• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So if the Nintendo Revolution is actually revolutionary....

Mason

Let's set aside the fact that Nintendo doesn't usually deliver on the hype. If Revolution is actually some major revolution in gameplay, even something on par with two screens like the DS, is Nintendo screwing themselves? They have a hard enough time getting third parties to port crappy titles to their system.

If game companies are making these games for Xbox 2 and PS3, but Nintendo has this system that doesn't work the way a traditional console does, what does that mean? Is Nintendo going to be the only company putting out games? Will the system's library consist solely of exclusives that can't be done on other systems? If so, is the N5 really even competing with the Xbox 2 and PS3? Would that make the N5 a complementary console or would it really be so revolutionary that an Xbox 2 or PS3 play second fiddle?

cvxfreak

This can work both ways. I'm sure developers like EA and the Japanese companies will work things out that cannot easily be ported over to PS3 or Xenon. At the same time, some developers will shy away from the Revolution. I think the former will be a more effective solution, since if a Tales title, for example, were developed for Revolution-exclusive features in mind, then a PS3 port would be hard to achieve.

border

If Revolution is actually some major revolution in gameplay, even something on par with two screens like the DS
Time to play America's new favorite game show: "Sarcasm or Sincerity?"

Mason

border said:
Time to play America's new favorite game show: "Sarcasm or Sincerity?"

I mean to say, if the Revolution is something revolutionary, or even if it is just something as simple as the DS's two screens, which actually does create a lot of new challenges/opportunities compared to one screen.

doncale

Banned
Revolution is a huge unknown. all we can think of is like 50x GameCube power-wise, plus DS' unique combination of capabilities.

Spike

Really, they only need to do one thing to ensure third-party support. They need to offer the same media size as their competitors. This way there will be no bitching about smaller disc space and stuff.

Online would be nice, but this really shouldn't affect 3rd party relations, because that could be edited out easily.

I don't think it will be so far out that porting traditional games to it will be impossible. That really would not be in the best interests of Nintendo or gamers. I don't think anyone knows better than Nintendo that there is always going to be value in old games, so at the very least they're going to leave the possiblity open so that they can tap into their existing library of games if need be.

I think their goal is to make a system where 3rd parties don't want to make games the old way, not to make a system where 3rd parties are unable to. I mean they'd definitely be putting a damper on the system if they announced that it simply would be unable to play some favorite titles.

That might be the they of thing they meant when they said the DS would hint at their next gen plans. It incorporates new ideas, but there's certainly nothing standing in the way of making the same old types of games people loved on the GBA. It's just the fact that when you've got that 2nd screen staring at you, it's going to be hard to just completely avoid using it. It only expands what you can do over the GBA, not limits it, and they're probably hoping the same will be true of their next system.

belgurdo

Banned
I'm just hoping for a more standardized controller and if they're going to bank a gimmick again to give us all of the stuff to utilize it in the box this time

AniHawk

I bet the guys at marketing thought up of "Revolution" to avoid the early negative reactions like GC had with its codename. Nintendo probably will include new features to the system to try and differentiate it from the competetition in a good way, but I can't think of what that can really be unless it's something as good as very easily accessible free OL gaming.

Nintendo can't rely on gimmicky stuff like dual screens for their next console since they don't own that part of the market to just test things in. Hopefully for them they know this.

doncale

Banned
speaking of Nintendo Revolution:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/545/545712p1.html

Nickerson added: "The other market that has had a lower profile recently is the follow-on development for both Nintendo and the Microsoft game console product. We should start seeing, depending on when those particular companies bring their products to market, that will turn into a royalty play for us both those contracts. And we have found that with Nintendo, historically that's been around $25 million a year. And it's been a constant flow of royalty."

ATI is also working on a graphics chip with Nintendo, which is presumably working to ship its Nintendo Revolution due to ship late next year.

You know, I think the word gimmick has started to get a little overused. Part of the definitition for the word gimmick is an innovative idea or device, so it's a little odd that for a lot of people, their analysis stops at identifying a gimmick, instead of proceeding forth from there.

I mean console controllers are gimmicks. But it would be kind of silly to act as if that statement alone explains why they're useless (and in fact we know they've proven to be very useless).

To me it would almost be like dismissing the next gen launch lineup for being games - it doesn't really tell you much at all.

El Papa

Nintendo revolutionized console gaming when they introduced analogue control with N64. They basically forced game companies to adapt so that by the second half of the PS1's lifetime, analogue control for 3D games was standard already. It's a simple concept really, but it was revolutionary at the time. If Nintendo has an idea that's ingenious but simple to adapt to then Nintendo doesn't have anythingto worry about.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
judging by the development community's reaction to the ds, nintendo's next console might benefit from an unconventional design. at least in terms of garnering third party support. there was that thread a while back about a developer who asked a nintendo rep why he would want to develop on a nintendo console. and the nintendo rep had no real answer. unconventional hardware that provides new development opportunities would be a real and potentially compelling reason to develop on a nintendo console.

of course nintendo no longer have the same credibility in the console sector that they do in the handheld sector -- surely part of the reason developers like ds is that it's the successor to the wildly successful gba. and it remains to be seen how many of the developers who are vocally enthusiastic about the ds will supply it with substantive content, rather than trifling vanity projects between ps2 games. and as you say, it's uncertain whether nintendo will come up with any appealing hardware innovation in the first place.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Revolutionary means it will change the industry. So if IT is indeed revolutionary then Nintedo will do some pwning. Of course this new system can jsut be innovative and not revolutionary in which case nothing will change or they will bomb.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hitman said:
Revolutionary means it will change the industry. So if IT is indeed revolutionary then Nintedo will do some pwning. Of course this new system can jsut be innovative and not revolutionary in which case nothing will change or they will bomb.

That is if people want a revolution. If not, it'll just end up being rejected as something strange and bizarre.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
No one will want to play PS3/XB2 games once they've tried out Nintendo's holo-games. No matter how realistic traditional TV games get.

It will be same effect that 3D games had on 2D.

P90

Gahiggidy said:
No one will want to play PS3/XB2 games once they've tried out Nintendo's holo-games. No matter how realistic traditional TV games get.

It will be same effect that 3D games had on 2D.

I hope there is a paradigm shift. This gen has been so not innovative. But Madden will dumb everything down.

GIR

Banned
Wow, I really think next gen is going to suck even more than this one, for a start even if somehow Nintendo manage to do something "revolutionary" will anyone actually care or admit that it is, most people seem to be infatuated with Sony, PS3 and its "revolutionary" storage media BluRay to give a crap (c'mon admit it, its one of those buzzwords that makes your digital dick stand up)

Top Bottom