• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

LostAnkh

fqzsoCgl.jpg

My collection so far.

Every time I see this thread on the first page, my heart drops a bit as I remember that my copy of Earthbound somehow disappeared when my mother moved. Thanks alot, guys! :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
So when I was (unsuccessfully) going through boxes at home to find a few cartridges that seem to have disappeared, I found my Harvest Moon box. Still has the inserts, but it's a bit smooshed/creased. Would any of you be intersted in it?

LostAnkh

^youve covered a lot've bases with only 5 titles so far...make the next one Super Metroid, or Zombies ate my Neighbors!
Thanks, but I plan on getting some smaller titles before getting more essentials. I'm thinking of the MMPR game, X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, F-Zero, and Street Fighter II.

Thanks, but I plan on getting some smaller titles before getting more essentials. I'm thinking of the MMPR game, X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, F-Zero, and Street Fighter II.

That sounds like a solid list. Hell, you can get sealed copies of F-Zero online for around $18 or so these days.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just finally completed Actraiser for the first time ever last week. I was always intimated by that final boss rush, so I never really had it in me to give it a serious try - untill now. It was actually much easier than I imagined, and when I finally got throught it all, I only lost one life total on all of them. Anyways, an amazing game that everybody in here should both pick up and play!

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Just finally completed Actraiser for the first time ever last week. I was always intimated by that final boss rush, so I never really had it in me to give it a serious try - untill now. It was actually much easier than I imagined, and when I finally got throught it all, I only lost one life total on all of them. Anyways, an amazing game that everybody in here should both pick up and play!

Actraiser is fucking exquisite in every way. An underrated gem.

Jhriad

So when I was (unsuccessfully) going through boxes at home to find a few cartridges that seem to have disappeared, I found my Harvest Moon box. Still has the inserts, but it's a bit smooshed/creased. Would any of you be intersted in it?

Can you post pictures? It really depends on how smooshed it is.

Morfeo

Actraiser is fucking exquisite in every way. An underrated gem.

Yeah, without a doubt!

I also tried to play some Jurrassic Park a few days ago, but couldnt really get anywhere in it. I find the Zelda-esque map, focus on adventuring and creepy first-person sections all attractive in theory, but there was just something that still didnt click with me? Does anybody have an opinion on this game? Should i give it more time to see if it is as good as it feels like it could be, or should i just scrap it and return to the Genesis-version?

Is it just me or is Super Mario RPG kinda boring? To be fair I haven't played too many turn based JRPG's and it's my first time playing SMRPG but this one seems to have lost its charm. I'm at level 16 with most of my characters and have a about two stars left to collect. The gameplay so far has been pretty repetitive as I go to a new town load up on the new items at the store and head off to the next linear path to progress the story. I smile at some of the humor and it's neat to see a story driven Mario game. I was just expecting something a little more entertaining for all the hype it gets. Am I missing something here or am I not alone?

Morfeo

Is it just me or is Super Mario RPG kinda boring? To be fair I haven't played too many turn based JRPG's and it's my first time playing SMRPG but this one seems to have lost its charm. I'm at level 16 with most of my characters and have a about two stars left to collect. The gameplay so far has been pretty repetitive as I go to a new town load up on the new items at the store and head off to the next linear path to progress the story. I smile at some of the humor and it's neat to see a story driven Mario game. I was just expecting something a little more entertaining for all the hype it gets. Am I missing something here or am I not alone?

I agree that it might be a bit boring. The story, graphics, universe, music and a lot of other stuff are really well done, but the combat is a bit dull because most fights are too easy. This is a general problem in jrpgs, but even moreso in SMRPG imo. Its still worth playing through in my opinion, but its not one of the ten best games of the snes or really anything close to that.

It's a game that deserved it's hype years ago but unfortunately hasn't age so well.

I still enjoy it, just find it harder for me to play than back when it came out.

I agree that it might be a bit boring. The story, graphics, universe, music and a lot of other stuff are really well done, but the combat is a bit dull because most fights are too easy. This is a general problem in jrpgs, but even moreso in SMRPG imo. Its still worth playing through in my opinion, but its not one of the ten best games of the snes or really anything close to that.

It's a game that deserved it's hype years ago but unfortunately hasn't age so well.

I still enjoy it, just find it harder for me to play than back when it came out.

Okay good to know, I was hoping I wasn't playing the game right but it seems this gem hasn't quite stood the test of time. I can see why it was given such high praise in its day though.

Ah, finally got back to where I was in Earthbound for the save battery crapped out. I'm really glad I learned how to replace save batteries, it's gone a long way in making my SNES/NES/GB RPGs playable again.

I just reached Threed, myself.

I do have some games that have dead batteries, though. Mostly GBC ones (Wario Land 2, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe). I haven't soldered since high school, so I'm hesitant to do anything to it - especially if I botch it up in such a way that the battery could never be replaced again.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Can you post pictures? It really depends on how smooshed it is.
Sure, here you go. It's pretty smooshed, and the edges are rough, but it has that R@RE LQQK registration card inside, haha!

So I got one of the last things I was waiting on shipping from Japan today...

77Vkjd4.jpg

It was shipped in a 6" cube box filled with packing peanuts. The game itself was in a Ziploc bag, wrapped in some protective paper and about 30' of cling wrap. Suffice it to say, it safely made it across the ocean.

ZTIq2F3.jpg

IrishNinja

welp

i paid a tad more than i meant to for a PAL pocky & rocky which apparently doesnt work on my US SNES (that's what i get for assuming just cause SFC ones work it will too), should i invest in an action replay pro or just send it back?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Wow congrats man! How much was it, if you dont mind me asking?
I got it for $99 shipped. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I had the money now and YOLO or whatever right?

Now the trick will be getting Undercover Cops for under $100...

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
welp

i paid a tad more than i meant to for a PAL pocky & rocky which apparently doesnt work on my US SNES (that's what i get for assuming just cause SFC ones work it will too), should i invest in an action replay pro or just send it back?

how much did ya pay could get a US copy for around $30

IrishNinja

how much did ya pay could get a US copy for around $30

definitely more than that; i bid from my phone and thought i was putting $ instead of pounds, heh...wait action replay for $30 or pocky & rocky 1 for that amount? cause if so, link me! id return this one if i could find it for that much

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
fuuuuuuuck it was going for $35 about a month ago shit i should of bought it at that store in vegas they had one going for $35 and i was like ehhh thats a tad high for loose cart of it

IrishNinja

as good a reason as any...i just wanna have a working cart of it.

so yeah, PAL one isn't loading for me, should i seek out an action replay plus (and if so, how much can they be had for?), or just send it back?

Morfeo

Hei, I want that Pocky and Rocky as well, can you really get it for $30? I guess I need to start watching american auction sites more.

Torgo

My latest acquisitions
Macross Scrambled Valkyrie - Pretty fantastic horizontal SHMUP
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball '96 - Cutesy Baseball, known as the Power Pros series in the US

SFAm%20Games-resized.jpg

Fularu

Banned
I wonder how many "rare" SNES games I have...

I mean I have stuff like Skyblazer, Demon's Crest, Castelvania IV or Super Metroid complete (box/cart/manual) but boxes are folded in a box and the manuals are all together in an another one..

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I wonder how many "rare" SNES games I have...

I mean I have stuff like Skyblazer, Demon's Crest, Castelvania IV or Super Metroid complete (box/cart/manual) but boxes are folded in a box and the manuals are all together in an another one..

demons crest is on the uncommon side rest are common but still worth some high coin

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got a few new Super Famicom games in the last two days. Nothing major, but for both Super Soccer (jp. Super Formation Soccer) and Soccer Shootout (jp. Excite Stage) I never knew that there were Japan exclusive sequels.
Oh, and I hadn't played Top Gear for quite a while, is there really no way to set the game to automatic transmission?

Edit: Found it in a submenu.

Didn't someone in this thread mention using metal cleaner or some such shit on their carts? Don't want to search through 48 pages to find it, but I got a couple games that could use a heavy duty cleaning. Got them functional with my usual qtips and alcohol, but it takes a couple tries so I'd like to get them more reliable if there's any way to really get that corrosion off the tips.

Xeno_V

I 've been debating for quite some time whether it's worth buying a complete copy (PAL or NTSC) of Soul Blazer. I already have Illusion of Time (Gaia) and Terranigma. The prices in the US are ridiculously high and the best thing I 've seen is a German PAL copy for €60 which will probably be only in German. Is this my best bet or are there any alternatives? I am definitely not paying $100 or even more, as this is the current price in the US apparently (PAL gamer here).

Morfeo

I 've been debating for quite some time whether it's worth buying a complete copy (PAL or NTSC) of Soul Blazer. I already have Illusion of Time (Gaia) and Terranigma. The prices in the US are ridiculously high and the best thing I 've seen is a German PAL copy for €60 which will probably be only in German. Is this my best bet or are there any alternatives? I am definitely not paying $100 or even more, as this is the current price in the US apparently (PAL gamer here).

I got my NTSC copy of Soul Blazer last year for maybe $40 off ebay. Have the prices really increased that much?

Parallacs

Didn't someone in this thread mention using metal cleaner or some such shit on their carts? Don't want to search through 48 pages to find it, but I got a couple games that could use a heavy duty cleaning. Got them functional with my usual qtips and alcohol, but it takes a couple tries so I'd like to get them more reliable if there's any way to really get that corrosion off the tips.

http://www.nintendorepairshop.com/products/282-Nintendo-Game-Cleaning-Paste/

Works great for really grimed contacts.

I ran out and use isopropyl nowdays. It works, despite what some people argue.

inner-G

Banned
I use isopropyl on the contacts and the cart itself.

If its super bad or has writing on it I'll use turpentine and a q-tip (exterior only).

On the topic of cleaning, anyone have any suggestions on removing permanent marker writing from the carts? I have a cart or two where someone took a heavy duty marker to write their name in...

Parallacs

On the topic of cleaning, anyone have any suggestions on removing permanent marker writing from the carts? I have a cart or two where someone took a heavy duty marker to write their name in...

It's permanent.

Lol I used to think the same thing, until someone in this thread mentioned Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. You can get a box of six of them for like $8. They look like foam sponges but what they do is gently wear down a surface. They can get sharpie and other permanent marker off of a cart body without it looking different. It might feel just a little smoother though.

Mzo

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is seriously magic for permanent marker. Fuck you, Steve Butler, it's my game now.

Spend a couple of dollars on a security bit to open carts and really clean out those contacts.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Lol I used to think the same thing, until someone in this thread mentioned Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. You can get a box of six of them for like $8. They look like foam sponges but what they do is gently wear down a surface. They can get sharpie and other permanent marker off of a cart body without it looking different. It might feel just a little smoother though.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is seriously magic for permanent marker. Fuck you, Steve Butler, it's my game now.

Spend a couple of dollars on a security bit to open carts and really clean out those contacts.

I just wanted to provide a snarky answer. Those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser things are seriously the truth. I think it must literally be magic.

inner-G

Banned
Turpentine usually does it, buy stay away from the label.

You can get a small container at an art store, it should be with the oil paint solvents and varnishes.

Someone posted this stuff way back:

Q1in7UW.jpg

I've since tried it, and it works pretty well for getting marker and sticker residue off. Can get it from walmart, and just dip a qitp in it, let it sit for a minute then dry it off. Like Inner-G said, just be sure not to get any on the label.

Top Bottom