun coop, but is otherwise bland. It feels like it goes on forever. The elf seems overpowered.

I haven't played it before but is it anything like the Dungeon and Dragon Arcade games? I have Knights of Round and that sort of feels like the D&D games.

Super Metroid is considered expensive? I mean, $30 might be a bit steeper than it should be, but that's still fairly affordable as far as I care.

Jhriad

telling ya get it now before it gets stupid

I've seen several auctions end under $20-25 in the past few weeks. Most of them even had nice labels. You're blowing things out of proportion and in doing so helping to foment what you don't want. There will be price creep on the title but that's only because it's a popular property during a general upswing in SNES cart prices. It's not going to explode into crazy town. Unless, of course, this thread keeps pushing the idea that Mega Man X is somehow hard to find at a reasonable price. Under $10? Sure, you're not going to get that on eBay but under $20 is still doable. Hell, here's a CIB copy that sold recently for $36. (of course pricecharting has it, and this, listed under 'Completed Auctions' and not 'Completed CIB' thus artificially driving up the price on lone carts but I digress)

With 160k views and more folks joining the discussion, this thread and threads like it have probably already had some influence on prices/supply of certain titles. I know we've already gotten Gaffers who wouldn't have been collecting back into the hobby and we're also seeing those individuals bidding against other Gaffers unknowingly. (Hi!) Just be patient and you'll get what you're looking for eventually.

Looking at this topic makes me feel really lucky that I can (somewhat) read Japanese. Not so good that I'd feel comfortable playing something like SMT, but playing Dragon Quest 5 isn't too bad so far. Main enemy is that of the evil forces of Kanji, who seek to destroy me with their low resolution strokes and thus difficulty in writing out to look up.

Because yeah I got Dragon Quest 5 in box with manual, FF6 with manual, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest 6, and not a single one of them was over $15. Hell DQ5 was $9!

-KRS-

Damn, that is cheap! Will definitely check this out now. Thanks! Btw, Tysk means German in Swedish? That's interesting.

Yes :D
BTW, that seller, game-world, is based out of Germany and has a lot of those German-language games up for sale all the time. And he accepts international buyers as well. If it says "TYSK TEXT I DETTA SPEL!" in the description, that means that the game only has German text. Here's a link to his store.

http://www.tradera.com/ShopItemListing.mvc/index?alias=game-world&catid=30&ftgnr=290716&sort=128

By the way, I was searching and found this. I've got a Retron right now to hold me over until my S Famicom gets here (dat 2 week shipping), but I noticed from the pictures that it had some yellowing on the bottom, and I came across this.
http://playingwithsuperpower.com/the-snes-cleaning-article/
Seems rather amazing, IMO. It's not a perfect job, but given what he started out with, works wonders. If sticking the S Famicom under my set doesn't hide it adequately, I might end up doing this.

Also, I MIGHT end up getting some just regular US SNES games, does anyone have a cheap adapter to plug those in to the SF? I know most adapters would be rigged to go the other way, but if I can have a nice, clean solution that'd be awesome. I'm not cutting this baby up when it gets here.

Jhriad

I know I harp on this a lot but I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in divvying up sections of Pricecharting prices and going through allotments of entries and reporting any inaccurate entries? Going through the NES entries myself now.

Krelian

Yes :D
BTW, that seller, game-world, is based out of Germany and has a lot of those German-language games up for sale all the time. And he accepts international buyers as well. If it says "TYSK TEXT I DETTA SPEL!" in the description, that means that the game only has German text. Here's a link to his store.

http://www.tradera.com/ShopItemListing.mvc/index?alias=game-world&catid=30&ftgnr=290716&sort=128
Thanks again! I just registered an account there. It said it will take up to three days for the activation email to be sent. Awfully long time :/

-KRS-

Huh really? I don't remember that, though I've had my account since 2005 or so so I might have forgotten. I guess it's so sellers don't create fake accounts right when their auction is about to close to bid on it or something. Dunno. :S

smbu2000

By the way, I was searching and found this. I've got a Retron right now to hold me over until my S Famicom gets here (dat 2 week shipping), but I noticed from the pictures that it had some yellowing on the bottom, and I came across this.
http://playingwithsuperpower.com/the-snes-cleaning-article/
Seems rather amazing, IMO. It's not a perfect job, but given what he started out with, works wonders. If sticking the S Famicom under my set doesn't hide it adequately, I might end up doing this.

