• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

wallbc01

Neo Member
just finished the single player on hard and thought it was pretty good. some parts are very trial and error but overall thought it was fun. only had trouble on a couple missions where i would die multiple times. some of the checkpoints were messed up where i would spawn with enemies already shooting me from the next section but it seemed to be different every time i would die and restart at the checkpoint. going to move onto elite next and i expect it to be pretty brutal.

Greg

wallbc01 said:
just finished the single player on hard and thought it was pretty good. some parts are very trial and error but overall thought it was fun. only had trouble on a couple missions where i would die multiple times. some of the checkpoints were messed up where i would spawn with enemies already shooting me from the next section but it seemed to be different every time i would die and restart at the checkpoint. going to move onto elite next and i expect it to be pretty brutal.
If you get stuck anywhere let me know and I'll try to remember what I did. It's all about the placement of your team, so I'm sure if you beat hard you can reuse the same strategies. Just make sure to constantly mark the targets. It's amazing how your teammates can be shooting at a specific target and never take them down, but the second you mark them they're dead.

There were 2 specific segments that I had absolutely no clue what the intended strategy was to succeed. One was because of a broken checkpoint that spawned me in the middle of a firefight with no cover but an exploding taxi in sight, and the other was on mission 13 where they funneled a bunch of the shotgun guys at you through a single doorway. I tried about 30 different placements of my teammates before I gave up and placed my team halfway across the map and trained the enemies out to them.

vilmer_

KingOfKong said:
i am fiending for some multiplayer! i almost came here to see if anybody wanted to play some co-op while PSN was down. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

I feel your pain, brother. This REALLY sucks :(

Greg

How smooth is the co-op? Didn't plan on playing it, but it's my last trophy so I figure I might as well check out each of the levels with real people instead of AI.

G_Berry said:
I'd appreciate a code for the avatars too please. Couldn't access the ad for some reason.
PM sent.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
hey guys i'm currently playing through the single-player right now on hard. I'm currently on mission 9 and i'm really thinking about lowering the difficulty to normal. Any incentive to just keeping it on hard? For those of you who have beaten single-player on hard already, what do unlock for multiplayer?

Persona7

Banned
Hi-tekk said:
hey guys i'm currently playing through the single-player right now on hard. I'm currently on mission 9 and i'm really thinking about lowering the difficulty to normal. Any incentive to just keeping it on hard? For those of you who have beaten single-player on hard already, what do unlock for multiplayer?
I read somewhere that beating the game on hard unlocks multiplayer characters but I couldn't tell you if that is true because PSN has been down since the day Socom 4 came out.

My bluetooth earpiece has been dead for the past year. I think I will go out and buy one tomorrow or monday because I can tell that communication is pretty necessary in this game.

Jburton

Banned
KingOfKong said:
My bluetooth earpiece has been dead for the past year. I think I will go out and buy one tomorrow or monday because I can tell that communication is pretty necessary in this game.

I am in the UK and I recently purchased a new bluetooth headset ....... its not an earpiece but a sturdier 360 headset but without the wires.

Much more comfortable over extended play sessions.

p.s. when PSN comes back up feel free to add me.

shifty100

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Sent all 10 codes out so far, if you need 1 PM me, will get ya

King if ya need let me know bro

If you haven't noticed that huge ass "PSN Down" thread means NO PSN lol, have to wait

I'm here to help GAF, did so with KZ3 codes almost 300 map pack codes/points, and 50+ inFamous 2 codes lol

Gonna go watch Jurassic Park on TNT for shits n' giggles, shoot me a PM, will get you code ASAP

Jburton said:
I am in the UK and I recently purchased a new bluetooth headset ....... its not an earpiece but a sturdier 360 headset but without the wires.

Much more comfortable over extended play sessions.

p.s. when PSN comes back up feel free to add me.

shifty100

i would have done that but I just got a new entertainment system with 5.1 and I have a nice set of cans without a mic. figured the earpiece just made sense for me.

GraveRobberX said:

If you haven't noticed that huge ass "PSN Down" thread means NO PSN lol, have to wait

I'm here to help GAF, did so with KZ3 codes almost 300 map pack codes/points, and 50+ inFamous 2 codes lol

Gonna go watch Jurassic Park on TNT for shits n' giggles, shoot me a PM, will get you code ASAP

Greg hooked me up, thanks for checking on me anyhow GraveRobberX!

W1SSY

dojokun said:
So what is everyone's general consensus on this game?
Single player: Overall an average experience. Not amazing but not poor. The story is average and in comparison to some stories in games nowadays very mild. I felt that my AI squad did a good job and as the game progresses you have better control of your squad by learning how to use them.

Multiplayer: Haven't got a lot of time with it but so far it is very enjoyable. I feel like they have made changes just from beta that are improving the agem and form the way it sounds, they plan on making as many changes as necessary to make the game right.

If you have any interest in the game at all I would say it is worth it. This is a game that if you are into multiplayer, you will get your moneys worth out of. With them, already talking about adding stuff in multiplayer I cannot wait to see how well they support the game.

dojokun said:
single player was way more fun then i expected... most likely because i expected a shitty game based off the reviews. I enjoyed single player campaign better then Killzone 3 and Black Ops (just comparing them since they are some of the newer shooters that I have played). Multiplayer is nothing short of awesome!

demolitio

dojokun said:
The SP is like any other SP game except harder than most and requires you to use your squads at times since they can make it a lot easier on you. I'd give SP a 7.5/10.

Coop is very fun and difficult. My friend and I played it with just the two of us and it brought back crazy Splinter Cell moments where we laugh hysterically and had to cooperate a lot. There's not too many coop maps (6?) but the different options make it different enough to keep playing. With more maps coming in the future, it will be a fun distraction from MP. With that said...

MP is where it's at without a doubt just like previous SOCOMs. They did make some changes to make it more mainstream, but it's still the most tactical shooter out there. A team that works together can steamroll the other team map after map. It's the one game out there that makes clans feel important. The maps are good (Zipper's layouts are still the best) and you can play them over and over again without getting sick of them since every round plays differently which is why I could play the beta nonstop. I'd give it a 9/10.

With a series like SOCOM that's for the hardcore, never believe the reviews. It seems like all the reviews just wanted to BLAZE through the SP on an easy difficulty so they could move on to the next thing. They never even wanted to give the game a chance when the MP is what the review should be based off of after some serious playtime. They knew what they were going to give S4 before they even played it unfortunately. If it was an easy game that was like COD, then they'd try it but then just give it a lower score saying it copied COD. There was no way to please people who didn't want to give it a chance to begin with. :(

Raoh

Finally beat mission 12 on hard. Pain in the ass but I managed to get all the intel and kill everyone, including those two guys that showed up while I was planting the charges.

Died a lot on this one.

Raoh said:
Finally beat mission 12 on hard. Pain in the ass but I managed to get all the intel and kill everyone, including those two guys that showed up while I was planting the charges.

Died a lot on this one.

get ready for 13, its challenging

snack

GraveRobberX said:

Thanks for a code! :)

Raoh

KingOfKong said:
get ready for 13, its challenging

LOL, soon as you said that i started mission 13. and died. often. then.. i died some more. even ended up getting my check point getting loaded in the middle of gun fight with my back turned to the bullets. so of course.. i died some more again. it was late so i stopped playing, about to start up now.

I have to say, i love this map. it would be great for MAG. so many choke points, so many blind spots, so many places to to just have an all out war. The mission 13 map is ripe for 128 players vs 128 players.

Is this map a part of the multiplayer socom 4 maps? and if so how large is it compared to offline and online?

Its the type of map that makes you scared to turn the corner.

The more i'm playing this the more i cant believe how badly reviewers actually are. As much as i love it I can understand why some people would rate it from 7.5 to 9 but anything below a 7 is just outrages.

This is the best shooter since battlefield bad company 2.

