• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Mzo

Captain America and the Avengers. What a fucking piece of shit conversion.
It really was a fucking crime. I got that game for a birthday and actually convinced my parents to drive me to the store and return it before my birthday party that afternoon.

My friends showed up all like "Hey, where is Captain America and the Avengers?"

I saved them. I'm a goddamned hero because that game was so fucking bad.

IrishNinja

^ you're a good man.

you know how bad Cap & Avengers was? i passed on the Genesis Punisher game for fear of the same, only to find out recently that, yeah, that's the kind've port i'd wanted from Cap as well. shit scared me off of quality games for a bit.

Just beat Cybernator. Man that game was fun. I didn't realize it got a remake on PS2. 2004 me would have been all over that if it had came out here.

The Valken port on PS2 is minced ass. I'm not a fan of the Vaseline look they got going on the sprites and they working designs'd the difficulty (i.e. needlessly made it harder by making giving the enemies more HP and have them do more damage). The most egregious change though is that you can no longer backpedal while shooting forward.

IrishNinja

is the text in the Firemen by any chance english, or was that a fan patch? keep seeing it listed on repro sites, but the SFC copy is sub $30 anyway

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
It really was a fucking crime. I got that game for a birthday and actually convinced my parents to drive me to the store and return it before my birthday party that afternoon.

My friends showed up all like "Hey, where is Captain America and the Avengers?"

I saved them. I'm a goddamned hero because that game was so fucking bad.

You are a hero indeed. Good job!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone have any European Power Supply recommendations for a US NTSC SNES? I have the SFC covered but I need an adapter for a US SNES that is compatible with 230v power.

I can use a stepdown transformer but I'm trying to move as many systems away from that as possible.

-KRS-

I don't know how the SNES works, but can't you just use your European power adapter on the US unit? That's what I do with my US NES and it works fine. I just use my scandinavian power chord on it. Or maybe the US SNES wants a different voltage than the PAL one or something? I'm not talking about 120 V vs 230 V, but the what the power adapter outputs to the SNES.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't know how the SNES works, but can't you just use your European power adapter on the US unit? That's what I do with my US NES and it works fine. I just use my scandinavian power chord on it. Or maybe the US SNES wants a different voltage than the PAL one or something? I'm not talking about 120 V vs 230 V, but the what the power adapter outputs to the SNES.
It's different from the SFC and PAL SNES, I believe. The US SNES uses its own power lead.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
It's different from the SFC and PAL SNES, I believe. The US SNES uses its own power lead.

Yeah it has a fat connector. I picked up a bespoke one to work with UK power from somewhere years ago, sorry I can't be any more helpful. Pretty sure I got it from eBay.

Put a little bookcase together this weekend and put some of my collection it it. Figured I'd snap a picture for here. (terrible picture quality, but I wanted to show it off a little bit haha)

a755d495-24b3-4aca-90c8-14eb8df97f4c.jpg

Uh... was SWAT Kats a really well-known gem or something? A girl on this chatroom I go to randomly asked "hey, who liked the SNES Swat Kats game?", which eventually led to me saying "y'know, licensed games are probably pretty cheap...".

$65 for a cartridge-only copy is the cheapest I could find (there's a $35 auction going on, but it's got 8 days to go). One CIB is asking $300! This is, like, Snatcher-expensive. Is this game Snatcher-good?

Completed listings are a little more reasonable, I suppose; those are closer to $35-40. But shit, some random licensed game getting this expensive is probably the biggest example of a bubble I've seen yet.

emb

Just got Demon's Crest loose for $50. Never thought I would see the day ;___;

Man, I remember looking this up years ago so many times, and scoffing at the 35-50 prices. How foolish I was. Makes me want to go buy all the SNES games I want right now.

krae_man

Is there a pattern to the Mos Eisley Bar Boss in Super Star Wars? I've been playing this game for almost 20 years and I swear I can only beat him by dodging his arm head attack enough by chance(often coupled by getting a generous amount of health swords throughout the level).

Lately I've been on a "Let me see if I can still beat these games I beat as a kid" kick. I finished Cybernator the other day. Today I decided to try Super Star Wars on Brave mode and didn't die once. But oh man did I come close on that level 8 boss. I want to do a Jedi mode run next but man that boss is probably going to destroy me. If I don't do it on my first try, I'm stuck with the heat seaker weapon instead of the plasma gun which is just going to make it way harder.

If only he had a pattern.

Reclaimer

I just purchased a Sony Pvm monitor(hasn't arrived) to play retro consoles on. What cables do I need to connect the Snes to it via RGB? Is this the only thing I need?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...ideo_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ec760a194

While many people swear by the retro_Console_Accessories seller on eBay, I had a less than stellar experience with them. My ordered SNES RGB cable didnt work, shipped with bent pins, and little to no communication from them. I eventually splurged for an official Nintendo cable and haven't looked back, they are excellent quality.

But many others have had great luck, and if you get an RGB cable that works from them, it's a great deal. They are usually around 20-30, compared to the 80-100 for an official one. (Still worth the cost, IMO)

bodine1231

While many people swear by the retro_Console_Accessories seller on eBay, I had a less than stellar experience with them. My ordered SNES RGB cable didnt work, shipped with bent pins, and little to no communication from them. I eventually splurged for an official Nintendo cable and haven't looked back, they are excellent quality.

But many others have had great luck, and if you get an RGB cable that works from them, it's a great deal. They are usually around 20-30, compared to the 80-100 for an official one. (Still worth the cost, IMO)

Ok but is that the only cable I need? I'm looking at it but I don't see how it connects to the monitor.

bodine1231

You're gonna need a scart to BNC breakout cable. A lot of people end up just making them themselves.

