• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fafnir

emacs said:
Genie is the dance-pop song from the South Korean group, SNSD.
lO0Bf.gif

I'll be sure to check out this SNSD group you speak of.

Alta1r

Fafnir said:
There's like 8 or 9 of them, but all I see are legs! O_O;

xuZKJ.gif
CxQBi.gif
WTCGB.gif

Lol, yeah this is one of the first MVs of them I saw, back when I couldn't tell Tiffany from Taengoo. Those legs didn't make things any easier.

emacs

Sealda said:
While in Korea i met a friend who claimed her brother/cousin or someone, had been a writer for shows and he had written the script for the talk shows, implying that even the talk shows are scripted ...

as others have mentioned, i suspect the interview questions were given to the guests beforehand. however, if the guest responses were written by a team of writers / producers, then it would give rise to suspicions those guests are not even half as witty, clever, insightful or articulate.

The questions/themes are definitely given in advance, since on other idol shows you can often see them memorising and elaborating stories for a laugh or rehearsing a special dance or what-not.

I always feel inadequate posting in this thread, because I never have any suitable gifs on hand to continue the theme.

:lol

emacs

CruxisMana said:
The questions/themes are definitely given in advance, since on other idol shows you can often see them memorising and elaborating stories ...

questions and themes would be understandable since pre-interviews are common (but not universal) for television talk programs. what i'm curious to know is whether the entirety of guest responses are written by a team of writers / producers. and, if so, who are the writers and whether the content has to be pre-screened by the entertainment companies or talent agencies.

Peru

The replies clearly aren't written for them, although for special games and role playing activities etc I'm sure some times it's a co-operation with the show writers.

Sealda

Banned
This girl claimed that exactly everything was scripted. She is touring Europe right now, so i will meet her next week, then i will ask her more detailed about it.

Simplified, she is that person outside the actual business who knows someone in the business who gossips for her. Of course, things tend to get exaggerated, its very possibly, she heard that everything is scripted as in "Questions already made up, everybody knows what to say". That does not mean that everything, EVERYTHING is scripted.

So basically, when i then asked "So exactly everything is scripted?" she said yes but i mean, to actually script exactly everything would be near impossibly unless it looked like this at the stage

obama-teleprompter-6th-grade1.png

However, the idols are professionals and it would not be that hard to remember a few funny lines. After all, in some shows, there can be 20 idols, waiting for their 3 minutes in the spot-light. To then, know you will receive 3 questions and you will have 3 answers to remember, is not exactly hard. Then again, not all shows are made up that way and in every show, there are certain idols who are always more loud and talkative. That would of course, be the idols who are naturally funny and who thrive in these environments. If you have nothing funny to say and if you are bad at coming up with jokes like that, you are probably the quiet type not giving much attention in the show.

There are people who believe exactly everything is scripted in for example Mnet Scandal. That the girls and boys the idols date are actors and that everything they do is scripted, i honestly do not believe so, since i know that netizens have afterwards stalked and bullied the fans online etc. However, there seem to be a certain type of people in korea, who are more into western culture and who despises k-pop and when you bring it up, they are sighing and are like "They are all fake, they have plastic surgery, everything is scripted, bla bla bla"

Peru

It's simply not possible for it to be scripted, for practical reasons, and it's also very obvious it isn't: Some idols are great at variety and talk shows, other aren't and fumble desperately for words the few seconds they get of screentime. So either she was wrong, or meant some specific shows and elements like sketches or whatnot.

emacs

Sealda said:
However, the idols are professionals and it would not be that hard to remember funny lines to say to certain questions ...

in which case, i'm just wondering who are the writers because it's apparent a number of them are quite clever.

... netizens have afterwards stalked and bullied [idols]

this is one thing that i find so peculiar about the culture of South Korean celebrities and their relationships (good or bad) with the public. i will never understand the measure that some people take to voice their approval or disapproval of what celebrities do, say or with whom they are seen together. those fans sure live up to their namesake: fanatics.

syoaran

Peru said:
It's simply not possible for it to be scripted, for practical reasons, and it's also very obvious it isn't: Some idols are great at variety and talk shows, other aren't and fumble desperately for words the few seconds they get of screentime. So either she was wrong, or meant some specific shows and elements like sketches or whatnot.

I think most people forget that idols don't have time to learn a script, or even time for prep work. The Agents handle everything before and after the show/interview/concert is recorded, and its these people that allow certain things or taboo others. Idol's get driven to the location, they have a few hours before to settle in+makeup, the show is recorded, then they get some rest and move onto the next item on their itinerary.
---------------
In Korea, more so in Seoul, Plastic surgery is like education. If you have the money, you pay for it to be done. There really isnt the negative connotation that there is in the greater world.

Sealda

Banned
I do not think everything is scripted. She heard from an insider this and that, how everything is scripted etc. Everything is scripted but not exactly everything is scripted. I would not be surprised to find though that the interviews in WGM are scripted for instance. Most stuff in k-pop however is well planned. We all know that Laguna Beach is scripted 100 %. For us who speaks english, its kinda easy to see how fake that show is and especially if your a native speaker (i am not), imagine then if a korean watched Laguna Beach i am sure the only thing that would make them suspicious is the fact that the cameras are always located very convenient (We follow person A in a car, person A then calls person B spontaneously and all of sudden there is a camera team with person B when he answers; LOL).

emacs said:
in which case, i'm just wondering who are the writers because it's apparent a number of them are quite clever.

I guess, they are part of the hidden k-pop profiles.

this is one thing that i find so peculiar about the culture of South Korean celebrities and their relationships (good or bad) with the public. i will never understand the measure that some people take to voice their approval or disapproval of what celebrities do, say or with whom they are seen together. those fans sure live up to their namesake: fanatics.

Fascinating is the mythical die hard netizens who are supposed to know everything about the idols. During the Jay Park scandal, some of these netizens published their findings. However, its hard to verify wether or not this true or if its antizens. The stuff they had "found out" made the whole 2PM beside like Nickhun (who according to them smoked) to look like completely douche bags.

Peru

Writers for both variety shows like Running Man (which treads the line between improvised theater and game show) and talk shows are always sat underneath the cameras - you see them in most episodes. There's a peculiar (perhaps not that surprising) culture in Korean TV where the vast majority of writers / scriptwriters in both variety and dramas are female, while the directors are male. So most of these writers are women.

Sealda

Banned
Peru said:
Writers for both variety shows like Running Man (which treads the line between improvised theater and game show) and talk shows are always sat underneath the cameras - you see them in most episodes. There's a peculiar (perhaps not that surprising) culture in Korean TV where the vast majority of writers / scriptwriters in both variety and dramas are female, while the directors are male. So most of these writers are women.

I had no idea, interesting.

Peru

Whenever a new drama is announced I head to hancinema to check the credits, and 99 times out of 100 it's a male director and female scriptwriter. Only show I can think of right now with a female director is 'All My Love', coincidentally one of the better ones.

Ashhong

The shows are scripted in the sense that yes, the questions and answers are thought up ahead of time. However I don't think that literally the entire show is scripted, which should be very obvious while watching a show like Running Man or something. There is just too much improvisation in it. But often, the MC will ask something like "so I heard you went to this place and this happened?" and the idol will have the story ready and they will talk about it and the MC will make some jokes etc etc. No different from American talk shows.

syoaran

Peru said:
Whenever a new drama is announced I head to hancinema to check the credits, and 99 times out of 100 it's a male director and female scriptwriter. Only show I can think of right now with a female director is 'All My Love', coincidentally one of the better ones.

Wasnt "Coffee Prince" directed by a woman as well?

Salazar

The scripting that gets me is for stuff like MC Fany and MC Yuri's Music Core banter.

It's excruciatingly terrible. It's also awesome, in a goofy way. I don't notice it in other variety shows, really.

Ashhong

Salazar said:
The scripting that gets me is for stuff like MC Fany and MC Yuri's Music Core banter.

