• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So yeah, I'm thinkin' Online Co-op is in HALO 2 now.

Sai

1up's interview with Marty O' Donnel

EGM: One new audio feature for Halo 2 we're really looking forward to is the location based voice chat online, where you hear other people talking from the direction they are at, [with] the relative volume change...

O'Donnell: It's not like this is a brand-new thing; I think Rainbow Six did some stuff like that. We're really working on what we call proximity voice [and] how that works in the game. Because Xbox Live supports voice-over IP, we're always really interested in trying to make multiplayer games more fun for co-op or teams when you have your buddies online. We feel like there have been a lot of people who play a certain way -- they'll get four other guys together and they'll get a conference call going when they're playing a PC game. We would like to give those kinds of capabilities to people who are together in teams or squads or clans, and also at the same time, allow voice that's happening as though you're hearing it in the game. You can have what seems like radio, coming from your headset, and what seems like that guy to your left actually talking.
... :D

Drexon

Banned
I'm not saying this is true, I just found it (haven't even opened the link):

"This info comes from my annual store conference so there won't be any link.

Conference sucked this year. Not near as much free crap as years prior. I did get a handful of sweet things though. I'll get a free DS when they ship, free halo 2 when it ships, a few othere decent things.

The crystal Xbox will be coming to the US in October or November.

According to MS, HALO 2 WILL HAVE ONLINE CO-OP!

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=294509"

WordofGod

Banned
Drexon said:
I'm not saying this is true, I just found it (haven't even opened the link):

"This info comes from my annual store conference so there won't be any link.

Conference sucked this year. Not near as much free crap as years prior. I did get a handful of sweet things though. I'll get a free DS when they ship, free halo 2 when it ships, a few othere decent things.

The crystal Xbox will be coming to the US in October or November.

According to MS, HALO 2 WILL HAVE ONLINE CO-OP!

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=294509"

What other news do u know of about Nintendo and SOny from the conference this year?

SyNapSe

wow, a free DS and Halo 2 and that wasn't a good pull? Must have had some damn nice give-aways in previous years.

Is the Crystal Xbox just clear/see-through?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
WarPig said:
Bungie strenuously denied this as of a few weeks ago.

DFS.

no, they said you can play 2 player co-op on the same screen. They never ever answered any questions yet regarding Online co-op

WarPig

DopeyFish said:
no, they said you can play 2 player co-op on the same screen. They never ever answered any questions yet regarding Online co-op

You just keep believing, then.

DFS.

Drexon

Banned
I think they're just reaaally puching their "Let's be douché bags and not release ANY SP information, at all" policy.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Drexon said:
I think they're just reaaally puching their "Let's be douché bags and not release ANY SP information, at all" policy.

49 days of it left dude, it's not so bad. I'm just starting to have withdrawals is all.

*foams at mouth*

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well if you want new info you could always look at what i estimate to be the millionth page of wav files at ilovebees.com that might lead somewhere.

ced

It seems to me its one of the "surprise" features they want to keep a secret as long as possible.

I really expect online co op for 2 people to be in.

Drexon

Banned
Oh craaap. I just realized I don't want to download this before it's released in europe. Man, I will go totally CRAZY during those 2 days of wait.

You: "OMG OMG OMG OMG, this game just made me triple ejaculate!111onehundredandeleven"

Me: "OMG OMG OMGilllkillmyselfnow!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Drexon said:
Oh craaap. I just realized I don't want to download this before it's released in europe. Man, I will go totally CRAZY during those 2 days of wait.

You: "OMG OMG OMG OMG, this game just made me triple ejaculate!111onehundredandeleven"

Me: "OMG OMG OMGilllkillmyselfnow!

Yeah same for me, think im gonna block GAF for those two days.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is why writing for a magazine or a newspaper makes being european a little less painful (points fingers at Ghost and Drexon and laughs :p)

Well, I hope MS ships some discs to the mainstream press... otherwhise I will cry with you :(

Sai

Playing with a friend across the country in HALO 2's massive Single Player maps on Legendary difficulty with your own screen >>>>>>> Playing Deathmatch with a couple of fools.

dorio

Banned
DopeyFish said:
When did they confirm no system link coop. Link please.

dorio

Banned
Ramirez said:
I've never understood why this is such a big thing you all want...just play them in deathmatch,big deal :p
You obviously haven't played the game. There is a big difference a stupid deathmatch game and Halo coop.

I'm not referring to the poster. I'm referring to the quoted article. He mentions co-op with buddies. Co-op just means cooperation and people do cooperate in team DM. The following sentence just seems to strengthen that idea. He talks about clans... clans do team DM. Why would they utilize co-op for the main game for that?

I wouldn't take a random outside comment like that to heart when it can be read other ways... especially when Bungie has been saying no all this time.

dorio

Banned
Semjaza Azazel said:
I'm not referring to the poster. I'm referring to the quoted article. He mentions co-op with buddies. Co-op just means cooperation and people do cooperate in team DM. The following sentence just seems to strengthen that idea. He talks about clans... clans do team DM. Why would they utilize co-op for the main game for that?

I wouldn't take a random outside comment like that to heart when it can be read other ways... especially when Bungie has been saying no all this time.
Co-op and and team DM are to different game type and I'm sure the producer of the game knows the difference. When has Bungie said no to online coop?

Semjaza Azazel said:
especially when Bungie has been saying no.

That's the issue though. Bungie has not said no... they've really been hedging on this one. The rumor busting article talks about 4 player co-op not existing, and the OXM sidebar only mentioned coop is playable offline with 2 players, without discounting it would be online ... given how hard they have come down on the bots thing I imagine they would drop the hammer on online coop as well.

dorio

Banned
Mr. Lemming said:
That's the issue though. Bungie has not said no... they've really been hedging on this one. The rumor busting article talks about 4 player co-op not existing, and the OXM sidebar only mentioned coop is playable offline with 2 players, without discounting it would be online ... given how hard they have come down on the bots thing I imagine they would drop the hammer on online coop as well.
Exactly Lemming.

I remember them denying that... apparently I'm not the only one.

WarPig said:
Bungie strenuously denied this as of a few weeks ago.

DFS.

I'm reading this and I think a key word here is the "or". Co-op OR teams online. That can be a massive separation depending on how he said it.

My personal feeling on this is that they have been working on online coop but it hasn't been performing as well as they may have liked at this point in time... since they still have a (very) few weeks until the game is done maybe they are grinding on trying to get the performance up to a satisfactory level. Since they aren't hyping up the feature they can drop it if it becomes infeasible by the time final code comes around, possibly later adding it as downloadable content or something. But if they do get it cooking properly it will be in the game as it ships.

I can imagine the synching problems with coop online can be a bitch.

Top Bottom