• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK: PSP Games, Metal Slug 3D(?), DS, New Franchises...

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Kikizo: What about the new PSP project we were discussing earlier, could you tell us a little about that?

Morishita: At the moment I can't tell you the exact information but yes, we're aiming to release some titles.

Kikizo: And what has your experience with PSP been like so far?

Morishita: As with all the manufacturers in Japan, we're interested in all the new hardware... we really need to support them.

Kikizo: And is Nintendo DS something that SNK is keen on?

Morishita: Yes, we are also interested in Nintendo DS, but at the moment, we first need to see what the response of the market is to it.

Interesting...

Kikizo: Exciting! What about that problem with SNK releasing some games in the US and the issue with SCEA?

Morishita: We have a good relationship with Sony America, but they have their policies and we have to follow them.

Kikizo: But does that mean certain games can't be released, or do you just how to rethink the way you release them?

Morishita: All I can say is we're still in discussion with SCEA about many titles. Some titles we'll combine, but as to whether or not we can release such a standalone 2D game, that is under discussion. To be honest if there is no choice, we don't mind combining titles for Sony if there is no choice because they have a big market.

The man contradicts himself, first he says snk is interested in all market than he says he needs to see how the market reacts to DS but he jumps right in with the PSP.....lol

Bluemercury said:
The man contradicts himself, first he says snk is interested in all market than he says he needs to see how the market reacts to DS but he jumps right in with the PSP.....lol

Hehehe, if the moneyhat is big enough who cares what the market thinks. :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SCEA better not be pulling their usual shit... but they probably are.

<shakes head sadly>

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ourumov said:
It's kinda stange he isn't in better relation with Nintendo. He has the same toad-head Iwata has.
You've made this thread gold, thank you rofl.

Metal Slug in 3D, could be good or bad. Hey I'm interested, hopefully this game will be great!

snapty00

Banned
I'm not really convinced that a 3D Metal Slug game is going to perform any better financially than a 2D Metal Slug game. I don't think the fact that it's 2D is really what's holding it back; I just don't think the mass market is interested in that type of gameplay nowadays.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Metal Slug 3D = Ikari Warriors '05

Now, wouldn't that be sweet?

Hero

The guy doesn't make much sense.

Launch game for PSP, yet a 'wait-and-see' stance on the NDS? Sony has a better position on the home console market, but to to take that kind of faith and apply it to their first handheld compared to Nintendo's 4th/5th, it's pretty ridiculous.

snapty00

Banned
Hero said:

Launch game for PSP, yet a 'wait-and-see' stance on the NDS? Sony has a better position on the home console market, but to to take that kind of faith and apply it to their first handheld compared to Nintendo's 4th/5th, it's pretty ridiculous.
Maybe Nintendo's "the DS isn't a Game Boy and is totally different" party line is really sinking in with some developers. So if SNK really believes that, maybe they see the DS as unproven waters.

Hero

snapty00 said:
Maybe Nintendo's "the DS isn't a Game Boy and is totally different" party line is really sinking in with some developers. So if SNK really believes that, maybe they see the DS as unproven waters.

While that's fine if they think the NDS is so different from the traditional GB lines that it won't sell, at least be consistent. How is the PSP in any more proven water than the NDS? I mean really, the only thing I understand of SNK releasing a PSP launch game is it will help sales. Rather than putting out a new game for PS2 where the market is saturated, release it in a fresh market. But then after the initial launch period I see no other benefits for SNK releasing games on PSP as opposed to PS2.

SNK isn't one to innovate. What game would they put on DS? Metal Slug with two screens? King of Fighters with two screens?

None of their existing franchises could possibly have dual screen or stylus support. So why go for DS?

ourumov

SiegfriedFM said:
SNK isn't one to innovate. What game would they put on DS? Metal Slug with two screens? King of Fighters with two screens?

None of their existing franchises could possibly have dual screen or stylus support. So why go for DS?
Snk vs Capcom: Match of the Millenium had a lot of mini-games...I can imagine a SNK-based game with just mini games...Actually I think there was a KOF for NGPC that was basically this...KOF de Paradise perhaps ?