PhiLonius

Didn't get a chance to test co-op before PSn went down and this may have already been answered but when you play coop do you still have the A.I. partners or are those spots filled by whoever your playing with?

sleepykyo

Greg said:
so... how about that... single player campaign...

Damnit, PSN.

The frigate, the courtyard (both times) and second helo fight all merit the person responsible having to eat the leftovers in the company fridge.

edit: Also having intel on 45 segments, since I'll never get those.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PhiLonius said:
Didn't get a chance to test co-op before PSn went down and this may have already been answered but when you play coop do you still have the A.I. partners or are those spots filled by whoever your playing with?

No AI partners.

Greg

W1SSY said:
I feel like PSN going down right when SOCOM came out could really hurt the game in the long run.
Confrontation was practically down for quite some time after release, and it still hung on during other major releases while managing to get a number of patches and a significant DLC release.

I don't doubt that it had an effect for some people contemplating purchase, but I'm sure the game will have legs online considering the community.

Persona7

Banned
W1SSY said:
I feel like PSN going down right when SOCOM came out could really hurt the game in the long run.
I don't think so.

Socom fans play socom.

SOCOM 3 still has a thousand players on nearly every single night.

vilmer_

I just can't wait to log into multi again. I am really diggin' this game and it's such bullshit that all of this had to happen at the absolute WORST possible time imaginable.

i didnt even get to play it online yet, my copy arrived the day it went offline.

Loved the beta and cant friggin wait anymore, cant come at a worse time!

mr stroke

W1SSY said:

+1
must be brutal for this game. Probably Sony's most diehard online game being down for over a week after release(maybe time for Zipper to make patches?)

Still thinking about picking this game up depending how it takes to get PSN back up.

well i guess i shouldn't have been so quick to get my new bluetooth mic. oh well, maybe its time for me to try to beat this on elite. anybody know if beating it on elite unlocks anything?

mr stroke

KingOfKong said:
well i guess i shouldn't have been so quick to get my new bluetooth mic.

Speaking of Bluetooth mics, I am still rocking the old Socom 1 PS2 wired mic. Thinking about the Sony 2.0 one-

63Dy6l.jpg

This thing any good, worth the $50?

mr stroke said:
Speaking of Bluetooth mics, I am still rocking the old Socom 1 PS2 wired mic. Thinking about the Sony 2.0 one-

]http://i.imgur.com/63Dy6l.jpg

This thing any good, worth the $50?

thats the one that I got but I cannot try it out yet (obviously). I had $38 Amazon credit from selling them some old DS games of mine so I used it on that mic. As soon as PSN is back online hopefully one of you guys will do a co-op map with me so we can unlock the blue multiplayer guy.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
mr stroke said:

http://i.imgur.com/63Dy6l.jpg[IMG]

This thing any good, worth the $50?[/QUOTE]
Out of the three bt headsets I've owned for my PS3 it's by far the best one mic/speaker wise. With that said, the battery is shit for long sessions. ~4 1/2 hours of use and it'll begin to die.

Killthee said:
Out of the three bt headsets I've owned for my PS3 it's by far the best one mic/speaker wise. With that said, the battery is shit for long sessions. ~4 1/2 hours of use and it'll begin to die.

it says you can use it while it is docked/charging (switching output to your television speakers while its docked). have you tried that and does it work well? i imagine you have to use your controller cord since the one they provide is like 6 inches.

Greg

How is that different from the 'official' one that was bundled with Confrontation?

If it's similar, the quality is great - especially for the games that support the HQ mode. I usually have headphones on, so I use it with desktop mode and I've never had anyone mention issues with my audio quality.

jayb

Greg said:
How is that different from the 'official' one that was bundled with Confrontation?

If it's similar, the quality is great - especially for the games that support the HQ mode. I usually have headphones on, so I use it with desktop mode and I've never had anyone mention issues with my audio quality.

I think they just re-designed the look of it. that is the new official one.

Top Bottom