• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I found a hobby store near me that stocks Nintendo games. He had SNES, N64 and game boy stuff. He said he was a "licensed Nintendo dealer" I don't know if that's true or just some bullshit, but he had some cool stuff. His prices were all over the place though. He had DKC3 which I've been looking for, but wanted $70(!) for it. I only ended up buying two games, but he said he gets new stock frequently so I'll probably check in every so often.

Ended up getting these two for $20. He also has a copy of Act Raiser 2 for $15 I might get. I saw a copy of Super Mario RPG for $70. It's in perfect shape, is that worth it?

Waaaaaaaaaay too much, you should be paying around 40-50 for a cartridge only copy, hopefully less than that.

Weird question: the year on the back of SNES game boxes, does it refer to the year the game was released or the year that individual cartridge was produced? For instance, a game like Chrono Trigger, if the copy you bought was produced in 1997 and the game originally released in 1995 which year would appear on the box? I know for NES games it was the date that particular copy was produced, was curious about SNES games.

I just tried out my new Super Gameboy and I think there's something wrong with it :( I tried putting in Pokemon Blue and there's no sound. The Super Gameboy start up sound plays when I turn it on, but there's no sound from the actual game.

Okay, what the fuck is going on here? I bought this game a year ago, mint, with manual and maps for $20 shipped. CIB versions were around $40. Who is dropping $40-50 on a beat to hell copy of a mediocre RPG?

Perfect representation of the current incredibly inflated SNES market. Likely the highest prices we will ever see for a good portion of the system's catalog. There couldn't be a worse time than now to get into SNES collecting. But feel free to pay $50 for Castlevania IV and other common titles. You're only driving up the value of my collection that I've owned since I was a kid.

Okay, what the fuck is going on here? I bought this game a year ago, mint, with manual and maps for $20 shipped. CIB versions were around $40. Who is dropping $40-50 on a beat to hell copy of a mediocre RPG?

Nobody, hopefully. You can pretty easily get them for $30 in auctions, and if you're too impatient for an auction there are a couple nice looking copies with $35 BIN prices right now.

I just tried out my new Super Gameboy and I think there's something wrong with it :( I tried putting in Pokemon Blue and there's no sound. The Super Gameboy start up sound plays when I turn it on, but there's no sound from the actual game.

Try cleaning the Pokemon game and perhaps the slot on the top where you put the GB games in.

Wereroku

The translation on Robotrek is what killed it. I think it's actually a pretty good game. Wish they had not tried to take the comedy out of it.

Try cleaning the Pokemon game and perhaps the slot on the top where you put the GB games in.

I took apart both the gameboy cart and the Super Gameboy and cleaned all 3 sets of pins. I think it's something more serious, but unfortunately I can't test which is the problem. I don't have a gameboy to test pokemon, or another gameboy game to test the Super Gameboy.

I took apart both the gameboy cart and the Super Gameboy and cleaned all 3 sets of pins. I think it's something more serious, but unfortunately I can't test which is the problem. I don't have a gameboy to test pokemon, or another gameboy game to test the Super Gameboy.

Hmmm...well where did you buy the Super Gameboy? You could just take it back, those things are pretty cheap to buy. I haven't had any problems with the ones I find, even the dirty ones I find at flea markets.

Hmmm...well where did you buy the Super Gameboy? You could just take it back, those things are pretty cheap to buy. I haven't had any problems with the ones I find, even the dirty ones I find at flea markets.

I bought it at a local privately owned thrift store. Unfortunately I think their policy is everything is sold "as is". SNES carts so rarely mess up though that I've never cared. Like you said it wasn't too expensive so I'm not that upset, but it still sucks. It could still be the Gameboy cart itself. I've been wanting to get an Advance SP for a while so maybe I'll buy one to test it.

-KRS-

The Super Game Boy uses the extra pins on the sides of the main pins for GB sound I believe. It could be that the pins are somehow broken, or the connector pins for them in the SNES are dirty. Do you have any other SNES games with such pins (like Starfox or Yoshi's Island) and do they work?

