• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

But this doesn't even come with the manual and the box looks pretty bad...

Yeah, it's not going to go for what a full CIB would go for (ended at $575) but there aren't many other SNES games missing a manual that would get to that price. Curious what would happen if a complete one were up for open auction.

And yes, it's quite a bad game.

Parallacs

Yeah, it's not going to go for what a full CIB would go for (ended at $575) but there aren't many other SNES games missing a manual that would get to that price. Curious what would happen if a complete one were up for open auction.

And yes, it's quite a bad game.

I have heard that the "Mountain Rally / Speed Racer" combo box can go for thousands. But that isn't a standard release. It was a recalled game.

Someone posted this stuff way back:

Q1in7UW.jpg

I've since tried it, and it works pretty well for getting marker and sticker residue off. Can get it from walmart, and just dip a qitp in it, let it sit for a minute then dry it off. Like Inner-G said, just be sure not to get any on the label.

Yeah that was me that posted it awhile back. It takes about 30 seconds to get rid of someones last name off a game. But it really can be intense, so keep it off of labels. It actually took someones name off a label without damaging it. It was on the back sticker of a N64 game, but i wouldn't try it on anything that has actual graphics and color. Good shit.

Has anybody here had any experience with orders on Amazon and/or eBay from Japan for Super Famicom games? I wanted to try and order Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix and the Sailor Moon beat 'em ups, but the shipping times seem pretty ridiculous...18-32 days or so, and I think with no tracking. Standard shipping is the only option I see. Some of the same sellers list a shorter delivery time of 1-2 weeks on their eBay accounts, though, which leads to more confusion.

Has anyone gone through with that, and if so, what's your experience? I don't tend to order online very much. The only import games I've ordered in the past were from US sellers, I think, and I got them within a week...but those were 7-10 or so years ago, and were Dreamcast and Saturn games. They had tracking numbers, too. I've never ordered from Japan.

Oh, and if anyone can find me a place in the US I can order boxed copies of these from, that'd be nice (and preferred), too. I already have a back up plan for Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix in case of anything, but not for the Sailor Moon games. I couldn't find any copies anywhere from US sellers, so far.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Has anybody here had any experience with orders on Amazon and/or eBay from Japan for Super Famicom games? I wanted to try and order Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix and the Sailor Moon beat 'em ups, but the shipping times seem pretty ridiculous...18-32 days or so, and I think with no tracking. Standard shipping is the only option I see. Some of the same sellers list a shorter delivery time of 1-2 weeks on their eBay accounts, though, which leads to more confusion.

Has anyone gone through with that, and if so, what's your experience? I don't tend to order online very much. The only import games I've ordered in the past were from US sellers, I think, and I got them within a week...but those were 7-10 or so years ago, and were Dreamcast and Saturn games. They had tracking numbers, too. I've never ordered from Japan.

Oh, and if anyone can find me a place in the US I can order boxed copies of these from, that'd be nice (and preferred), too. I already have a back up plan for Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix in case of anything, but not for the Sailor Moon games. I couldn't find any copies anywhere from US sellers, so far.

Shipping from Japan usually takes about a week to a week and a half, from my experience. I've never had something get lost in transit, thankfully, though my post office (and maybe this is because I'm in St. Louis, where people are retarded) has a nasty habit of getting a package, holding onto it, and never notifying me that they have it waiting...

uh... point is, there could be some mild inconvenience as far as having to sign for something or pick it up from the post office, but that should be the extent of of your concern with this stuff.

Well, I hope so. That doesn't sound too bad. I'd go crazy waiting blindly for a month for something. Hah.
Since I can't find any US listing for the Sailor Moon games, I'm probably gonna have to order them from Japan. I really, really hope the wait time isn't long, like you say. I think I might go with the US seller I found for Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix, though. I'd just feel "safer" that way. The listing is missing the instruction manual, though, which is a bit of a bummer.

Thanks for the super quick response, by the way! I really hope you're right. Those mid-May to early June delivery estimates are scaring me. Hah.

Danny Dudekisser

Well, I hope so. That doesn't sound too bad. I'd go crazy waiting blindly for a month for something. Hah.
Since I can't find any US listing for the Sailor Moon games, I'm probably gonna have to order them from Japan. I really, really hope the wait time isn't long, like you say. I think I might go with the US seller I found for Super Puyo Puyo Tsu Remix, though. I'd just feel "safer" that way.

Thanks for the super quick response, by the way! I really hope you're right. Those mid-May to early June delivery estimates are scaring me. Hah.

Yeah, they always waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overestimate the amount of time it'll take, just as an ass-covering precaution. Honestly, I think the longest it's ever taken for me to get something from Japan was 2 weeks. Hell, even when I bought something from Amazon.co.jp and had it shipped here via a courier, it still only took a little over 1 week.

Yeah, they always waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overestimate the amount of time it'll take, just as an ass-covering precaution. Honestly, I think the longest it's ever taken for me to get something from Japan was 2 weeks. Hell, even when I bought something from Amazon.co.jp and had it shipped here via a courier, it still only took a little over 1 week.

And was at least some of this stuff with just standard shipping (the only option I'm getting)? If so, wow. Awesome. You're making me feel a lot better about ordering stuff from Japan. :)

Danny Dudekisser

And was at least some of this stuff with just standard shipping (the only option I'm getting)? If so, wow. Awesome. You're making me feel a lot better about ordering stuff from Japan. :)

Pretty much all of it was standard shipping, yeah. Poor people don't use EMS :(

Pretty much all of it was standard shipping, yeah. Poor people don't use EMS :(

Sweeeeeet! I guess it's safe to go bid on the Sailor Moon beat 'em ups, then. Hopefully I win. Every other option I see is a bit too expensive for me right now. Haha.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: A friend of mine just told me that it took him 5 weeks to get a game he ordered from Japan delivered. :/

Hopefully that's not something that'll happen in my case, if I go through with it and win.

Also, has anyone ordered from "hit-japan" on eBay or Amazon before? Some of the stuff I'm thinking about getting are from them. They're listed as a "Top Rated Plus" seller, but I'd like to get some opinions/experiences on them from people here if I can. Their feedback is leading me to believe that their shipping is pretty fast.

Danny Dudekisser

Sweeeeeet! I guess it's safe to go bid on the Sailor Moon beat 'em ups, then. Hopefully I win. Every other option I see is a bit too expensive for me right now. Haha.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: A friend of mine just told me that it took him 5 weeks to get a game he ordered from Japan delivered. :/

Hopefully that's not something that'll happen in my case, if I go through with it and win.

Also, has anyone ordered from "hit-japan" on eBay or Amazon before? Some of the stuff I'm thinking about getting are from them. They're listed as "Top Rated Plus" seller, but I'd like to get some opinions/experience on them from people here if I can. Their feedback is leading me to believe that their shipping is pretty fast.

I have bought from them before, and didn't have any problem. Shipping took about as long as anywhere else, and they didn't pull any funny business with the description of the item's condition.

Reclaimer

Yeah that was me that posted it awhile back. It takes about 30 seconds to get rid of someones last name off a game. But it really can be intense, so keep it off of labels. It actually took someones name off a label without damaging it. It was on the back sticker of a N64 game, but i wouldn't try it on anything that has actual graphics and color. Good shit.

Anything you guys use to remove stickers or writing on the box or labels?

I bought a Super Famicom from Hit-Japan, and while it works great, the unit was much more dinged up than the pictures showed. They had it listed as a A, but I would give it a C. No yellowing though, which is nice. They have higher prices than most of the other sellers from Japan as well.

Anything you guys use to remove stickers or writing on the box or labels?

