• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I want to start a Blog - which one should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Recommendations?
I want one that's good and not bad.

PS: People who start blogs just to talk about themselves and get other people talking about them are wankers.

Well it would help if you had a list of requirements instead of a standard junior member post.

I use Google's Blogger for moogle.net because it's ridiculously simple to use and has no ads if you have your own hosting.

Guys with no fear of self configuration and who already have their own mySQL hosting will probably want to try out Moveable type.

People in the middle may want to consider Livejournal or Typepad.

Livejournal is alright if you have a lot of friends already on it, because you can have giant friends list circle jerk and show each other all your important quiz results and share your new Harry Potter slash fanfiction. Honestly though, despite the insane banality of 99% of the people on it, I do think the service is well run and maintained, and am fairly satisfied with it.

Pochacco

I just want something that's easy to maintain, offers a lot of customobility, and possibly has cool features like those Calender thingies. I really don't know much about blogs :(

...instead of a standard junior member post.
:mad:

Pochacco said:
Recommendations?
I want one that's good and not bad.

PS: People who start blogs just to talk about themselves and get other people talking about them are wankers.

So what's your blog going to be about?

And I use the Blogger. Works great for what I want (I use it as a news type page on my website).

Pochacco

I'm just gonna use it mainly as a digital journal.
And yes, I have some knowledge of HTML/CSS :)

Well, greymatter's easier than wordpress/Movable Type to install simply because it requires no database blah blah. You upload and start off. However, it's got a really, really, really stupid configuration menu as far as actually customizing the layout, etc. Movable Type and Wordpress require a host that supports MySQL/PHP and take a little bit of work to install (not much), however, it's pretty straight forward to tool around with the layout and junk. Wordpress is free and open source, whereas Movable Type has a somewhat limited free 1 license install.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
I started with Blogger and wanted more flexibility. I then moved on to Graymatter and thought it was too much of a system hog (both bandwidth, disk space and even slow loading due to so much crap going on... it's bloatware). Next I used Movabletype, which I was happy with for quite a while. When MT announced their new pricing scheme, I checked out some of the competition since I hadn't for a while. Wordpress is what I use now and I really like it. It's all .php, so your MySQL takes a hammering, but it's fast, stable and has a really great support message board. My vote: Wordpress. Of course this will change at some point based on past experience. :p

EDIT: Wordpress literally took me under 5 minutes to install. Configuring it to look the way you want takes longer. Let me know if you want to see what the Wordpress backend looks like and I'll make you a registered user of my site.

RedDwarf: I also use WordPress (and loving it) and it doesn't take *that* long to install, but it's still more than it takes to install Greymatter which is simply a process of uploading the .CGI files.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Movable Type is great once you get around it's eccentricities (like their stylesheet being pretty much hardcoded, if you want your own design, just dump it and make your own.)

It's hard for me to recommend outright since they don't really support the free version anymore, but if you have access to your own server with some level of database software already installed, it's a pretty snazzy setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom