• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the inevitable is happening...a Godzilla anime is being made

Status
Not open for further replies.

BokehKing

Banned
Why it took most of my adult life to happen I don't know, but it is finally happening...
godz.png

JapanToday

It’s a tonal decision that’s apparently resonated with audiences, as “Shin Godzilla” has become a huge hit in Japan, with its box office revenue already surpassing that of Legendary Pictures’ 2014 “Godzilla.” And it doesn’t look like made-in-Japan Godzilla content is going to be lightening up anytime soon, with the announcement of a CG Godzilla anime movie from serious-as-a-heart-attack anime scriptwriter Gen Urobuchi.

Best known as the writer of “Puella Magi Madoka Magica” (which did for the magical girl genre what “Evangelion” did for kids-piloting-robot stories), Urobuchi more recently crafted the scripts for science-fiction detective anime “Psycho-Pass” and lavish-looking puppet series “Thunderbolt Fantasy.” “For a Japanese creator, it is the highest honor to be associated with the Godzilla name,” said Urobuchi of his involvement, adding “I am putting all of my efforts into meeting the audience’s expectations.”

full article - http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment/view/first-ever-animated-godzilla-movie-coming-soon

BokehKing

Banned
I'm just looking foward for anything godzilla related that will fill the gap between now and the next american made film, and me finally seeing Shin Gojira

BokehKing

Banned
How has this not happened already?

It's a question I have asked myself since that first time SciFi Channel had anime on TV back in the early 90's... (before then, I knew Ramna 1/2 or whatever was on some channel in brooklyn but I didn't get the channel out by me)

But yeah, ever since my first animes, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Dominion Tank Police,
I always wondered......
how is there not a Godzilla anime, as time went on, years turned into a decade and still no Godzilla anime. They got all this other space dout weird stuff going on with the small screen, how do they got no love for the big guy.

Well...finally they will

Gravidee

But will it be as good as

R1F91fK.jpg

Only good thing to come out of the 98 debacle

--edit

Oh, it's CG. So I guess the answer to my question is no

So you won't give it a chance even if the writing is good? We haven't even seen the designs yet, apart from that one concept image.

T-Rex.

Banned
Tsundere Godzilla goes to high school.

CG, bleh. It's not automatically a negative but it's rare for it to be done well from the stuff I've seen.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm obviously not an anime head, I don't know what waifu's are and I don't know polygon pictures history either. Are their other CGI anime pictures good?

Strimei

Kinda off topic but how did "Urobutcher" come about?

He had a tendency, more so in the past (he's lightened a bit over the years), to write grim stories. Part of this is due, apparently, to nearly dying as a kid in some sort of epidemic, it colored his worldview.

edit: From his comments on Fate/Zero Vol. 1:

Urobuchi Gen wants to write stories that can warm people's hearts.

Those who knew about my creative history would probably furrow their brows and think this is a cold joke. Actually, I couldn't completely believe it, either. Because when I start typing out words on the keyboard, the stories my brain comes up with are always full of madness and despair.

In fact, I wasn't like this before. I've often written pieces that didn't have a perfect ending, but by the last chapter the protagonist would still possess a belief that 'Although there will be many hardships to come, I still have to hold on'.

But from I don't know when, I can no longer write works like this.

I am full of hatred towards men's so-called happiness, and had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy.

For all things in the world, if we just leave them alone and pay them no attention, they are bound to advance in a negative direction.

CG is disappointing but I want to hold on to hope that it won't be anywhere near the cheap ass quality of the new Berserk anime. I like to think the Godzilla license has better quality control than that. This should have happened decades ago.

Strimei

Anime and CG do not mix, when will Japan learn.

As I said earlier, I thought Knights of Sidonia did it quite well, though the humans were a bit stiff at first.

Blame! looks like it'll be sweet, too. Though maybe CG just works with Tsutomu Nihei's works.

CG can be good....
if it had the budget of the star wars series

You may be interested to know that Polygon Pictures, the CG studio handling this, also worked on Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Unfortunately Polygon has consistently made poor aesthetic decisions since focusing on the Japanese market in projects such as Sidonia and Ajin, and I am not optimistic about their involvement in this film.

Anime and CG do not mix, when will Japan learn.

There are good examples of Japanese CG animation. For example, Toei's CG work on the Go Princess Precure film. Other examples would be Dimps in Majin Bone, Studio Gooneys in Show by Rock, Orange in Fafner Exodus and other mecha works, and Studio Khara's Cassette Girl from Animator Expo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom