• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

demolitio

Greg said:
How is that different from the 'official' one that was bundled with Confrontation?

If it's similar, the quality is great - especially for the games that support the HQ mode. I usually have headphones on, so I use it with desktop mode and I've never had anyone mention issues with my audio quality.
The quality is great on both as they support the HQ mode. The main difference is the newer headset is redesigned and a lot smaller and more comfortable on the ear. I still rock the old official one with no problems though, so I don't know if that comfort is worth the extra price tag. The new camo color for S4 is pretty cool though. :p

So it's all whether or not the comfort is worth more to people, but I could understand how some people might have some problems with the older headset since it's a little awkward in the ear and the ring is pretty big so some people might have a problem with it.

W1SSY

demolitio said:
The quality is great on both as they support the HQ mode. The main difference is the newer headset is redesigned and a lot smaller and more comfortable on the ear. I still rock the old official one with no problems though, so I don't know if that comfort is worth the extra price tag. The new camo color for S4 is pretty cool though. :p

So it's all whether or not the comfort is worth more to people, but I could understand how some people might have some problems with the older headset since it's a little awkward in the ear and the ring is pretty big so some people might have a problem with it.
Yea I have the old one and it is fine as long as I do not have it in for real long periods of time or over multiple days I wear it a lot because the inside of my ear starts to get a little sore. In comparison to other BT mics it has superior sound quality with the HQ mode. The old one for me seems to have a real long battery life.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
KingOfKong said:
it says you can use it while it is docked/charging (switching output to your television speakers while its docked). have you tried that and does it work well? i imagine you have to use your controller cord since the one they provide is like 6 inches.
i haven't bothered with the docking mode because I hate it when voice chat is mixed in with the game's sound. The shitty thing about it though is that there's no way to charge the headset and use it normally because it auto switches to docking mode when it's being charged.

Killthee said:
i haven't bothered with the docking mode because I hate it when voice chat is mixed in with the game's sound. The shitty thing about it though is that there's no way to charge the headset and use it normally because it auto switches to docking mode when it's being charged.

can you not manually change it in your audio device settings once it is docked?

Killthee

KingOfKong said:
can you not manually change it in your audio device settings once it is docked?
Just tried it and once it's docked the output option greys out and it defaults to the same output as the system. Doesn't look like it's even possible because it looks like the headset actually shuts off and won't turn on until you unplug it if you try to charge it without the dock.

panda21

i really like the singleplayer now, its kind of good the psn is down otherwise i dont think i would have bothered with it. playing it on hard you have to really think about what you are doing and where you place your teams.

45 is really cool, when the guy said 'its always good to rescue a damsel in distress' i was like ughhhh zipper wtf, but then 45 says 'hey fuck you cowboy' like a boss.

Greg

I figured this would be the case, but damn...

Jeremy Dunham said:
All of our patches are delayed from their current time frame because of PSN outage, yes. How much depends on how long it's out
Jeremy Dunham said:
I'd add real time delay to that. So if PSN is down 5 days, patch is delayed 5 days from original estimate (and so on)

You use the mic in docking mode? How close to yourself do you need to have it to pick up your voice? I only have the short USB cable that came with my PS3, and hang my mic on my collar when I want to use it (I have sound through headphones).

Greg

Giriath_89 said:
You use the mic in docking mode? How close to yourself do you need to have it to pick up your voice? I only have the short USB cable that came with my PS3, and hang my mic on my collar when I want to use it (I have sound through headphones).
For S4, my microphone sensitivity is ~3/4 of the way up and I sit about 2 feet from the microphone docked on the edge of my desk. (My computer monitor doubles as my PS3 display.)

Greg said:
For S4, my microphone sensitivity is ~3/4 of the way up and I sit about 2 feet from the microphone docked on the edge of my desk. (My computer monitor doubles as my PS3 display.)

I'll stick with hanging it off my collar then. I may consider buying a longer cable so I can keep it charged if I start playing in a clan.

panda21

it gets kind of ridiculous on hard and i'm only about half way through. i was really liking it but now it starts throwing ridiculous numbers of enemies and stupid boss encounters at you. hope you can turn down the difficulty without having to start over.

Killthee

Ugh, looks like we have to wait till June for the party system.....

Update: April 29, 2011 -- The PSN Outage that occurred on April 20 has delayed the deployment of all patches and DLC; our new dates reflect that. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Second Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.03
Estimated Release: Mid/ Late May 2011

• Repaired multiple issues related to camera collision
  • Added controller options for adjusting the dead zone and acceleration curve
  • Added option to activate a center dot for your targeting reticule if desired
  • Added option to turn in-game XP displays on or off
  • Removed Merits and Victory Dances in Clan Challenge Matches
  • "Ready" Clans are now filtered to the top of the Clan Challenge list
  • Added Clan Lobby Player Counts to Clan Challenge Invites
  • Made improvements to camera while in "Spectator" View
  • Increased Victory Dance animation duration
  • Multiplayer Gametypes are now organized by category
  • Added queues for "Classic Small Suppression. Classic Medley" and "Classic Small Medley"
  • More to confirm…

Third Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.04
Estimated Release: June 2011
  • Activation of SOCOM 4 Party System
  • More to confirm…

Patch(es) TBD
Estimated Release: TBD

• Mic system overhaul that improves UI, functionality
  • More to confirm…

Greg

Wow, that's pretty fucked up considering the party system was supposed to be the first thing added in the newest patch coming end of April/early May before PSN went down.

Glad the camera fix is coming, but there's no way the party system was ready for that patch if it has to be delayed another month based on 2 weeks of PSN downtime.

