• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Civilization 7,that will release in 2025,will be last gen compatible with PS4/X1 and yes..Nintendo Switch.Why??Man this gen is crap

Klik

Game is gonna be released in 2025 which is almost 5 YEARS since this gen started. So basically CIV 7 is 4x strategy game that relies on good CPU,fast RAM and SSD. And it will be made in mind with Nintendo Switch as lowest denominator,old slow CPU,slow 4gb DDR3 RAM and slow HDD. Especially after waiting for 9 years for new CIV. Say goodbye to all wishes about actually having good AI,faster turns and overall proper modern 4x strategy game etc.What a disappointment..

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Game is gonna be released in 2025 which is almost 5 YEARS since this gen started. So basically CIV 7 is 4x strategy game that relies on good CPU,fast RAM and SSD. And it will be made in mind with Nintendo Switch as lowest denominator,old slow CPU,slow 4gb DDR3 RAM and slow HDD. Especially after waiting for 9 years for new CIV. Say goodbye to all wishes about actually having good AI,faster turns and overall proper modern 4x strategy game etc.What a disappointment..
That probably just means it’ll be super scalable (and will likely run at like 15fps on Switch). That doesn’t mean the entire game will somehow be bad or without significant advancements.

I think we should wait and see before we jump to any conclusions.

Hudo

Chill the fuck out, dude. Wait till they show the actual game. Literally the only thing they have shown and said so far is the fucking title art. And a short video with Sid Meier being the hypemaster (Sid Meier is probably not involved with the game anyway).

And also: They had more then enough opportunities to fix AI or work on the turn times (Civ 5, Civ 6) and didn't do shit. What makes you think that it could've been different this time if it weren't for the Switch?

Last edited:
I doubt it is really that far ahead in graphics or performance than CIV6 or CIV5. And I think both of them was on Switch.

xrnzaaas

Doesn't Civ 6 already have a problem on the consoles with handling late game on bigger maps?

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
What does it matter? If game good, and sells well on all platforms, then we get 8. 🤷‍♂️

Cross gen well always be a thing given dev cost and needed ROI. Get used to it.

sh1Ll29.jpeg

OuterLimits

Probably because Civilization 6 sold extremely well on Switch and apparently far exceeded their initial expectations. It also released on Switch before other consoles.

Having Civ 7 launching soon to the likely Switch 2 is great. I know what game I will be playing a bunch on the new system.

Yea that's wild. That's actually a downgrade from civ6. Hell Civ 5 actually pushed PC hardware through GPU compute at the time.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
LMAO do you even know what Civilization is OP

Why wouldn't it run on something like a Switch
The faster your CPU, the faster it takes for the AI to finish its turn. If the mechanics are so complex that they take require of a modern CPU, this means the Switch would take minutes to complete a single turn, suggesting that the AI, overall game complexity, and scope won’t improve, else they would have ditched those shitty mobile CPUs. This is to say nothing of the map size, units, physics, and interactions.

Civ VII is effectively a last-gen game that’s unlikely to expand much in terms of scope, scale, and complexity.

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't think Civilization was a game that was going to use Nvidia's Tensor cores for the AI or something. The simulation in Civ isn't that complex LOL

Anyways it also needs to run on absolute potato PC's and those have really shitty CPU's too so maybe leave the Switch alone on this

Last edited:

Doczu

Yo, talking about Civ on consoles - how is the Ps4 port if Civ 6? Does it play good late game ona Pro? Got a potato laptop, so try the port.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think everyone wants last gen to end, clearly it’s not an emotional thing I spoke with someone who still plays on 7th generation.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Let's wait to see the game before we make rash judgements. Of all the types of game that can scale, strategy games are probably the ones that lend themselves most to it. I'm sure on modern hardware it will look glorious and load instantly.

Ozzie666

People are pretty happy to lose money, when it's not theirs. When the last generation is still profitable, when the Switch is a sales monster. Why wouldn't you? Do you want to go broke? It's really no different than scaling a PC game now.

bender

What time is it?
Given the wide audience it caters too, PC is probably the lowest common denominator even compared to the Switch.

not worried, just give me a more serious art style and better AI and online and I’m fine, if this runs at like 20fps on the switch I can run it at 144hz on PC so we are all good!

Shifty1897

Civ has always ran on potato hardware. The turns may take forever on Switch but there's really nothing about a turn based strategy game with board game graphics that requires ray tracing and 60 fps.

