• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
I'd like clan invite too. PSN: Nozdeuce

Should be playing pretty regularly.

bob page

KingOfKong said:
still trying to figure out which guns are best. any suggestions?
I've always liked the IW80 and AK102. Make sure you're tapping and not holding down the trigger too.

Oh, and Classic is sooo much better than standard. Almost seems like an entirely different game.

bob page said:
I've always liked the IW80 and AK102. Make sure you're tapping and not holding down the trigger too.

Oh, and Classic is sooo much better than standard. Almost seems like an entirely different game.

To each it's own. I enjoy both 'Classic' and 'Standard' for different reason. Oh, and let me add 'Scarifice' to the dislike bin. Not feeling that map at all.

Greg

KingOfKong said:
I think there's a pretty nice range depending on how you play. I prefer the KP5 and the PDW - and both are available at level 1.

BobTheFork said:
I'm going to grab my copy in a few minutes. Gregerg, it's time to go!
Yes!

Persona7

Banned
Greg said:
Yeah, on the XMB go to 'Account Management' - I can't remember the name, but it's under something like services.
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Check your services, can be found in account management. It appears on the services list.
I checked and it wasn't there. Oh well, I guess I will just get a exchange copy. Thanks for the help.

The graphics in this game are pretty outstanding, full of sweet vistas. That one scene with the forest and ocean in the night before the first stealth mission is fucking sweet.

I am not really surprised though, SOCOM isn't known for graphics but all the games have some pretty nice scenery.

KPunk

what changes with socom pro? i haven't noticed any differences...and wanted to make sure it properly activated.

bob page

Yeah the graphics are really nice, especially considering the lack of lag, drop in frame rate.

I'm using my parent's PS3 this week- if I redeem the map code and Pro code on this PS3, can I redeem them on my other PS3 as well (I use the same PSN account)?

Greg

After more playing, they should remove the knife or severely decrease the damage it does to make it more of a last resort kind of thing. It really feels like cheating right now. Decided one match to just try for knife kills on Cesspool, and ended up with ~20. I was literally sprinting around the narrow passages and running through people.

KPunk said:
what changes with socom pro? i haven't noticed any differences...and wanted to make sure it properly activated.
Click the game type and up top you can move left or right to select Standard/Classic - you can also join the custom rooms if it's activated.

Besides the free weapons coming within 30 days, they haven't announced specifically what else will be added under it.

Or you can go to Account Management -> Services in the XMB to make sure it's on the list.

Wow, only 300+ posts while MK9 has over 3500+.

Man, those SOCOM 4 review really killed the hype for this game. Maybe it should have been pushed later with less competition. Bummer...

btkadams

bob page said:
Yeah the graphics are really nice, especially considering the lack of lag, drop in frame rate.

I'm using my parent's PS3 this week- if I redeem the map code and Pro code on this PS3, can I redeem them on my other PS3 as well (I use the same PSN account)?
you can't redeem codes twice, but i'm sure you could dl the dlc on two different systems (same account) just like other stuff off of psn.

Shin Dynamo X said:

Man, those SOCOM 4 review really killed the hype for this game. Maybe it should have been pushed later with less competition. Bummer...
any later and it would be competing with cod/resistance/uncharted/battlefield.

bob page said:

whoops i have been holding down the trigger. i will try short bursts to see if that helps.

Shin Dynamo X said:

ya the reviews even made me second guess buying it. glad i did though, the multiplayer is so much fun!

Shin Dynamo X said:

Between the reviews and the very different feel that everyone is use to in a Socom game. It sure didn't feel like a Socom launch last night or today. Socom 2 and 3 were so huge and this launch was just "Oh, it's out now"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, can't belive this actually came out today. Seems like this game released with only a whimper. Confrontation was a bigger deal at release, which is weird considering Zipper is on board with this one.

these games were pretty big last gen

web01

I think the beta lasted a bit too long, they need to leave people hanging for a taste of more by the time it is over.

Regardless alot of people I spoke to online felt it was a pretty mediocre shooter with nothing standing out as amazing and I kinda feel the same way.

Also alot of pople online were complaining about the zoomed in camera and not being able to switch ots view etc.

Not sure what the general online message board consensus has been because i have not paid any atention.

btkadams

web01 said:
I think the beta lasted a bit too long, they need to leave people hanging for a taste of more by the time it is over.

Regardless alot of people I spoke to online felt it was a pretty mediocre shooter with nothing standing out as amazing and I kinda feel the same way.

Also alot of pople online were complaining about the zoomed in camera and not being able to switch ots view etc.

Not sure what the general online message board consensus has been because i have not paid any atention.
i think a lot of fans like the game but have definite issues with it. zipper is apparently known for really fixing up their games with patches (mag 2.0) so i think people assume the weird things will be fixed.

Greg

web01 said:

Technically it's the most solid game in the series by far, so at least they're building/tweaking on a great foundation.

Solid framerate/hit detection/net code were not that common in SOCOM games of the past. S2 never had technical issues fixed, S3 was just terrible overall, and Confrontation took over 6 months to finally stabilize. I'd say this game is in damn good shape considering they have the technical aspects locked down at launch, and three of the big complaints (camera/chat/party) are already being worked on.

KingOfKong said:

The one-hit kill bolt action sniper rifles (M200 and F Edje MSR) can be very good even at mid-range. I'll try using those with the KP5 and PDW-46 SMGs on some map/mode combinations.