It's excruciatingly terrible. It's also awesome, in a goofy way. I don't notice it in other variety shows, really.

Not really a variety show..

keuja

Alta1r said:
Lol, yeah this is one of the first MVs of them I saw, back when I couldn't tell Tiffany from Taengoo. Those legs didn't make things any easier.

I couldn't tell Yuri from Yoona lol. And for some reason at the time I didn't find Yoona or Taeyon particularly attractive 0_o.

Alta1r

keuja said:
I couldn't tell Yuri from Yoona lol. And for some reason at the time I didn't find Yoona or Taeyon particularly attractive 0_o.

Haha, yeah, Yoona and Yuri kind of blended into one for me as well. As did Taeyeon and Jessica and Tiffany, mainly cause I thought those three were attractive at first glance, but then couldn't remember any of their faces, so whenever I saw an attractive one I couldn't remember which one I was seeing. The only one I knew for a fact was a different person was Hyo cause I didn't understand how she made the cut, lol.

Now that I can actually ID them though, it's all about:
188532_10150117267773567_205806848566_6331824_6301839_n.jpg
yoon.jpg

Salazar

Ashhong said:
Not really a variety show..

True. Ignore the word 'other'.

0OzEk.gif

Cw9hp.gif

Edit: Removed a picture of Taengoo that I realised, after looking at it for a bit, had been photoshopped so that she had no jaw.

Kyon

Banned
Like 10 pages back I posted a pic saying it was YoonA and Salazar corrected me (it was Yuri). 5 years and I STILL mixed those two up every now and then :( YoonA is my bias so I'm even more ashamed

Alta1r

Salazar said:
Edit: Removed a picture of Taengoo that I realised, after looking at it for a bit, had been photoshopped so that she had no jaw.

Lol, what?? Put it back up, this sounds interesting.

Salazar

Alta1r said:
Lol, what?? Put it back up, this sounds interesting.

The flat appearance around her jawline (or where one should be) just looks off to me. I could be wrong.

59EWV.jpg

Biscuits said:
How did he get banned?

I think he might have been caught up in some thread where people were just posting LIAM NEESON, one after the other, and a bunch of them got banned.

O7xBC.jpg
zZiK9.jpg

Alta1r

Salazar said:
The flat appearance around her jawline (or where one should be) just looks off to me. I could be wrong.

59EWV.jpg

Yeah that does look kind of goofy. I think they airbrushed it a little bit too much around the jawline, to the point that it almost looks like her neck just keeps going into her face, lol.

im-yoon-ah_17083.jpg

Biscuits

What a way to go. Hopefully not a perma.

Hmm, its probably an optical illusion. Why would someone photoshop that? Jaw lines can be sexy, lol.

Also I haven't really been following Rainbow before, but the constant spamming of Jisook and others in here made me go check them out. Sweet Dream is now stuck in my head...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
GODDESS MODE ACTIVATE

OW8uT.jpg

My sexy wifey.

E5Z0D.jpg

UWR0Y.jpg

Kamilia say she is latina again lol.

aoac2.jpg

6tBlq.jpg

USipD.gif

C4vGQ.gif

mzYBx.gif

5efLo.jpg

K5fEk.jpg

Cn52C.jpg

PnIwa.jpg

Ks9zX.jpg

Salazar

I kind of hope there are some new variety shows in the pipeline. I don't know how the ratings situation is over there, and how much of a gamble new stuff is, though.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Old?

EL63b.jpg

T-ara has announced that they’ll be releasing a ‘Eurodance’ version of their hit track, ”Roly-Poly“.

This ‘Eurodance’ version will give a chic and trendy twist to the retro-flavored song. The concept is said to be “Friend! Where are you now?“, an idea that strongly implies ’summer vacation’. With its fun rhythm and bright musical accents, this new version of “Roly-Poly” aims to be the perfect summer track.

T-ara is also preparing a remake of retro hit, “Round and Round“, for their follow-up promotions, which will be released on August 16th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom