• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snoopy Flying Ace |OT| Quaffing Root Beers With Bill Mauldin

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Gryphter said:
Is there a single player campaign in this? Preview in the OP makes it appear so

Reach the Single Player stuff by going to the "Enlist Now" option. Campaign offers single player missions (Like 18 or so?) Apparently a Co-Op offline Campaign, and splitscreen VS of some sort.

Gowans

shintoki said:
The Crimson Skies comments are making me want to buy =[
Like I said I honestly think it's better.

It maybe the number of players of the way the maps are set out it can seem like mayhem at times till you get you bearings & a plane & weapon set you like.

It's a steal at it's price.

U2NUMB

Played one match online.. once I switched my weapons it was a ton of fun. I really like the amount of stats they have on this game and it looks like a party like system.

For 10 bucks this game seems rock solid. Hope it has a strong community. Gonna pick it up later today.

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
This is brilliant.
If I loved Snoopy Flying Ace anymore it would be called bestiality.

Awesome stuff, comes highly recommended. And it gives you the chance to accidently run into Gowans007 while playing online. Extra bonus! :D

I want to like this game, and part of me wants to buy it if only for its Snoopy charm, but there just seems so little to keep a single player gamer occupied I can't do it. :(

If they'd chucked in a few AI wingmen just so you don't feel that its you against the world it wouldn't be so bad, at least you'd feel like a part of something. As it is its pretty much you against the world (the world in this case being ever increasing waves of enemy planes).

Damn you MP-Focused generation!!! *shakes fist*

Pakkidis

sionyboy said:
I want to like this game, and part of me wants to buy it if only for its Snoopy charm, but there just seems so little to keep a single player gamer occupied I can't do it. :(

If they'd chucked in a few AI wingmen just so you don't feel that its you against the world it wouldn't be so bad, at least you'd feel like a part of something. As it is its pretty much you against the world (the world in this case being ever increasing waves of enemy planes).

Damn you MP-Focused generation!!! *shakes fist*

Your not the only one, This game seems more like a multiplayer thing. The single player did not hold my attention.

Gowans

Just got myself on a mega run in a deathmatch game and got the doghouse killstreak reward.

Man that thing is a beast, it's machinegun helps you out so much, LOVE IT!!!

Jme

I really hope they bring this to PS3 based on these impressions... or that my xbox would magically start working again.

surly

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Just got myself on a mega run in a deathmatch game and got the doghouse killstreak reward.
Any tips for n00bs (i.e. me!)?

Great game BTW. Well worth 800 points!

Gowans

surly said:
Any tips for n00bs (i.e. me!)?

Great game BTW. Well worth 800 points!

I'm using the little quick plane with Shotgun for up close & Leech for distance, works a treat for me, everyones using a good mix of stuff at the mo tho so I guess just use what works fir you.

Oli

The trial is really fun, may buy it when I get some points. What are the non-dogfight mods like?

Kajiba

Oli said:
The trial is really fun, may buy it when I get some points. What are the non-dogfight mods like?

Pretty good. There is capture the flag, Dog pile(see who holds the bone the longest)with a team version of that and pig skin which is just airplane football.

Oli

Kajiba said:
Pretty good. There is capture the flag, Dog pile(see who holds the bone the longest)with a team version of that and pig skin which is just airplane football.

Is there a team based dogfighting game?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The one thing that makes me hesitant on this game is that it'll be a wasteland in 2 months in terms of online. Hmmmmmmm

Eric WK

Buying when I get home from work. Trying to convince all of my friends to do the same, but failing that, let's get some people together in a couple hours.

Kajiba

xbhaskarx said:
Bought, but I suck so far. More tips please!

Umm, if a leech missle is attached on you do a barrel roll to knock it off. Same with the squitos and any other weapon that sticks on you.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
forgeforsaken said:
Believe it was published by Microsoft.

Microsoft doesn't allow indie self-publishing on XBLA, and in exchange for that they "publish" about 50% of the games on XBLA themselves. They don't retain IP rights and developers are free to republish the games elsewhere after an exclusivity period.

Some examples you've heard of:
Braid
Castle Crashers

Kaldea

I played for a couple hours today with my fiance and it was great. :D I have a feeling tonight is gonna be an all-nighter. :lol

besiktas1

I am a king at the game!!!! :lol :lol Feel so pleased with myself :))) 1st time in a game I white washed opponents. 16 player battle. I won with 25 Kills - 1 Death, 2nd place had 7 kills. I was so pleased with my self. I decided to retire for the day.... as champion!

Kajiba

besiktas1 said:
I am a king at the game!!!! :lol :lol Feel so pleased with myself :))) 1st time in a game I white washed opponents. 16 player battle. I won with 25 Kills - 1 Death, 2nd place had 7 kills. I was so pleased with my self. I decided to retire for the day.... as champion!

:lol

Man, I still didn't get the doghouse yet = (. Always get to eight than get killed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played for an hour or two.

Matches were full, generally 16/16 or at least 10/16 players. 5000 single player and 3600 multiplayer leaderboard entries so far, so that's encouraging. Turrets feel a little overpowered in free for all matches but just about balanced in team matches. Haven't got a good feel for the different plane types yet. I've mainly been using light planes since I've primarily been matched into free for all (light plane -> dash to turret -> dominate) and team dogpile (light plane -> dash to dogbone).

I love the achievement tracking, extensive leaderboards, constant in-game feedback. I love the Blockhead and Woodstock and Doghouse in-game bonuses. I like that there's a revenge bonus. Very cool. The different rank titles are great.

I haven't even touched single player mode yet.

Also, watch the credits. Totally awesome. It's CB, Snoopy, and the gang at a pub quaffing some root beers and Snoopy is up to his usual hijinx!

Game is bloody amazing. I managed to get the doghouse, my avatar looks like a complete moron riding on it. Only reason I died is because I friggin got stuck in a cavern thing and couldn't get out. It took forever to die too, wall damage does almost nothing. The fucking doghouse is a BEAST. Takes soooo many hits, it's ridiculous.

BAM + The basic Homing Rockets whatever they are called + one of the healthier planes is an easy way to rack up kills.

Also I have no idea how anyone kills anything with the turret. It does no damage at all and is a huge friggin target, and easy to blow up. Woodstock rocks though, saved my ass so many times.

Tried the demo. I really like it a lot. I'm a aviation nut so this is pretty cool!

But I'm worried that there will be nobody playing online. But it seems like there's a single player game which is a bunch of missions through the levels.

It's probably shallow but at least it's something. To those who got this, is the single player campaign pretty good and varied?

Anyways, I'm getting just because I love flying and Snoopy! I haven't bought a XBLA game for awhile so this is refreshing.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Played the trail. Loving what I am seeing so far. Do I only get 30 minutes period to play or does it work to where I can only play 30 minute sessions (I know it is the former but I sooo want it to be the latter).

Snoopy doghouse is amazing (only a little too overpowered).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
Played for an hour or two.

Matches were full, generally 16/16 or at least 10/16 players. 5000 single player and 3600 multiplayer leaderboard entries so far, so that's encouraging. Turrets feel a little overpowered in free for all matches but just about balanced in team matches. Haven't got a good feel for the different plane types yet. I've mainly been using light planes since I've primarily been matched into free for all (light plane -> dash to turret -> dominate) and team dogpile (light plane -> dash to dogbone).

I love the achievement tracking, extensive leaderboards, constant in-game feedback. I love the Blockhead and Woodstock and Doghouse in-game bonuses. I like that there's a revenge bonus. Very cool. The different rank titles are great.

I haven't even touched single player mode yet.

Also, watch the credits. Totally awesome. It's CB, Snoopy, and the gang at a pub quaffing some root beers and Snoopy is up to his usual hijinx!

Well, I think that is the final straw. I'm getting it. It's only 800 points.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What impresses me is the commitment to multiplayer setups. There's split screen and four-way split for couch versus, there's offline splitscreen co-op missions, ONline split screen versus, Online split screen co-op, and even in offline multiplayer you can fill up the game with bots and all game types are available to offline players.

This is comprehensive shit that the big boys don't think is worth anyone's time in retail games. THE F**KING SNOOPY GAME.

Game also has a fabulously attractive art style and beautifully modeled characters and planes.

Finally, I can't believe how well it runs in a 16 player free for all where the entire screen is nothing but contrails, explosions, tracers, and flaming death.

Most of all though, and this goes back to the Crimson Sky similarities, I like how it's a dogfight game where the environment really matters, and each map is lovingly crafted with details, interactive elements, and strategies.

This is easily one of the top ten games on XBLA, if not in the top 5.

And to think, publishers turned down these guys' proposal to build an epic Ratchet and Clank style game out of this framework. Idiots.

(For those who don't know there's a 2 year old demo reel of Snoopy that involves landing the plane and running around on foot through air fortresses and over islands. It was a full action adventure with a multiplayer air combat game along for the ride. Nobody wanted it. Didn't think it'd sell.)

Gowans

Tried a coop game and I think it counts for your medals, lovley.

Man I hope this game "Takes Off" would love more of\like this.

Rad-

Finally tried the demo. Won with 25 kills, 6 deaths. The shotgun is a beast! Got like 20 kills with it. Light plane too so I'm faster.

Bought the game next. :D

Oh and GAF, go give this 5 stars on XBLA. It's now at 3.5 stars which is way wrong.

Hank The Tank said:
Game freezes quite often for me, anybody else having problems or is my box about die?

Yeah, it freezes for me fairly often as well. It usually happens when "joining game" is up on the screen. I dunno, I have a feeling my 360 is on it's last legs.

Top Bottom