LakeOf9

As someone who’s played Civ since Civ 2, I’m fucking glad they’re putting it on everything. These games are awesome and scale really well across devices. No need to artificially limit availability.

If you want quick late game turns, I assume SSD enabled systems will be better at it. But let’s be honest, this has been an issue since at least Civ 4 and they haven’t fixed it all this time. I doubt being on Switch is the reason they won’t this time either lol

You wouldn’t have liked the late 80s/early 90s OP - often games were released on Spectrum, Amstrad, C64, Atari ST, Amiga, IBM PC, various consoles and Acorn/Mac - and even in arcades.

Not always the same playing experience though tbf.

Red5

It's not really a problem, graphics are scalable on PC so they can run on 5 years if not older PC. Those scalable assets will be used for previous generation consoles, Diablo 4 on PC and PS5 are graphically affected by having a PS4 version.

gerth666

So it's going to scale across lots of hardware, so even more people get to play it. That's a good thing. Can't wait for the new civ

Tsaki

Yeah, the hope was for better AI, more mechanics, expanded gameplay options and so on.

If it’s even on the Switch it’s not going to be much more than current Civ. Which is unfortunate.
"Good" AI is a software and player satisfaction problem, not hardware.

LimanimaPT

I haven't seen a Civ game for ages, but wouldn't this type of game run on a 480 pentium? Why not run on a ps4 or switch?
I don't get the complaint...

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Or maybe the new gen is so underwhelming that not a lot of features would need to get cut back to work on old hardware. Face it, PS5 and xsx came to market way too early, with way too little.

Also... It's civilization. What else can they do beyond shorter turn times?

winjer

Gold Member
At this point one would expect that Firaxis would use trained AI, running on tensor cores, an NPU or DP4A.
Not just a bunch of if statements and branches, that some guy wrote.

Woopah

As far as I can tell, Hogwarts Legacy and Mortal Kombat One looked good on current gen consoles even though they were on Switch.

Ultimately publishers want to benefit from strong software sales.

Wildebeest

At this point one would expect that Firaxis would use trained AI, running on tensor cores, an NPU or DP4A.
Not just a bunch of if statements and branches, that some guy wrote.
Have you seen anyone with even a very simple game, that never gets balance patches and new content, do that?

darrylgorn

Civilization is a CPU intensive game, so OP is correct in that the same game would heavily burden lower spec systems. In fact, Civ 6 was stressing newer PCs when it first came out.

That said, there's nothing stopping the developer from making customized versions of the game based on each platform.

I'm probably leaning closer the OP on this though, just without any of the anger or resentment.

Considering the following:

1. How these types of strategy games are sold these days, with the ala cart add-ons piled on, draining our wallets for the 'official experience', years after release

and

2. Do we really need another Civ game? How much different could the experience be, visually or gameplay wise?

I'm inclined to think that this game is going to be a cash in.

But we'll see.

Hudo

Are you expecting Civ 7 to still use just a bunch of if statements, not proper modern AI?
what is "proper modern AI"? A neural network? AGI? Both, even at inference, require a good amount of resources that you have to spare in your time you've got to render a frame, which is, for 60 fps approx 16ms, in which all of your systems have to complete their shit that's relevant.

And a "bunch of if statements" is basically what a neural network is anyway. You've got just sequence of affine functions + a non-linear activation functions. And then you've got the issue of not being fully able to control/explain the output of your network, which makes it harder to design the "AI" to be fun to play against.
A "perfect opponent" is not fun to play against.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
what is "proper modern AI"? A neural network? AGI? Both, even at inference, require a good amount of resources that you have to spare in your time you've got to render a frame, which is, for 60 fps approx 16ms, in which all of your systems have to complete their shit that's relevant.

And a "bunch of if statements" is basically what a neural network is anyway. You've got just sequence of affine functions + a non-linear activation functions. And then you've got the issue of not being fully able to control/explain the output of your network, which makes it harder to design the "AI" to be fun to play against.

Turns in Civ always take several seconds to complete, sometimes more than a minute in low end hardware. It never was limited by render time.

Yes, I'm talking about something trained in a neural network. Not just something programed by humans.
The AI in Civ games has always been very lacking. So with the advent of proper AI, we might finally get something decent.

Top Bottom