• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Jak 3 demo is out ...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not bad so far...

The presentation blows the shit out of the last two games. It actually seems as if the storyline might be good this time. I wonder if Amy Hennig's appearance on the team helped at all? Heh, who knows...
Second game had nice story, in my opinion, but I think Amy did help here and there with the story in the third game. She was not writing it though, but she was a game director.

The next thing I noticed was that the music is actually...not bad! It sounds totally different from the last two games (thank god). The previous games had some of the most generic, boring music I've heard in a game as of late. This new stuff is much better. Nothing amazing or anything, but it's actually pretty nice sounding.
Hehe, yeah. This time around, their engine streams music as well, on the top of everything else. So, no surprise they are using orchestrated music track instead of midis.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh yes, the second game had a very nice little story for a platformer (though I didn't enjoy it as much as the two Klonoa titles. :p). However, while I can't speak for the overall plot obviously, the presentation of the story is extremely good in Jak III thus far and has me very interested in it.

PS2 can do some seriously kickass sequenced audio (though it was not kickass in the two Jak games), but it's interesting that they are using streaming tracks this time. You can most certainly tell, however. After finishing the demo, I must say that I actually walked away impressed with the music. It isn't just about sound quality either, the actual tunes are very different and MUCH MUCH better...

I really want to like Jak 2 it but I just can't. The missions were generally uninspired. The cut scenes were not creating a world I wanted to slip into, but rather a world I wanted nothing to do with. The characters didn't translate well into the darker and edgier Haven City. The bits where there was platforming seemed strained, uninspired. You'd have these rediculous difficulty spikes where enemies would swarm at you and they are stupid enemies and to get past those points is all luck. Bosses were lamest I've seen rendered via my ps2 hardware.

On the other hand I also think the first Ratchet and Clank was not all that great. Yet, Going Commando is one of my favorite games period. Maybe ND will pull through as Insomniac did now that they have the basic foundation laid and have had time to refine and fix problems.

Top Bottom