• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

LevityNYC

Banned
Square Triangle said:
Curious how this will sell. My store had only 2 people pick up their Socom last night while we have 50+ of MK and Portal 2 guys.

I will NEVER understand why people peel it off.

Because its not obvious. The R3 code scratched off with minimal effort with a finger nail. You NEED to use a coin to get the Pro Key off. I tried using a coin once I tore it and it was still screwed up. I hope Zipper helps out as I Pm'd someone over at the socom.com forums.

bob page

LevityNYC said:
Because its not obvious. The R3 code scratched off with minimal effort with a finger nail. You NEED to use a coin to get the Pro Key off. I tried using a coin once I tore it and it was still screwed up. I hope Zipper helps out as I Pm'd someone over at the socom.com forums.
Don't these scratch off things usually only work with a coin (and not your finger)? I've never had one that's worked well with a finger nail, in my experience- maybe if you have huge nails it would work.

FINALBOSS

Banned
LevityNYC said:

I think you're making excuses because you fucked up....big time.

I don't even have nails and I was able to scratch off the Pro thing.

It's absolutely PAINFULLY obvious that if you scratched off the Resistance 3 code...as well as ANY other code ever contained in a game...that you would scratch this one too.

demolitio

FINALBOSS said:
I think you're making excuses because you fucked up....big time.

I don't even have nails and I was able to scratch off the Pro thing.

It's absolutely PAINFULLY obvious that if you scratched off the Resistance 3 code...as well as ANY other code ever contained in a game...that you would scratch this one too.
Exactly. We've heard this same issue with every single game time and time again. It might look like it could be peeled, but people should learn by now as the same mistake keeps happening. You'd think Sony would learn to print something that says scratch here since it keeps happening, lol.

I'm loving this game. It's one of the first games to challenge me in SP on hard. You really have to use your squad in some instances or death is sure to follow.

Playing Abandoned for the first time brought back so many memories and the foliage on the map is actually useful. I was rushing with a teammate on the right side and he gets gunned down so I move off to a corner and crouch in some bushes as the enemy runs right by me for an easy kill. That was just like the old days.

Now if only I could get some Blood Lake on this engine. I remember laying right out in the open in some dense fog while I was the last one left against 6 people in a clan war. They searched the whole damn round and never found me as I'd sit up and pick them off one by one and then lay right back down. I'm usually an extreme rusher, but having to camp in wars was intense unlike I thought it'd be. :D

W1SSY

Got in a clan challenge of last defense respawn. Apparently you play 5 rounds of 30 minutes. Yep totally wanted to play for two and a half hours.

J-Rzez

Psykotik said:
fucking kidding me. no party system at launch? this was so important.

Honestly, this is the biggest flaw in this game. I can't believe they didn't have this up and running for day one. I even more so can't believe they didn't have this in the list of things to have in it when they started working on this game. So many developers are so ignorant to this it's ridiculous.

This game is all about the MP, period. And a Party System is a vital feature for MP games. I can't believe they dropped the ball on this. I'm actually very disappointed.

"Patched in later" can mean so many things. We probably won't see this for a couple weeks, and I'm curious to see how much of an impact this is going to have on people either passing or trading the game in due to this. Epic fail there.

bob page

J-Rzez said:
Honestly, this is the biggest flaw in this game. I can't believe they didn't have this up and running for day one. I even more so can't believe they didn't have this in the list of things to have in it when they started working on this game. So many developers are so ignorant to this it's ridiculous.

This game is all about the MP, period. And a Party System is a vital feature for MP games. I can't believe they dropped the ball on this. I'm actually very disappointed.

"Patched in later" can mean so many things. We probably won't see this for a couple weeks, and I'm curious to see how much of an impact this is going to have on people either passing or trading the game in due to this. Epic fail there.
Well it's not really Zipper's fault that Sony kept rushing them to get the game out. I'm convinced that Sony really doesn't know how to handle big releases anymore.

J-Rzez

bob page said:
Well it's not really Zipper's fault that Sony kept rushing them to get the game out. I'm convinced that Sony really doesn't know how to handle big releases anymore.

This should have been planned out when they started working on the game. Soon as they were able to get it going, they should have made it a priority. Zipper is one of my fav devs out there, but I'm not going to stick up for them on this one, this was an epic fail.

Greg

-SP campaign is not for me... I think the servers will have to go down for me to go back to it.

-Lack of party system is a bit annoying with all the people we have on from our clan right now wanting to play together. They had to know that above all, MP is what was going fuel this game. There's no reason something like a party system shouldn't be included at launch, especially considering they scrapped the lobby system.

-MP performance is great. After playing some SP I was worried how the framerate would hold up on some of these maps online, but it runs so smooth in MP.

-The mod experience requirements online are awful since they changed in the beta. I can't take much more of respawn, and I only have 2 guns half way to mod 2. And then on top of that, the weapons I ultimately want to mod up have rank restrictions.

-The maps are incredible. Way too early to tell about balance between game modes, but the general layout of every map I've played has been distinct. There's definitely more diversity than the flythroughs would make it seem.

darkwing

bob page said:

didn't they delay the game the first time?

LevityNYC

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
Didn't you realize at some point that you were tearing the paper off the manual? Did you just keep ripping hoping it would straighten itself out?

The first part of the sticker pealed off with no problem. Same with the other half of it. Halfway through it just tore.

W1SSY

What are the chances they bring back some of the previous game modes for online? I really would love to see demolition atleast.

Seventy5

I just played a 4 mission co-op session and it was teh sex. It kind of has the vibe of a more focused Resistance 2 co-op mode with a bit of Horde mode thrown in. It's pretty great imo. I also played a bit of campaign, which seems really good too. I played one round of respawn supression, but I want to get on some classic mode stuff later.

Side note, not one person on my friend's list is playing this. Like 9 of them still playing MW2 and Codblops though, ugh.

wallbc01

Neo Member
really enjoying the MP so far. only played standard suppression because i never could get enough people to get into any of the other game modes in standard. may try classic mode out later tonight but i don't know if i have the patience for it anymore. played 3 missions of co-op with two other people and it was pretty intense. i haven't had a chance try SP yet. i was worried about the MP after the last patch of the beta because i kept getting the infinite load screen but have not had it happen once yet.

Facism

What's the uptake on this game with the GAF clan regulars? I'v noticed there's no community thread for the game and i may be swayed into a purchase if enough people I like (ie GAFa/GAFe KZ2/Uncharted 2 players) take it up.

i ended up picking this up and jumped right into multi. one thing for sure is that I totally suck! not sure why but it seems harder then beta was. I need to get out of these respawn servers because it just seems like a cluster eff. netcode is great and the maps seem great from what I have seen. I have no interest in the single player campaign... maybe i will just save it for a game drought period.

Facism said:
What's the uptake on this game with the GAF clan regulars? I'v noticed there's no community thread for the game and i may be swayed into a purchase if enough people I like (ie GAFa/GAFe KZ2/Uncharted 2 players) take it up.

I don't think S4 was that big of a hit with many. I think 'Brink' or the UC3 Beta itself will bring most of the regulars back. *shrugs* A lot of promising games have turned out mediocre or disappointing, UC3 beta can't come soon enough.

J-Rzez

Started up the GAF clan again. Post in here for invites. The majority of people here want to do clan battles, so we're looking for people who will be playing pretty regularly. But that doesn't mean there's not people that just want to play together as well.

The other maps are incredible thus far. Zipper is without a doubt king in this regard. Runs smooth, blazing match making, good hit detection thus far, it's a great MP game for sure. Hopefully they get off their ass and get that party system out there FAST though.

Facism said:
There's a good amount of us getting this. Aj, Broken, CHRP, Ryanardo, and more are getting it for sure.

bob page

J-Rzez said:
Started up the GAF clan again. Post in here for invites. The majority of people here want to do clan battles, so we're looking for people who will be playing pretty regularly. But that doesn't mean there's not people that just want to play together as well.

The other maps are incredible thus far. Zipper is without a doubt king in this regard. Runs smooth, blazing match making, good hit detection thus far, it's a great MP game for sure. Hopefully they get off their ass and get that party system out there FAST though.
Feel free to pop an invite to UncleGuito. I plan on playing regularly (EST time zone), past 6pm on weekdays and more on weekends.

W1SSY

Tried some co-op with some of my clan mates and had a good bit of fun with it. It seems like a solid game from what I have played. Really cannot wait for the party system because like others have said that is a big need.

Greg

I've been playing all day and haven't come across Outpost or Collision yet - all of the other maps are winners though.

Persona7

Banned
Is their any way to tell if the SOCOM pro code worked correctly? The second I entered the hit I got booted off PSN and their is nothing in my download list or anywhere else on my PS3 and when I try to put the code in again it says invalid.

Greg

Persona7 said:
Is their any way to tell if the SOCOM pro code worked correctly? The second I entered the hit I got booted off PSN and their is nothing in my download list or anywhere else on my PS3 and when I try to put the code in again it says invalid.
Yeah, on the XMB go to 'Account Management' - I can't remember the name, but it's under something like services.

Persona7 said:

Check your services, can be found in account management. It appears on the services list.

FINALBOSS

Banned
So I played for a few hours and only have ONE complaint.

Does anyone get LOST during these maps? It's like I don't know which direction I should be facing or where these dudes are fucking spawning from.

I know there is a "frontlines" spawn...but does that change?

Like say I start respawn suppression and I'm on one and of the map...towards the end of the game could I be spawning on the completely opposite side of the map or no?

Yeah, the frontline spawn is 'dynamic', it constantly changes based on where (most, a gathering) of your teammates are on the map/in the heat of battle. I hardly use frontline spawns, usually too risky. Just choose one of two default/safe spawnpoint and the getting lost thing shouldn't be an issue.

KPunk

this game is honestly great, i am really surprised reviewers didn't review the MP more. i mean has anyone ever bought socom just for the single player?

Seventy5

KPunk said:
this game is honestly great, i am really surprised reviewers didn't review the MP more. i mean has anyone ever bought socom just for the single player?
I bought it pretty much 50/50 for the mp and the sp. So far I'm not disappointed at all, the game really is fantastic. The co-op is fucking great, especially with the custom mission thing. It will keep me happy at least until R3 and Uncharted 3 come out, I just hope that when they do map packs they give us more co-op. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is probably the best shooter I've played since CoD4.

Psykotik

played a full match of standard suppression respawn yesterday and surprisingly didnt run into any ghost issues.

netcode is awesome. was playing with a DS3 on default settings. had to turn up the turn speed becaus i had trouble just keeping moving targets in sight.

coop mode was fantastic. joined a random espionage quick game that was on easy and somehow WE ALL DIED right before the very end of the mission.

it was good to know that if people drop out mid game, the match still goes on (unlike in uncharted 2 coop)

Top Bottom