• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is Halo MP stuck to be an arena shooter forever?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
How about something more grandiose and never been done before?

Can I just spit out an idea like that?

Imagine a multiplayer map which is a full ring of Halo. Not a maps separated, not zones with a few square kilometers. I said THE FULL HALO.

Ok, maybe not a lore accurate Halo because that is too big, but you know what I mean, a damn big map.

A persistent world with tens of thousands of players using server meshing, which UE5 now apparently supports from the Pax Dei demo showcased a week ago.

Go Planetside 2 on it. Both sides, covenants and marines, fighting for territory. Map can notify you and push you into hot zones like planetside 2.

The flood. It could be triggered by enemy teams close-by a contested zone and let it spread, but these fuckers could maybe also spread on the wrong side. It would not be predictable. Players to stop the spread could detonate a portion of their controlled zones, it would require to go inside the structure and would be an adventure of its own, maybe having to fight against Forerunner AI sentients. It would be a measured sacrifice, trying to push back to save one zone could also mean it spreads to a 2nd one and you lose more.

Knowing that you could make an excursion to liberate the flood on enemy territory and maybe even close to one of their stronghold, the enemies might even have to defend entrances to the flood containment.

If you sacrifice a region, they blow up a chunk

HCEA-The_Halo_Conflict_%28Way_thumbnail%29.jpg

Every players would see the damage from afar

destroyed_halo_ring___high_quality_by_ahmetmuratakyol_dgvq0fh-414w-2x.jpg

Until maybe after days of factions fighting, it ends up like this.
7CUbpeD.jpeg

Always shortening, pushing players close and closer together until it feels like a battle royal.

Like planetside 2, there would be side objectives outside of the all end war. Rewards for a team to capture as much territory for your faction and hold for a certain amount of hours. Directives that makes you do things in a certain order to gain rewards, weapon upgrades, etc, squad/platoon leading like an RTS, except you aren't giving orders to bots, but to human players. Resources/base building management, where it would give you the necessary means to build tanks/flying ships, launch pads to target a far region of the ring.

When the ring has one faction remaining, they win. Starts the map again.

Keeping status quo for Arena MP otherwise feels circa 2000. Are we doing this again? I've seen enough of that MP recipe. There's a lot of alternatives nowadays that compete directly against that. They would not make a blip on the radar.

Just imo, but I can't believe an arena shooter MP would even wow anyone by 2026.

kevboard

it's the only Arena Shooter in town...
so why throw away your unique quality? they did that with Halo 4 and failed miserably.

also Halo does have non-arena shooter modes and did have them for a long time. from racing, to infection, and Halo Reach's Invasion mode.
you can thank 343i for none of these getting fleshed out more. they completely threw Invasion out after taking over for example. they launched ALL OF THEIR FUCKING GAMES without Infection too...

Last edited:

salva

Would be awesome, but with a scope like that and in today's development practices. It'll release in 20 years and also be shit.
Halo 3 is still the peak MP. We just need that, and for something grander - expand Big Team Battle to something like Battlefield level

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They need a BR mode, extraction shooter mode, and all the standard offferings halo is known for.

We will get none.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
2 thoughts, 1 no. 2 even if yes, do you think 343i could pull it off? Please they are one of the most incompetent AAA devs of all time.

I mean if we go with that mentality, might as well close the studio. They'll never get anything right.

I'm still hoping they can surprise

Jinzo Prime

What about a Battlefront style mode? It would allow them to keep the unique Halo sandbox while offering a new snd expansive multiplayer experience that could sell game to hardcore and casuals alike.

I mean, they wouldn't have much competition as I don't see a Star Wars Battlefront game on the horizon and Battlefield is in rebuild mode.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, just let me have my unambitious, fun shit for a change. I'm tired of fucking with an established formula in a franchise that already knows what it is.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I said this about Firewalks new game (Concord) in 2020 - 2024, but...

arnold-schwarzenegger-no-chance.gif

Halo needs to be a big, open world, Battle Royale/Extraction/Survival PvP sandbox game.

Man, just let me have my unambitious, fun shit for a change. I'm tired of fucking with an established formula in a franchise that already knows what it is.
They literally just released this game in 2021...Halo Infinite.

ZehDon

A functional, feature complete, fully stocked Halo MP - not the broken twisted content starved mess of Halo Infinite - would absolutely carve out its own space. I don't think Halo needs radical reinvention, it just hasn't had a proper, feature complete launch in over a decade. "Halo Studios" needs to actually launch the game when its finished.

Or maybe I'm just old.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
A functional, feature complete, fully stocked Halo MP - not the broken twisted content starved mess of Halo Infinite - would absolutely carve out its own space. I don't think Halo needs radical reinvention, it just hasn't had a proper, feature complete launch in over a decade. "Halo Studios" needs to actually launch the game when its finished.

Or maybe I'm just old.

Agreed, if infinite had launched in the state it was in a couple of years after launch, the conversation about it would have probably been different.

