• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So do I blame EA or Criterion for poor online options in BO3?

pilonv1

Maybe this is why it took them so long to get online ;) The list of problems with Burnout 3 is full of pretty annoying yet easily fixable gripes:

- No way to invite someone already playing Burnout 3. Although I can send them text messages! It's like a PS2 online emulator
- No way to invite someone offline to play (besides text messages)
- Cant have a friends only room, only passwords (requiring more text messaging)
- Cant tell who is talking during the race
- Having to sign back into EA after races
- Opponents car showed by a tiny image in the lobby

It's a bunch of things that should be mandatory for any Xbox Live game. On the plus side however your online points count to your World Tour totals, there's no lag and the game is more fun than you can imagine. Road Rage is awesome :D .

Jesus...text messaging?! WTF? Well, at least, it's on XBL in some form...still pretty shitty disregard for what are basic and universal Live features.

Prine

Banned
fucking pathetic. This is one of the reasons MS wanted to keep the network closed.

Fucking EA bringing down the standard. Hope MS does something about this, EA cant even match the minimum expectations of XBL users

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
- Opponents car showed by a tiny image in the lobby
Isn't that the exact same thing that Midtown Madness 3 does?

Hope MS does something about this...
But, didn't they already do something about this, by pursuing EA to put their games on XBL in the first place and by approving this particular game in its current form? It would seem that MS is not particular bothered by the omissions...

Jesiatha

MightyHedgehog said:
Well, you can't force a publisher to use features of your service...but it sure would be nice in this case.

Sure they can, since all games have to be approved by MS for release. For example, all Xbox Live games need to support voice. They all must support your friends list. MS shouldn't be letting Live games ship if they do this bad a job supporting Live (ESPN Baseball also comes to mind, where they don't bother to show which game a friend is currently playing).

damn, i hope this isn't another case of a potentially great game ruined by a shitty online mode (Champions of Norrath, RE Outbreak...). Thankfully BO3's single player will likely kick ass and be worth the price of admission alone, so the online is more of a bonus.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I can't even imagine how the things pilonv listed can pass for turning this into a "shitty online experience".

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
kaching said:
I can't even imagine how the things pilonv listed can pass for turning this into a "shitty online experience".

Because EA hate is easy!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think some people probably choose to just ignore his last sentnce - the one where he says that the game is more fun than you can imagine :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jesiatha said:
Sure they can, since all games have to be approved by MS for release. For example, all Xbox Live games need to support voice.

Well, it seems MS approval process is not that anal anymore. Expecially when dealing with the biggest publisher on earth finally supporting your online service.

Dolby Digital 5.1 (or just plain DD2.0) is also a new "missing standard" in some of the latest Xbox games.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
since when was DD a standard in xbox games? its a feature.

Sucks that EA get to use their substandard online service on Xbox but i guess its better than no online at all.

epmode

so... what does ea get out of using their own login system on top of live? i mean, wasn't their big complaint about user created content control? burnout 3 has none.

ah, maybe i'm not understanding the original post. i'll wait till next week before complaining.)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dolby Digital 5.1 (or just plain DD2.0) is also a new "missing standard" in some of the latest Xbox games
Hmm, I'm not sure if I've ever seen an Xbox game that didn't have DD2.0 at least.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For example, all Xbox Live games need to support voice

And I wish they didn't. I'd sometimes prefer double the number of players instead of voice.

Anyone know how much bandwidth is used up by voice? If its teeny I don't mind :p

pilonv1

kaching said:
Isn't that the exact same thing that Midtown Madness 3 does?

The cars in the lobby in MM3 are about 5 times the size of the BO3 ones. On a small screen you'd have no chance of recognising them.

It's so stupid too, there are team game modes but you cant see who's talking. So if someone says "where are you?", you've got a 1 in 5 chance of guessing who it is. So many times I've had people say "who said that?" because you don't know who's talking.

It isn't a shitty online experience. It's the fact that people on Live are accustomed to certain features, like being able to see who is talking to you, or inviting someone who is playing the same game. Or even being able to join a freinds game, "quick join" is an awesome feature.

Imagine playing Star Wars Battlefront, having someone try to co-ordinate an attack but not knowing who said it, and not being able to talk to your team only. I'm sure that wont be the case because it's based on Battlefield but its' got me worried.

Edit: I forogt this bit in the manual...

EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON www.eagames.com

Awesome, a whole 30 days. Probably sometime early next year when EA shuts down Criterion, opens EA London and assigns them to NFSU3.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marconelly said:
Hmm, I'm not sure if I've ever seen an Xbox game that didn't have DD2.0 at least.

I did. Psi-Ops, Mashed and Terminator 3 are the first that come to my mind.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ghost said:
since when was DD a standard in xbox games? its a feature.

