• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Hacking | More games, more borders, more gooder.

Chucker

Alright, finished up my square icons and applied the Illusion of Gaia patch.

No more modding this weekend, only playing lol.

TLZ

Banned
I made one for DKC3 too. It's really good, I spent a long time with a focus group of people (not Neiteio) who all had their input. We decided to focus on the most popular thing about the game, the new precocious baby character, and we used art of him with his mouth open to emphasize that this is a fun game.

Please use it as much as possible.

4SITcko.png
Perfect for the Switch.

Palom

retroarch_with_cores.zip and it's not an error, it just doesn't let me drop anything into Hakchi and shows the disabled icon on the cursor.
I had this issue with another program once before. When I ran the program as administrator, it would not let me use drag and drop, but if I just ran it normally, it would. If you're running it as administrator, try doing it again without running as administrator.

VNZ

Tetris and Dr Mario overscan has been solved. It should work on other gamer that are going over the borders too.

Like with Goof Troop, set the ROM to not be compressed, then go into its folder in hakchi and open the .sfrom in a hex editor.

Find the following: 8D 33 21
Change the 8D to 9C

ixuhTPw.png

Save, sync game.

And unlike our pals over at Reddit, I will give credit to the person who found this.
Since this post I (!) made an updated patch. Link in the updated OP.

ryan-ts

It's not that far. I spent a lot of time messing around at the Fair, so in terms of time it was quite far for me, but you can get here super quick. Literally Fair -> Truce Canyon -> Forest to castle -> Tower (crash area)

And yes, unmodified ROM.

So one of the black chests in the castle caused the game to freeze? I opened/checked a couple chests in there and everything is fine with my game.

Robin64

So one of the chests in the castle caused the game to freeze? I opened a couple chests in there and everything is fine with my game.

The second time I got there, it was fine. But then I had another crash.

After seeing Marle vanish, I ran back down the tower, and one screen transition didn't make it. It just faded to black and stayed. This time I remembered the rewind feature, zipped back to before I entered the room, and tried again. Was okay this time.

Kadmac25

It's not that far. I spent a lot of time messing around at the Fair, so in terms of time it was quite far for me, but you can get here super quick. Literally Fair -> Truce Canyon -> Forest to castle -> Tower (crash area)

And yes, unmodified ROM.

Not liking the sound of this. This is kind of a big deal if Chrono Trigger is not running correctly on the SNES Classic. :(

Here’s a super basic question:

When I’m doing my hackchi work (initial modding & follow up adding game) & my SNES Classic is plugged into my PC, can I have the HDMI plugged into my TV? Or should I unplug the HDMI?

Robin64

Here’s a super basic question:

When I’m doing my hackchi work & my SNES Classic is plugged into my PC can I have the HDMI plugged into my TV? Or should I unplug the HDMI?

Yeah it's fine to have it plugged in to the TV. I've got my USB connected to the PC and the HDMI plugged into the TV, and I haven't removed them since day one.

ZServ

And yes, unmodified ROM.

Weird. I've gotten to the Future on two separate occasions (I.. accidentally loaded a quick-save thing and deleted my save, don't judge me), and have had zero issues. Hm.

JayBabay

I haven't gotten far in the Woolsey Uncensored patch, but so far it's much better than the RPGOne patch which was a literal, literal disaster. As in, they made that translation so clinical and correct it felt and played awful.

So far it feels closer to what Woolsey probably would have done if he had an extra 33% of the rom for text and no Nintendo censors to worry about.

Thanks for the informative post, excited for the more enjoyable experience these patches will bring.

dvolovets

Don't mean to double post, but it seems like my question fell through the cracks here. Could someone please direct me to the proper resources to get Illusion of Gaia to work on this? I have no experience with any of this stuff, so I've tried sifting through the thread and just ended up confused... Thanks!

So I successfully hacked my SNES Mini earlier this week and was able to load additional games onto my system.

Now though, when I plug my system into my PC and try to synchronize new games and remove old one, I get the "Waiting for NES/SNES Mini" popup, despite having already turned the system on.

Anyone else have the same issue?

denx

Anyone has cover art for Chaos Seed?

