• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNSD and K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
BoA stans are the worst, they're literally stuck in 2003.
No we aren't. We don't need to be delusional because in the end of the day the true Kween of Kpop is BoA and you will stay mad at the true tea

Biscuits

Phew, hopefully this means they won't be dancing on stage in Victorian dresses. And remember guys, the actual single is gonna sound nothing like this teaser.

vordhosbn

Banned
Ashhong said:
na3Vv.jpg

Damn the girls look good here. Is that Sunny on the third from the left? Why does it look like shes scratching her leg
lol.gif

edit: oh, shes sitting
Taeyeon should be in the middle, she's the leader after all. Getting tired of the hyperbolic treatment of Yoona.

Overall I like their image, and blurry Hyoyeon looks promising. Despite all the jokes I think she's getting hotter.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Peru said:
Their performance of "Nobody" on SYTYCD was the single most damaging setback for k-pop's growth internationally.
Yeah, I had like 20 friends who were interested in kpop then that aired and there were only 3 left.

vanty

Wow SM spent more than $17 on a video? And they're not all wearing identical clothing? Learning something from YG it seems.

Dice

Ranvier said:
Why, what happened?
I don't know, I'm just being a jackass. Peru is the one making crazy claims about something inoffensive and utterly inconsequential in the scope of kpop's explosive popularity worldwide.

Alta1r said:
Man, I kind of want to see Sones infiltrate the audience for a Soshi SYTYCD. Fan chants on American TV anyone? lol

SNSD won't work in the west without some severe changes.

Nobody wants to see 9 girls miming and making cute faces.

Alta1r

vordhosbn said:
Taeyeon should be in the middle, she's the leader after all. Getting tired of the hyperbolic treatment of Yoona.

Overall I like their image, and blurry Hyoyeon looks promising. Despite all the jokes I think she's getting hotter.

Did you see that Yoona teaser? Ain't nothing hyperbolic about putting her in the middle. Although I do agree that Taengoo should get one of the power positions i.e. flanking Yoong in the middle or the poles. Not sure how Hyo pulled that one off.
Blurry Hyo looks promising precisely because the pic is blurry.

Narolf

Banned
Alta1r said:
Man, I kind of want to see Sones infiltrate the audience for a Soshi SYTYCD. Fan chants on American TV anyone? lol
Phonomezer said:

I would see Run Devil Run on western TV just fine.

vanty

America already had the Pussycat Dolls, they don't need another group with one or two singers and several backup dancers.

Alta1r

Phonomezer said:

Lol, yeah I don't think they'd work out here either, but I want to see the massive Sone uprising that would occur if they made it onto a show. You know there'd be people flying in from across the country and camping out for days and all that. I can hear David Attenborough narrating the documentary already lol.

Dice

Getting around to music bank stuff...

Kara is super sexy, as expected of Kara.

WTF happened to Kan Miyoun's hair?!

OMG Yewon is so pretty I'm going to eat my pillow! KYAAAHHH!! <3333

Ranvier

vanty said:
America already had the Pussycat Dolls, they don't need another group with one or two singers and several backup dancers.

Its not the group that's the issue, it's the massive cultural differences. A group of 9 girls where only 3 of em can really sing have no place in the American music scene. People would wonder what the others were doing there. It seems like in Korea, mildly pretty people can get famous by piggybacking onto real singers even if they themselves have no discernible skills. Take Yoona for example, her whole shtick
of "am I a human or an alien or 12?"
just wouldn't work in the States. She can't sing and is a average dancer (with years of practice, like Yoona had, I'm sure any of us can be just as good at dancing). Americans won't stand for that shit. This is also why variety shows wouldn't work in America. For the average person, no one cares to see the celebrities participating in random challenges like in RM. People would wonder why 8 guys are regularly on the show when there isn't any cash prize on the line. Korea is interesting because a lot of the singers are all around entertainers as well; acting, MCing, etc. Over here things are very segregated. I mean sure, its possible to be popular with no talent in America too, you just have to release a Sex Tape.

I don't think SNSD will ever truly be popular in America but they seem to have more then enough English speaking fans that I'm still wishing for an all English album. Though recently, I've realized, there are only a few Kpop songs I can listen to without the accompanying music video (Epik high, Fan, Your Out, Roly Poly to name a few). I don't like any SNSD songs without the MV or some sort of picture montage. Could it be that I only like SNSD because its a bunch of pretty girls?????

Speaking of RM, finally got to see my first episode of it yesterday. It was the Yoona Sunny one. The show is okay, I like IY a lot better. Mainly because it had more girls on it and I just thought it was funnier overall. I may need to watch more episodes for it to grow on me.

vanty

Ranvier said:
Could it be that I only like SNSD because its a bunch of pretty girls?????
Yes ahah. Though if you only want to see "pretty girls" I'd have thought Rainbow or something would be much better than SNSD.

