• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is it now Official that Half-life2 > DOOM3 > FarCry?

Vieo

People were comparing DOOM3 and Half-life 2 a lot before the release. If HL2 beats DOOM3 in gameplay, does it beat DOOM3 in graphics as well? :)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Not on a technical level. On lighting alone...

Doom3's lighting is insane.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
IMO

Art direction and excellent color pallette usage > technical brute force.

I have Doom3 and FarCry, but will reserve judgement until I get my mits on HL2...which will be today hopefully.

bogg

Even though im not a fan of FarCry, the outdoor missions made it more fun than Doom 3 to me. Have'nt played HL2 yet, but I cant freaking wait!
Probably going to be- Half Life 2 >>> FarCry > Doom3

teiresias

Metroid Prime 2

If I want to spend two hours backtracking and looking for a little hole down in the corner of some dark room so I can get on with the "adventure" then maybe I'll consider MP2.

Bog

Junior Ace
teiresias said:
If I want to spend two hours backtracking and looking for a little hole down in the corner of some dark room so I can get on with the "adventure" then maybe I'll consider MP2.

Don't play many games, do you?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I had much more fun with Farcry than I did with Doom3. And the stunning environments in FC, to me, were much more impressive and important visually than D3's lighting.

If Metroid Prime 2 is anything like the original, I don't want to even hear it in the same sentence as these FPSs. What a fucking joke.....Retro can blow me.

demon said:
If Metroid Prime 2 is anything like the original, I don't want to even hear it in the same sentence as these FPSs. What a fucking joke.....Retro can blow me.

it great to see folks come round to the idea of FPA.

signet

TheGreenGiant said:
it great to see folks come round to the idea of FPA.

Amen, a FPA is what you get when you take a FPS and strip out the aiming and add a convoluted control schem.

DaCocoBrova said:
IMO

Art direction and excellent color pallette usage > technical brute force.

I agree 100% which is why I think HL2 absolutely destroys Farcry. Farcry looks so generic compared to HL2 and it's all simply because of how well they used the engine instead of concentrating on showing it off.

DaBuddaDa

Half-Life 2 >>>>>>> Metroid Prime 2 > Halo 2 > Far Cry > Doom 3

IMHO, after playing the first three for about 4 or 5 hours each. Half-life 2 is everything I wanted it to be and more. I can't say the same about any of the others.

element

Half-Life 2 >>>>>>> Metroid Prime 2 > Halo 2 > Far Cry > Doom 3
I'd agree with that. At least I had fun with Far Cry, where Doom 3 was so boring after the technology wore off. Halflife 2 is an awesome meld of technology and art direction.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DaCocoBrova said:
Not on a technical level. On lighting alone...

Doom3's lighting is insane.

I thought the problem with Doom 3 was the LACK of lighting. Guess it depends how you look at it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Shadow said:
I agree 100% which is why I think HL2 absolutely destroys Farcry. Farcry looks so generic compared to HL2 and it's all simply because of how well they used the engine instead of concentrating on showing it off.

However, I DO think CryTek is a better graphics engine. I would like to see it put to good use sometime...

Have you seen Vampire - Bloodlines, for example? The game is pretty dated looking and runs very poorly. I hope Source isn't one of those situations where only the original developer puts it to good use...

Half Life 2 has amazing art direction... that in itself requires taste, discipline, and a brute force engine.
I do agree, Metroid's art direction is up there too.

Halo 2 has awesome visuals... but the art direction isn't focused very well, not to mention the cheesy designs...
Check out Craig Mullin's concepts for Halo, that's what the game should've looked like...

http://www.goodbrush.com/cm/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=25
http://www.goodbrush.com/cm/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=15

Top Bottom