Marker is seems to be permanent on a box with the marker soaking into the cardboard, but you could try Goof Off. Stickers though i would recommend using a hot blow dryer by heating it up, slowly peeling the sticker off and cleaning the residue up with goo gone (Not Goof Off). Be careful not to peel the actual game label off too. If someone put marker on the game label you could try Goof Off, but its most likely gonna fade the label to a certain degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LlxGGywkbU

Is it just me or is Super Mario RPG kinda boring? To be fair I haven't played too many turn based JRPG's and it's my first time playing SMRPG but this one seems to have lost its charm. I'm at level 16 with most of my characters and have a about two stars left to collect. The gameplay so far has been pretty repetitive as I go to a new town load up on the new items at the store and head off to the next linear path to progress the story. I smile at some of the humor and it's neat to see a story driven Mario game. I was just expecting something a little more entertaining for all the hype it gets. Am I missing something here or am I not alone?

I think the game is really basic and easy, but I liked the battles. That little extra bit of interactivity did a lot for me.

o1Fc55i.png

Aww, yeah! My first eBay win. :)

I also tried to get Sailor Moon R from the same seller, but I got into a small bid war in the end. Oh, well, at least I got one of them!

Now, to place an order for Puyo Puyo Tsu/2...though, I saw a cheaper listing for the Saturn version, so I don't know if I should still go for the Super Famicom Remix version. Both listings are from US sellers, so the above comments about Japanese shipping times shouldn't be a problem.

Why's that? I think it's one of the easiest Zelda games to get into :p

I found myself enjoying it much more when I had my friend over telling me what to do next.
I'm part of the problem, lol. Modern Zelda games are bad because of me.

o1Fc55i.png

Aww, yeah! My first eBay win. :)

I also tried to get Sailor Moon R from the same seller, but I got into a small bid war in the end. Oh, well, at least I got one of them!

Congrats on the Sailor Moon get, KDash31987. It pales in comparison to the Gazelle-developed arcade game, but as mindless fan curiosity, it's not half bad! I have the sequel around here somewhere, and now I feel like busting it out.

bodine1231

Is there a good place to judge prices for SNES games? I want to start a small collection of favorites but don't want to overpay.

Congrats on the Sailor Moon get, KDash31987. It pales in comparison to the Gazelle-developed arcade game, but as mindless fan curiosity, it's not half bad! I have the sequel around here somewhere, and now I feel like busting it out.

Thanks!

Yeah, the arcade game is pretty great. I played through it quite a few times, both by myself and with friends. Loved every minute of it. It'd be nice to see it get a home release some day, especially now that the series has been going through a revival around the world, and with a new series airing at some point in the near future.
I also wanna get Sailor Moon R and the Mega Drive game , but the latter is so damn expensive. :(

Anyway, there's some more auctions for Super Famicom games that I'm keeping an eye on that end sometime in the afternoon. Here's hoping I win at least one of them! I'm still also trying to decide what version of Puyo Puyo Tsu/2 to get (Saturn or Super Famicom Remix). Hopefully I can make up my mind later. Maybe those auctions I mentioned might help my answer by how much money I have left over if I win. Hah.

Fox Mulder

The longest time I've had to wait was for something from Canada. I've got items from places like Poland, Russia, China, and Japan in a little over a week. Took me a month to get an item from Canada.

Jhriad

Damn,ok. So what would be a good/fair price for a super clean (non yellow) Snes? Most I see that aren't yellowed are around $50-60.

$50-60 is pretty typical from what I understand. If you really want the box and it's in good condition/complete $100 might be worth it but that's really a judgement call on your part. Pretty sure I've seen them around $80 on eBay before. That's before shipping.

bodine1231

Welp,went on a little eBay spending spree. Picked up Secret of Mana for 40,Yoshi's Island for 25 and Super Famicom Mega Man X,X2 and X3 for 50 shipped. Now I just need to find a damn mint SNES to play them on,lol.

Mzo

I was in Chicago for about a week. Wandered into a Disc Replay right when some kid was trading in Kirby's Dreamland 3 for peanuts. Offered him whatever I had in my wallet for it (ended up being $15) and he took it.

I love it when crazy coincidences happen.

I've been down on garage sales this year since most of the ones I stopped at had no games for sale. The dude that found EVO lucked out, that's awesome and inspiring.

Top Bottom