It seems crazy to me that making and releasing maps seemed to take them so long. If they can work out how to streamline that process without dropping the quality (IMO, Infinite's maps and ideas are pretty good across the board), then it'd really help the game create some positive momentum.

ZehDon

Agreed, if infinite had launched in the state it was in a couple of years after launch, the conversation about it would have probably been different.

It seems crazy to me that making and releasing maps seemed to take them so long. If they can work out how to streamline that process without dropping the quality (IMO, Infinite's maps and ideas are pretty good across the board), then it'd really help the game create some positive momentum.
Agreed. Something that they finally seemed to understand was that Halo maps are, effectively, mini-modes themselves. Each map should have a different concept around which that map's unique gameplay flavour is built. The variance doesn't need to massive, but it's part of what allowed Halo to occupy that "party game" slot for a long time. COD flip flops on this idea year to year, where sometimes the maps are just generic wallpaper for the rinse and repeat gameplay and sometimes the maps create proper flavour. Halo launching with a proper roster of maps, and having Forge there on day one to allow the community to fill the gaps, would be potent.

clarky

Gold Member
What games do you think are original and don't fall on a trend line? Any released in the last 10 years?
DP but i might as well add.

Obviously its hard to find a truly orginal game these days but you can certainly inovate and freshen things up within a genre.

Take the "make Helldivers 2 but with ODST's" shout. Sure but why? we already have that game. Why not make it but in the vien of something like the op is suggesting, server meshing, dropping into a full scale war with different objectives PVPVE, you could chosse to play as the covenant or unsc. 3rd person planetside/helldivers with modern technology incorporated. That would interest me.

Last edited:
Release a Battle Royale.
Release a Helldivers clone based on ODST.
Release a campaign game.

The BR can have arena type modes like Apex does.
Exactly, there is a lot that could be done if they wanted to do it, but they would need to be bold and creative. Last night I even thought of a Lethal Company-style MP mode for Halo where you play as 4 regular marines searching for artifacts, weapons, and supplies.

It would make sense because not every important item for a galactic war would be found by just Master Chief/the other few spartans.

POKEYCLYDE

Ive been enjoying Balatro recently.
Rogue lite deck builder. Not exactly original. Many comparisons to Slay the Spire before it came out. Jokers are basically relics.

It puts it's own unique spin on it, sure, and Halo can do that in these other game types/genres.

When Halo infinite came out half the community was clamoring for a Battle Royale mode. The community tried to make custom games based around a BR gametype.

Trends are a trend for a reason. They're popular. You just need to put care into the development of the game and have your own unique spin on the genre to find success.

clarky

Gold Member
Agreed. Something that they finally seemed to understand was that Halo maps are, effectively, mini-modes themselves. Each map should have a different concept around which that map's unique gameplay flavour is built. The variance doesn't need to massive, but it's part of what allowed Halo to occupy that "party game" slot for a long time. COD flip flops on this idea year to year, where sometimes the maps are just generic wallpaper for the rinse and repeat gameplay and sometimes the maps create proper flavour. Halo launching with a proper roster of maps, and having Forge there on day one to allow the community to fill the gaps, would be potent.

Unfortunately i fear Forge will be gone with the move to UE. It took them forever to get it up and running in its current form, id expect its a major task starting that from scratch.

clarky

Gold Member
Rogue lite deck builder. Not exactly original. Many comparisons to Slay the Spire before it came out. Jokers are basically relics.

It puts it's own unique spin on it, sure, and Halo can do that in these other game types/genres.

When Halo infinite came out half the community was clamoring for a Battle Royale mode. The community tried to make custom games based around a BR gametype.

Trends are a trend for a reason. They're popular. You just need to put care into the development of the game and have your own unique spin on the genre to find success.

See my post above. You cant say anything is completely original these days but you can certainly find games with fresh ideas within genres.

Last edited:
What about a Battlefront style mode? It would allow them to keep the unique Halo sandbox while offering a new snd expansive multiplayer experience that could sell game to hardcore and casuals alike.

I mean, they wouldn't have much competition as I don't see a Star Wars Battlefront game on the horizon and Battlefield is in rebuild mode.
Honestly OP’s description reminded me of Battlefront 2 with just a little extra.

Unfortunately i fear Forge will be gone with the move to UE. It took them forever to get it up and running in its current form, id expect its a major task starting that from scratch.
But Epic laid out a perfect foundation for this exact thing with all of the tools and features present in fortnite creative modes.

clarky

Gold Member
Honestly OP’s description reminded me of Battlefront 2 with just a little extra.

But Epic laid out a perfect foundation for this exact thing with all of the tools and features present in fortnite creative modes.
Good point, forge is awesome in its current form, hopefully they have it at launch with whatever they do next.

Last edited:
Good point, forge is awesome in its current form, hopefully they have it at launch in what ever they do next.
I have a feeling they’re probably going to do a delayed release again, due to publishing pressure, but honestly Xbox division at MS is moving so odd right now that I don’t know what to expect. I just hope that the delay isn’t too far after primary release.

clarky

Gold Member
I have a feeling they’re probably going to do a delayed release again, due to publishing pressure, but honestly Xbox division at MS is moving so odd right now that I don’t know what to expect. I just hope that the delay isn’t too far after primary release.
Yeah MS is constantly shooting itself in the foot these days.

