• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

The patch I initially posted was bad. I'll edit that part in a bit (not home right now). Grab the one from a few posts down by Robin64 or just patch it yourself using ucon64 and the -l flag.

Thanks a lot for the heads up, I just tried Robin64's version of the patch and it worked. :)

Also, I'm migrating my thumbnails that have more than one character to ones that only have one. For FFV having just Bartz standing there looked quite sparse, and I wanted something like Magitek Terra. The obvious thing would be to have Bartz on Boko, but FFV's chocobo sprites are tiny and not meant to be mounted, and Bartz has no "mounting" sprite. So I decided to cheat and creat my own sprite, using FFVI's chocobos and a completely remade Bartz sprite. I think I like the result!
93LEjeh.png

Now I have to think of something like that for FFIV. Rydia on the mist dragon?

denx

It's a bit big...

This looks awesome, thanks!

So I want to ask for a bunch of SNES covers. If anyone has these it would be greatly appreciated.

- Ganpuru: Gunman's Proof
- Live A Live
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Shin Megami Tensei II
- Spanky's Quest
- Ys IV: Mask of the Sun

Also there's a hack for International Super Star Soccer Deluxe that updates the team rosters to 2017. If someone could come up with a SNES cover for that it would be awesome.

LOUD915

Does it work with the default configuration, is it possible to use Retroarch just for one game, and will I still be able to have access to the rewind / save state functions that are part of Canoe?

When installing it, it will automatically put the patch on the game. It will also mention that you need to use Retroarch to play it. Simply hit yes and you are good to go.

Retroarch will only run on that game unless you enable it on the command line universally or on another game.

I don't think rewind works, but the save state would work within Retroarch if I'm not mistaken.

devonodev

Been playing around with the cover art, and bottom row of thumbnails. Edit a bunch of the images that are floating around, and made some of my own. Then I batch edited them to make the thumbnails at the bottom with photoshop. I'm happy with how it's looking!

I'll upload all the game icons later.

ZeroCDR

This looks awesome, thanks!

So I want to ask for a bunch of SNES covers. If anyone has these it would be greatly appreciated.

- Ganpuru: Gunman's Proof
- Live A Live
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Shin Megami Tensei II
- Spanky's Quest
- Ys IV: Mask of the Sun

Also there's a hack for International Super Star Soccer Deluxe that updates the team rosters to 2017. If someone could come up with a SNES cover for that it would be awesome.

Here's a Gundam Wing one:

reAksHv.png

Tyrax

Anyone else having problems with stability with the custom firmware? Mine seems to crash starting original star fox after I flash

ReyVGM

What folder option do I need to select?

If I wanted the original 21 games showing by default on the main screen, but I wanted to have 1 or 2 folders next to them to add more games inside those, what option do I need to pick?

Psxphile

What folder option do I need to select?

If I wanted the original 21 games showing by default on the main screen, but I wanted to have 1 or 2 folders next to them to add more games inside those, what option do I need to pick?

The default one? I never touched the folder options but Hakchi organized them just as you described.
EDIT: though with that one, you could end up with 30+ games in one folder and 5 in the other.
If you use 'original games in root -> pages, split games equally', it should divvy up the extra titles evenly

SOLDIER

Finally started adding the excellent custom borders people have made. Do I have to use the FTR program to add additional borders?

Speaking of, a couple more border ideas:

1. I'd love to see a border based on FFVI's opera house. Maybe this image can be used?

final-fantasy-vi-10-13-14-2.png

2. I would also love something similar to the excellent SNES Box border for Nintendo Power.

nintendo-made-some-new-nintendo-power-covers-to-celebrate-the-snes-classic-social.jpg

Maybe a collage of magazine covers, or whatever people think is the most iconic?

3. Finally, as a technical question, I managed to get Famicom Detective Club part 2 working, but its screen is off center, causing a misalignment with whatever border is up. Anyone else have this problem, or know of a fix?

DarkKyo

I have a question. Does marking a game as two-player in hakchi actually enable two-player control for that game? Or is it just for display/marking purposes?

ReyVGM

The default one? I never touched the folder options but Hakchi organized them just as you described.
EDIT: though with that one, you could end up with 30+ games in one folder and 5 in the other.
If you use 'original games in root -> pages, split games equally', it should divvy up the extra titles evenly

Perfect, thanks for the answer.

I have a question. Does marking a game as two-player in hakchi actually enable two-player control for that game? Or is it just for display/marking purposes?

I... wh...

Are... you asking if a game that doesn't have 2 players mode can be made to be 2-players by hakchi?

If a game was designed to be 2-players, it will be 2-players regardless of what hakchi says. Nothing can disable 2-players mode.
If a game is 1-player, then there's nothing hakchi can do to make it 2-players.

DarkKyo

No, I was asking if you needed to designate whether it was a 2 player game to enable the second controller port for that game or anything like that. But, gotcha.

ReyVGM

I have an old monitor with VGA, but no audio. Could I get this and use it to connect my SNES Classic Edition to and also listen to the audio with headphones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191975667774

If so, just not sure how I'd adjust the volume or if it would only output at 1 set level?

Where are you going to connect the headphones to?

*Edit*
Oh I see, the converter has a headphone jack. I guess it could work assuming there's no problem 'converting' to VGA.

Matticers

Been playing around with the cover art, and bottom row of thumbnails. Edit a bunch of the images that are floating around, and made some of my own. Then I batch edited them to make the thumbnails at the bottom with photoshop. I'm happy with how it's looking!

I'll upload all the game icons later.

These look awesome. I think it looks a lot better than the regular SNES box art they use. Can't wait for the upload.

Tahnit

Banned
Any decent crt filters that work with retroarch without severely slowing down framerate? Trying to play gba games and it looks like ass.

VNZ

Do I need to have the latest hakchi installed for the overscan fix to work. I patched it with Lunar and I'm getting no overscan fix :(
No, the patch does its thing on any emulator or even a real SNES. It needs the right version of the base game though. Use the BPS patch instead, which includes checksum information; it tells you if you’re using the wrong base file.

Why I also included an IPS patch I don’t know... It inevitably leads to user errors.

Has anyone had any luck with Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes romhack? I get the intro from the devs explaining, but after that it's just a black screen with music.

hivycox

I put in retroarch and installed everything but now my default snes games are corrupt. Any help?

olb97AX.jpg

Seems like you didn't flash your custom kernel when updating hakchi.

Deinstall retroarch and snes9x, flash custom kernel and the reinstall retroarch (and snes9x).

EDIT: Beaten!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seems Australia is the source for additional new NCL style boxes (as seen with your DKC3 example before). While it used the "dreaded" NOE template, I do like the European artwork for Harvest Moon. Interestingly, the german cover had a blurb, but the UK covers I referenced on eBay didn't (also someone was selling one for £2000!)

Glad you like the Chrono Trigger box. Took a while to find a background I was happy with.

Yeah I agree, the NOE artwork for Harvest Moon is much nicer and atmospheric, lovely image really. The US/NCL one is pretty bad, it’s got the Japanese art mixed with a real life stock photo of a farm.

I think the reason for only Australia having the NCL cover in this case is that it was a niche title late in the cycle, so regions like UKV or SCN didn’t want to do NCL’s minimum order for a bespoke run (5,000 copies, iirc), and pooled with NOE. With NOE they would have needed to do only around 1,000 units for their own UKV labeled cover from NOE, but with an EUR labeled cartridge, like DKC3.

On closer inspection, DKC3 was indeed one of these. A cartridge from NOE’s general EUR labeled stock, with a SCN labels box and manual localised by NOE on their own template:

Hence the NCL style cover only ever appeared in Australia.

Kinda surprising that Super NES sales fell so quickly off the cliff in UK and Scandinavia that they wouldn’t be able to sell 5,000 copies of a big game like Doney Kong Country 3. I guess PlayStation had really taken off at that point, and N64 was just around the corner.

denx

Has anyone managed to get the DQ Translations ... err translation of Dragon Quest III and the Project Naga translation of Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War working? They both just show me a black screen.

I have an old monitor with VGA, but no audio. Could I get this and use it to connect my SNES Classic Edition to and also listen to the audio with headphones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191975667774

If so, just not sure how I'd adjust the volume or if it would only output at 1 set level?
In my experience (I have HDMI2HDMI+audio) it outputs loud enough for headphones. But if I want volume control I use a headphone amp. Or external speakers with volume control.

I patched Tetris & Dr. Mario, but it still goes outside of the border. Is that really how it is?
No. Check your ROM.

Anyone else having problems with stability with the custom firmware? Mine seems to crash starting original star fox after I flash
The custom firmware only adds 10 lines of code to the original. So it's more likely that your power supply isn't good enough.

I can't power through my Switch dock or Projector so I now use a portable battery.

3. Finally, as a technical question, I managed to get Famicom Detective Club part 2 working, but its screen is off center, causing a misalignment with whatever border is up. Anyone else have this problem, or know of a fix?
Check the Dr Mario patch.

I got through everything and on the last few steps it says to turn off the Snes and wait for the lil green dot in hakchi to turn red before disconnecting the snes from the PC,but its been a 5 minutes and it hasent turned red,should i keep waiting?

DonMigs85

In my experience (I have HDMI2HDMI+audio) it outputs loud enough for headphones. But if I want volume control I use a headphone amp. Or external speakers with volume control.