Celine

Thinking back I only really remember those racing games that were already mentioned (well, and Mario Kart, of course). The only other one I can think of is Full Throttle and that was crap.
Which is kinda strange, I remember playing a lot of racing games back then, maybe they were all on the C64.
try check:
Super Drift Out
Super F1 Circus
Stunt Race FX (if you can stomach the low framerate)
Street Racer

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah, Stunt Race FX, of course. I even own that, don't know why I forgot about that.
I will check out the first two, never heard of them.

I just bought a complete SNES for $25. I didn't realize how much game prices have risen over the last couple years. What are the chances that prices go down? It's not like they're making more of these games.

The Super Game Boy uses the extra pins on the sides of the main pins for GB sound I believe. It could be that the pins are somehow broken, or the connector pins for them in the SNES are dirty. Do you have any other SNES games with such pins (like Starfox or Yoshi's Island) and do they work?

I have Yoshi's Island and tried it. Sound works fine.

Celine

Ah, Stunt Race FX, of course. I even own that, don't know why I forgot about that.
I will check out the first two, never heard of them.
The two are top down mode 7 racing game (former is a rally game the latter a F1 game).
The rally game was part of Visco Drift Out series especially known for the arcade and Neo Geo games.
The F1 game was by Ninchibutsu and it's probably the best F1 game on Snes.

If you want a F1 game more similar to Sega Super Monaco GP there is Nigel Mansell's World Championship.

I just bought a complete SNES for $25. I didn't realize how much game prices have risen over the last couple years. What are the chances that prices go down? It's not like they're making more of these games.

Everyone has a different theory on when and how much, but as you said, there are only so many of them and as the years go by, more get destroyed/lost and become even more sought after.

Best advice I can give is just get the games you really really want and stick with those. It's too easy getting sucked into the "oh this looks cool, I'll have to get it" phase.

-KRS-

I have Yoshi's Island and tried it. Sound works fine.

With Yoshi's Island and other SuperFX games the pins are not used for sound, but to connect the processing chip inside the cartridge with the SNES. But if the game displayed graphics normally (especially on the Title Screen which I believe uses the SuperFX chip) then it's probably something wrong with the extra pins on the SGB unfortunately. I can't imagine that there would be anything wrong with the GB game if it boots up and all that. Sound would be transferred to the GB with the regular game code. It's just on the SNES that the SGB then transfers the processed sound through the extra pins to play back with the SNES sound chip.

With Yoshi's Island and other SuperFX games the pins are not used for sound, but to connect the processing chip inside the cartridge with the SNES. But if the game displayed graphics normally (especially on the Title Screen which I believe uses the SuperFX chip) then it's probably something wrong with the extra pins on the SGB unfortunately. I can't imagine that there would be anything wrong with the GB game if it boots up and all that. Sound would be transferred to the GB with the regular game code. It's just on the SNES that the SGB then transfers the processed sound through the extra pins to play back with the SNES sound chip.

Bummer, thanks for the help though. Maybe I'll open it up and see if I can see anything burnt out or something to confirm it.

Teknoman

Well snagged Skyblazer and Pilotwings today for 11 bucks total. Problem is (not that much of a problem since Skyblazer is a damn nice game anyway), the label has some gunky stuff on it in various spots. I could use Goo Gone, but i'm not sure if it'll fade the label or something.

Really need to learn how to clean SNES labels...but griping aside, its a really cool/challenging game, and one of the few games aside from SMT that i've seen Hindu (?) mythology as well as middle eastern style music combined with Japanese 16 bit style.

NA release art is kinda stupid/misleading :p

IrishNinja

Hero_of_the_Day - worked out Terranigma + Secret of Mana 2 for $50 total thanks to your nintendo-age link, thanks again man!

Super Game Boy always looked cool, but having the GBA player for GC it'd be redundant now, i think.

I think SGB is still the only way to unlock enhanced features in certain game carts that need the SNES hardware like Donkey Kong '94 for better audio and Space Invaders' extra mode.

