• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snoopy Flying Ace |OT| Quaffing Root Beers With Bill Mauldin

aaaasnoopy.gif

What's it all about, Charlie Brown?

Crimson Skies + Snoopy = Love

Which developer gets a chocolate chip cookie for making this?

SmartBomb Interactive.

Can you paste more detailed information from a press release, please?

Certainly!

You can't have aerial dogfighting without the dog! Join Snoopy, Charlie Brown, and the rest of the Peanuts gang in the premier online flight shooter on Xbox LIVE® Arcade, Snoopy Flying Ace. With simple flight controls and a hangar full of customizable planes and weapons, all you need are nerves of steel to climb the Leaderboards and become a Flying Ace! Snoopy Flying Ace takes addictive, fast-paced airborne combat to new heights, with fantastic solo and co-op challenges testing your skills against the Flying Circus of the dreaded Red Baron. Remember, it ain't the size of the dog in the fight … it's the size of the fight in the dog!

- Choose from 16 different aircraft including the famous Sopwith Camel and the infamous Red Baron's Fokker Tripla--​

WAIT CAN I FLY THE DOGHOUSE?!

Yes. But only if you're a true flying ace.

- Ten different battlefields to fight across​

- Nine online game modes including 16-player free-for-all deathmatch and team-based airborne rugby​

- Play as Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Lucy or any of the 12 classic members of the Peanuts gang. Or, climb into the cockpit with your Xbox LIVE Avatar, but who the hell would want to do that.​

- Single-player and split-screen co-op

draft_lens6721782module54574042phot.jpg

Which platform is fortunate enough to receive such a blessing, and when?

XBLA, June 2nd.

*trombone sounds*

Yes Miss Othmar, it really only costs 800 MS points.

Impressions:

Joystiq (hands-on)
The single-player mode is fairly straightforward. You take Snoopy through missions against different devious foes, all based on existing Peanuts characters. This is where we ran into Lucy and her minions ... and turned her into Swiss cheese.

As good as the flying is, it gets even better when you're multiplayer-ing online. There are numerous characters to choose for your pilot, or you can use your XBL Avatar. The multiplayer modes include capture the flag, flying rugby and more, so there's a lot to choose from rather than your standard "shoot down the other guy, repeat ad infinitum" deathmatch. The plane controls are extremely easy to understand, and thankfully there are adjusted physics, meaning you won't graze a hill accidentally and explode.

Interviews:

http://shogungamer.com/news/exclusive-snoopy-flying-ace-interview

Reviews:

Official Xbox Magazine - 75/100
OXM UK - 7.0
IGN - 9.0

Trailers/videos:

Teaser: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/snoopy-flying-ace-trailer/286934
Preview: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sneak-preview-snoopy-flying/42423

Screenshots:

ae03b1cd.jpg

Wait, no.

974852_20100329_screen007.jpg

974852_20100329_screen003.jpg

974852_20100329_screen012.jpg

974852_20100329_screen011.jpg

snoopy-wwi-flying-ace-2009092308-2.jpg

snoopy-wwi-flying-ace-2009092308211.jpg

What the hell is 'quaffing root beers with Bill Mauldin' about?

Bill Mauldin was a WWII cartoonist and war veteran whom Schulz depicted Snoopy visiting every Veteran's Day to throw back a few root beers with. And as everyone knows, you don't chug root beers, you quaff them.

I never really thought PEANUTS was that funny.

This is neither the time nor the place, buddy.

CompletePeanuts19651966SnoopySopwit.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm disappointed that they weren't able to get their original open world platformer / action-adventure / dogfighting game pitch published, but still super duper excited to shoot down the Red Baron!

I'm sure there will be plenty of bitching about the canceled Wii version, but I'm glad it's actually seeing release at all.

Even if it is on a console I don't own.

Bleh, I didn't mean to add the quaffing root beers joke to the thread title, just the sub-header in the thread. Mods feel free to change it back to "Snoopy Flying Ace │OT│".

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You forgot the |OT| in the thread title.

Otherwise, I AM EXCITE and will exchange my spacebucks for this on June 2.

Danthrax said:
You forgot the |OT| in the thread title.

I posted the thread title as "Snoopy Flying Ace │OT│" and changed the subheader after it was published, because I thought the title itself wouldn't change. Oh well.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Joe Shlabotnik said:
I posted the thread title as "Snoopy Flying Ace │OT│" and changed the subheader after it was published, because I thought the title itself wouldn't change. Oh well.