No. Check your ROM.

The custom firmware only adds 10 lines of code to the original. So it's more likely that your power supply isn't good enough.

I can't power through my Switch dock or Projector so I now use a portable battery.

Check the Dr Mario patch.
Fixed the issue, had to do the hex edit and not just the patch

TheMoon

What is wrong with me that all this box art stuff is the most fascinating thing to me about this thread lol

Whoa, I had no idea there was a PAL Mystical Ninja! Love the Chrono Trigger PAL cover. I think the reason Square games didn’t have Square logo or Licensed logo is that Nintendo released them in Europe as first party games.

Also, check out this ultra rare new NCL style PAL Harvest Moon, I had no idea this cover existed:

16Bit-Games-Harvest-Moon-font-b-Australia-b-font-PAL-Version-font-b-Box-b-font.jpg

Yea this. I was confused about what Square games came out in Europe because of it. Square games were Nintendo games back then.

The whole distribution mess in that era is also likely the cause for missing logos.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kinda surprising that Super NES sales fell so quickly off the cliff in UK and Scandinavia that they wouldn't be able to sell 5,000 copies of a big game like Doney Kong Country 3. I guess PlayStation had really taken off at that point, and N64 was just around the corner.

Sucked for me, as I was one of those kids who was told having one system was good enough so no PSX or N64 for me. Basically survived off ex-display copies and second hand games. Then got a Super GameBoy so I could at least get some new games for my SNES. I think the last ever SNES game I bought brand new from a store was was Kirby's Fun Pak from a bargain bin in Toys R Us. At the time I had no idea who Kirby was, but who can resist a bright pink box? Pretty good game to go out on.

What is wrong with me that all this box art stuff is the most fascinating thing to me about this thread lol
I've literally had to force myself to take a break from the photoshopping as it was becoming quite addicting lol

TheMoon

Yeah I agree, the NOE artwork for Harvest Moon is much nicer and atmospheric, lovely image really. The US/NCL one is pretty bad, it’s got the Japanese art mixed with a real life stock photo of a farm.

I think the reason for only Australia having the NCL cover in this case is that it was a niche title late in the cycle, so regions like UKV or SCN didn’t want to do NCL’s minimum order for a bespoke run (5,000 copies, iirc), and pooled with NOE. With NOE they would have needed to do only around 1,000 units for their own UKV labeled cover from NOE, but with an EUR labeled cartridge, like DKC3.

On closer inspection, DKC3 was indeed one of these. A cartridge from NOE’s general EUR labeled stock, with a SCN labels box and manual localised by NOE on their own template:

Hence the NCL style cover only ever appeared in Australia.

Kinda surprising that Super NES sales fell so quickly off the cliff in UK and Scandinavia that they wouldn’t be able to sell 5,000 copies of a big game like Doney Kong Country 3. I guess PlayStation had really taken off at that point, and N64 was just around the corner.

The NoAU history is super fascinating anyway to this day. With them technically belonging to NOE but very often taking on packaging designs/box arts/localizations from NOA instead. Or even branching out from everyone, see New 3DS.

_Malus_

Neo Member
Hello Gaf! One quick question: I have been on hakchi ver. 2.20b ?(first official release, downloaded on Monday I think) and the first retroarch version (0.8).

Until now, everything‘s working fine.
Is it worth updating to newer versions? Because I am too afraid of uninstalling / reinstalling hakchi + retroarch.

My current versions won‘t hurt my snes mini, if I keep using them right?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it has me concerned a while. XD

Robin64

Hello Gaf! One quick question: I have been on hakchi ver. 2.20b ?(first official release, downloaded on Monday I think) and the first retroarch version (0.8).

Until now, everything‘s working fine.
Is it worth updating to newer versions? Because I am too afraid of uninstalling / reinstalling hakchi + retroarch.

My current versions won‘t hurt my snes mini, if I keep using them right?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it has me concerned a while. XD

Actually you will want to update from that version because it had a bug where the SNES Mini would be running at a higher voltage than it should, which means it gets hot fast.

But updating is easy. Just download the new .zip file, open the contents, and overwrite the files in your existing folder. Games and things won't be affected.

Once that is done, flash the custom kernel again.

_Malus_

Neo Member
Actually you will want to update from that version because it had a bug where the SNES Mini would be running at a higher voltage than it should, which means it gets hot fast.

But updating is easy. Just download the new .zip file, open the contents, and overwrite the files in your existing folder. Games and things won't be affected.

Oh, I actually do not need to set my snes mini back to factory settings?

PSFan

Could you possibly link me to your post that KojiKnight is talking about with the Illusion of Gaia patch? I can't seem to find it sifting through the topic. Thanks.

Top Bottom