• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the inevitable is happening...a Godzilla anime is being made

Status
Not open for further replies.

BokehKing

Banned
So during dinner I googled this beserk anime you guys speak of and waifu
the latter I won't touch with a ten foot pole
but as far as CGI anime......man I'm just going to say it like this..

It's a Godzilla movie.....and that's all that really matters...
I don't care what it looks like, as long as the CGI does not look like this I'll be alright
tumblr_nkd4650vFV1uoio2to1_500.gif

To me...that's bad CG.....everything else i'll tolerate for godzilla

DedValve

Banned
You may be interested to know that Polygon Pictures, the CG studio handling this, also worked on Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Unfortunately Polygon has consistently made poor aesthetic decisions since focusing on the Japanese market in projects such as Sidonia and Ajin, and I am not optimistic about their involvement in this film.

There are good examples of Japanese CG animation. For example, Toei's CG work on the Go Princess Precure film. Other examples would be Dimps in Majin Bone, Studio Gooneys in Show by Rock, Orange in Fafner Exodus and other mecha works, and Studio Khara's Cassette Girl from Animator Expo.

I've always hated both artstyles of the star wars cg series but eventually tolerated them and got used to it since the shows are so fucking good.

So I'll expect to go through the same hurdles.

And yes now I'm definitely interested. Star Wars is the only cg show I've seen that not only looked good (in terms of animation, color, lighting) but had fantastic content and amazing choreography.

Gravidee

Anime and CG do not mix, when will Japan learn.

If all you've seen was the new Berserk series, maybe. It really depends on the studio as well as the talent involved. CG anime can look great.

tumblr_nfg0sqvP7Q1tluev3o1_500.gif

7ugWddw.gif

idq4omf8q0khqgwh8kks.GIF

The two gifs below are from Knight of Sidonia, which Polygon Pictures worked on. They also did the animation for Tron Uprising.

tumblr_naid64dnDp1r4vymlo1_500.gif

tumblr_n7tfgfOMXb1sj985ho4_500.gif

BokehKing

Banned
If all you've seen was the new Berserk series, maybe. It really depends on the studio as well as the talent involved. CG anime can look great.

7ugWddw.gif

idq4omf8q0khqgwh8kks.GIF

The two gifs below are from Knight of Sidonia, which Polygon Pictures worked on. They also did the animation for Tron Uprising.

yea see, i'm totally ok with that as long as I'm getting the big guy destroying cities and fighting other kaiju with out it being all held back by studio money....a drawing is a drawing no?

BokehKing

Banned
But will it be as good as

R1F91fK.jpg

Only good thing to come out of the 98 debacle

--edit

Oh, it's CG. So I guess the answer to my question is no
And as far as this, it was good but I still have problems because the name associated with it. I mean it's great see all the kaiju fights but it's still a slim dinosaur that looks like a iguana that does not resemble Godzilla.

Godzilla has a history of not looking like Godzilla so I've has this problem for a long while.

98 Godzilla cartoon
Hanna Barbara Godzilla
Marvel Godzilla
Code:
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/GodzillaComics_23.jpg[/img]

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

7ugWddw.gif

idq4omf8q0khqgwh8kks.GIF

What are the top 3 images from?

I'll never understand why one thread title rises while another falters.

Exactly.

Polygon Pictures is the single largest CG studio in Japan with well over a hundred employees, and has a huge variety of output. The relative quality is a matter of budget and art direction.

That being said, it's probably no coincidence that the teaser image is in a seemingly stark, non-urban environment. I trust Urobuchi to write a mind-bending story without needing to rely on devastation spectacle, which there's presumably more than enough of in Anno's film.

Also arbitrary bonus - my favorite piece of CG from a Japanese studio. From "Cassette Girl" made by Studio Khara, of Evangelion fame.

tumblr_nvzgmjRpxH1u1w094o1_540.gif

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
For those wondering what good CGI anime looks like:

PedMC1A.gif

dxiodm.gif

There is a gaffer who worked on this movie as well!

7ugWddw.gif

idq4omf8q0khqgwh8kks.GIF

Fair point about Expelled from Paradise, though Knights of Sidonia (at least the first season anyway since I didn't watch the second) looks pretty awkward outside of those mech battles.

Rymuth

Urobuchi, eh?

Does Godzilla have the cure for cancer and we end up killing him or something? No, wait...I got it! Godzilla is the reborn soul of the main character's lover and they wind up killing them.

Gravidee

Urobuchi, eh?

Does Godzilla have the cure for cancer and we end up killing him or something? No, wait...I got it! Godzilla is the reborn soul of the main character's lover and they wind up killing them.

I guess it would depend on what Urobuchi wants to do.

Honestly, I don't really know what to expect plotwise out of this. Based on that one image it looks like this will be set in the near future? Perhaps that location they are in is Monster Island? I dunno.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Urobuchi, eh?

No the real monster was us all along and godzilla is jesus.

I don't care if you can still see pencil lines and it's not hi def, and the coloring is a rush job. 2d animation is boss and can't be beat and I can't believe it's more expensive than creating everything in 3d to modern CG expectations.

Lame.

Gravidee

I don't care if you can still see pencil lines and it's not hi def, and the coloring is a rush job. 2d animation is boss and can't be beat and I can't believe it's more expensive than creating everything in 3d to modern CG expectations.

Lame.

What the hell are you complaining about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom