• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soft Serve vs. Hard Scoop Ice Cream. Which is the best!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As great as hard scoop ice cream can be with the amount of flavors and toppings inside that you can combine.....

I have to give it to Soft Serve.

There's just nothing like a twist soft serve cone with rainbow sprinkles on a cake cone.

I still remember when McDonalds still had twist as an option until one year in the 90's they got rid of the option along with chocolate. The bastards!

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It depends. If I'm just eating the ice cream itself, hard scoop.

If I'm putting things into the ice cream...sprinkles, chocolate chips, fruit, whatever...soft serve is the way to go.

Grym

I'm not a fan of soft serve.

Hard Scoop all the way. Great taste, great texture, and all the flavors

- J - D -

krzmVOQ.jpg

Thank you, Costco.

3rdman

The harder the better...Here is something to try: get a scoop of REALLY cold/hard ice cream and then pour some milk over it. The milk basically freezes and creates a crust that is crunchy....Love that. :p

MontyMarx

Neo Member
I'm assuming that Blizzards® are made of soft-serve, so soft serve.

But a Concrete Mixer® from Culver's can sure hit the spot.

So both.

Portman

Thanks. Now I'm going to Dairy Queen on the way home because of this thread.

And to throw my vote in I'd have to say it depends. Out and want a treat: Soft Serve. But home and want to relax with a bowl of ice cream: Hard Scoop.

Now to figure out what to get at Dairy Queen....

Don't fucking argue about ice cream, fucking hell. You people don't know how good you've got it. Out of all the fucking things to ruin with arguing you people are ruining ice cream, fucking ice cream oh my god like the best fucking thing in this world and you people are ruining it jesus christ i'm not a believer but fuck if y'all ain't sinners upon this holy earth, fucking arguing about the gift from the gods that is ice cream.

Goddamn.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Don't fucking argue about ice cream, fucking hell. You people don't know how good you've got it. out of all the fucking things to ruin with arguing you people are ruining ice cream, fucking ice cream oh my god like the best fucking thing in this world and you people are ruining it jesus christ i'm not a believer but fuck if y'all ain't sinners upon this holy earth, fucking arguing about the gift from the gods that is ice cream.

Goddamn.

But Pineapple topped Pizza exists.

Nachos

Don't fucking argue about ice cream, fucking hell. You people don't know how good you've got it. Out of all the fucking things to ruin with arguing you people are ruining ice cream, fucking ice cream oh my god like the best fucking thing in this world and you people are ruining it jesus christ i'm not a believer but fuck if y'all ain't sinners upon this holy earth, fucking arguing about the gift from the gods that is ice cream.

Goddamn.
D- pasta material.

MultiCore

Thanks. Now I'm going to Dairy Queen on the way home because of this thread.

And to throw my vote in I'd have to say it depends. Out and want a treat: Soft Serve. But home and want to relax with a bowl of ice cream: Hard Scoop.

Now to figure out what to get at Dairy Queen....
Extra large Butterfinger Blizzard.

Possible side of onion rings w/ranch.

On topic:
Hard Scoop.

Meohsix

I'm lacto and won't even consider hard scoop.
If I'm going to be in the bathroom all night it's soft serve vanilla or nothing.

Eyeron

Generally hard scoop. Not a huge fan of soft serve, especially the crap at buffets that has no dairy in it and just tastes like sweetener.

This stuff is heavenly, though.

ss15_soft-serve_key-visual.jpg

Skunkers

I feel like anyone saying soft serve is almost objectively wrong. The texture of soft serve is great, but short of maybe Dole Whips, there just isn't any comparison with the flavor of a good hard scoop ice cream. Even just with vanilla, I've only had a few really good soft serves in my life (majority is that McDonalds tier stuff), and even that can't remotely compare to a good vanilla bean hard scoop ice cream. It's just not even close. And that's just vanilla, forget about all the amazing hard scoop ice cream flavors like rocky road, black cherry, mint chocolate chip, cookies and cream, etc. Or your wacky but great Ben and Jerry's flavors. Or the crazy concoctions you can make at places like Cold Stone or Marble Slab.

Blizzards are dope though. And I'd die for another one of those chocolate soft serves from Basic Training.

Ashby

I find vanilla bean to be pretty gross. If I'm having plain vanilla hard scoop ice cream it has to be french vanilla.

I love soft serve, but coffee ice cream is my jam. Every now and then I'll find a place that does Vanilla/Coffee or Chocolate/Coffee twist and it's the best.

Aeana

Depends on my mood. I don't think one is better than another, they're just different.

i prefer frozen custard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom