• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh...is anyone playing Red Faction: Armageddon? |OT by default|

i'm about halfway done and the weapons are the only highlight i've encountered thus far. super boring ultra linear level design coupled with really boring enemies to fight make this a pretty bland affair.

i hope the enemy design changes drastically soon because fighting these samey things over and over is unfun.

ah well at least it'll be over soon.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Stallion Free said:
I thought Guerilla quite rapidly (sub-2 hours) became an open-world snoreville.
You begin playing Guerilla for the campaign, like any normal game. Then you realize the story is boring and the game is repetitive. (snoreville) Your mistake is that this is when you should realize blowing up buildings for funsies is a great way to waste time and the game's true potential comes out.

Ken

WickedLaharl said:
i'm about halfway done and the weapons are the only highlight i've encountered thus far. super boring ultra linear level design coupled with really boring enemies to fight make this a pretty bland affair.

i hope the enemy design changes drastically soon because fighting these samey things over and over is unfun.

ah well at least it'll be over soon.
I've heard it's mostly the same enemies throughout and a few instances of fighting against other humans.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
IPoopStandingUp said:
You begin playing Guerilla for the campaign, like any normal game. Then you realize the story is boring and the game is repetitive. (snoreville) Your mistake is that this is when you should realize blowing up buildings for funsies is a great way to waste time and the game's true potential comes out.
Too much empty space. I shouldn't have to spend *time* getting to another set of buildings or having to deal with the ridiculous reinforcements that come piling in in clown cars.

Stallion Free said:
Too much empty space. I shouldn't have to spend *time* getting to another set of buildings or having to deal with the ridiculous reinforcements that come piling in in clown cars.
My enjoyment of guerrilla was found everywhere but the singleplayer. that's when the ideas actually shined- The high score "modes" and the mp.

Occasionally you got a mech in sp, then it was fun as hell.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr. B Natural said:
My enjoyment of guerrilla was found everywhere but the singleplayer. that's when the ideas actually shined- The high score "modes" and the mp.

Yeah the mech bits were far and away the highlight of SP.

Mr. B Natural said:

That was one of my complaints about RFG, mechs were few and far between. In fact I don't believe the heavy mech ever spawned in the open world, outside of missions. Really disappointing.

RFG could have really used a garage, Saints Row style.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Stallion Free said:
Yeah the mech bits were far and away the highlight of SP.
Those, the demolition master, and the ones with the paranoid space redneck were far and away my SP faves. The last mission wasn't bad either.

I think RF's destruction engine also lends itself really well to horde/TD scenarios because you can, in theory, dynamically change the enemy paths and use the environment as a weapon.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Stallion Free said:
This sums up why I hate most open world games. "oooh, so much to do, the world is so big!", when for the most part it's just a little bit of content spread across long distances with cut-and-paste missions/scenery.

I did find blowing up buildings to be cathartic for a good 6 hours or so.

Chiggs

Gold Member
jaundicejuice said:
Anyhow, I think when more people pick this up down the road, through sales or whatever, they'll be pleasantly surprised. Armageddon is a really fun game.

I can agree with this statement, but Armageddon's second half is really what redeems the game somewhat. The first half is so depressingly stale.

And the aliens are sort of dumb.

JRW

Im actually having a lot of fun with Armageddon single player, The magnet gun was a nice addition as well as being able to repair damaged sections, also I decided to start off on Hard difficulty for my 1st go and so far I dont regret that decision.

My favorite mode in Guerrilla after finishing SP was Wrecking Crew / Challenge mode due to the mass destruction and leaderboard rankings (which made it more intense / addictive), I'll have to see how the equivalent mode fares in Armageddon.

Finished this up today. The final hour of Armageddon is the most brutal repetitious shit ever. It's just wave after wave of bugs and when I thought I beat the game it goes for another 30 minutes. The final defend the area against unlimited enemies till a meter fills up was just ugh. I'm glad I'm done with this game. Please Volition, if somehow this franchise continues after this go back to the open world formula.

I bought this last night and played about 3 hours/25% of the story mode...it's horrible thus far.

It feels like everything, including the graphics, are a massive downgrade from RFG. Explosions look like shit now and they were the best part (visually) of the last game.

The worst part is the lack of destruction. It was the entire point of the game before, and now it's just something you do because your guns are weak and you need to use the magnet gun + buildings to kill anything.

It's also just so boring and samey. There's about 3 enemy types thus far, nothing but small bunkers, metal staircases and brown walls as far as the eye can see and and no real objectives besides killing everything, repair/destroying a minor landmark and/or flipping a switch.

Why they took such an awesome game and ripped it's heart and soul out makes zero sense. If you're going to make an incredibly linear experience, blow my fucking socks off with amazing set pieces and storytelling. This is just as repetitive as Guerrilla, which is incredibly pathetic.

People have been saying the second half is much better than the first so I'll stick with it.

Haunted

Red Faction Guerilla was my GOTY 2009. I voted for it and everything. So much potential.

Then they came out with the first infos and screens and the massive change in direction, and I was concerned. Further videos and walkthroughs cemented these. Then the demo came out and confirmed my worst fears and then some. I will not play this.

Such a bummer.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The Interrobanger said:
I bought this last night and played about 3 hours/25% of the story mode...it's horrible thus far.

It feels like everything, including the graphics, are a massive downgrade from RFG.

This is the funniest part about this horrendous horrible abomination of a sequel,RF:G was native 720p in freaking beautiful open world and it look way better, this 540p in small levels and it look ugly as poop,how you downgrade graphics when you go into a smaller scale, seriously what the fuck.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The game looks much better than RF:G on my PC using DX11 (playing on my 40" HDTV at 720p). Not sure how downgraded the console SKU is...

JRW

FlyinJ said:
The game looks much better than RF:G on my PC using DX11 (playing on my 40" HDTV at 720p). Not sure how downgraded the console SKU is...

Thats good to know for some reason PC's version of RF:G was way overbright (no in game brightness or gamma adjustments and adjusting both outside of the game via nvidia control panel still didnt look right) 360 version actually looked better because of it. had much richer colors, night time actually looked like night time etc. but It ran better on my PC (solid 60fps @ 1080p).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
JRW said:
Thats good to know for some reason PC's version of RF:G was way overbright (no in game brightness or gamma adjustments and adjusting both outside of the game via nvidia control panel still didnt look right) 360 version actually looked better because of it. had much richer colors, night time actually looked like night time etc. but It ran better on my PC (solid 60fps @ 1080p).

I thought the PC SKU of RF:G looked terrible, and on top of that it ran terrible as well. It was an all around crappy port.

I'm pretty sure they did the PC code in-house at Volition for RF:A as opposed to farming it out to some crappy port house.

SapientWolf said:
The weird thing is that GAF loves Dead Space.
It's also about expectations. We had no had expectations about Dead Space, except maybe "Resident Evil in space."

Our expectations about the next Red Faction game was that it would be be a bigger, better more badass version of Red Faction Guerrilla, and it's not.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Totobeni said:
Dead Space is a good game,Red Faction: Abomination is not.
That's a strong opinion. I'm interested in hearing you expand on your thoughts in detail. Particularly how linearity and enclosed spaces has doomed one game and not the other.

Gvaz

Banned
SapientWolf said:
That's a strong opinion. I'm interested in hearing you expand on your thoughts in detail. Particularly how linearity and enclosed spaces has doomed one game and not the other.
Interesting settings with a fun mechanic
boring setting with a medicore mechanic

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gvaz said:
boring setting with a medicore mechanic

Boring setting yes, but the mechanics are in some ways stronger than RF:G. Some of the rooms are massive and fully destructible, and all the new weapons are much more interesting than those in RF:G (Magnet gun, plasma blaster, rebuild grenades, etc).

Gvaz

Banned
The only thing going for this imo is the fact you can rebuild objects but the range and angle that you can rebuild based on your pointer isn't big enough, imo.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Gvaz said:
The only thing going for this imo is the fact you can rebuild objects but the range and angle that you can rebuild based on your pointer isn't big enough, imo.

Have you unlocked rebuild grenades yet?

I found all the weapons pretty much useless. I only used the magnet gun and grenade launcher until the endgame where I was forced to use all the explosive guns.

Red Faction: Armageddon is fun.

