• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

panda21 said:
you maniac!

5cNsW.gif

panda21 said:
what are you doing? watch it in order!

Ve1Is.gif

panda21 said:
aaaaaaaaa

dKwkC.gif

panda21

I don't know how much you know about Korean culture (I'm an expert) but formal and informal speech is a huge part of it.

Age plays a big role in it, how much older than you someone is determines how rude they can be speaking to you.

Ashhong

Salazar said:
What is it with "informal speech" ?

Is it genuinely a big deal ?

Its huge. Like, insanely huge. People get scolded all the time on shows for using informal speech when they shouldnt be.

When SNSD first came out, Tiffany got a lot of hate, a lot, for using informal speech often. This was back when she didn't fully understand the Korean culture.

Tristam

Salazar said:
What is it with "informal speech" ?

Is it genuinely a big deal ?

If you're referring to banmal (which literally means "half-speak"), it's a HUGE FUCKING DEAL in Korean society. As a general rule, Koreans only use banmal when addressing close friends, some family members (e.g., some parents are OK with their kids using banmal towards them; others aren't), children, animals, and mentally retarded people. Oh, and for about 20~30% of the population, add foreigners to that list as well.

Otherwise, a Korean might use banmal toward another Korean if he was looking to instigate a fight, 'cuz I've personally seen fisticuffs thrown down just because one man used banmal toward another man.

Wazzim

Banned
Tristam said:
If you're referring to banmal (which literally means "half-speak"), it's a HUGE FUCKING DEAL in Korean society. As a general rule, Koreans only use banmal when addressing close friends, some family members (e.g., some parents are OK with their kids using banmal towards them; others aren't), children, animals, and mentally retarded people. Oh, and for about 20~30% of the population, add foreigners to that list as well.

Otherwise, a Korean might use banmal toward another Korean if he was looking to instigate a fight, 'cuz I've personally seen fisticuffs thrown down just because one man used banmal toward another man.
Holy shit, fucking idiotic.

Tristam

panda21 said:
just stick a yo on the end of everything and you're fine

i can see why they like hip hop so much yo

Haha, well, there are different levels of jeondaemal (the polite form of speaking) as well. Especially when you're asking that someone do something, it's much safer to use the highest forms of speech (e.g. kaseyo or kajuseyo rather than kayo; also, use 'kapshida' for 'let's go'.)

Salazar

Thanks. Interesting stuff. It was just Taewoo telling Goo-Hara off for informal speech, and the way he said it made it sound like it was important.

NeR1u.gif

Swjs4.gif

u1vco.gif

P0ajq.png

Edit: Yuri likes Jo Insung, from "A Dirty Carnival". Awesome.

Ashhong

panda21 said:
just stick a yo on the end of everything and you're fine

i can see why they like hip hop so much yo

That's exactly what I was going to say haha

Also, Seohyuns tone of voice when trying to force herself to speak in banmal in Happy Together is HILARIOUS

Sunny likes Jo Insung too. Wants to be in a fake marriage with him.

X-Frame

This informal-speech is interesting to me .. can someone give any examples? Is it what you say or how you say what you say .. or neither .. ?

Tristam

X-Frame said:
This informal-speech is interesting to me .. can someone give any examples? Is it what you say or how you say what you say .. or neither .. ?

Generally speaking it's based on how you conjugate verbs in Korean, although it also has to do (slightly less so, in my experience) with adding particles to their respective parts of speech (e.g., after 'topic' words, Koreans place topic particles, which would be '-eun' or '-neun' depending on whether the word ends in a consonant or vowel; likewise, they finish objects off with '-leul' or '-eul'.)

What you say is most important, but the 'how you say it' must also be taken into account. I guess it's still possible to rudely yell a polite phrase like "[place] kajuseyo" (please go to [place]).

Fafnir said:
Seohyun is so upright that she can't speak using banmal. Seohyun trying to speak banmal in Happy Together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTlx0oORWnU#t=37s

Here's the Banmal song that Seohyun's hubby Yongwha wrote for her in WGM.