As for assault rifles I'll start using the ISR556 and M4A1 and my machine guns (which are very good) will be the ISR-N56 and AMELI.

I think as people get better at the game, they will find that some weapons will do slightly better than others at certain locations on a map.

Here's a nice short sniper montage that shows the potential of the snipers at mid-range.

EDIT: Got my copy, please invite me to the clan.

PSN: Giriath.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think the Beta ruined this launch for two people I know who were going to buy this. They just felt like it was a prettier version of more of the same. This has to be one of the bigger letdowns for me. I was really looking forward to using my Sharpshooter with this.

eroots

I'm loving it so far.. Wish I had some more time to play this week.. If someone is putting together a clan, I'd like in.

psn: eroots

eroots

DenogginizerOS said:
I think the Beta ruined this launch for two people I know who were going to buy this. They just felt like it was a prettier version of more of the same. This has to be one of the bigger letdowns for me. I was really looking forward to using my Sharpshooter with this.

I don't get why.. The game is A LOT of fun. I don't think any other multiplayer shooter has the great map design this has got or gameplay for that matter.. (Although, have to admit I love BC2) I thought the maps in the beta were real good and the full release maps are even better.. I just don't see what is not to like.... There's nothing else like it out there in my opinion..

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
You said it...BC2. They love that game, especially the action-packed squad play. If SOCOM4 gets some good buzz, perhaps we will give it a go later.

Holy shit did they localise all the voice work or has everyone got a geordie in there squad in single player. When i heard hostial down in a geordie accent i nearly spit my mountain dew all over my tv. hahaha. Also anyone who preorded from game you get the preorder bonus map in an email.

Edit: Yeah the main dude is english in my copy yet in the vids ive seen hes american.

Goddammit, all the shops are selling it except the one i pre-ordered offcourse. I would get it at another shop but then i have no code for the map and shotty.

Miggytronz

Ive never played any SOCOM game ever. Im fucking happy i dived into this, also bought the MOVE bundle. I can say after playing with the Zipper MOVE gun attachment that its a bitch to play with, maybe its because my TV is up on my Mantle and im some what aiming up. But either way Im thoroughly enjoying this game.

Add me please, will be on daily: Mikasangelos

Yopis

This is the first Socom game that I didn't get after release. Really hope the patch comes fast and they move that camera back.

KPunk

Greg said:
After more playing, they should remove the knife or severely decrease the damage it does to make it more of a last resort kind of thing. It really feels like cheating right now. Decided one match to just try for knife kills on Cesspool, and ended up with ~20. I was literally sprinting around the narrow passages and running through people.

Click the game type and up top you can move left or right to select Standard/Classic - you can also join the custom rooms if it's activated.

Besides the free weapons coming within 30 days, they haven't announced specifically what else will be added under it.

Or you can go to Account Management -> Services in the XMB to make sure it's on the list.

Just what i needed, thank you!

KPunk

Yopis said:
This is the first Socom game that I didn't get after release. Really hope the patch comes fast and they move that camera back.

1.02 release date patch 4/19, moved the camera back giving you 20% more. The camera is exactly where it was in socom 1,2 (pretty much). The only differences is you actually see more of the character now when wedged up to a wall.

bob page

Yopis said:
...the camera was moved back in the release patch... unless you're referring to something else?

KPunk

The only other question i have....I have a jawbone bluetooth headset, and am having issues communicating in socom, like at first i hear everyone talking in the headset, a few min later it goes back onto my TV..Do you have to press up on the depad to talk? how does it work? is there proximity chat?

Wow just did that first stealth mission on hard. WOW heart was racing, graphics are superb on that area in the rain and dark. Really not getting the low marks for this sp its seems very good so far.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Picked this up yesterday and really think the reviews were unjust. This game is fun as hell. I bought it for the multiplayer because I enjoyed the beta, but I gotta say the SP was an incredibly pleasant surprise. After reading the reviews I was expecting a broken snoozefest, but it's actually pretty fun. The plot is generic, but it's a solid action shooter nonetheless. While having an entry level story doesn't help the game, it doesn't hurt it for me either. I knew what I was getting into. The guns are fun, the shooting is fun, and if you don't respect cover and move with at least some caution the enemy will smoke you. I love the maps and environments as well, very exciting especially with such pretty graphics.

Also the game looks GREAT in 3d. No fuzziness or disorientation like I got playing Blops or KZ3. In fact I would say it's the first 3D game I have played yet where I play in 3d mode full time (besides motor storm). Also, I have experienced precisely zero of the weird bugs some of the reviewers kept bitching about.
Anywall, the reviews are bogus to the point of questioning their bias. If you're on the fence I would go for it.

f3niks

My only gripe with the game(online party system and lobbies) will be fixed eventually with the patch. Other than that, I had a great time playing some co op with my old socom 1 and 2 clan mates. I'll give MP a try tonight.

W1SSY

I like the look of the graphics for the most part but the main character in single player has a weird face in the first real cutscene. The balding guy that he talks to looks good but something just seems off with the main character. Hopefully I can get a good bit of SOCOM in today. Really wanting to try out the rest of the new maps.

Dibbz

How is the single player in this? Is it long? Does it have variety in the missions or is it all balls to the walls action?

Top Bottom