• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Socom 2 players log on more than all Xbox Live game

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/534/534576p1.html

Sony Computer Entertainment sent out a gleeful announcement today claiming that SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALS has averaged 373,000 online player hours per day, apparently more player hours daily than all Xbox Live titles log worldwide.

Want another big number? The total player hours on SOCOM II is approaching 94 million hours, or 10,835 years of straight gameplay.

As another perspective on SOCOM II's popularity, Sony points out that as a daily average, more than 103,000 unique SOCOM II accounts log in -- equivalent to the capacity of the University of Michigan stadium. That, by the way, is one of the largest sports venues in the country.

BeOnEdge

Banned
*yawn* figures it'd be more considering its the only game there is to play(come on now)on ps2 online, ps2s "service" is free, and there are like 4 times the amout of ps2s out there world wide. sony should be ashamed at the fact that XBL could even be nipping at their heels when it comes to the online component.

BeOnEdge said:
*yawn* figures it'd be more considering its the only game there is to play(come on now)on ps2 online, ps2s "service" is free, and there are like 4 times the amout of ps2s out there world wide. sony should be ashamed at the fact that XBL could even be nipping at their heels when it comes to the online component.

Nice damage control BoE. :D XBOTS, TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft : "Haha fuckers we have HALO2"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Okay, fellas, let's make this a good, clean, fanboy fight. No hitting below the belt and no nipping at each other's ears </referee>

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
You tend to play for a while when you play, that's for sure. I have more hours in that game than most this gen. Nice to know it's a total sucess, but what pains me about it is that hardly any other game approaches it in fun/implementation, etc. online Not even in console shooters. Bummer.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Rhindle said:
Wait, so the average Socom player plays almost 4 hours a day?

I find that rather difficult to believe.

The SOCOM 2 GAF group reserved about 2-3 hours per night for like a couple months. Well not every night but we played a lot

p.s. Im playing Socom 2 as I post this message

neptunes

DSN2K said:
MS already have 1m people giving them $50 a year, I consider that a major head start.

$50 for a headset, friends list and and a personal score history.

They better have dedicated servers for halo 2.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
kaching, when can we play against/with you in SOCOM II online?
Wario, I'm loggin in in a few minutes....

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
BuddyChrist83 said:
For a non-bundled game, that's very, very impressive.

Don't forget most PS2 owners had to go out and buy the Network Adapter too. Plus Socom 2 is broadband only, just think what those numbers would be if it supported 56k. When PS3 release, Socom 3 should be a launch title IMO.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Defensor said:
kaching, when can we play against/with you in SOCOM II online?
Wario, I'm loggin in in a few minutes....
AGAINST ME? AGAINST?!? Why not WITH?

sigh...everybody's against me... ;)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Oh man, you can tell I have a complex.

Maybe I'll jump in, assuming you're not too creeped about by my paranoia now... :)

jedimike

[jarrod]but that's only ____ (insert random low percentage) of the total PS2 owners. Sony isn't making any money. In fact, it costs them ____ (insert some random dollar amount, but make it in the billions) just to run the servers[/jarrod]

Glad you guys are having fun with Socom.

bjork

Rhindle said:
Wait, so the average Socom player plays almost 4 hours a day?

I find that rather difficult to believe.

Not when there's people playing 100+ hours of GunBound in a single week, 4 hours/day on any console title is feasible. Especially now, since it's summer and all.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
kaching said:
Tried joining a couple of times but it wasn't meant to be.
Next time kaching. Check our clan thread in the online forum sometime. Hopefully tomorrow night or so more people will play. GLITCHERS!

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
jedimike said:
[jarrod]but that's only ____ (insert random low percentage) of the total PS2 owners. Sony isn't making any money. In fact, it costs them ____ (insert some random dollar amount, but make it in the billions) just to run the servers[/jarrod]

Glad you guys are having fun with Socom.

This statement is not true. Ok, so they don't charge you a fee to but they do make money on it. Take the 1st Socom, Sony charged $60 with mic and $50 without and guess what, that price never dropped until a few months before Socom 2 cameout. Instead of making it PS2 Greatest Hits $20 game, Sony left Socom at $50 for a long time. So that is how Sony makes money on it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
WULFER said:
Yep, one great game hope it's a fun one...

I'm disappointed by how long it took you to get in this thread... had trouble finding your pitchfork? ;)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wulfer, there's two problems with that logic that are immediately obvious:

1) The joyous squeals of XBox owners when EA finally announced that their games would support XBL. That certainly suggests there's more than one game that's been available for PS2 Online that's been of interest

2) Last I checked, all PS2 owners didn't live in some isolated region of the world that only sold PS2 consoles and PS2 games. These people who are playing SOCOM 2 aren't limited to PS2 Online only, they can choose to buy an XBox and XBL any time they like. In fact, many of them certainly have. So, this isn't a choice limited to what's available on PS2 Online.

faust666

With all the players that stopped playing Socom when FFXI came out those numbers are pretty impressive.

And getting kaching to join you in Socom is tougher than herding cats. His own clan couldn't even get him out to play. :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
:( I've put plenty of time into playing SOCOM and SOCOM2 with you guys, considering the amount of time I have to actually play games. I haven't played recently but that's specifically because it tends to dominate time when I do, to the exclusion of other games.

Of course, I've always just been a PM away, so I'm not sure you can claim to have really tried to herd this cat :p

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Musashi Wins! said:
what pains me about it is that hardly any other game approaches it in fun/implementation, etc. online Not even in console shooters. Bummer.

Hmmm, that's interesting can you explain?

FightyF

Banned
That's impressive!

Just disheartening that it's an average game that's getting all of these numbers. GT4 will change that. :)

hgplayer1

even though im impressed by those numbers im not surprised. to me personally, its the ONLY game worth playing online on PS2 besides sports games. I guess FFXI would be another but I havent even come close to buying an online game for my PS2 that wasnt sports related besides SOCOM and SOCOM II. Ill admit to stereotyping typical PS2 owners as the kind of people that will play any game thats popular so that certainly makes up a large portion of the log ins. One thing about SOCOM is I cant think of any other online console game thats formatted the way it is. best out of 7 matches with the ability to change weapons between deaths and vote people from your team and just so much other stuff that keeps it from being stale from day to day. dont get me wrong I like SOCOM but nobody should be surprised by these numbers. I doubt even Halo 2 will generate these kinds of numbers for Live because there just arent as many people that seem to be fanatical about clans and stuff on Live or at least I dont see them on a regular basis.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Wario64 said:
Want another big number? The total player hours on SOCOM II is approaching 94 million hours, or 10,835 years of straight gameplay.
Rofl that's so great. I would love to know the hours that Everquest on PC has pulled over the years.

Yay for Socom II!

Top Bottom