Halo Infinite with forge at release would have solved a lot of that games problems.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
DP but i might as well add.

Obviously its hard to find a truly orginal game these days but you can certainly inovate and freshen things up within a genre.

Take the "make Helldivers 2 but with ODST's" shout. Sure but why? we already have that game. Why not make it but in the vien of something like the op is suggesting, server meshing, dropping into a full scale war with different objectives PVPVE, you could chosse to play as the covenant or unsc. 3rd person planetside/helldivers with modern technology incorporated. That would interest me.
I think when I hear "Make it like X game but ______" I assume they mean "but better and with a unique twist".

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
so why throw away your unique quality? they did that with Halo 4 and failed miserably.

also Halo does have non-arena shooter modes and did have them for a long time. from racing, to infection, and Halo Reach's Invasion mode.
you can thank 343i for none of these getting fleshed out more. they completely threw Invasion out after taking over for example. they launched ALL OF THEIR FUCKING GAMES without Infection too...
Splitgate is another. Splitgate 2 is releasing soon.

clarky

Gold Member

You're forgetting about COD there champ.

Splitgate is another. Splitgate 2 is releasing soon.
I’m just hoping they update the promo art for Splitgate 2. It is turning off this forum’s community and the in game models all wore masks/helmets in the gameplay beta 🤷‍♂️

It would be like promoting Destiny with creatable character faces when you only see their faces in lobby areas.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
They need a BR mode, extraction shooter mode, and all the standard offferings halo is known for.

We will get none.
Exactly would love a side based BR duo squads trios like Fortnite. Maybe with clans where you compete on different maps maybe a new map every month or two from halo universe.

I always assumed that since Microsoft owns both "halo studios" and Blizzard now, they were eventually going to do a reskined Halo version of Starcraft. Build properly from Halo Wars into a full Starcraft 2 type thing, split into multiple games to play the various factions meeting/history/war, as well as having maybe a persistent online "halo" or universe map, that the various sides fight over to paint the map, maybe like Battle for Middle Earth 2 War of the Ring game type or something? Was it mass effect 3 or hell divers 1 where you had to constantly be fighting to control parts of a universe map? Something like that maybe

I'm pretty much over the first person, and soon to be third person Halo, give me an RTS, with the Blizzard type cinematics for the intro's and between campaign missions fleshing out the backstory upto Reach or something

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I always assumed that since Microsoft owns both "halo studios" and Blizzard now, they were eventually going to do a reskined Halo version of Starcraft. Build properly from Halo Wars into a full Starcraft 2 type thing, split into multiple games to play the various factions meeting/history/war, as well as having maybe a persistent online "halo" or universe map, that the various sides fight over to paint the map, maybe like Battle for Middle Earth 2 War of the Ring game type or something?

I'm pretty much over the first person, and soon to be third person Halo, give me an RTS, with the Blizzard type cinematics for the intro's and between campaign missions fleshing out the backstory upto Reach or something
Halo Wars and Halo Wars 2 are exactly what you are asking for i think?

Last edited:

StueyDuck

The only way i see it working if it was like a battlefront galactic conquest style where you just move from arena to bigger map with vehicles then arena again depending on who is winning.

But other than that, chasing trends like some extraction shooter or BR will just bomb

Last edited:
I imagine the budget would be massive and it would also rely on a really healthy player base to remain engaging and fun since the maps would be so huge.

Game modes akin to Battlefield could be fun I guess, but I guess that's more like big team battle on a larger scale. The time to kill may also be a bit off with more larger battles like that. It could be something they test in future games though.

Personally I really enjoy Halo as an arena shooter. It's what separates it from the crowd these days. We've got enough Battle Royale and extraction shooters and Halo being what it is makes it different in my opinion. I really miss arena shooters.

th4tguy

Halo doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel.
They just need to go back to basics and focus on what mad Halo good to begin with.
Release maps at regular intervals and promote new game modes as they are developed internally or created by the community.
Stick with the game mechanics of Halo 3 or 2.

Kupfer

In my day, Halo wasn't an arena shooter, it was a co-op shooter.
But me and my friends didn't have the opportunity to play online in the early/mid-2000s either.

Rickyiez

It took 400mil to make a turd like Concord. IDK man, I don't have such faith for such a grand leap in gameplay anymore

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
From the makers of craig? I don't think so....
No no, haven't you heard? It's the "Halo Studios" now...ok it's quite the same people but different.

Edit: I love Halo Infinite. People love to attack on these guys but I prefer a good series like Halo to evolve into something rather than having to cancel completely the IP. You can see MANY examples of dead IP at Microsoft competition.

Studios who have no clue what to do next or failing and ending up closing. So yeah, Infinite is damn good at what it does, to be one of the best arena shooter ever. To me, Halo is absolutely essential in the gaming universe. And I think 343 have done an exceptional work at doing the impossible for the many last years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom