• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Socom 2 players log on more than all Xbox Live game

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Fight for Freeform said:
That's impressive!

Just disheartening that it's an average game that's getting all of these numbers. GT4 will change that. :)

Bah, it reviewed far better than "average" and there's a reason besides it just being a shooter that it has such a following. The truth is, despite some occasional issues with glitching (is this worse again or something?) Socom has nailed round systems, maps, clan usage and gameplay better than any of it's competitors. It remains incredibly compelling because despite issues on a few maps, etc. the whole works so damn well. You're likely to have a hundred different experiences in a short amount of time playing due to that. Crazy deathmatch? Done. Stealthy, tactical battle? Done. Likely in the space of several rounds in one game. Add in a healthy dose of experience balance based on room selection and ranking and you get incredible gameplay. Is it flawed? Of course. But IMHO, no console online game has dealt with such a large audience and gameplay selection so well. I say that as someone with a healthy respect for LIVE.

I'd say that with the lack of damage, speech, etc. GT4 is going to have to do a lot to be half as compelling online to this many people.

It's a shame such a stellar game with such popularity hasn't been rewarded with good downloadable support since the HD was released. Thank god it shipped with a ton of maps.

hgplayer1 said:
I doubt even Halo 2 will generate these kinds of numbers for Live because there just arent as many people that seem to be fanatical about clans and stuff on Live or at least I dont see them on a regular basis.

You must not play RS3 at all.

hgplayer1

siamesedreamer said:
You must not play RS3 at all.

i used to play quite a bit and whenever I did optimatches for team games I was never impressed with the number of games that would come up on the list. is that not an accurate indication of how many team games are going on at any given time? going into SOCOMs lobbies is overwhelming sometimes unless I know exactly which room I want to go in.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Sorry, thanks. I needed that. *sniff* keep the dream alive, bro. ;-)

you really think Halo 2 is just gonna push Live kits and Xboxes like magic? I really dont see it happening. I bet I could add every member of GAF to my friends list and on the day it comes out not even half of you will be online with the game.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
The one thing I do like about RS3 Live is you can join a friend's game on your buddy list(I assume this is the same for most Live games?). Also why do all the players go back to the lobby room to talk to each other before a next game round? Can that option be turned off?

hgplayer1

Defensor said:
The one thing I do like about RS3 Live is you can join a friend's game on your buddy list(I assume this is the same for most Live games?). Also why do all the players go back to the lobby room to talk to each other before a next game round? Can that option be turned off?

no it cant be turned off and thats why I prefer SOCOM to games like RS3 and Ghost Recon. the best of 11 format is perfect for these types of games but theres nothing on Live that has anything like it. you get no sense of accomplishing anything other than winning single rounds.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
hgplayer1 said:
the best of 11 format is perfect for these types of games but theres nothing on Live that has anything like it. you get no sense of accomplishing anything other than winning single rounds.

Counterstrike

Tom Clancy games always had the 'go back to lobby' routine since the first Rainbow Six on PC

hgplayer1

Wario64 said:
Counterstrike

Tom Clancy games always had the 'go back to lobby' routine since the first Rainbow Six on PC

CS on Live has that format? hmmm I might have to rent it. I never bothered with it since I was told to stay away too many times and never saw anyone on my list playing it.

jedimike

hgplayer1 said:
CS on Live has that format? hmmm I might have to rent it. I never bothered with it since I was told to stay away too many times and never saw anyone on my list playing it.

You can set up a variety of parameters up for CS including Team Limit. You k/d ratio will be tracked until a team wins the game. Most of the time though, no one sets a limit. I think this is because of a high rotation rate on games. People join and leave servers constantly.

When you check your stats though, your Team Win ratio is worth the same amount as your kill death ratio. So if you suck, but your team is still winning your score won't be as bad as you think. But if your kicking ass but your team is losing, your score will be worse than you think.

Gattsu25

Banned
just making sure :b

for whatever it's worth: Socom is the only counter strike like game that I enjoyed for more than a night...and even that only lasted for a few weeks :\ guess i'm just an avid hater of the war/squad-based shooter :(

Top Bottom