Yeah, Volition have replaced Fighting The Man®™--a theme that's arguably as integral to the series as destruction or its inventive arsenal--with horror. At the same time Armageddon's narrative is more closely tied to the first Red Faction than any other entry to the series. Red Faction 2 was a completely separate experience if my memory serves me. Guerrilla referenced key characters from the first Red Faction with territory and building names. There was also one mission you received in Dust that sent you to the ruins of Ultor in the Badlands and Jenkins discusses the Marauders and their history in one of the later open world on-rails turret guerrilla activities.

Like I stated in my previous novella of a post, I wish that Armageddon took a few more cues from the first Red Faction with its narrative structure and terrain destruction. I think scenes like
the angry mob of citizens in Bastion listening to the soapbox prophet rant about how the Red Faction are hoarding all of the supplies for themselves while they starve or when Darius got accused of causing all of these troubles and having to run from an angry armed mob
would've had more impact if that was a scene the user had to play through rather than watch through a few cutscenes. Half of what makes the original Red Faction so great is that you experience so much of the game through Parker's eyes alone. It would be cool if Armageddon's design took more of an advantage of its more linear nature and re-added the whole destruction of terrain that made the original Red Faction so damned awesome. That said the game definitely does make use of its linear nature for some impressive and fun destruction of all the structure within the environment. And it continually provides you with a lot of fun tools to do some. The latest toy I've been given is the Singularity Rifle. It fires a miniature singularity, which draws in all nearby enemies and structures for a brief period of time, followed by a violent explosion when it collapses. The first time I used it, I killed myself because I was standing on a platform suspended above lava that the singularity decided to consume.

I don't understand the knock about Armageddon being predominantly underground. Aside from being similar to the first Red Faction, there's more atmosphere, unique design and personality to the claustrophobic, dank, oppressive martian colonist and marauder cave systems than anything found in Guerrilla. Even the brief sections topside have more personality in Armageddon,
, the climate is destablising because the terraformer has been destroyed so you're walking through this cultist shanty town in the middle of a storm while it's getting ripped apart by tornadoes
. Armageddon has fewer vehicles but the LEO exoskeleton, Marauder Scout Walker and Marauder Inferno are pretty much better than anything you could pilot in Guerrilla. The Inferno references the submarine and jet fighters you could pilot in the first Red Faction and Descent.

I don't think I'm simply going to uninstall Armageddon once I beat it, I'll replay the campaign a bit to see what the cheat weapons are like (rainbow farting unicorn being one of them) and I'll try the other two modes, provided some of my friends decide to pick Armageddon up. This is probably my favorite Red Faction behind the first one.

kamspy said:
I just think RFA is heavily inspired by Dead Space
's financial success

Like making Guerrilla an open world game wasn't similarly motivated.

You get one level with the Inferno, so far there's been more time spent with the LEO and the Scout Walker, two levels each. Sinatar knows for sure, he's already completed Armageddon.

Took me about 7 hours to beat, personally I found Armageddon to be an enjoyable experience from start to finish. I unlocked new game+, Mr. Toots the rainbow farting unicorn and the Enforcer, which has smart bullets. Definitely going to do another play-through, buy all of the power ups, cheats and new weapons but first I think I'll give Red Faction 2 another shot.

Darkmakaimura said:
There's really no aliens in this game, is there?...
As I understand it the bugs are actually
some advanced mutants from the first Red Faction that were sealed away
so not technically aliens.

Metal Gear?! said:
As I understand it the bugs are actually
some advanced mutants from the first Red Faction that were sealed away
so not technically aliens.

Really? I mean I think I stated that earlier in this thread that the bugs in Armageddon looked the like things Capek referred to as his successful nanotech experiments on the miners in the first Red Faction (and they sort of do) but when Darius and Kara return to the dig site, Kara spots an Ultor excavation probe, marker or device of some sort. Like the ruins were something Ultor discovered and excavated. And later the decrypted recording of the Marauder archivist mentions something along the lines of the queen bug is what drove Capek mad but he was able to create a map to its lair before that happened.

web01

I did not buy this because of the change from
a open world to linear levels. I know there is no way
I am not the only person who has made this decision.

Honestly I think it was one of the worst development decisons this gen.

They should have just reused the same map and added to it substantially
taking the destruction, weapons and scenarios to the next level and improving the A.I.

Being able to magically rebuild things is fucking stupid and would never
sell anyone on buying the game.

How is it "fucking stupid" using the Nano-forge to recontruct things in the environment with nanites? I mean you use it in Guerrilla in a rifle to deconstruct objects with nanites.

So I borrowed this and played it for like 3 hours.

Holy shit is this a slap in the face to Guerrilla fans. Sorry, but the game just flat out sucks. The first two words that come to mind are ‘boring’ and ‘repetitive.’

I mean what the hell? They wanted to focus more on the story and they churn out this? LOL! Guerrilla is one of the games of the gen, this one is simply crap.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tricky I Shadow said:
So I borrowed this and played it for like 3 hours.

Holy shit is this a slap in the face to Guerrilla fans. Sorry, but the game just flat out sucks. The first two words that come to mind are ‘boring’ and ‘repetitive.’

I mean what the hell? They wanted to focus more on the story and they churn out this? LOL! Guerrilla is one of the games of the gen, this one is simply crap.
Is the shooting bad? Are there not enough things to blow up? Does this evaluation apply to all modes or just the campaign?

I'm looking for some detailed feedback here, not just drive-by invective.

jaundicejuice said:
How is it "fucking stupid" using the Nano-forge to recontruct things in the environment with nanites? I mean you use it in Guerrilla in a rifle to deconstruct objects with nanites.
Well I would argue that blowing stuff up in many different ways is a lot more fun and exciting than rebuilding things, in the only way they can be rebuilt.

SapientWolf said:
Is the shooting bad? Are there not enough things to blow up? Does this evaluation apply to all modes or just the campaign?

I'm looking for some detailed feedback here, not just drive-by invective.

The shooting is actually fairly bad. A lot of the weapons feel weak and completely unsatisfying to use. A lot of them are completely useless too. The Magnet Gun is good, but honestly it gets old after a while.

The game is just super generic. The enemies, characters, settings, graphics....literally everything is just bland. And the game isn’t fun too. If you’ve played the demo you’ve basically played the whole game.

Neuromancer said:
Well I would argue that blowing stuff up in many different ways is a lot more fun and exciting than rebuilding things, in the only way they can be rebuilt.

The ability to reconstruct destroyed objects is entirely in the service of the gameplay. You're not the only one exploding things in this game, sometimes you need cover, you can rebuild it on the fly with the nanoforge. Sometimes you get a little carried away in the fire fights and absolutely level everything in the surrounding environment, you can quickly rebuild what you need to carry on.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Neuromancer said:

You need that ability as you can destroy damn near everything, including important pathways, stairs, ladders, catwalks and the like that you need to progress. Thus they give you the ability to quickly and easily reconstruct the environment.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tricky I Shadow said:
The shooting is actually fairly bad. A lot of the weapons feel weak and completely unsatisfying to use. A lot of them are completely useless too. The Magnet Gun is good, but honestly it gets old after a while.

The game is just super generic. The enemies, characters, settings, graphics....literally everything is just bland. And the game isn’t fun too. If you’ve played the demo you’ve basically played the whole game.
My biggest problem with the demo was how easy it was, even on the hardest difficulty. Do the later enemies put up a fight or all they all push-overs? Does Infenstation offer a challenge?

SapientWolf said:
My biggest problem with the demo was how easy it was, even on the hardest difficulty. Do the later enemies put up a fight or all they all push-overs? Does Infenstation offer a challenge?

I played through the campaign on normal, the only time I died was when I offed myself with the singularity rifle and fell into a pit of lava. I came close to dying a number of times late in the campaign when fighting some of the larger bugs. The wraiths, berzerkers and behemoths start to get thrown at you in large numbers near the end.

I'm not familiar with the demo, since the only PC one was on OnLive (wat), what was the highest diffcult the demo could go to? Insane or simply Hard?

I haven't tried Infestation or Ruin yet, but I do plan on doing another run through Armageddon's campaign on Hard or Insane depending upon how easy an over-powered Darius makes it.

Top Bottom