I see. Live and learn, I guess =P

Malio

Nice thread and OP. This looks like fun, will probably grab at 800 pnts!. Always liked Snoopy and Peanuts. ;)

I don't mind the jump to dog-fighting(lololol) only cause if you're gonna do a Peanuts platformer you gotta go all out. Y'know Linus swinging off posts with his blanket and all that shit. Go to France, rescue people out of a burning house, then get a raft and cross some rapids, that sort of thing.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I don't mind the jump to dog-fighting(lololol) only cause if you're gonna do a Peanuts platformer you gotta go all out. Y'know Linus swinging off posts with his blanket and all that shit. Go to France, rescue people out of a burning house, then get a raft and cross some rapids, that sort of thing.

Don't forget the motocross racing!

rezuth

I was expecting a pretty epic singleplayer mode (which I guess it had at one point judging from the trailer) but I'll take anything.

Cardon

Rad- said:
Wait, so did they scratch the platforming elements? Nooooo.

Sadly they did but it was a money issue. Here's what SmartBomb Interactive VP Clark Stacey had to say about cutting the platforming elements:

Clark Stacey said:
This game was originally conceived as a massive, Ratchet and Clank-like action-adventure title that included that sort of action platforming. Unfortunately, we couldn’t convince publishers to get behind a game of that scope starring Snoopy, even though everything you saw in that trailer was fully playable and fully awesome. We figured we needed to start with a game that would reintroduce Snoopy and Peanuts to the under-30 gamers who didn’t grow up with them, and give players a taste of how great they are as game stars. So we approached our investors with the idea of licensing the Peanuts property ourselves, and we put in the time and money to create a game that would deliver the quality of a full retail game at a casual game price point.

For more insight into the game and to see a crapload of screens I suggest everyone check out this interview with Clark discussing the game.

Cardon said:
Sadly they did but it was a money issue. Here's what SmartBomb Interactive VP Clark Stacey had to say about cutting the platforming elements:

For more insight into the game and to see a crapload of screens I suggest everyone check out this interview with Clark discussing the game.

Thanks! Added to OP.

donny2112

comedy bomb said:
canceled Wii version,

There was going to be a Wii version? WiiWare, maybe?

The OP hints at it, but isn't 100% clear. Can you unlock the flying doghouse in the game?

Also, is there a thread about the "|OT|" stuff? It seemed to just start showing up one day, and I never saw a notice about requiring it or something.

donny2112 said:
There was going to be a Wii version? WiiWare, maybe?

The OP hints at it, but isn't 100% clear. Can you unlock the flying doghouse in the game?

Go on a nine-person killstreak in multiplayer and your plane turns into the doghouse with the most powerful machine gun in the game.

donny2112

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Go on a nine-person killstreak in multiplayer and your plane turns into the doghouse with the most powerful machine gun in the game.

Crap. It's multi-player (and a temporary unlock, at that) only? That could kill the game for me. :(

Jme

This is the same developer as Snoopy vs. The Red Baron (PS2/PSP) which was just OK... here's hoping they are gonna do a better job with this one? It looks nicer at least.

donny2112 said:
Crap. It's multi-player (and a temporary unlock, at that) only? That could kill the game for me. :(

That's what's mentioned in the Joystiq preview. To be honest I think that's great for multiplayer, as otherwise everyone would just be flying the goddamn doghouse. Would definitely be nice if its unlockable in single-player to screw around with, though.

donny2112 said:
Yeah with those guns. Couldn't it have just been an image swapout with a current plane, though, and keep all the current plane properties? It wouldn't have to tilt the board that much to let it be used, then.
It's definitely a bad idea with the guns, but even without, I think the screen would just be full of flying doghouses. :) How could you resist? There's already going to be a bunch of Snoopys flying around as it is.

donny2112

Joe Shlabotnik said:
To be honest I think that's great for multiplayer,

Yeah with those guns. Couldn't it have just been an image swapout with a current plane, though, and keep all the current plane properties? It wouldn't have to tilt the board that much to let it be used, then.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Would definitely be nice if its unlockable in single-player to screw around with, though.

Hope that turns out to be the case. :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Friend of hours worked on this as part of the art team, so yeah, bought :)

Top Bottom