Greg

The additional dead zone/acceleration options and the camera fix are huge, but with the way the game is set up I really can't stand playing with friends and clan mates without a party system.

Greg said:
The additional dead zone/acceleration options and the camera fix are huge, but with the way the game is set up I really can't stand playing with friends and clan mates without a party system.

This completely. I couldn't join a friend's and/or GAFers game to save my life for the two days I was able to play. And with Brink on the horizon, I'm not sure I'll be playing too much Socom...

DMeisterJ

Banned
It sucks, because this delay does have to do with the whole hacking thing, but for a game that was supposed to come out seven months ago, the fact that it didn't launch with a party system was/is appalling. And I understand why it happens, but it really sucks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Greg said:
Time to join the dark side.
DS3

V0pwN.jpg

Never!

*cuts off Greg's hand with a Move swing*

[Few seconds later...]

ilOlf.jpg

alterno69

Banned
I think i'm gonna sell all my move crap, i really don't like playing FPS or TPS with it, the DS3 is just more comfortable. I think MS aproach is better, games design for it instead of games adapted for it. I don't know i'm just dissapointed in the poor suport for it considering no game has hit the sweet spot in terms of controls with it.

As for SOCOM, man i need PSN back online so i can play it.

plainr_

I just don't understand how the PSN shortage resulted in pushing back the patches. I thought those are created/fixed internally within dev servers, then pushed to QA testing before releasing publicly via PSN. Looks to me like they are using this PSN debacle as an excuse.

Persona7

Banned
plainr_ said:
I just don't understand how the PSN shortage resulted in pushing back the patches. I thought those are created/fixed internally within dev servers, then pushed to QA testing before releasing publicly via PSN. Looks to me like they are using this PSN debacle as an excuse.
Maybe they need to test them on the network itself for functionality?

Killthee

Persona7 said:
Maybe they need to test them on the network itself for functionality?
Probably a little bit of both:

zpr_DunhamSmash // Sr. Community Manager said:
All of the 1.03 fixes and party system were originally part of the same patch, but between the PSN outage and some other issues that have come up related to Party bugs, we decoupled the content so that you had some fixes/ updates while you wait for the party system to be activated.

it was either this setup or everything was delayed.

We think this is the better solution :smileyhappy:

Greg

plainr_ said:
My understanding is that there's the QA team for the developers and then the SCE QA teams that ultimately approve the updates.

I'd assume Zipper has been been testing it internally this whole time, but the network being down interfered with SCE QA.

plainr_

Greg said:
My understanding is that there's the QA team for the developers and then the SCE QA teams that ultimately approve the updates.

I'd assume Zipper has been been testing it internally this whole time, but the network being down interfered with SCE QA.

Ok, that makes sense. Yes IIRC, Seth Luisi did mention patches took a while to pass QA back when Confrontation launched. Presumably he's talking about the larger SCE QA team.

tuco11

Wasnt this game delayed from its original launch date of last fall? Still cant get the party system done even with extra time? LOL!! What an abortion. Isnt a party system supposed to be online 101?

demolitio

TheFuryMGS3 said:
finally sold this turd, no party system announcement pushed me over. Zipper you are serious amateurs.
You held on to it for that long? Unexpected...

I'm not surprised the party system isn't ready even though it should have been. When they were so uncertain during the beta, it put a lot of doubt in people's minds. I don't get it. They take away servers which was a staple of SOCOM and then don't even put in matchmaking for launch? So let's get the worst of both worlds!

LevityNYC

Banned
I put about 200 hours into Socom 2 and never touched the single player campaign. I decided yesterday to start the single player in Socom 4.

While the story is garbage, the gameplay itself is actually quite good. I got through 3 chapters and I'm really enjoying it. I wouldn't buy it for the single player, but its definitely tiding me over while PSN is down.

Greg

LevityNYC said:
I put about 200 hours into Socom 2 and never touched the single player campaign. I decided yesterday to start the single player in Socom 4.

While the story is garbage, the gameplay itself is actually quite good. I got through 3 chapters and I'm really enjoying it. I wouldn't buy it for the single player, but its definitely tiding me over while PSN is down.
Yeah, that's exactly how I felt... except I played through it when PSN was supposed to be down for only one or two days.

Greg said:
Yeah, that's exactly how I felt... except I played through it when PSN was supposed to be down for only one or two days.
Well, it's giving me an accuse to upgrade some of my weapons but yeah it's not a great story at all.

Raoh

Finally beat it on hard. Going for elite next even though I still have to also play portal 2.

But man, what a horrible story to play through. I absolutely loved the single player itself. Outside of this being called socom, the game itself is fun.

The characters, voice acting, story and dialogue were just horrible.

Also mission 14 was a huge let down compared to missions 12 and 13. It's like at the end of making the campaign, someone just threw their hands over their head, kicked their feet over the desk and said "screw it, good enough"

Raoh said:
Finally beat it on hard. Going for elite next even though I still have to also play portal 2.

But man, what a horrible story to play through. I absolutely loved the single player itself. Outside of this being called socom, the game itself is fun.

The characters, voice acting, story and dialogue were just horrible.

Also mission 14 was a huge let down compared to missions 12 and 13. It's like at the end of making the campaign, someone just threw their hands over their head, kicked their feet over the desk and said "screw it, good enough"

ya, chapter 13 is the last level basically. 14 is just a playable cutscene

ugh I'm only on chapter 6, I was hoping it would end soon lol.
I got to play one round of co-op that night before th PSN went down. That actually seems like a ton of fun if you have the right group of people together.

depward

I still cannot believe how there wasn't a party system on day 1. Absolutely unacceptable. Does Zipper think people everyone who bought the game day 1 will stick around until they implement a party system?

Geez.

Top Bottom