Banmal Song

iZOmU.gif

Urgh. Korean pizza. Gag reflex activated! Hope you don't like sauce on your pizza, 'cuz they put only a drop of it on while loading the pizza with things like mayonnaise, sweet potato, corn, and mustard.

X-Frame

Is that sort of like Japanese where they end names with -san, or -kun?

My knowledge of Japanese is limited to Dragonball Z sub-titles. :D

Ashhong

X-Frame said:

A good example is in that Happy Together linked above with Seohyun. The segment where they have the water shooting in their faces? Everyone has to speak in informal speech. Compare that talk to other parts. Of course it probably isn't easy to compare if you dont know Korean, but you can probably recognize some words.

X-Frame said:
Is that sort of like Japanese where they end names with -san, or -kun?

My knowledge of Japanese is limited to Dragonball Z sub-titles. :D

That's definitely one part of banmal. For example you add "shi" to the end of a name to make it more formal, like Hyori-Shi turns in into Ms Hyori. There's also the "yo" thats added, like..."bap muguh suh?" vs "bap muguh suhyo"? Pardon my spelling, but that yo makes "did you eat?" formal (though still not the most formal way of saying it)

Salazar

Ashhong said:
I guess that was in their basement? lol Probably no A/C down there so they dont want to lose any of that cool air lol.

I guess.

lol at Yuri and Sunny being prepared with make-up on and pretending to sleep.

Goo-Hara is killing this talent show for the elders. Tumbling, a bribe of sweets, and dancing the twist.

Edit: Yuri - "Elders, you like butts, right ? I'll write my name with my butt."

Uhhhhhh...

Fafnir

I like the part in IY ep1 when Taewoo is doing all the manual labor and is like, "I think I got tricked into doing this show." :lol

The phone calls at the end of the first episode are tearjerkers.

Salazar

Fafnir said:
I like the part in IY ep1 when Taewoo is doing all the manual labor and is like, "I think I got tricked into doing this show." :lol

Goo-Hara: "Isn't it nice, being around girl idols ?"
Taewoo: "It was nice for exactly three hours".

IY really does bring out what's awesome about Sunny. Yuri too, but especially Sunny.

Salazar

The "as expected" thing in IY is killing me.

Every time someone does something stupid or wrong or weird, it's "HAHAHAHAHA, AS EXPECTED FROM _____________"

lol Narsha's rap. "Everyday I grate radishes, yo".

panda21

yeah i noticed that, it must be a very common phrase in Korean because they say 'as expected' all the time.

watching this stuff really does help with learning korean lol. thats my excuse anyway

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I also like how they say "____ is no joke" and their definition of "cool" is actually cool, more than some arbitrary value judgment.

Ashhong

Salazar said:
The "as expected" thing in IY is killing me.

Every time someone does something stupid or wrong or weird, it's "HAHAHAHAHA, AS EXPECTED FROM _____________"

lol Narsha's rap. "Everyday I grate radishes, yo".

have you seen the dance they do after they make a good pun? lol best thing ever. you've probably seen that from other episodes though. its no joke

im going to use "its no joke" a lot now. lets make it a thing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What do these girls get up to on their days off?

Also, where do they live, what time do they go to sleep, and does anybody have any floor plans?

Salazar

EatChildren said:

lol. Sleep, I think. They get spotted shopping every so often.

CLnk9.gif

2wn0O.gif

aIGhU.gif

IY: They just visited a grandma, and asked if she watched tv. She said yes, but it had a lot of static. The tv was all static. :(

Ashhong

EatChildren said:

Also, where do they live, what time do they go to sleep, and does anybody have any floor plans?

They sleep. Live in Korea. Sleep at 2am.

Salazar said:
IY: They just visited a grandma, and asked if she watched tv. She said yes, but it had a lot of static. The tv was all static. :(

Life for the elderly in Korea is so sad. But that part gets better in the next episode I think :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Salazar said:
I never knew that G.O.D. stood for Groove OverDose.
They actually put it in all lowercase so as not to offend anyone with possibly blasphemous impressions.

Ashhong

Peru said:
Life for the elderly in Korea seems pretty sweet. Too sweet, everyone pandering to em.

Maybe if they still live with family. Otherwise I think it looks pretty rough. They have to fend for themselves, walk back and forth to the market, maybe work on the farm until they're 80...do not want.

Peru

Ashhong said:
Maybe if they still live with family. Otherwise I think it looks pretty rough. They have to fend for themselves, walk back and forth to the market, maybe work on the farm until they're 80...do not want.

Most people live in cities, though.

Tristam

Peru said:
Life for the elderly in Korea seems pretty sweet. Too sweet, everyone pandering to em.

It would seem that way, but elderly Koreans commit suicide at higher rates than the elderly anywhere else in the world. (Granted, the same holds true for the general population here as well.) Retirement pensions here are generally very weak, so the elderly remain wholly dependent on their children for the remainder of their lives. If the children die, are unsuccessful, or give little or no support to their parents, then the elderly do some menial tasks to support themselves. It's a common sight to see them (men and women both) digging through garbage bags to pull out recyclables and then carting them off in some rickety wheelbarrow or wagon. It's sad stuff to see.

Money earned from commercials (CFs) in 2010 by Korean entertainers:

Top 20 - Males
1. Seo Taeji - ₩ 2 billion ($1.7 million USD)
2. Big Bang - ₩ 1.1 billion ($983,400 USD)
3. Rain - ₩ 1 billion ($894,000 USD)
4. TOP - ₩ 900 million ($804,600 USD)
5. Jo Insung - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
6. Jang Donggun - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
7. Bae Yongjoon - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
8. So Jisub - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
9. JYJ - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
10. 2PM - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
11. Won Bin - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
12. Song Seunghun - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
13. Jung Woosung - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
14. Nichkhun - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
15. Lee Minho - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
16. Hyun Bin - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
17. SS501 - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
18. Daniel Henney - ₩ 650 million ($581,100 USD)
19. Yoo Jaesuk - ₩ 600 million ($536,400 USD)
20. Kang Dongwon - ₩ 600 million ($536,400 USD)

Top 20 - Females
1. Lee Youngae - ₩ 1.1 billion ($1.07 million USD)
2. Go Hyunjung - ₩ 1 billion ($894,000 USD)
3. Kim Taehee - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
4. Jeon Jihyun - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
5. Wonder Girls - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
6. 2NE1 - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
7. After School - ₩ 800 million ($715,200 USD)
8. Lee Hyori - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
9. Go Soyoung - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
10. Lee Nayoung - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
11. Lee Miyeon - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
12. Song Hyegyo - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
13. Moon Geunyoung - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
14. Han Gain - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
15. SNSD - ₩ 700 million ($625,800 USD)
16. Jang Mihee - ₩ 600 million ($536,400 USD)
17. Kim Heeae - ₩ 600 million ($536,400 USD)
18. Kim Namjoo - ₩ 600 million ($536,400 USD)
19. Ha Jiwon - ₩ 600 million ($536,400 USD)
20. Han Yeseul - ₩ 600 million ($536,400 USD)

Edit. This is money earned before the entertainment company takes their cut.

Ashhong

Peru said:
Most people live in cities, though.

True, guess I'm thinking more of the elderly in small farm areas. Although to me, it seems like the elderly in general in Korea do more and/or have a harder time than over here. I'm mostly talking out of my ass though.

Salazar said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxDICkYcuuQ&feature=related

I know there is an Eunhyuk fanbase.

Seungyeon is GORGEOUS, dammit.

Right here! Dude is no joke.

Completely disagree about Seungyeon though. She has a scrunched up face all the time that bugs me. Uee on the other hand can get it any day of the week. I had never heard of or seen her before this show. She is beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom