• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

I don't think A Link to the Past's sword is clunky at all. The game is balanced around it pretty well; the large arc you get feels infinitely better than Zelda 1's stab, and spin attacks have an enormous hit radius. Could you explain how it feels clunky to you? The worst I can think is that some bosses are a little awkward to fight, especially with the sword. I wouldn't argue against slightly turning up Link's walk speed to improve the feel of the game (I mean barely), but it would probably throw the rest of the balance off.

Edit: Fixed a pretty big typo.
Actually, I kinda agreed when I first played the game. I was used to Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons, where your sword radius is a whole lot larger, and you had to manually hold your shield out. I've gotten used to it, though; it's not that bad, and I definitely agree it's better than the stab.

inner-G

Banned
The whole point of it is that I'm never playing any English SNES games, so why bother? Why not get the infinitely sexier S Famicom, and not worry about mutilating what is already an aborted sibling?

If I really want anything for the SNES there are emulators, which I've relied on in the past.
Meh, I still think its the best way to go.

SFC looks a bit cooler but frankly both are ugly. SNES with the tabs cut can basically play anything I throw at it.

Zing

Banned
Question: Someone knows if there is a complete list of NTSC-U games sorted by release date? i know there are a lot of list for NTSC-J chronological releases like Wikipedia or Super Famicom.org but i haven´t found something similar for North American releases.

Nintendo themselves released PDFs of every game for all of their systems up through N64, including release month. They didn't track the specific date. There likely wasn't a specific date for the majority of them.

I put all the data into a sortable spreadsheet. I'd have to dig up my post on NintendoAge to find the download links I made. Alternatively, you could download the PDFs yourself.

I found my thread.
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=57592

Parallacs

What are some good places in Los Angeles to find SNES games? Any good swapmeets, flea markets, or game shops?

I'm in orange county but there are a few Swap Meets up toward your area that are pretty good:

-Los Angeles City College Swap meet: $1 Saturday or Sunday (I got Metal Gear Solid complete for $1)
-Paramount Swap Meet: $2 - Go on a weekday morning, Wednesday is the biggest. (I got ~20 genesis games for $10)
-Cyprus Swap Meet - Free - Go on Saturday. A lot of the sellers from Paramount come here on the weekends. (This was my $5 Sunset Riders find)

Further South:
-Goldenwest College Swap: Saturdays and Sundays (I have to go to this one every week so please don't take my games)
-Orange Coast College: Sat/Sun - High quantity of resellers. (I did get Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for a buck here)

Steer Clear of Pasadena Swap Meet, Long Beach Swap Meet, Santa Fe Springs, OC Fairgrounds Swap Meet. None of these have games (or they just have games resellers). Stay away from anything with a videogames sign. Look in dollar boxes.

Today's mailbag:
mms_img-170070089754lx0.jpg
Ninja Warriors + Mega Man 6 - $70 shipped
Chrono Trigger - $64 shipped
Midnight Purple 3DS - $85 shipped

Today's mailbag:Ninja Warriors + Mega Man 6 - $70 shipped
Great pickups!

Just got back a copy of Ninja Warriors because of the praise I saw it received in this very thread and... wow! that's a fun beat 'em up. I wanted to test it for a few minutes and ended up playing till the endboss (I gave up then however as I got spanked the five or so times I tried :-/).

Got these two recently:

Yoshi's Safari should be the next Super Scope game I get.

Anyway, I might try to get Super Puyo Puyo and/or Super Puyo Puyo Tsu/Tsu Remix soon. I keep seeing some really cheap auctions for complete copies of the first one. I can't decide whether to get the Super Famicom or Saturn version of Puyo Puyo Tsu, though.

SMD

Call me superficial or whatever but production values really matter to me. This means I simply don't enjoy most Youtube channels.
I watch Game Sack a lot though. The good thing about Game Sack is while they're obviously collectors, they don't continually post insipid pickups videos. Instead they'll have themed episodes and discuss games based on the theme. Also, they put real effort into their production.

I enjoy Game Sack a lot, I don't care so much about production values but the fact they're enthusiastic (even if it's not about the game) and engaging make it enjoyable for me. They're just two normal guys playing old games and tend to stick to them. It's funny how they can bring up games I've either forgotten about or didn't realise was just as popular in the US.

Anyway, I might try to get Super Puyo Puyo and/or Super Puyo Puyo Tsu/Tsu Remix soon. I keep seeing some really cheap auctions for complete copies of the first one. I can't decide whether to get the Super Famicom or Saturn version of Puyo Puyo Tsu, though.

I don't know if you have a Mega Drive, but I prefer the MD version of Puyo Puyo 2/Tsu to the SFC version. I hate the look of the fat sprites since they weren't redrawn to compensate for the SFC's lower resolution compared to the Arcade and MD originals. There's an longish comparison video here. Dunno how the Saturn version fares, but it does appear to have the same resolution as the Arcade and MD one.

I also have Puyo Puyo Sun (3) on Saturn, and that's another cheap game to look out for.

I don't know if you have a Mega Drive, but I prefer the MD version of Puyo Puyo 2/Tsu to the SFC version. I hate the look of the fat sprites since they weren't redrawn to compensate for the SFC's lower resolution compared to the Arcade and MD originals. There's an longish comparison video here. Dunno how the Saturn version fares, but it does appear to have the same resolution as the Arcade and MD one.

I also have Puyo Puyo Sun (3) on Saturn, and that's another cheap game to look out for.

I have a Genesis, but not a Mega Drive...but I have played both of those versions and the arcade version before.

I too like the Mega Drive version more than the Super Famicom one, but I like how the Super Famicom added pre-battle cutscenes like the first game had. It also has a 4-player mode. It's also easier to play on a US console (just gotta remove some plastic tabs in the cartridge slot), and seems to often be a bit cheaper. I've heard some say that the Saturn version is the best one, but I haven't played that version. It doesn't have 4-player, though, as far as I know.

The graphics in the Super Famicom version don't bother me, but I prefer the Mega Drive music a bit. It's closer to the arcade release. Both are fine, though. The Mega Drive does have pretty terrible voice samples, while I think they were fine on the Super Famicom.

Anyway, I'm gonna get Puyo Puyo 3/Sun on the Saturn, too. I was thinking about getting Super Puyo Puyo along with the Saturn version of 2/Tsu and Sun from some eBay seller that's selling them real cheap. I figured I could get them all and combine shipping to get them all at once without paying extra. I think the auctions end tomorrow. The part that sucks, though, is that it looks like it'd take a long time to get here...anywhere between early to late next month. :/

We'll see what happens...

I might end up getting Tsu on the Saturn, and then Tsu Remix for the Super Famicom at some point. That 4-player mode sounds too good.

PdyaoO1.jpg

I might look into getting the Nazo Puyo games, too...but those sort of require some Japanese reading skills to know what your objective is, which I completely lack.

P.S. I have a Puyo Puyo avatar, if you didn't notice. Haha. I really love the series, but the only games in it I actually own are Puyo Pop Fever for the DS and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine on the Genesis and Game Gear. I think I've played just about all of them at some point, though...except for 20th Anniversary and those Saturn/PlayStation RPG/dungeon games. I'm looking to finally buy pretty much all of them at some point, starting from the beginning and going up.

EDIT: That video you posted keeps having loading issues, for some reason. Damn you, YouTube!

Been lurking this thread for awhile, but I finally pulled out my SNES games from my boxes. I began [re]collecting back in '06, started with the rule of never paying for $25... boy do I wish I didn't restrict myself. Once the Wii came out I convinced myself that the market would be dead for retro games and stopped collecting. Thanks to this thread, I have decided to start building upon my (small) collection.

Been lurking this thread for awhile, but I finally pulled out my SNES games from my boxes. I began [re]collecting back in '06, started with the rule of never paying for $25... boy do I wish I didn't restrict myself. Once the Wii came out I convinced myself that the market would be dead for retro games and stopped collecting. Thanks to this thread, I have decided to start building upon my (small) collection.

Awesome selection of games there man. Zombies Ate My neighbours and Castlevania 4 are two ive been wanting to add to my collection as well. You've got a pretty solid starting point no doubt. What's the black cart under Zombies? Killer instinct?

Vanilla Puyo Tsu on Mega Drive is better than the SFC version, but the "Remix" version of SFC is one of the best Puyo versions EVER: Super Hard mode and 4-player mode is awesome.

-KRS-

So guys, I dunno if this has been asked before (it probably has), but instead of only talking about good games: what is the worst SNES game in your collection? :D

I think for me it's probably that Terminator 2 game. The one that AVGN featured in a video of his once. I got it from my uncle when I was little. I could never get past the motorcycle-driving part between levels, so I only ever finished the first level I think.

Vanilla Puyo Tsu on Mega Drive is better than the SFC version, but the "Remix" version of SFC is one of the best Puyo versions EVER: Super Hard mode and 4-player mode is awesome.

That's the kind of thing I wanted to hear/read! Definitely gonna try and get Remix soon, then. From what I've seen, it definitely seems to be packed with tons of extras over the Mega Drive version...and it goes for some pretty good prices! I'll see if I can order a copy in the next few days. :)

So guys, I dunno if this has been asked before (it probably has), but instead of only talking about good games: what is the worst SNES game in your collection? :D

Either Beethoven or Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball. They're both funny bad, though, so they're still fun in their own weird way.

...wait, I just remembered some of those loose SNES games a friend gave me. I always forget I have those. Wheel of Fortune is pretty bad...though, kinda funny in a way.