I don't remember the name.

jarrod

Banned
Hero said:

I think PSP will most likely get direct AtomisWave ports (along with PS2/XBox) while DS would demand original project development (as GBA does)... they're waiting to see on DS because it'd be a larger investment for them than quick arcade to PSP ports.

snapty00

Banned
Hero said:
While that's fine if they think the NDS is so different from the traditional GB lines that it won't sell, at least be consistent. How is the PSP in any more proven water than the NDS?
I'm guessing they believe this since Game Boy is extremely popular, PSP is more of an evolution of the Game Boy than DS is (or at least, that's what Nintendo seems set out to prove), and Sony has proven that it can succeed in the videogame market regardless of stiff competition. If you put all three together, I can definitely see why someone would see the DS as unproven while PSP is treading chartered waters.

Just my opinion: I think Nintendo would be better off just shutting up about the third-pillar business and letting the DS bloom (or not bloom, if that's the case) however the market and third-parties see fit. If it really does become a so-called "third pillar," then fine. But it seems like they're artificially forcing it to be that, when that may not be best. Why can't they just call it Game Boy were newer control functions? Nintendo 64 had 3D graphics, a Rumble Pak, an analog stick on its controller, and an underneath button on its controller, but Nintendo didn't force it to be some poorly contrived "third pillar."

Hero said:
While that's fine if they think the NDS is so different from the traditional GB lines that it won't sell, at least be consistent. How is the PSP in any more proven water than the NDS? I mean really, the only thing I understand of SNK releasing a PSP launch game is it will help sales. Rather than putting out a new game for PS2 where the market is saturated, release it in a fresh market. But then after the initial launch period I see no other benefits for SNK releasing games on PSP as opposed to PS2.
It's possible the guy's just trying to be "PC" regarding Nintendo. Nintendo might have a certain stance regarding content for their DS and if nothing supports the dual screens, then they won't approve it. He's not going to say, "Nintendo has denied any game proposals SNK has submitted to them for the DS thus far." His response is typical of company bigwigs where they put a spin on things to make it sound as if they have control. Just a thought.

jarrod

Banned
Mr_Furious said:
Nintendo might have a certain stance regarding content for their DS and if nothing supports the dual screens, then they won't approve it.
Actually no, Nintendo's said all of DS' unique interfaces and functions are entirely optional... they're leaving it wide open.

It just makes more sense to port KOF NeoWave & Metal Slug 6 to PSP while waiting to see if DS takes off before starting up development on Card Fighters Clash 2. ;)

Shoryuken

Mr_Furious said:
It's possible the guy's just trying to be "PC" regarding Nintendo. Nintendo might have a certain stance regarding content for their DS and if nothing supports the dual screens, then they won't approve it. He's not going to say, "Nintendo has denied any game proposals SNK has submitted to them for the DS thus far." His response is typical of company bigwigs where they put a spin on things to make it sound as if they have control. Just a thought.

No I think it's just SNK doesn't like Nintendo. They give no Support to GC and have almost non-existant GBA support. Keep in mind the GB buried the Neo-geo pocket/color, so there might still be some bad blood.

jarrod

Banned
Shoryuken said:
No I think it's just SNK doesn't like Nintendo. They give no Support to GC and have almost non-existant GBA support. Keep in mind the GB buried the Neo-geo pocket/color, so there might still be some bad blood.
Ben Herman was working for NOA actually before SNK restarted up... XBox was chosen over GC as a secondary platform because costs involved were slightly less (and MS Japan is heavily courting arcade stuff now) and they needed a second console after DC devlopment winded down. Herman's hinted that they'll make games for Revolution however.

Spike

jarrod said:
Actually no, Nintendo's said all of DS' unique interfaces and functions are entirely optional... they're leaving it wide open.

It just makes more sense to port KOF NeoWave & Metal Slug 6 to PSP while waiting to see if DS takes off before starting up development on Card Fighters Clash 2. ;)

You, sir, are a very good person. :)

Top Bottom