Of course. What I ment is that it was a "standard" in all the Xbox games released till some time ago. I'm pretty confident MS approval process took that (the presence of DD in submitted projects) in consideration during the first years of Xbox life cycle. Now, it seems, it doesn't anymore.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
doncale said:
it's all about Outrun 2 over XBL baby.

give this man cigar!

open_mouth_ said:
Burnout 3 Vs. Outrun 2... Who wins?

laugh.gif

Warrior

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Um, WTF!?! Like after every single race. Now that's horse shit.

It only does that to update your ranking stats you are not logged out of the current game you were playing in. I don’t really find it annoying since it only takes a few seconds. :)

Pilonv1 have you noticed that the vibration function does not work at all in this game even when you enable it? (Not sure if it’s the games fault or if my controller is f**ked.)

pilonv1

It's a few seconds that adds up over a night of online play :)

And it didn't even register that there is no vibration. But now that you mention it, it's very obvious. I wonder what happened.

Warrior

Banned
WTF! that sucks bigtime….why do they even have the vibration on/off in the options menu if it's not even supported by the game.

My biggest disappointment with BO3s’ online mode is the fact that it says on the back cover that downloadable content is not supported. :(

I Still love the game, but these annoying aspects of BO3 could have easily been fixed with a bit more development time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Huzza said:
It only does that to update your ranking stats you are not logged out of the current game you were playing in. I don’t really find it annoying since it only takes a few seconds. :)

Please tell me you're joking. Online fuck ups and no force feedback and NO vibration??? If the US version suffers from these crew up I'm not buying it.

OUTRUN 2 just OWNED this fucking game to hell!!!

shuri

Banned
Holy shit I hate console devs. They should take a cue from pc devs when it comes to online gaming. And while i'll be buying Outrun2, i'm not expecting much.

Canada is only getting the game next week :(

EAJAPAN

pilonv1 said:
Awesome, a whole 30 days. Probably sometime early next year when EA shuts down Criterion, opens EA London and assigns them to NFSU3.

If someone could adjust this guy's tag to read 'Joke Stealer', it would be greatly appreciated.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BeOnEdge said:
or without EA

Yes because we know without a doubt that any bug that is still in a released game is because EA pushed that dev to get the game out before it was ready... and that dev kicking and screaming had no choice but to do so.

atomsk

Party Pooper
would someone like to tell me...

WHY ISNT MY CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK PLAYING IN CRASH MODE?????

thats 90% of the reason i still play crashmode in BO2

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
atomsk said:
would someone like to tell me...

WHY ISNT MY CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK PLAYING IN CRASH MODE?????

thats 90% of the reason i still play crashmode in BO2

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

There wasn't really a point to having music played in crash mode. It was all over in a minute or so anyway. I got tired of hearing the same thing over and over in BO2 :)

atomsk

Party Pooper
angry.gif

it enhanced the gameplay... for me anyway...

i'll probably still get a decent amount of play out of it, but convincing my gf to play it without being able to jam to Dope... i cant see that happening

After 4 hours of Burnout 3 yesterday evening, I would like to add even some more negatives:

- No replays. WTF!? I fucking hatehatehate when a racing game doesn't have replays. especially when the previous games had 'em. Only in crash mode can you view a replay. Weak.

- Stiff handling. OK this one could just be me, but I don't remember the previous games physics being so stiff. I'll have to check but I remember enjoying the physics/handling in Burnout 2 more than this.

- Way less traffic than even Burnout 2, which had even less than the first game. The dodging and weaving in and out of traffic is almost non-existant here. Also, the collision detection kinda sucks too - if you don't hit a car head-on, you'll just slide right off of it. Burnout 2 had this problem too, but it seems even worse here.

- EA Trax. Fuck you EA. The previous games had a pretty good, original soundtrack. And you can actually hear if you listen closely that they got the same guy to do the soundtrack here and it was probably even done with before EA tossed it in favor of their TRAX. In some of the menus you can actually hear some original music, pay attention to when you get a new car, it's the same style of tunes from BO2. It's a damn good thing thing custom soundtracks are in, cause the EA trax sucks the soul right out of this game.

Overall though, Burnout 3 is pretty awesome. I haven't heard much about the ROAD RAGE mode, but holy shit!!! Your only goal in this mode is to get as many takedowns as possible, however your car continually retains damage with every attack and is eventually just completely getting ripped to shreds and falling apart until you finally damage out. I feel so aggressive playing this mode and there is no shortage of enemy vehicles to takedown! I love it!! ROAD RAGE is bad to the fucking bone!!

epmode

PanopticBlue said:
Also, the collision detection kinda sucks too - if you don't hit a car head-on, you'll just slide right off of it. Burnout 2 had this problem too, but it seems even worse here.
the collision detection is fine. the sensitivity was likely turned down to keep you from having too many accidental crashes, considering that there's a lot more aggressive driving in this one.

Top Bottom