FaintDeftone

I did a bit of retro game shopping today. I saw a store that carried a cart only copy of Super Mario Kart for $75. I about shat myself when I saw that.

Went to another second-hand game shop and they had a copy of Super Mario Kart, same condition, for $18. I wanted to go back to the other store and ask them wtf they were thinking when they priced that.

IrishNinja

I think SGB is still the only way to unlock enhanced features in certain game carts that need the SNES hardware like Donkey Kong '94 for better audio and Space Invaders' extra mode.

wasn't aware of this...that's pretty cool though, was trying Metal Gear Ghost Babel & a few others over said GBA GC thing, could definitely go for titles having better audio!

I did a bit of retro game shopping today. I saw a store that carried a cart only copy of Super Mario Kart for $75. I about shat myself when I saw that.

Went to another second-hand game shop and they had a copy of Super Mario Kart, same condition, for $18. I wanted to go back to the other store and ask them wtf they were thinking when they priced that.

About as bad when I go to the flea markets and people are charging like 30-40 bucks for a copy of freakin' Super Mario World. In this day and age, where people have smart phones and stuff, I don't know how they get away with it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Huh... I had no idea that the SGB had an effect on audio in certain games. That's kinda awesome. I remember Donkey Kong 94 being the poster child for the device, and that was always what I played on the thing, but I didn't really notice a difference in sound quality. Then again, I was like... 6.

Huh... I had no idea that the SGB had an effect on audio in certain games. That's kinda awesome. I remember Donkey Kong 94 being the poster child for the device, and that was always what I played on the thing, but I didn't really notice a difference in sound quality. Then again, I was like... 6.

Pauline's voice samples were much clearer on SGB.
Here is a list of SGB-enhanced games. A few of them have enhanced music or audio samples.

Does the GameBoy Player add the cool borders like Super Game Boy does? It's not that big of a deal but kinda cool.

Does the GameBoy Player add the cool borders like Super Game Boy does? It's not that big of a deal but kinda cool.

No, the GB Player does not support any SGB enhancements. You need a real SGB, or an emulator on your PC, for that; nothing else has them, not the GB Player, not the 3DS Virtual Console, not anything official. It's pretty annoying, some of the SGB enhancements are nice...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is there any solution to playing SNES games on my SFC that isn't this?
9ol1S0El.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Is there any solution to playing SNES games on my SFC that isn't this?
9ol1S0El.jpg

Yes, as posted earlier in the thread:

Do you mean playing SNES games on a SFC? I picked up a honeybee adapter to play SNES on my SFC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47466218&postcount=586

This is how it looks when using it with the SFC.

I'm not sure how much exactly they sell for as I picked up mine on for 2,000 yen on Yahoo Auctions JP along with that Super Off-Road game (and a few SFC games the seller threw in.) I do also have a SNES mini, though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Does that Honeybee have a particular model name? The only ones I seem to be able to find are the Magic Game Converters and they go for a mint.

I'd have no idea, I just quoted his post because I remembered it. :D

Edit: Also, that honeybee doesn't seem to have the extra tabs for the extra chip cartridges:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=86171

I wonder if it works with Starfox and the like, as I have no idea how's the cart connector for the Super Famicom.

Peagles

Some of my latest pickups here. I got Mother 2 a couple of weeks ago but the rest arrived today. Of course I knew the 8 in 1 was a pirate but I was kinda bummed to open up Contra and find it was a pirate too :( Ah well, I still own the real deal as a PAL copy. And it only cost me a few bucks along with the 8 in 1.

Celine

i love you, LiveFromKyoto

but we are not gonna have this conversation like M.U.S.H.A. aint exist
Or that PCEngine wasn't 16 bit :p

But now being serious my tips would have been:

Rendering Ranger R2 (if you have the cash)
Space Megaforce
Parodius games (the latter episode the better)
Cosmo Gang
Aero Fighters (again it should be costly)
Pop'n Twinbee
Super SWIV

Top Bottom