Also, I MIGHT end up getting some just regular US SNES games, does anyone have a cheap adapter to plug those in to the SF? I know most adapters would be rigged to go the other way, but if I can have a nice, clean solution that'd be awesome. I'm not cutting this baby up when it gets here.
Do you mean playing SNES games on a SFC? I picked up a honeybee adapter to play SNES on my SFC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47466218&postcount=586

This is how it looks when using it with the SFC.

I'm not sure how much exactly they sell for as I picked up mine on for 2,000 yen on Yahoo Auctions JP along with that Super Off-Road game (and a few SFC games the seller threw in.) I do also have a SNES mini, though.

Fox Mulder

Are there any games you fine folks would recommend that could be had pretty cheap off eBay? Keep in mind I totally missed the SNES generation so those are the most well-known games I know of. I had a Genesis, which I still have. Wish I had an SNES too at the time. :-(

Xmen mutant apocalypse, gradius 3, pilot wings, simcity, and super punch out should be around or below the $10 price. The donkey kong country trilogy is around $15 each.

Parallacs

Quoting myself for a list of cheap yet excellent games:

To add to this excellent list:

Raiden Trad ($12)
Cybernator ($11)
Mario Paint ($1)
Kirby Avalanche ($8)
Ignition Factor ($8)
Earthworm Jim ($12)
Aladdin ($5)
Lost Vikings ($15)
Super Star Wars Series ($10 - $20)
Street Fighter 2 ($8 - $15)
F-Zero ($5)
Batman Returns ($8)
Killer Instinct ($10)
Mario is Missing ($3) - hey, it's a fun game if you are under 12

Here's my only pick-ups today from my thrift store run. I was super excited to see a SNES game I actually wanted at a decent price. I picked up Super Valis IV(click on the pic to check out the awesome label art on this game!) for $10 at my local store. It's not worth much more than that retail but I also got them to throw in Silent Hill 2 for free, so I was happy with that. Never played either of these games but I'm excited to try them out. The same store had 2 other games I wanted FF3 and Secret of Mana, but they wanted $80 for FF and $60 for SoM. Maybe once I get desperate enough I'll buy them if they're still there, but I'm still hoping to find them cheap.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Xmen mutant apocalypse, gradius 3, pilot wings, simcity, and super punch out should be around or below the $10 price. The donkey kong country trilogy is around $15 each.

To add to this excellent list:

Raiden Trad ($12)
Cybernator ($11)
Mario Paint ($1)
Kirby Avalanche ($8)
Ignition Factor ($8)
Earthworm Jim ($12)
Aladdin ($5)
Lost Vikings ($15)
Super Star Wars Series ($10 - $20)
Street Fighter 2 ($8 - $15)
F-Zero ($5)
Batman Returns ($8)
Killer Instinct ($10)
Mario is Missing ($3) - hey, it's a fun game if you are under 12

It's nice to be reminded that not everything has gotten overpriced.

IrishNinja

your copy looks great, shadow! enjoy man.

used my discover card's reward money for demon's crest (SFC) on amazon, won pocky & rocky and caved on ninja gaiden trilogy (also SFC)...that's it, SNES collection done, unless i come across a gem later after paying shit off. FF IV is the only JRPG im missing (friend lost my maxed-out copy...@#$%) but ill swing that another time, just glad to have the more expensive end of retro game collecting behind me for the moment.

ps bocodragon doesn't seem to be around, do we have a good upscaller thread? i wanna ask about the XRGB mini

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
your copy looks great, shadow! enjoy man.

used my discover card's reward money for demon's crest (SFC) on amazon, won pocky & rocky and caved on ninja gaiden trilogy (also SFC)...that's it, SNES collection done, unless i come across a gem later after paying shit off. FF IV is the only JRPG im missing (friend lost my maxed-out copy...@#$%) but ill swing that another time, just glad to have the more expensive end of retro game collecting behind me for the moment.

Wow that's amazing! Congrats. I've been collecting SNES for the better part of a decade, and I can't say I'm even close to done (and I do just mean the titles I want).

ps bocodragon doesn't seem to be around, do we have a good upscaller thread? i wanna ask about the XRGB mini
ive just been too busy to make the mega thread that it deserves :p school's been nuts.

I'm around if you wanna PM me though. Or just ask me here. :)

I do know most of the answers to what cables to buy, etc.

EDIT: Oh I see you DID PM me. Responding now.

IrishNinja

I PM'd you, bocos! just a few things to make sure it's a good buy for me, since i have most things on s-vid & havent looked up how to get SNES/genesis over component, though i imagine after an investment like that i might have to do so.

*edit ah you saw it, cool.

Top Bottom