I haven't gotten far in the Woolsey Uncensored patch, but so far it's much better than the RPGOne patch which was a literal, literal disaster. As in, they made that translation so clinical and correct it felt and played awful.

So far it feels closer to what Woolsey probably would have done if he had an extra 33% of the rom for text and no Nintendo censors to worry about.

Should add that there's a version of Woolsey's Uncensored Translation that uses the GBA port script for the Opera scene. Haven't got that far, but there seems to be agreement that the translation work on the Opera scene is better in the GBA version than the SNES version, so you should probably look that up.

Another thing to consider is that WUT is a patch that must be applied to a 1.0 version of NA FFIII, NOT to JP FFVI.

Chucker

Alright, got Gaia to play so that's good.
Patched FFV for the GBA translation, III for the Woolsey Uncensored, but no matter what I can't get Namingway II to boot.

Strange.

So I successfully hacked my SNES Mini earlier this week and was able to load additional games onto my system.

Now though, when I plug my system into my PC and try to synchronize new games and remove old one, I get the "Waiting for NES/SNES Mini" popup, despite having already turned the system on.

Flash back to the original kernel, then flash the custom kernel again.

Palom

Alright, got Gaia to play so that's good.
Patched FFV for the GBA translation, III for the Woolsey Uncensored, but no matter what I can't get Namingway II to boot.

Strange.
Make sure your ROM does not have a header. I recommend NSRT to make sure your ROM matches what the patch is looking for, and you can remove the header if it's present.

JayBabay

Sure.

Hakchi2 -> Settings -> Controller hacks

In this menu, from my understanding, it's saying you can leave the current reset combination (L+R+Start+Select) to just reset the game; or the second option to set a "Select" button combination custom reset, does this also just reset the game or allow you to set a combination to take you back to the home menu?

Dimentios

In this menu, from my understanding, it's saying you can leave the current reset combination (L+R+Start+Select) to just reset the game; or the second option to set a "Select" button combination custom reset, does this also just reset the game or allow you to set a combination to take you back to the home menu?

Both for taking you back to the home menu. (L+R+Start+Select) is the default which also resets certain games to the title screen. So not ideal.
Most chose Down + Select, but you can put any combination as you see fit. I have L + R.

I had a freeze once while playing starfox. At the start of Mission 2.
I could reset to the main menu and rewind the game, but the freeze happened again at the very same moment.
The game itself is the original one from the system. Unaltered.

JayBabay

Both for taking you back to the home menu. (L+R+Start+Select) is the default which also resets certain games to the title screen. So not ideal.
Most chose Down + Select, but you can put any combination as you see fit. I have L + R.

Thanks, just tried it and it worked like a charm!

Can't get Gaia to work. I checked the ROM and it had the same checksums as KojiKnight posted in that pic; the patched ROM works fine on an emulator, but it gives me a straight error C7 on the mini as I boot it. Ah well.

LOUD915

Don't mean to double post, but it seems like my question fell through the cracks here. Could someone please direct me to the proper resources to get Illusion of Gaia to work on this? I have no experience with any of this stuff, so I've tried sifting through the thread and just ended up confused... Thanks!

Install Retroarch.

It takes 5 minutes.

ran into this issue, i just waited a few seconds, and it synced

Can't get Gaia to work. I checked the ROM and it had the same checksums as KojiKnight posted in that pic; the patched ROM works fine on an emulator, but it gives me a straight error C7 on the mini as I boot it. Ah well.

The patch I initially posted was bad. I'll edit that part in a bit (not home right now). Grab the one from a few posts down by Robin64 or just patch it yourself using ucon64 and the -l flag.

soundtest

Banned
Huh, DBZ Super Butouden 2 is the only of the 3 games games that glitches like crazy on the mini and it's my favorite of the bunch. Shame

mdsfx

I'm now getting c7 errors on my 3 most played roms, regardless of removing them, replacing them, flashing original kernel and back to custom. WTF?

mdsfx

Which games? Anything you've recently changed?
Mortal Kombat 1 & 3 and killer instinct. Not really. I was trying to fix my crashing issues buy flashing the original then custom kernel. I have 46 games and only these 3 are giving me this issue now.

Is there some game data of some kind that isn't removed even after removing the game?

Top Bottom