• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

ys45

did anyone else play King Arthur's World? why aren't there more games like that? especially in today's indie friendly environment

Yeah good game i remember playing that game a lot .
And hey it's cheap on eBay :p

Might get it , i had completely forgot about this game thanks by the way :)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Or that PCEngine wasn't 16 bit :p

But now being serious my tips would have been:

Aero Fighters (again it should be costly)
The SFC version of this is like 10% of the cost of the US release. Definitely worth importing.

sixteen: I haven't got a chance to trying Wrecking Crew '98 yet, but I'll let you know what I think when I do.

Stepped in to a mom 'n pop game store on my lunch break to see if they had anything in the way of SNES/Genesis Stuff. The selection was pretty awful, but I looked through their Wii selection for the hell of it before I left, and they had a complete copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy in great condition for $45. I'm glad I went there after all.

They did have Super Punch Out, but $30 is hilariously overpriced for that.

krae_man

Got a bunch of levels further in Cybernator. It helped when I remembered R blocks and L holds your gun position in place while you move.

I'm going to get through this game. This is going to be my "Can I still play retro games" test.

Teknoman

Has anyone purchased a reproduction cart from this site?
http://www.gamereproductions.com/index.php
And are there any problems with their carts?
Cause I want those reproductions of Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing.

My Mother 3 is still going strong, and a few others have snagged SNES stuff. They make quality stuff so you dont have to worry. Then again, there is another guy who is trying to shake things up by making good quality repros at lower prices.

inner-G

Banned
Snagged Pirates of Dark Water for $20 at a shop yesterday, popped it in... surprisingly good!

Gonna play it some more tonight. Did I miss something or is there no save? Got Streets of Rage 2 also, so gonna be set for beat-em-ups for a bit.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What does a copy of Robotrek go for these days? I picked one up for $5 earlier, and don't plan on keeping it.

I love Robotrek! It's saddled with an atrocious translation but I love all the customization aspects in the game - making new robots, combining items. It's definitely an unsung classic though it was overlooked even back then.

Sailor Moon (the beat-em-up, right?) and Gundam Wing Endless Duel aren't really text heavy. You could import complete-in-box legit SFC copies of both of them for less than a repro.
P.S. The sequel to Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R is a better buy because it supports 2P co-op.

Neither Sailor Moon SFC beat-em-up holds a candle to the Gazelle arcade game though. I always wish it had a port to Saturn or Playstation or something, but alas we got the shitty fighter instead.

Anyone interested in these? They are some duplicates I found so far (just moved, started unboxing some of my collection). Figured I'd post them up encase any of you would like them.

2DSVU7f.jpg

Some need to be cleaned, those white dots are on the outside of this plastic bag that's around those games, some are yellowed. I'd do cases for the games that don't have them but I couldn't find the covers for them.

Sailor Moon (the beat-em-up, right?) and Gundam Wing Endless Duel aren't really text heavy. You could import complete-in-box legit SFC copies of both of them for less than a repro.
P.S. The sequel to Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R is a better buy because it supports 2P co-op.

Neither Sailor Moon SFC beat-em-up holds a candle to the Gazelle arcade game though. I always wish it had a port to Saturn or Playstation or something, but alas we got the shitty fighter instead.
The Super Famicom version of Sailor Moon definitely has 2-player. The Mega Drive/Genesis version does not, if I remember correctly.

IrishNinja

ive got 2 genesis & 2 NES ones on the way from them, ill let you know how they are when they arrive

Anyone interested in these? They are some duplicates I found so far (just moved, started unboxing some of my collection). Figured I'd post them up encase any of you would like them.

Some need to be cleaned, those white dots are on the outside of this plastic bag that's around those games, some are yellowed. I'd do cases for the games that don't have them but I couldn't find the covers for them.

i can tell the obvious ones (SF etc) but what all am i looking at here? some labels look familiar but i dunno

My Mother 3 is still going strong, and a few others have snagged SNES stuff. They make quality stuff so you dont have to worry. Then again, there is another guy who is trying to shake things up by making good quality repros at lower prices.

Tekno where'd you find Mother 3? i cant find it anywhere on that site, still waiting on OCD repro to make more but ive seen no other options.

i
i can tell the obvious ones (SF etc) but what all am i looking at here? some labels look familiar but i dunno

Your guess is about as good as mine haha.

From what I can tell is:

F-1 Grand Prix Part II
International Tennis Tour
2 Dragon Ball Z games (anyone know what the actual title is?)

and the two black labeled games I'm not sure about. So if anyone has any idea post up!

DoubleTap

From what I can tell is:

F-1 Grand Prix Part II

and the two black labeled games I'm not sure about. So if anyone has any idea post up!

I'm definite those are Fatal Fury.

IrishNinja

the two black label ones with the red letters in the middle-right...i know ive seen those before, its killing me

edit oh really? ah nevermind

Zing

Banned
I just bought a complete SNES for $25. I didn't realize how much game prices have risen over the last couple years. What are the chances that prices go down? It's not like they're making more of these games.

My observation:
SNES games are affected by the current "bubble". People are only paying the relatively high prices because they are comforted that the games can be resold for the same or higher price in the future. Once prices make even a sight downturn due to a dip in demand, these people will get nervous and begin to sell their collection before it loses any value. This will force prices down further, bringing more games to market in desperate attempts to recover money spent on games bought for 4x the market value (before the bubble).

My observation:
SNES games are affected by the current "bubble". People are only paying the relatively high prices because they are comforted that the games can be resold for the same or higher price in the future. Once prices make even a sight downturn due to a dip in demand, these people will get nervous and begin to sell their collection before it loses any value. This will force prices down further, bringing more games to market in desperate attempts to recover money spent on games bought for 4x the market value (before the bubble).
Seems perfectly reasonable to me. But at what point will we have a clue the bubble is about to burst though? I mean, over the years, it seemed to me that prices tended to go up during winter months only to cool down a bit afterwards (anybody else noticed that as well? I must say this is purely anecdotal on my part and more of a "hunch" than anything else).

That being said, this past winter, prices seemed to go much higher than in years past, hence this bubble. Will there be a subtle drop or rather a dramatic downshift in retro value? Will the new PlayStation/XBox have an impact on the retro market? Really looking forward to see how it plays out. Personally, I don't mind either way: the bulk of my collection is already amassed. Then again , I would really like to be able to put my hands on Flintstones 2 or Snow Brothers without having to take a second mortgage, figuratively speaking.

smbu2000

I'd have no idea, I just quoted his post because I remembered it. :D

Edit: Also, that honeybee doesn't seem to have the extra tabs for the extra chip cartridges:

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=86171

I wonder if it works with Starfox and the like, as I have no idea how's the cart connector for the Super Famicom.
The poster in that thread got it backwards, it's to play US SNES games in a SFC.

I'm not sure if it can play games with special chips as I don't have any to try with it, I think. I may have picked up Starfox CIB awhile back but I don't remember. It's cheap anyway. I'm pretty sure that the Honeybee is a pass through device so you can play SFC with it as well. (For testing purposes as you wouldn't really need something to play SFC games on a SFC :p )

Later I also purchased a SNES mini so it's not really a problem for me personally if the games don't work on it.

From what I can tell is:

F-1 Grand Prix Part II

The DBZ game is Super Butouden 1, I believe.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Ninja Warriors Again, King of Dragons, and Knights of the Round showed up today. Just one more game en route. Time to get a rotation started.

IrishNinja

^that sucks...would the honeybee have the same problem, you think?

also: is anyone selling universal game cases? i only need 1 at the moment but would go in on 5-10 just to have extras, since i ran out. if not ill just grab one on ebay but they're like $4/each which is silly since 100 cost me like $60 as i recall.

Celine

Well decided to finally try DKC2 today and...

luckily there seems to be a code to bypass this... which just seems to have just glitched the game and froze it. D:
Is that a Super Famicom or a PAL Snes ?

For those that use NTSC to PAL converter be aware that some later games check frequency so they won't work (bar one converter that bypass that).

Celine

Don't we all. Dont we all... =/

Or German for that matter. Some of those RPGs released in Germany with only German text are dirt cheap on auction sites outside of Germany.
Yeah, it's why I hate Germany so much !
Seems most of the copies of RPGs released in PAL land are in german.

BTW a snes RPG with good quality/price ratio is Illusion of Gaia(Time).

I went back to that hobby store today, where I got Aero the Acrobat 1 and 2 for $20. I start looking through his SNES games and he has another copy of Aero the Acrobat 1 in the case now for $35 :/

I ended up buying the last two reasonably priced games he had left, I paid $15 each for these:

You dodged a bullet on Aero. That game is butt.

edit: misread that, I see you already bought it

Yeah, I haven't tried the second one but the first one so far is kind of...scattered. It's never really clear where to go. Still, I didn't have them and never see them, so I was willing to pay $10 just to have them.

IrishNinja

You dodged a bullet on Aero. That game is butt.

edit: misread that, I see you already bought it

man back when that game was on the cover of every EGM/gamepro etc, we'dve been been best friends for this post, haha

did i ever tell you i got the game free from sunsoft? if you read the old 2 page ad carefully, it offers a free game. i was so hyped till it came in...shit was barely worth the postage

man back when that game was on the cover of every EGM/gamepro etc, we'dve been been best friends for this post, haha

did i ever tell you i got the game free from sunsoft? if you read the old 2 page ad carefully, it offers a free game. i was so hyped till it came in...shit was barely worth the postage

I saw that all the time, and I never bothered to send off for it. Another one that I saw back in the day was the ad for Shadow Blasters and Insector X, if you read it carefully they were sending free Insector X soundtracks to 50 lucky people. Not really knowing what kind of music to expect I didn't bother. Strangely enough, I found the OST at a local flea market about a couple of years after those issues, so SOMEONE had to have done it in my area. It's not a bad soundtrack either!

The music for Aero is very catchy but darn was that an unforgiving game. Don't know if it is as frustrating as the original Bubsy, merely jumping up you're taking a huge gamble. Everything can kill you and the game doesn't believe in a health meter, only OHKO.

The sheer number of xtreme animals starring in games in the '90s is incredible.
It was that generation's modern military FPS.

Only difference is that I still love quite a few of the end results, while I'm kinda meh on CoD and BF and such. More of a Doom guy, y'know?

I went back to that hobby store today, where I got Aero the Acrobat 1 and 2 for $20. I start looking through his SNES games and he has another copy of Aero the Acrobat 1 in the case now for $35 :/

I ended up buying the last two reasonably priced games he had left, I paid $15 each for these:

Man Joe & Mac is awesome. Enjoy that. Makes me wish they'd hurry the fuck up and get done with the remake already.

inner-G

Banned
Mmmm finally came in. No more crappy Retron for me!

Dat yellowing. Might try to get that off with the trick that I found, but Iunno, since it's just the bottom it's not too bad.
That's going all-out!

You know you can just clip the plastic tabs on a SNES to play SFC games, right?

Top Bottom