Shit,this becoming more of a hassle then I originally intended. I just wanted the best CRT picture quality for the old consoles,why can't this shit be plug and play like the old days?

Quackula

Shit,this becoming more of a hassle then I originally intended. I just wanted the best CRT picture quality for the old consoles,why can't this shit be plug and play like the old days?

Honestly, it's not that bad. You only need the breakout cable once. I've got a kinda janky homemade one lying around here somewhere that I don't have much need for anymore.

good think you're not a super scope fan

...what? If he's using a CRT, the Super Scope will work fine.

IrishNinja

ah, totally missed the CRT bit...nevermind, quackula's right!

i'm the one with an incoming XRGB and no way to play Hogan's Alley...

bodine1231

Honestly, it's not that bad. You only need the breakout cable once. I've got a kinda janky homemade one lying around here somewhere that I don't have much need for anymore.

...what? If he's using a CRT, the Super Scope will work fine.

I may take you up on that. Would I be better off using the Wii with component cables and VC/Emulation for the Sony Pvm? I kinda wanted to play on the original console but seeing as I don't even have a Snes yet the costs for this keep going up. Plus,while doing research for all this I saw that you can buy an adapter that lets you play with the original controllers on the Wii.

Reclaimer

If you are looking to go low cost, the Wii is good option, especially if you already have one. Lots of games, quick downloads, excellent emulation, pretty good image quality. Plus, easy to dabble in other retro consoles at any time without having to get a half dozen consoles hooked up with games for each. Break from Zelda LttP to play a level or two of Sonic and Knuckles? Awesome.

Wii does have some great adapters and SNES style controllers which work well with all retro games, but they all have a slight touch of lag from my experience. YMMV, and I'm pretty picky, so take that with a grain of salt.

Real-deal SNES consoles and carts will most likely last longer than your Wii and Nintendos non-existent digital download account service(might change soon?), but the hobby can become expensive.

Especially if you start collecting a lot of games in good condition and also invest into displays/scalers/etc to get the best quality experience. It's a deliciously fun downward spiral, and while it can be a burden on your wallet, it's completely worth it for the hundreds of hours of amazing 16bit games you can enjoy. :)

Teknoman

Uh... was SWAT Kats a really well-known gem or something? A girl on this chatroom I go to randomly asked "hey, who liked the SNES Swat Kats game?", which eventually led to me saying "y'know, licensed games are probably pretty cheap...".

$65 for a cartridge-only copy is the cheapest I could find (there's a $35 auction going on, but it's got 8 days to go). One CIB is asking $300! This is, like, Snatcher-expensive. Is this game Snatcher-good?

Completed listings are a little more reasonable, I suppose; those are closer to $35-40. But shit, some random licensed game getting this expensive is probably the biggest example of a bubble I've seen yet.

Looks like its made by hudson soft, so you never know? Look how much Flintstones 2 and Ducktales 2 are. I think Home Improvement is actually worth something too.

Quackula

I may take you up on that. Would I be better off using the Wii with component cables and VC/Emulation for the Sony Pvm? I kinda wanted to play on the original console but seeing as I don't even have a Snes yet the costs for this keep going up. Plus,while doing research for all this I saw that you can buy an adapter that lets you play with the original controllers on the Wii.

Wii might be a better option if you're okay with the whole not having physical carts thing.

bodine1231

Wii might be a better option if you're okay with the whole not having physical carts thing.

I just want perfect looking and playing Snes games. I screwed around with the bsnes scanline filters and they look ok but not perfect. And any time I play an emulated Snes game and there is the slightest bit of hiccup or stutter where there shouldn't be it makes me want to turn it off. I'm also looking into a Powerpak or Super Everdrive (if I can find one) to play from and just slowly build up a box Snes collection.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I played through The Ninja Warriors Again last night. Pretty awesome game. I think I'm gonna play through Majyuuou this weekend and start Link to the Past this week. I've been having way more fun playing SNES games than pretty much anything else I've played in years.

Linkhero1

I played through The Ninja Warriors Again last night. Pretty awesome game. I think I'm gonna play through Majyuuou this weekend and start Link to the Past this week. I've been having way more fun playing SNES games than pretty much anything else I've played in years.

It's so true lol. I was playing Dracula X yesterday and I've had more fun with it than a lot of the games I've played in the past year.

Quackula

Sucks for your friend. I think one of the appeals, for me at least, was a light story.

Yeah I was like "wtf is wrong with you man!?!?!?!?!?" when he said he didn't like it. Oh well.

I did convince him to go ahead and give the series another shot though, and at least he seems to be enjoying Ocarina of Time.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Maybe Link's Awakening would be up his alley? I mean, the story's still light, but more things happen inbetween dungeons.

Are we wondering if the best 2D Zelda game would be more appropriate for somebody that doesn't like the overhyped-but-not-as-good second-maybe-third best 2D Zelda game?

I'd say that's a safe assumption.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'd say it's definitely a candidate, but he's not a fan of portables either...

There's a PC Remake (on RPG Maker 2003) of Link's Awakening made by fans. As far as I played (not much) and from the information around the web, it's a complete port.

http://www.indieloot.com/video-games/fan-made-zelda-reawakens-links-awakening/

I'm not sure if it has the GameBoy Color-specific dungeons though. They weren't that good anyway. The controls seem to be a little off, but it's a nice update.

Now, instead of some half-assed bloom-inserted lens-flared Wind Waker remake, Nintendo should do a Link's Awakening remake (not a sequel. There can't ever be a sequel to LA) with beautiful 32bit (as opposed to SNES's 16 bits) sprites.

Top Bottom