Biscuits

Ranvier said:
Could it be that I only like SNSD because its a bunch of pretty girls???
Probably, though for me catchy/impressive choreography also has a lot to do with why I like kpop. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, man.

Niks

SNSD will never be mainstream.

I mean yeah, they fill up stadiums everywhere they go, but they will never have a hit song on American, European or South American charts or radio.
Well, never is a harsh word, but its highly unlikely.

Dice

vanty said:
Yes ahah. Though if you only want to see "pretty girls" I'd have thought Rainbow or something would be much better than SNSD.
The way you say this almost makes it seem like you don't think Rainbow is better than SNSD in every way possible.

vanty

Dice said:
The way you say this almost makes it seem like you don't think Rainbow is better than SNSD in every way possible.
Well I do think that "Rainbow is better than SNSD in every way possible", no need to worry ahah.

Ashhong

vordhosbn said:

Despite us and everyone calling Taeyeon the leader, hasn't she said multiple times that she doesn't like being called that and doesn't consider herself the leader?

Niks

Ashhong said:
Despite us and everyone calling Taeyeon the leader, hasn't she said multiple times that she doesn't like being called that and doesn't consider herself the leader?

Well maybe she doesn't like being the leader in title, but shes the leader in meaning.
She talks on behalf of the group most of times and shes the one that receives big awards and stuff...

And I guess it helps that she can actually, you know, sing. Shes the groups best voice.

Alta1r

Dice said:

Jealousy through your veins! Don't hate on Soshi cause they're more popular than all your favorite K-poppers combined. It's like the '96 bulls. We got MJ (Yoona), Pippen (Taengoo), errbody else that knows their role and Luc Longley aka the Hyogre (ugly but serves a purpose). Soshi's taking names and kickin' asses and that's just the way it is.

Dice

Alright y'all, bedtime for &#46384;&#51060;&#49828;

&#51096;&#51088;, &#51339;&#51008; &#45000; &#45012;~

Conceptor

Dice said:
Soyeon/Qri
JYPheadturn.gif

DS: If you had to choose between Gil and Yoo Jae Suk as a partner to star in variety shows, who would you choose?
Gary: If I had to hurt the feelings of one of them to be able to work in this industry, then I choose to not work as an entertainer, period.
Source

Hell yeah, Gary.

HX8vy.jpg

That deserves a Taengoo brofist.

2NE1 TV S3E11 - so good. Should start watching Heroes sometime too

vanty

Conceptor said:
2NE1 TV E3S11 - so good. Should start watching Heroes sometime too
I downloaded the first 14 episodes of Heroes in like the first week of September, got kind of addicted ahah. The women are all awesome except for Seo In Young who just complains and bitches about everything.

Peru

Jessica n Hara http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uVJxandnkM

vanty said:

Five http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2HweNEnQaA

Dice said:
Yeah, I had like 20 friends who were interested in kpop then that aired and there were only 3 left.

Talking about the industry side of things. AFter that completely lifeless performance of a bland song on American prime time those opportunites won't come easily again for another k-pop group.

America's has its hands full with School Gyrls, so i don't know how SNSD can compete.

It would be funny is SNSD charted higher than the Wonder Girls on the Billboard charts without any promotion. JYP would have a meltdown.

Peru

That won't happen, of course. Nobody charting in the top 100 was impressive - and down to his thorough efforts to make it work. Landing those tv spots, going on tour with tween heroes -- impressive. All the work behind the scenes was sort of nullified because of the song he chose to launch them with, though.

Dice

Well, despite our probable sensibilities, their new album is being put together in collab with at least will.i.am and JYP has said other "top" american producers as well. You think they'll do better second time around?

...man, School Gyrls is so sloppy, even by American tween standards...

Peru

School Gyrlz are like those k-pop rookie groups who never get past the first single.

Dice said:
Well, despite our probable sensibilities, their new album is being put together in collab with at least will.i.am and JYP has said other "top" american producers as well. You think they'll do better second time around?

...man, School Gyrls is so sloppy, even by American tween standards...

Isn't will.i.am just with 2NE1? I think it's wise to give other producers the reins, but top producers have worked with Asian stars before and not given them a US hit. They need to get something unique going, not just an american rnb imitation. One unfortunate thing about Nobody is it didn't give them any opportunities to do what k-pop is known for: the explosive live performance, the in-your-face-ness. Can't let the retro come in the way of the moves.
BoA danced like a mofo but her sound was just Britney 2.0 (solid album but no real reason for people to give up their American stars for it).

Alta1r

wing_zero8556 said:
dont tell me they are gonna release 8 separate teaser videos for each girl

I hope they do, at least a separate one for Taengoo and Sica. And Fany for Sal in his exile.

Also, what is a ELF and a cassie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom