• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh...is anyone playing Red Faction: Armageddon? |OT by default|

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
jaundicejuice said:
I played through the campaign on normal, the only time I died was when I offed myself with the singularity rifle and fell into a pit of lava. I came close to dying a number of times late in the campaign when fighting some of the larger bugs. The wraiths, berzerkers and behemoths start to get thrown at you in large numbers near the end.

I'm not familiar with the demo, since the only PC one was on OnLive (wat), what was the highest diffcult the demo could go to? Insane or simply Hard?

I haven't tried Infestation or Ruin yet, but I do plan on doing another run through Armageddon's campaign on Hard or Insane depending upon how easy an over-powered Darius makes it.
The demo could go up to insane, which still didn't seem as difficult as RF:G's normal. The journos said that the last waves of Infestation would be impossible, so maybe those would offer me a challenge.

Jaffaboy

As soon as I found out there was no competitive multiplayer my interest dropped a lot. I loved the multi in Guerrilla, one of the most fun multiplayer experiences I've ever had but to not include it in this game doesn't make sense to me. I know a fair few people that would probably disagree about the multiplayer from Guerrilla but leaving it out all together was a terrible choice.

Also the demo really didn't impress me in any way, so I really can't see myself picking this up until its really cheap, or even at all.

george_us

This game is fucking awesome, like a good hot dog from a stand. Sure it's not the highest quality food you could be eating but damn if it isn't satisfying.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jaffaboy said:
As soon as I found out there was no competitive multiplayer my interest dropped a lot. I loved the multi in Guerrilla, one of the most fun multiplayer experiences I've ever had but to not include it in this game doesn't make sense to me. I know a fair few people that would probably disagree about the multiplayer from Guerrilla but leaving it out all together was a terrible choice.

Also the demo really didn't impress me in any way, so I really can't see myself picking this up until its really cheap, or even at all.
RF:G's lead multiplayer designer parted ways with Volition and made his own company (Radiangames). That might have had something to do with the lack of multi in RF:A.

If you feel like playing multi the Armageddon pre-order bonus and RF:G sale put asses back in the RF:G servers on the PC side. Don't know how long that'll last though.

I'd appreciate an in-depth counter point to my earlier posts in the thread. Seeing comments like the characters, weapons, combat/gunplay and environments are generic is, at best, a shallow and lazy criticism which also kind of nonsensical given the previous game in the series. The "town" of Bastion and its surrounding cave systems (which is all anyone is likely seeing if they're barely playing any of the game) are somehow more generic than the limited palette of pre-fab structures in Guerrilla, really?

How is Darius Mason more generic than Alec Mason? I've seen a few remarks dismissing Darius as a generic space marine. Darius is only in the Red Faction (i.e. a space marine) for the tutorial level, after that Darius and Alec are practically the same design, Darius' clothing is such that he looks similar to Alec for well over the first half of the game. If you hate Darius' design, what makes Alec palatable?

How are the aliens/bugs generic? They actually look like a reference to creatures from the first Red Faction. Things Capek, whose visage you see as a holographic monument when you first enter the ruins in Armageddon, dubbed his successful experiments in the first Red Faction. How many other games are there with this exact same or similar design? What makes them generic?

The aliens/bugs don't have the brightest A.I. but their erratic movement patterns lead to asymmetrical combat, you're actively tracking and shooting throughout the entire environment. The EDF and Marauders in Guerrilla are milling pylons only made dangerous in large numbers. How is Armageddon's combat generic? Someone mentioned the bugs being similar to play against like the Flood from Halo 3, I believe.

The one comment I really don't get is that the guns are generic. Sure there's the standard pistol variants, assault rifle, shotgun and rocket launcher but you start off in the tutorial level with a charging plasma rifle which has some pretty awesome destructive capabilities and the weapons only get more esoteric from there. Magnet gun, remote charge launcher, pulse grenade launcher, nano rifle, plasma beam rifle, rail gun (THE weapon of the RF series in my humble opinion) and a bloody singularity rifle. The weapons are dolled out at a pretty healthy, consistent rate and they get more pyrotechnically spectacular and fun to use. Someone earlier mentioned that they didn't bother using anything beyond the magnet gun or rocket launcher. What? How do you not use the gun that shoots miniature black holes? How do you not find that useful for crowd control? Better yet, In Armageddon you don't have to grind for scrap to make any of these weapons useful or powerful. You can purchase some generic abilities/upgrades for Darius that improve all weapons but all of the weapons start out useful, unlike Guerrilla with the vanilla Grinder or Arc Welder being a prime example of damned near useless. The weapons in Guerrilla are much more pedestrian in terms of their functionality and the damage they could cause.

Sure the plot and dialogue in Armageddon are pulpy trash, but how is that different from any other entry in the series? That's half the fun of a Red Faction game.

Chiggs

Gold Member
jaundicejuice said:
THESIS ON RED FACTION: ARMAGEDDON.

I certainly don't think the game is bad, but it does feel somewhat stale. The first 3-4 hours are incredibly boring and lack the same sort of punch that Guerilla delivered.

On the subject of the aliens, I only found the larger variety to be interesting. The smaller ones were extremely annoying. Generic? No. Dumb? Kind of.

In terms of story, somehow Guerilla delivered a better narrative (I know, sounds silly). Armageddon's cast and plot are craptastic...nothing overly offensive like Gears of War, but for something that tried to be more along the lines of Dead Space, there was a real lack of tension and scares. And that's what sucked the most (besides the half-assed love interest).

The game is not a disaster, but it's just a real big letdown. Guerilla, for me, was one of the best games of this generation. Easily cracking my personal top ten. The only thing I liked more in Armageddon were the weapons--nothing else.

Havok

So, I just beat this.

endgame story spoiler question:

Why the fuck didn't they try to repair the terraformer when it, y'know, broke, instead of waiting for Halo 3's level Cortana/the last hour of both Dead Space games to invade years later, barring the game from being a good sequel to Guerilla?

Very disappointed, especially since this was already a rental for me, and I didn't know the Ruin mode required a code. The reason I was interested in the game in the first place :/

Havok said:
So, I just beat this.

endgame story spoiler question:

Why the fuck didn't they try to repair the terraformer when it, y'know, broke, instead of waiting for Halo 3's level Cortana/the last hour of both Dead Space games to invade years later, barring the game from being a good sequel to Guerilla?

Very disappointed, especially since this was already a rental for me, and I didn't know the Ruin mode required a code. The reason I was interested in the game in the first place :/
Can't you buy the unlock code online? I guess it'd be like $10 then. =(

I can see why they did it though, I imagine there will be a great influx of used copies going by reactions around here.

Havok

Neuromancer said:
Can't you buy the unlock code online? I guess it'd be like $10 then. =(

I can see why they did it though, I imagine there will be a great influx of used copies going by reactions around here.
I just looked, it's five bucks. Not too bad (its definitely tempting me), its just a shame that the rest of the game was as mediocre as it was. I'll probably end up getting it before I have to take it back, but its hard when Guerilla is sitting right next to me and I could just pop that in instead.

Finished

Fully decked out Mason is fun times but yeah, unfortunately everything else takes a back seat. This really ended up feeling like Volition needed to put a game out now and leverage the tech they spent years making. They said they were focusing on story, but I find that kinda bullshit cause the story here is either a complete, clichéd, rushed, mess or it's just non-existent and is there only to serve putting you in another cave with leapers.

I did have fun it though. But it ended up being more of a distraction than anything really memorable

7/10

Havok said:
I just looked, it's five bucks. Not too bad (its definitely tempting me), its just a shame that the rest of the game was as mediocre as it was. I'll probably end up getting it before I have to take it back, but its hard when Guerilla is sitting right next to me and I could just pop that in instead.
I hear ya. =\

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
SapientWolf said:
RF:G's lead multiplayer designer parted ways with Volition and made his own company (Radiangames). That might have had something to do with the lack of multi in RF:A.
I'm going to go ahead and say it's far more likely it was the other way around. RFGs multiplayer wasn't popular enough for it to be a smart decision to spend resources towards building MP in RFA.

Dreohboy

SPOILER!!!!!!

Unlocked a Unicorn that you can use as a pistol and shoot a lazer out it's ass.

LOL>>... My son just beat this on the PS3.

I'm getting it for PC when it drops in price $10

Jaffaboy

SapientWolf said:

If you feel like playing multi the Armageddon pre-order bonus and RF:G sale put asses back in the RF:G servers on the PC side. Don't know how long that'll last though.

I had no idea they'd parted ways. I know the multi obviously wasn't that popular but I thought it was popular enough to warrant inclusion of multiplayer in the new game. Even after 2 years of the game being out I was still able to find a match easily on 360.

Still wish wrecking crew was made for online.

JaxJag

Banned
RFA is a lot of fun, don't listen to the haters.

The story and characters are your typical Syfy channel fare, but the campaign is a blast.

I'm playing on Insane my first time through, game seems easy even on insane.

JaxJag

Banned
Chiggs said:
I can't imagine you saying that later in the game.

How much later? I'm pretty far past the part where the upgrade machines quit telling me what my completion percentage is.

That was somewhere around 73%, I have to be at 85% or so now.

picked this up for pc "half price" at the target sale (buy one featured game get another one 50% off) with la noire ps3 as my full price game.

had to turn down graphics from 1080p to 720p and that made a huge difference in framerate on my i7 gaming laptop with 460m, now its totally smooth and tear free.

Really enjoying it so far, addicted to blowing every single thing I see up, and collecting all the salvage. I was initially disappointed that it wasn't open world, but am enjoying it for what it is. I'd love to play a remix of the prior game with the repair mode ability.

JaxJag

Banned
I finished my first playthrough on Insane.

I would recommend everyone do the same. On insane it's more like normal for most games, and during the last hour RFA really makes you use your abilities.

I'm sort of wondering if a lot of the flak RFA is receiving, is because on normal the game is so easy it doesn't force you to use your abilities and different weapons.

But I enjoyed RFA. It's not an amazing game, but a solid 7.5/8ish to me if I was going to put a score on it.

Seems like an ideal rental.

I downloaded the demo earlier today. I'm going to give it a try. I loved Red Faction Guerilla so much that I have to at least consider the sequel.
JaxJag said:
I finished my first playthrough on Insane.

I would recommend everyone do the same. On insane it's more like normal for most games, and during the last hour RFA really makes you use your abilities.

I'm sort of wondering if a lot of the flak RFA is receiving, is because on normal the game is so easy it doesn't force you to use your abilities and different weapons.

Because if on insane the game isn't hard. I can only imagine how easy it is on normal.

But I enjoyed RFA. It's not an amazing game, but a solid 7.5/8ish game to me if I was going to put a score on it.

Seems like an ideal rental.
Really? I know RFG isn't the same game, but I found Red Faction Guerilla to be quite difficult.

JaxJag

Banned
shadowsdarknes said:
I downloaded the demo earlier today. I'm going to give it a try. I loved Red Faction Guerilla so much that I have to at least consider the sequel.

Really? I know RFG isn't the same game, but I found Red Faction Guerilla to be quite difficult.

RFG is a much harder game.

RFA on insane, seems more like RFG on normal.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
jaundicejuice said:
Really? I mean I think I stated that earlier in this thread that the bugs in Armageddon looked the like things Capek referred to as his successful nanotech experiments on the miners in the first Red Faction (and they sort of do) but when Darius and Kara return to the dig site, Kara spots an Ultor excavation probe, marker or device of some sort. Like the ruins were something Ultor discovered and excavated. And later the decrypted recording of the Marauder archivist mentions something along the lines of the queen bug is what drove Capek mad but he was able to create a map to its lair before that happened.
So, we really don't know
if they're aliens that were discovered, whose DNA or whatever was extracted to create the mutants or if they are just amutants with no real alien origin at all?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I bumped the difficulty from Normal to Insane at the 50% point of my campaign. What a difference it makes, the game is much more tactical and interesting now. Definitely recommend playing at insane.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
zoner said:
How's it run on PC? Not going to buy it, but I'm curious if the SR3 PC port will be any good.

Framerate is kind of iffy in Dx10 but easy to lock at 60 in DX9. I can't tell any visual difference between the two.

K' Dash

My God, the last section of this game sucks donkey ass, my brother kept telling me to kill anything that moves but there are infinite respawning enemies, I just ran like a bitch and used the singularity weapon.

now after I killed wat was supposed to be the final boss the bastards insist I go by waves and waves of the same boring enemies, fuck this shit, I'll try a couple hours tonight if I don't finish it, I won't touch it again.

So I'm about an hour in to the game and in a lot of ways it's better than RF:G. I mean, I'm not driving around a horribly designed world, getting missions, driving a long way again, blowing up one thing and then shooting 100 dudes with crap combat mechanics.

On the other hand, I have been walking through tunnels with absolutely nothing to destroy. What the fuck? This game has one USP: The destruction. So far, outside of the first ten minutes, there's been none.

It doesn't seem like the devs realise that when you're doing anything other than blowing up buildings their game utterly sucks. I was glad to see them get away from the open world, but even a linear design hasn't provided me with more things to destroy. Whoever wanted to turn this into Dead Space 3 needs their head examined.

I want a Red Faction game with no combat, or at least missions designed solely around destruction.

I'm going to push on to see if it gets better, but if I don't start blowing up very big structures soon I'm done.

Double D

Just hit the 45% story mark. I'm actually enjoying the game more than I thought I would. I've pretty much used the magnet gun through the whole game. Pretty satisfying throwing the enemies around like rag dolls, slamming them into the ceilings and having them explode is great.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm going to push on to see if it gets better, but if I don't start blowing up very big structures soon I'm done.

It does get better, but just don't expect any miracles.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I picked this up for the PC last week for about $30 shipped. It almost feels like a throwback. The game doesn't really demand mastery of any complex mechanics and it doesn't force a lot of exposition on you either. It's all about the spectacle. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, and it's giving me Total Carnage and Guerrilla War vibes. But more because of the pacing than the difficulty. It might not appeal to everybody but I'm having a good time with it so far and I think I'll get my money's worth.

Foliorum Viridum said:
So I'm about an hour in to the game and in a lot of ways it's better than RF:G. I mean, I'm not driving around a horribly designed world, getting missions, driving a long way again, blowing up one thing and then shooting 100 dudes with crap combat mechanics.

On the other hand, I have been walking through tunnels with absolutely nothing to destroy. What the fuck? This game has one USP: The destruction. So far, outside of the first ten minutes, there's been none.

It doesn't seem like the devs realise that when you're doing anything other than blowing up buildings their game utterly sucks. I was glad to see them get away from the open world, but even a linear design hasn't provided me with more things to destroy. Whoever wanted to turn this into Dead Space 3 needs their head examined.

I want a Red Faction game with no combat, or at least missions designed solely around destruction.

This is pretty much the exact same post I made last week.

The focus of this game is the combat with the aliens rather than the destruction of the environments. Which is completely fucked up.

It does get much better as you go along though. There's a mission maybe 3-4 hours in where you need to demolish a bunch of infested buildings and it's where the game picks up (and the closest the game ever gets to Guerrilla). The descent level is fun. The surface levels are pretty fun. They start throwing hundred of bugs + those monolith things at you later in the game which is a decent challenge since if you have the wrong load-out and don't use the environment to your advantage you won't survive.

The entire game reminds me of EDF 2017 meets Dead Space with destructible environments. Not horrible, just not even close to what a Red Faction game should be.

In an ideal world I'd like the next Red Faction to be Boom Blox but with this engine. I mean, it was great fun solving the physics puzzles in that game, but imagine doing it on a larger scale with the Red Faction engine.

Now that would be fucking awesome.

yeah I think its a great game especially once you upgrade your powers, feel like bioshock eg with a force throw power

plus, I am now looking forward to playing through the open world one again - I finished on xbox but now have PC that can play the game much nicer, higher res, SSAO, framerate etc.

I would love to have the repair option on the open world one though, I like to look at new buildings when I enter a new area and enemy soldiers can destroy it.

Concept17

Have this on its way from Amazon. Looking forward to it.

Has anyone played through and beaten it on the harder difficulty? I wouldn't mind a little more of a challenge.

Foliorum Viridum said:
In an ideal world I'd like the next Red Faction to be Boom Blox but with this engine. I mean, it was great fun solving the physics puzzles in that game, but imagine doing it on a larger scale with the Red Faction engine.

Now that would be fucking awesome.
I'll sign on to that, would be very cool. The challenges from RFG, where you had a certain structure and certain equipment to do as much damage as possible, were a ton of fun.

Marleyman

Banned
I really enjoyed Guerilla so renting this was high on my list. I went over to the local Redbox and saw that they had one in, so I scooped it up. I wanted to like this game, I really did. It just didn't do it for me like Guerilla did. It was "wipe out room of enemies, go to next room of enemies, repair bridges and stuff" that got to me. The story didn't help matters nor did Mason's ridiculous dialogue with his AI Sam. I cringed heavily a few times when he spoke, which was far too much. I took this back after one night and a half day - I just couldn't bring myself to go through it any longer.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Marleyman said:
I took this back after one night and a half day - I just couldn't bring myself to go through it any longer.

You didn't miss much, and if it was tarnishing your memory of Guerilla then you did the right thing. This is easily the most disappointing game of 2011.

I don't get all the GAF hate towards this game. I just beat it, and I must say it was a very fun, satisfying experience, if the game lacks an interesting story, it sure as hell makes up for it with its awesome controls and gameplay.

One of the nicest controlling third person shooter games I played of recent memory, I love the weapons in this game, even though you get to stick with your favorite four pretty early in the game, it;s still so much fun to experiment with different types of guns here and there, the sound effects of the guns are awesome as well. Anyway I can see how walk into this "arena" and "clear out" enemies then "fix" something , rinse and repeat can get repetitive to some, but for me it wasn't, it didn't feel tedious at all, since again, Weapons! you could attack an enemy twenty different ways and that Magnet gun just makes things so much more fun and interesting.

Magnet gun first shot to the ground, second shot to the alien monster, alien monster goes splat!

Magnet gun, first shot on the Alien enemy, second shot to the ceiling, alien flies up to the ceiling and splat!

Magnet gun one shot on alien enemy, and magnet gun shot two on another Alien across the room, watch them fly toward each other across the screen and collide, splat!

Magnet gun on the top pillar of a huge building and second shot near the hoard of Aliens standing underneath the building, Boom! watch the entire building collapse on them, good f'in times!

That's just four examples of how awesome and unique that Magnet gun is, and never mind that Singularity Canon when you go on Berserk Mode with infinite ammo. Clear an entire room of brutes in no time. of course like it's been mentioned many times before start the game off on Hard difficulty, to get a better enjoyment out of it, it is in fact very easy on Normal. Also collecting scrap metal to buy and upgrade your powers, shockwave, impact etc and other abilities, ie: Health and accuracy etc. feels very rewarding, well paced out "leveling up" so to speak.

Anyway , say what you will , I am a huge fan of Guerrilla, that game was one of the best open world games I've played, but this game is not that game, nor is it trying to be, and I care not if a game is open world or not, as long as it's lots of fun destroying and blowing stuff up, and this game just like it's predecessor, it delivers on those grounds.

Plus the game looks very polished and clean, it's very well made with minimal glitches etc. I applaud Volition for their efforts and fack the critics who didn't like it.

I might have another run through it on "Continue Plus" with that Pony rainbow ass weapon, plus some other extra cool shit on "Insane" Mode. and this is a gamer who 99% of the time will never go back to any single player campaign in a video game after he's done with it once.

If you're a fan of the series and if you're specially a fan of third person run and gun, destroy and blow up everything in the environment games, then don't miss this gem, the game just delivers that fun game play that many other games of the genre fall flat on an to me that's a huge thing, despite its 'pedestrian story and cut scenes and closed in environments or limited and repetitive enemies that keep coming at you.

Top Bottom