Quackula

I think for me it's probably that Terminator 2 game. The one that AVGN featured in a video of his once. I got it from my uncle when I was little. I could never get past the motorcycle-driving part between levels, so I only ever finished the first level I think.

For me, it's either Dragon's Lair or Pink Goes to Hollywood. Both are pretty abysmal.

Captain America and the Avengers. What a fucking piece of shit conversion.
At least the Genesis version has a kickass soundtrack conversion to go with it, compared to this piece of shit. (Arcade beats both of them, of course, but not like that's uncommon.)

Either Race Drivin' (fully polygonal graphics at a full 3 frames per second! WOW!) or one of them sports games I got because I bought a bundle of SNES games from a thrift store this one time to get at Super Empire Strikes Back (sports games really aren't my scene).

-KRS-

oh shit Race Drivin'! I got that at the same time as I got T2. Two shitty games in one day haha.

At least I also got Street Fighter II that day.

Parallacs

D-Force. The game feels worse than a primitive flash game. It looks quite ugly as well.

Awesome selection of games there man. Zombies Ate My neighbours and Castlevania 4 are two ive been wanting to add to my collection as well. You've got a pretty solid starting point no doubt. What's the black cart under Zombies? Killer instinct?

Thanks, and that is indeed Killer Instinct. I'm pretty sure my castlevania is messed (when you shake it you can hear something loose inside), my friend found it at the front of his yard under trash someone left on the curb and gave it to me.. Unfortunately it doesn't keep saves, granted it's a very short game and can be beaten in one sitting but the convenience to start and stop would be nice.

Beavis and Butt-head is the worst one in mine, but even then it's still a fun co-op game.

Peagles

Mine is Justice League Task Force. I bought it to see how bad it was though, lol.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
My bad on that whole clunky swordplay issue in aLttP. It's actually relatively nuanced. Any clunkiness is my old man fingers and thumbs and possibly HDTV lag.

Where is my Retron 5 already?

The worst game I have is probably Mortal Kombat. It's just a bad port.

edit: Shit. Forgot I have an absolutely horrible hockey game in my collection. That's probably the real answer. Can't even remember it's name.

Great price: I paid mine $165! From my experience, that particular game is damn near impossible to find with a good label.

Sweet!

Well the label does have flaws though, mainly on the edge in between the top of the label and the side part of the label.

and it's not tested, so he can't guarantee it will work, but will let me ship it back if it doesn't.

Still though, I'm pumped!

Now to find Harvest Moon, R-Type III(Ughhhh) and Breath of Fire II.

Sweet!

Well the label does have flaws though, mainly on the edge in between the top of the label and the side part of the label.

and it's not tested, so he can't guarantee it will work, but will let me ship it back if it doesn't.

Good show, I hope it works for you!

Sweet!

I'm jelly. Mega Man X is one of my favourite games and I've been looking hard for a good price on the sequels.

IrishNinja

okay, here's my SNES collection - many recent additions (R-Type 3, Hagane, MMX3, Dracula X, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Demon's Crest etc) i saved some $$ and went with the Super Famicom versions!

only a few pieces missing, but most of the bigger titles i'd wanted are there, so i'm happy with it.

Phatcorns

Better to hold on to my complete copy of Chrono Trigger (even the posters) or sell it now while business is booming? I might just keep it too, it's such a great memory.

IrishNinja

ah, it just came like that in the post! was a gift from fellow gaffer McBradders, he's awesome for that. it's in decent shape, honest!

IrishNinja

What do you recommend I should do to mod these cases?

well...i havent actually done it yet myself (im using the NES cabinet in the lower left corner at the moment) but it looks like it'd take some time with an exacto...i saw an interesting youtube video that used a dremel (sp?) tool that cut right through them, was debating grabbing one of those on the cheap & going to town on them

Anyone happen to have a UGC size insert for Brainlord sadly the cover project does not have one?

ill look around but have you simply googled it? i find some on google images from other forums too

Gameboy415

Man I cant find a high quality scan of the SFC Super Adventure Island boxart anywhere...

517a9Ebw2gL._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Actually i'd probably be good to make a request with just a larger version of that art.

If I can get my scanner working with my new PC, I'll scan my copy for ya.
I should have time to tinker with it this weekend.

Sorry it took so long but I finally got around to scanning the SFC Super Adventure Island box art for ya!

I scanned both the front & back at 600 DPI, which you can download from these photobucket links:

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/Gameboy415/media/Scans/001_zps52c19f8a.jpg.html

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/Gameboy415/media/Scans/002_zpsd54ae289.jpg.html

Click on "Options" and choose "download" for the full-rez versions.

krae_man

Just beat Cybernator. Man that game was fun. I didn't realize it got a remake on PS2. 2004 me would have been all over that if it had came out here.

Top Bottom