• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, "Finished specs" for my 1st build it yourself PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
DJ Demon J said:
Looking good Biff! Have you looked into any extra cooling for the system? I didn't see any case fans on that case nor did I see you buying a non-AMD heatsink (i.e., it's a good idea to get a new heatsink instead of using the standard one that comes with your CPU chip--especially with overclock-friendly AMD chips). Extra case fans help regulate the airflow and keep the insides cool. I don't think you'll need more than 4 or 5 case fans( 2 rear exhaust, 1 or 2 side intake, 1 or 2 front intake). There's a website I went to (www.xpcases.com) that had plenty of nice aluminum tower cases with plenty of bays AND power supply units and case fans pre-installed! Good luck with this project, keep us informed!

Thanks man,you are one of the guys who really helped me in my decision to do this. I can see why you suggest to do this. I configured relatively the same system on ibuypower.com, and it cost around 2500 or some heavy price. Alienware was over 3000. I forget the actual price I'm paying (have it written down here somewhere, but its not close to those two figures). Theres also the fact that some of the stuff from those retailers is generic or not exactly what I wanted, while if I buy myself I get everything I want from who I want. Part of me is nervous about ordering all these parts, but that has really passed now. I'm confident this will be built well. What can I say, I'm excited.

The case comes with 4 fans. Airflow and cooling was my #1 focus when it came to a case. The reviews for the LL were that its a very cool case because of the fans and aluminum construction. I think I read a slew of user reviews and 3 or 4 done by sites.

I wasn't aware of the non AMD heatsink being worth it though. I will look around and see what's best for me. Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.

lordmrw

DCX said:
Is that DVD-R drive any good? I'm looking to get me one and have no idea what to look for.

DCX

I just bought a combo DVD-R/CD burner from Tiger Direct for $60 about 2 weeks ago, and it works great. No coasters, no issues, nothing. It was almost too good to be true.

SKluck

Banned
DCX said:
Is that DVD-R drive any good? I'm looking to get me one and have no idea what to look for.

DCX

It's VERY good. With Plextor, NEC, or Liteon drives, you can't really go wrong. Plextor is the best. Liteon, NEC are a toss-up. There is NO reason to ever buy another brand because you can find NEC drives for less than $75 easy. Plextor are always pretty expensive, but with good reason.

I have the NEC-2500A. Hacked firmware turned it into a 2510 that does dual-layer, and also burns most dvd media at twice its rated speed. (Hence, most 2x discs burn beautifully at 4x, saves me a lot of money I would have spent on 4x discs).

SKluck said:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-025&depa=0

You don't want a black dvdrw in a silver case do you? Silver version is the same price.

Everything looks damn fine. I could never bring myself to spend so much on just a cpu or psu, I'd feel way too guilty, but that's a monster you got there.

Thanks chief. I'll get the silver. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

VPhys, thanks for the speaker recommendation. I appreciate it.

Knocked down my RAM from 2048 to 1024. Everyone who I've spoken to has told me that extra gig won't do jack shit for me, so I'm saving some bucks. I'll put it to a video card that I buy later on. That or strippers.

Specs changed to reflect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom